GTP Cool Wall: 2012-2016 BMW M550d xDrive (F10/F11)

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 30 comments

2012-2016 BMW M550d xDrive (F10/F11)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wiegert

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
2012-2016 BMW M550d xDrive (F10/F11) nominated @AudiMan2011

1280px-BMW_M550d_xDrive_in_der_BMW_Welt.jpg

Body Style:
4-door sedan, 5-door wagon
Engine: 3.0L triple-turbocharged I6 diesel
Power: 381 hp
Torque: 546 ft-lbs
Weight: 1895-1990 kg
Transmission: 8-speed automatic
Drivetrain: Front-engine, four-wheel drive
Additional Information: The M550d formed part of the launch lineup for BMW's M-Performance sub-brand and is also the brand's first performance diesel model. It is also the first production car to receive a triple-turbocharged engine.​

2014-BMW-M550d-xDrive-F10-LCI-Facelift-M-Sportpaket-Triturbo-Diesel-13.jpg
2014-BMW-M550d-xDrive-F10-LCI-Facelift-M-Sportpaket-Triturbo-Diesel-12.jpg
11e3ab6b2148ab91.jpeg
autowp.ru_bmw_m550d_xdrive_touring_7.jpg
2014-BMW-M550d-xDrive-F10-LCI-Facelift-M-Sportpaket-Interieur-011.jpg

I'd give it a cool barely since there is at least something interesting about it. And at least this modern performance BMW has a reason that it sounds like a diesel.

BMWs are rarely cool. M cars are even rarerly cool. Not actual M cars badged as M cars are so rarely cool that there may literally be only one in the whole of ever.

Quite possibly the best factory Q-car. The wagon would be an absolute beast for a cross-continental dash across Europe.

Cool.

Bayerische Motoren Werke knew how to craft cool, non-M 5-Series' twenty years ago.

(Both those cars are 540i with the M-Sport package)

Not anymore unfortunately. The name of this car, as with many other current BMW vehicles, is awkwardly long, and I feel like it doesn't have the same charm and charisma as the E34 and E39 generations.

Last edited:
Very very nice car, hard to fault... except in the coolness. Uncool. Looks like all the others and is a bit too nerdy about its engine.

I get BMW's naming schemes, but the name is so confusing. I was surprised that this wasn't a SUV, having seen the "xDrive" moniker.

Seriously uncool.

Diesel. Left Hand Drive Only. Overly Longwinded name. F10, one of the ugliest 5 series generations.

Undoubtedly Impressive. Would be a fantastic Cruiser.

Not at all cool.

A diesel with 381hp is cool, but it's a heavy car and a BMW (I personally don't like them much at all). I guess the sleeper aspect of it is interesting as is the four wheel drive.

Meh.

Having to explain why this isn't just like a 520d kills its credibility. Add in the fact M-Sport models haven't looked nice since the E46 and these days it's a rare treat to see an SE spec model means it's also trying too hard in the looks stake.

SU.

It's a very handsome car, and probably quite a good one too; but it's the sort of car which you expect to be driven far too close to the car in front by a man with a huge watch who looks like the protagonist of literally every AAA game to come out in the past decade whose name used to be Gavin before he decided that sounded too plebian and changed it to Gavingston.

Nothing special

Not necessarily ugly, nor is it that pretty, and it is unbelievably heavy; granted 4wd may contribute slightly to that.

Usually if you'd mention a triple turbocharged, fast diesel 4wd saloon, I'd be all over it, being partial to a diesel (don't really understand the hate to be honest), but this 5-series is a tad dull.

Meh.

Back