Engines:
5.6L V8 (Nissan VK56DE/VK56VD)
Power: 320-400 hp
Torque: 393-413 lb-ft.
Weight: 2795-2965 kg
Transmission: 5-speed automatic, 7-speed CVT, 5-speed manual, 6-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front engine, rear wheel drive/Front engine, four wheel drive
Body Styles: 4-door SUV
Additional Info: "While it was on sale since 2010 in the middle east, It launched in Australia in early 2013."​
PATROL_Y62_REAR.JPG

2010-Nissan-Patrol-15.jpg

2010-Nissan-Patrol-in-Dubai-18.jpg

This is a Nissan Patrol:

1280px-Nissan_Patrol_front_20080227.jpg

An SUV built around military grade hardware. This isn't a gentrified off-roader like the Landcruiser. It's a truck.

Which is why peacekeeping forces everywhere use them.

That thing up top? It's seriously uncool, whatever it is. It doesn't even have dual live axles.

This is a Nissan Patrol:

1280px-Nissan_Patrol_front_20080227.jpg

An SUV built around military grade hardware. This isn't a gentrified off-roader like the Landcruiser. It's a truck.

Which is why peacekeeping forces everywhere use them.

That thing up top? It's seriously uncool, whatever it is. It doesn't even have dual live axles.
Landcruiser still beats it's offroad capability(keep in mind the 70 series is still sold), also that is still sold here alongside the top one.

This laughs at the Patrol just like it laughs at the G Wagon.
lc76-2.jpg

Last edited:
The Y61 Patrol is a great bit of kit strapped with an antiquated (and in the the case of the ZD30, hopelessly unreliable) set of engines. We all revel in the greatness that is the 4.2L turbo-diesel even though its outputs aren't exactly that high on the current market and the entire car has been sold with no major mechanical changes for what feels like a millennium.

The Y62 Patrol on the other hand (ie. that monstrosity we're voting on) is a decent engine saddled inside something that more resembles the lesser Pathfinder and X-Trails, that is to say, a soccer mum's car. Only it weighs 2.8 tonnes.

AU$82k that thing costs in Australia. Minimum. And there's no diesel or manual option.

No wonder people price TD42-equipped Y61s at basically whatever they like and they still sell like hotcakes.

The Y62 Patrol is Seriously, Seriously Uncool.

The Infiniti QX56 exists solely so that this can never be Seriously Uncool. Even if the current Patrol doesn't hold a candle to its forebears, it's far from a monstrosity.

Uncool.

The fact that they still sell the Y61 indicates that Nissan is well aware that they've jumped the shark with the Y62. It's totally unsuited to the traditional market that buys the Patrol (traditional market: i.e.: governments and multinational paramilitary organizations...)

LC70... tough call. There are advantages there, but there are also advantages for the Y61. But the fact that they still sell the LC70, several generations after it was officially retired, indicates that Toyota jumped the shark much earlier than Nissan. I do have a soft spot for the LC80, though... that was one handsome and very capable truck!

Last edited:
The Y61 may end up being Nissans version of the LC70 even if it is some 15 years newer.

The problem is the main SUV market has moved on from Utilitarian Offroaders to lifted up MPV replacements, but the market still exists for the former in many countries and will continue to exist in the future, so we get what we get.

Interestingly, Nissan's doing it later probably works in their favor when going for sales to service fleets... the Y61 is a bigger truck than the LC70... which is also a bigger truck than the Defender...

Between the three, they've got most of the UN's needs covered for the next century or so. :lol:

Last edited:
Oh look! Some modern crappy japanese SUV that pretends that it can go off road when it can't even drive on anything that isn't a smooth Tarmac road.

Also it pretty much everywhere over here, I go one corner and a parked one over there, go another road and there's another one, pretty much everywhere. (Still at least I won't see a prius over here anytime soon... ;))

(This also applys to "new" crappy Land Cruiser).

SU all the way!

EDIT: I just readed this...

Additional Info: "While it was on sale since 2010 in the middle east, It launched in Australia in early 2013."
Is this crap only sold in Australia, New Zealand and Middle east? (Not talking about the infinity one)

Last edited:
Oh look! Some modern crappy japanese SUV that pretends that it can go off road when it can't even drive on anything that isn't a smooth Tarmac road.

The new Y62 is ugly, ungainly, unlovely and unaffordable.

But:

Electronic locking rear differential, low-range gearing and electronic swaybar disconnect mean it has the traction, power and axle articulation to go pretty far off-road.

It's still seriously uncool, because it's a (very ugly) luxury SUV.

It's good off road with something other than highway tires, but a vast majority of people who buy them probably will never even get it dirty. If this had been the SUV @niky posted, then I would have gone with Cool, but this Patrol isn't cool what-so-ever.

Landcruiser still beats it's offroad capability(keep in mind the 70 series is still sold), also that is still sold here alongside the top one.

LC has better engines, Patrols have more heavy duty diffs and gearboxes.

They're both brilliant, neither is really better than the other. It's mostly just brand loyalty which is why this has become a Ford vs Holden style rivalry in Australia.

I was pretty disappointed with the Y62, hopefully they do still keep making the Y61. They just seem to be getting a bit too fancy these days, with that much electronic gear I'd be worried about taking them properly off road.

I have to abstain because I don't know what this is but I do keep misreading it as the Nissan Petrol, which might not be far from the truth if the 5.6L V8 is anything to go by.

I have to abstain because I don't know what this is but I do keep misreading it as the Nissan Petrol, which might not be far from the truth if the 5.6L V8 is anything to go by.

Well it's also sold as the Infiniti QX56 if that helps you any. The older versions were called the Safari in Japan.

On a side note, I find it fairly entertaining that it was designed by Taiji Toyota.

Driven by trophy wife soccer Mums with rich husbands for the sole purpose of making the lives of others miserable whilst also endangering said lives on the road.
Epically seriously uncool.

Driven by trophy wife soccer Mums with rich husbands for the sole purpose of making the lives of others miserable whilst also endangering said lives on the road.
Epically seriously uncool.
:lol: I'll show this to Mrs AT. Might put her off what she's after at the moment.

Oh, it's an'uncool' from me, purely because of the generic styling and better options available.

Back