• Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
2011+ Pagani Huayra nominated by JMoney689

2011-Geneva-Pagani-Huayra-02.jpg

Stats:
Production: 2011+
Style: 2-door coupe
Engine: M158 365 ci/5,980 cc twin-turbocharged OHC V12 (rated 720 HP & 740 lb-ft)
Transmission: 7-speed sequential
Layout: Mid-engine, Rear-drive​

My take? Cool. Why? Massive output from a decent-sized engine (unlike that Jag we had a week ago that did it all wrong), it's a Pagani, and even people who don't know what it is will take one look and think "that looks fast". Why not sub-zero? Because, unlike its predecessor the Zonda which was absolutely gorgeous, it looks big and bloated and sort of like a catfish. It's ugly, if not on its own merits then just by comparison with what came before.

Also, the name of this car reminds me of a certain song that's showed up in a few internet videos.

Last edited:
This thing would scare the 🤬 out of any normal person, it sounds like a gurgling monster, and it has active aerodynamics. Not just a wing that rises at highway speeds. Flaps on the front and rear move about as it corners to optimize cornering.

But...

If it wasn't for all the publicity that Pagani got from Top Gear and Gran Turismo, I highly doubt that the company would've even survived 5 years.

This car also likes to present itself as "LOOK AT MAH CARBON FIBER! LOOK AT IT!!" And like the Testarossa, I don't really car for the way it looks

This kills it for me, so Meh.

And remember @White & Nerdy , the Jag had a smaller engine and STILL made more power, while also giving a damn about the well-being of this planet we inhabit. But since you don't really care about that nonsense...

Despite being a Hypercar, and an ugly one at that, I can't bring myself to vote this uncool as the engineering integrity and attention to detail Pagani builds in to his cars is stunning.

Meh will have to do.

Damn ugly though.

I like the Zondas more. The Huayra feels too bejeweled on the inside, and even at first sight, without much exploration, it speaks poshness and luxury more than it speaks performance and excitatory pleasure to me.

But that's simply a case of judging something from its cover.

We all know about the qualitative execution of the materials moulded, and the active aerodynamics involving flaps that respond to various driving behavior, applying air pressure to certain parts of the car for the sake of grip and stability. We heard about the hair-raising experience in unleashing its full power. And there's also something mythical and theatrical about the way it's shaped, somehow it makes me think of ancient Greek architecture. It is still the modern-day epitome of artistry and soulful craftsmanship on four wheels, no matter if the final looks doesn't really speak to me. It is a unique car that dedicatedly expresses principles which make me appreciate one car more over another - the idea of cars as a work of art, and a form of joy and excitement.

And this is all done by a relatively young company, with arguably better results in some areas compared to more well-known manufacturers.

Sub-zero.

1: ) Italian? Check. 2: ) V12? Check. 3: ) Turbos? Check. 4: ) Mid-engined yet well behaved? Check. 5: ) Performance figures out of this world? Check.

SUB ZERO. I would recommend Lord Kelvins Ice Box, but there WILL be about 20 different models of this, and each one will crank up the performance higher that also deserve to be there, and there's only so much space in there..

It's scarily fast.
It's the 2010's school boy pinup like the Countach and the Diablo were back in the day.
That makes it cool.

But the gullwing doors make it Sub-Zero.

Supercars are uncool, so uncool. The anal-level of attention to detail that Pagini gives to his cars, makes it border on seriously uncool.

In memory of Richard Hammond, all Paganis are automatically seriously uncool.

Don't go hating on me. I actually like this thing.

Even if supercars could be cool - they can't - this is why this one and indeed any other Pagani couldn't be:
there WILL be about 20 different models of this, and each one will crank up the performance higher
A supercar has to be special. How can it be special when there's a more special special edition? And then another - and another, and another, and another?

You'll see what I mean when, in 2029, Pagani are replacing the Huayra at last and release the very last honest no we mean it this time Pagani Huayra Tactile Therapod Nuclear Wurlitzer Ariole Edition. Then a run of five Pagani Huayra Gravyboat Editions. Then a one-off Pagani Huayra ZZXXZRX. Then the Pagani Huayra Catastrophic Zombie Quiff Plankton Edition as the final, final, final Huayra.

And then the Pagani Huayra Telescopic Mine Barf.

And then...

The thing that makes Hyaura Sub Zero is the active aero flaps. IMHO, those alone are the saving grace of this car. And then there's the interior that has all the leftover chrome from 70's and crazy styling of 60's.

Zonda's are more popular. Still, it's just another car kids dream of owning.

Though personally I don't really care for it. Cool I guess.

Stick it in the Ice Box. The level of craftsmanship is mind-blowing. I've warmed to the looks and the powertrain is simply crazy. This exhibts the passion of Italian hypercars that Ferrari and Lamborghini seem to have lost.

After pouring over a Zonda R in person a few years ago, I'll readily admit the attention to detail Horacio has is on a whole other level. This car is a stunning achievement when you consider the tiny company behind it, and it simply oozes passion. But, it's still a gawky looking thing, and as Famine pointed out, is from a company whose last product challenged the MX-5, Gallardo, and Mustang for the title of "Most Ridiculous Amount of Special Editions Ever".

I'll probably end up on Cool for this, but impressive as it is, I can't give it SZ status.

One of the most super supercars, which makes it uncool among the uncool.

I love it's engineering and all, I appreciate Horacio's craftmanship and dedication. But this is a car for hard-parking oil magnates and posers, nothing else. Seriously Uncool.

Superduperhyper car usually = seriously uncool.

This one isn't as uncool as the rest for some reason. Uncool.

Can't get as excited about this as the Zonda for some reason. Still Sub-Zero, but a very warm one.

I'm surprised. The design's grown on me ever so slightly over the past few years - as much as a bloated Zonda with an even more deranged interior can, at least - and it does still hark back to some of the definitive supercars of the past 30 years. Though not quite as well as the Zonda [Insert Special Edition Here]. And the name will always be a talking point if anyone asks about the car before descending into a lesson on pronunciation. How cool is that?

Not far off uncool, but I still have a soft spot for Pagani. Generous meh.

It's a second album. And suffers the second album curse.

After over a decade of remixing and re-releasing ever more ridiculously limited editions of that seminal music masterpiece, "Zonda", Pagani has finally, FINALLY released some fresh new jams.

This new album may be more technically polished, with even better production value, but it's still a second album.

I'll always remember the first time I saw the Zonda. I could sketch it out on a napkin from memory.

For the life of me, no matter how shocking it is, I often forget what the Huayra looks like.

Meh.

It's a second album. And suffers the second album curse.

After over a decade of remixing and re-releasing ever more ridiculously limited editions of that seminal music masterpiece, "Zonda", Pagani has finally, FINALLY released some fresh new jams.

This new album may be more technically polished, with even better production value, but it's still a second album.

I'll always remember the first time I saw the Zonda. I could sketch it out on a napkin from memory.

For the life of me, no matter how shocking it is, I often forget what the Huayra looks like.

Meh.

This pretty much.

Manages to dodge Seriously Uncool and only just scrape it into the realms of uncool for three reasons:

1. Pagani have done enough to show that they're more than just a scam aimed at tricking money out of rich idiots, or the ultimately unfulfilled fantasy of a delusional dreamer.
  2. It's not a Ferrari or a Lamborghini.
  3. However unrestrained it is, it's 9x10^99 times more restrained than the Zonda was.

It's a hypercar marvel that, although less sexy than the Zonda, is far easier on the eyes than the other technologically-advanced supercars and hypercars of the modern era.

Also takes Spyker-style interior detailing and ramps it up to 11. Squared. Times by 57,000.

Add 12 cylinders, stir in a massive dollop of boost and garnish with ice-cool gullwing doors.

Sub-Zero.

Uncool. I don't think it looks all that great and it's way overdone in many areas. It's also not a technologically advanced as something like the P1 which doesn't really excite me either.

Plus is has a stupid name and cars with stupid names aren't cool because you'll look like a spanner trying to explain to someone how to pronounce it.

Back