GTP Cool Wall: 2011 Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 (997)

2011 Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 (997)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
Orange County, NY
GTP_GT916
Nii916
2011 Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 (997) nominated by @AudiMan2011
c63-amg-black-series-3.jpg

Engines:
4.0L F6
Power: 493 hp
Torque: 339 lb-ft.
Weight: 1360 kg
Transmission: 6-speed manual
Drivetrain: Rear engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door coupe
Additional Info: "The final run-out special for the 997 series of 911, with a larger 4.0 litre engine which also signalled the end of the Mezger flat-six units. Limited to 600 units."​
Porsche-911-GT3-RS-4litre-09.jpg

2011-porsche-911-gt3-rs-4-0-front-end-in-motion.jpg

porsche_911_gt3_rs_4.0_997_coupe2d-4550.jpg

porsche_911_gt3_rs_4-HD.jpg

2011-porsche-911-gt3-rs-4-0-rear-three-quarters.jpg

Porsche_911_GT3_RS_4.0_(7274186688).jpg

Porsche-review-2011-Porsche-91-GT3-RS-4.0-First-drive_011.jpg

As a driver's car, there are no equals to this. However, the scaffolding/roll cage and racing paraphernalia lets everyone know that the person behind the wheel likes driving, which is not cool.

I love this car too much to give it the uncool it deserves. This, more than almost anything else of its era, is a pure driver's car. It's perfection on four centre lock wheels.

I don't typically look twice at Porsches when they go by around here, not new ones anyway. They're so common.

This one breaks away from that.

I'm going with cool.

As a driver's car, there are no equals to this. However, the scaffolding/roll cage and racing paraphernalia lets everyone know that the person behind the wheel likes driving, which is not cool.

Sorry, what? Since when is liking driving uncool? I thought I was in GTPlanet, not on Consumer Reports.

On the car, for me it's really close to the perfect drivers car, would be SZ but for the (uncool) it gets just a Cool.

Ya, you'd look like a dork driving this around on anything other than a track.
To whom? Them Prius drivers who's automotive knowledge barely extends past the fact that cars have four wheels, for the most part? :lol:

To whom? Them Prius drivers who's automotive knowledge barely extends past the fact that cars have four wheels, for the most part? :lol:

To me. People who drive cars made for the track look like complete dorks to me.

Plus, I feel like this is how the owner of a car like this would look like:

7-Us-with-latest-Turbo-e1327017963716.jpg

The GT3 RS 4.0 is typically not driven by your average middle aged 911 owner, rather by people like Chris Harris, Walter Röhrl, and Francois Delecour - SZ

One of the only Porsches I actually like.

But still ridiculously Uncool, because all I can hear in my mind is Richard Hammond, bless him, talking about its rear-engined-ness.

Plus it's not actually that handsome, would even go so far to say it's tacky.

Sorry, what? Since when is liking driving uncool?

Since forever.

All cars are uncool. Liking driving is uncool. Anything car related is uncool, apart from motorsport, which is seriously uncool. Try talking to almost anyone about cars - and certainly anyone not interested in cars - for more than a few seconds and you'll see their eyes glaze over, and there'll be only one thought in their mind: "This guy's a prat". Try describing how it feels to drive something without sounding like a weirdo. (Actually, don't, because it's not possible.)

To most people, cars are nothing more than a way of getting people and things from point A to point B. Taking an interest in something so mundane is never cool.

I like cars and Motorsport a lot, but they're not cool, and neither am I. Neither are you, or anyone else on this site - we're members of an Internet forum about a video game about motor racing. That's about as seriously uncool as it's possible to be.

The GT3 RS 4.0 is typically not driven by your average middle aged 911 owner, rather by people like Chris Harris, Walter Röhrl, and Francois Delecour - SZ

Oh man, I should have went seriously uncool then. Race car drivers are among the least cool people on the planet.

Roo
Since forever.
[...]

Try talking about anything else to anyone not interested in it, and I'm sure they'll do the same. Trying to describe the feeling one gets from doing an activity is impossible, or atleast really hard. Really, try explaining what does it feel like to play or watch football (or soccer, whatever) which is a "cool" sport and even then you'll sound like a 'prat'.
Think of driving as reading a book, you can, and have to read books for school or work, like driving from A to B. Yet, you can read books for fun, just as you can drive in a track for fun. Just because books for school/work are uncool doesn't mean the other kind of books are uncool too.

Yet here we are, along with another 250,000 members all around the world, who think this is cool, and joined just for that reason. You must be hanging around the wrong people to make you think it's really that uncool. I mean, when I've talked to people I wouldn't call my "friends" (and friends, of course) while they'll never be as interested in cars as me, they listen and even show basic knowledge, which they wouldn't have if it was something really uncool like, say, MLP.

Race car drivers are among the least cool people on the planet.
Does that mean that Steve McQueen and James Dean would have been among the least cool people on the planet, were it not for their acting careers?

Does that mean that Steve McQueen and James Dean would have been among the least cool people on the planet, were it not for their acting careers?

If they'd been solely race car drivers, then absolutely. They were both actors who happened to race cars because they had enough money to do so.

This isn't to say race car drivers aren't interesting people with unique jobs, and it's certainly not to say I wouldn't jump at the chance to race cars for a pay check. They just aren't cool though, just as athletes who play baseball, soccer, basketball, etc. aren't cool either.

Back