GTP Cool Wall: 2012(+?) Fiat Panda 4x4 TwinAir Turbo

2012+ Fiat Panda 4x4 TwinAir Turbo

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was talking about what is increasingly becoming the general view around where I live. Most people only really think about fuel economy around here when it comes to getting a car, and will start looking at anyone who drives a car which isn't fuel efficient as a bit of a rich snob, to be honest.

I'm not saying that getting 500HP and that sort of fuel economy isn't technically impressive, what I'm saying is that in the grand scheme of things, fuel economy like that just isn't very good, and cars which get that sort of fuel economy are also generally rather polluting, and I've spent enough of my life living next to a busy main road to be just about sick of not being able to open my bedroom window because of the exhaust fumes.

However desirable I may find an Aston Martin, a Ford Mustang, or a McLaren F1, factors like that simply leave me with a preference for small cars which don't drink petrol like there's no tomorrow. Also, I like cute things, like this:

160px-Kitten_in_Rizal_Park%2C_Manila.jpg

or this:

320px-Shetland_pony_-_front.JPG

or this:

Fiat-Panda-4x4-2-310900.jpg

And, the thing is, I acknowledge that in the US, muscle cars and huge pick up trucks are far more suited to their environment. They actually fit on the roads over there, for starters, and the fuel is, of course, less than half the price. But some american members of this community seem to forget that in other parts of the world, those sorts of vehicles are effectively useless. Why would an already cash strapped European farmer buy a big american off-roader when she could buy a far more fuel efficient Panda 4x4 which is less likely to get stuck and also less likely to break down? Oh, and when I say less likely to get stuck, I'm including the possibility of it getting stuck in the lane outside her house.

The other thing that I'm sick of as well, to be quite honest, is the whole view that car enthusiasts need to like manly cars, and be manly, and be male. It's bloomin' misogynistic, to say how I see it, and some of the statements certain people make really would not sit well with an awful lot of people I know if they heard them in real life...

Think about that last part for a moment. Do you want to exclude half the worlds population from our little hobby?

Last edited:
I was talking about what is increasingly becoming the general view around where I live. Most people only really think about fuel economy around here when it comes to getting a car, and will start looking at anyone who drives a car which isn't fuel efficient as a bit of a rich snob, to be honest.

Yeah and so do I, I drive a 2013 Sentra SV and every time I fuel up it's a game to get more mpg out of it until the next time. I live by the standard too, but I'm not going to stand back and crap on the stuff just because of finances or living arrangement, if I did that, I'd be a idiotic as a certain person saying 4cylinders cant make great power. That is my point. If you're going to have a class status chip on your shoulder and then bring it here...not sure why anyone is siding with you like I see others doing.

I'm not saying that getting 500HP and that sort of fuel economy isn't technically impressive, what I'm saying is that in the grand scheme of things, fuel economy like that just isn't very good, and cars which get that sort of fuel economy are also generally rather polluting, and I've spent enough of my life living next to a busy main road to be just about sick of not being able to open my bedroom window because of the exhaust fumes.

And no one is disputing that, but this isn't the splitting hairs thread, the V8 guys should play ball instead of attacking you and you likewise should lose the economic chip and play ball too. It's fine if you don't like it but when your rational becomes muddled with biases that have nothing to do with the car technical achievements or "cool" factor but because of living it just doesn't seem to be in the spirit of this thread. Just like when W&N said the inane bull crap about "making power the right way", it's ridiculous.

However desirable I may find an Aston Martin, a Ford Mustang, or a McLaren F1, factors like that simply leave me with a preference for small cars which don't drink petrol like there's no tomorrow. Also, I like cute things, like this:

160px-Kitten_in_Rizal_Park%2C_Manila.jpg

or this:

320px-Shetland_pony_-_front.JPG

or this:

Fiat-Panda-4x4-2-310900.jpg

So do I, and that is probably the first thing I've seen from you personally that is an indicator of why you actually like something and not due to a personal set back or living status.

As for the V8 guys, I agree that I'd wish that the more extreme ones would shut up and stop with the nationalism bit, there are a few 5 cylinders I'd bring to a gun fight against a V8 or V10 just saying.

I think, even if I could afford a fast car, I wouldn't buy one. OK, I might buy a SAAB 9000, but I wouldn't buy a Ferrari or anything like that. Just not my style. The Panda is my style. :)

From my experience in Gran Turismo, there are a few 3 cylinders I might bring to a fight against a V8 or a V10, assuming we're on a track with a few tight turns...

I'm not sure. Still just plain rubs me the wrong way when someone who can only afford one car (i.e. Noob) takes luxury and quality as their most important attributes, despite apparently being a "car enthusiast".

Stop, my sides...

"OMG, he can only afford one car, why is he buying something with quality?

It's like he actually wants the thing to last."

in my case, has to pretend to be a muscle car until I can afford an actual muscle car.

A V6 FWD with 140hp has as much chance as pretending to be a muscle car as a Corolla has to be an LFA.

I think, even if I could afford a fast car, I wouldn't buy one. OK, I might buy a SAAB 9000, but I wouldn't buy a Ferrari or anything like that. Just not my style. The Panda is my style. :)

If you had the money for a Ferrari, you wouldn't be worrying about gas costs.

Fun is driving around the west country with a group of friends and The Chemical Brothers blaring out of the stereo. That's my opinion on having fun in cars summed up in one sentence. The Panda can probably do this fine, although a VW Touran is preferable.

Fun is negotiating the twists and turns of an hilly backroad; the thrill of putting your life in your hands, even at or below the speed limit, because you could be seriously injured or killed if you simply don't brake or turn the steering wheel. That's my single sentence.

Handling, light weight, and a connection to the car unfettered by computerized interference or numb/vague feedback. Those things are more important to me than horsepower or torque.

Fun is what you make of it. I've had fun in a Cavalier doing donuts in my high school's parking lot after a fresh snow and I've had fun getting a Viper tail happy because I could. I bet if I had a Panda I'd have fun with it, even with the small engine (actually thinking about it it could make a rather unique RallyX vehicle). Fun has nothing to do with the vehicle, but rather the enjoyment that vehicle brings to you.

You know what's not fun though? Listening to showtunes while driving through the backroads of Alaska in a 90's GM vehicle. I kid of course :P

Fun is what you make of it.
This. I've had equal fun driving a rally-prepared 1964 Mini Cooper through a cone course as I've had bombing around a German airfield in an electric Audi R8, as I've had cruising around the western U.S. in a multicoloured Chevy Astro, as I've had drifting an old MGB through a roundabout, or scything through central London in my old Panda 100HP.

The sheer number of completely different cars and situations I've enjoyed while driving is exactly why I can't understand how limited some peoples' idea of fun in cars is. I don't doubt bouncing around through snow or a muddy field in a TwinAir Panda would put a smile on my face either.

I'd almost rolled my Blazer slogging through snow several times over the years I owned it. That engine wasn't particularly large, I was never going particularly fast, it never sounded very good and the pedal was certainly never buried. It was also a 90's GM vehicle.

Still pretty close to the most fun I'd ever had in a car.

Stop, my sides...

"OMG, he can only afford one car, why is he buying something with quality?

It's like he actually wants the thing to last."

I was talking more about the "panel gaps and interior quality are horrible, car automatically sucks" thought process that seems to show up quite a lot.

A V6 FWD with 140hp has as much chance as pretending to be a muscle car as a Corolla has to be an LFA.

You'd be surprised. This thing's definitely got a nice kick to it (and would have a better if the throttle response was as instant as I like to say it is - anyone know what the best fuel injector cleaner is?)

My 200hp Escape has some punch and balls. Surprised me.

I agree with the whole first part of your post though.

@Joey D & @homeforsummer -- If I were to expand beyond a single-concept summation of what I like most about driving (cheaters :P ), I would also mention that I enjoy crawling around offroad, snowy parking lot drifting, and other activities. There are a couple "shortcuts" too; anything with a manual transmission is fun, and anything that's a featherweight is fun. Whether it's a bouncy pickup with a clunky 5-speed, or the Saturn SL my father-in-law used to have (in spite of its hilariously braindead automatic).

I was talking more about the "panel gaps and interior quality are horrible, car automatically sucks" thought process that seems to show up quite a lot.

If a manufacturer can't be bothered to pay attention to the engineering of the interior and chassis, that lack of care will often show up in other places, as well. Or so the thinking goes.

In other words, would you trust a total slob whose truck looks like a rat's nest to clean your pool? :D

That's why manufacturers pay so much attention to interior quality nowadays. If you can't impress a buyer within the first five minutes they're in the car, it's no sale.

This is not a new thing, mind you. Buyers have always thought that way.

-

"Fun" to me is motion. I must confess, I've had fun in the weirdest of cars, at the weirdest of times. Whether it's three-wheeling round a corner in a Suzuki Alto, or three-wheeling around a corner in a three-wheeled car that's on the verge of toppling over... or bombing along at over 100 mph in a mid-ship passenger van, with the water temperature spiking from the stress... or laying stripes with a turbocharged/high displacement/high-revving/whatever sportscar/sports sedan/truck/whatever on the drag strip... I don't give a crap what I'm driving. If it's fun, it's fun. If it isn't, it isn't. ;)

You'd be surprised. This thing's definitely got a nice kick to it (and would have a better if the throttle response was as instant as I like to say it is - anyone know what the best fuel injector cleaner is?)
You know I own a 140hp V6 FWD car - with 200lb less weight than yours - right? I can say, without hesitation, that I wouldn't be surprised.

You'd be surprised. This thing's definitely got a nice kick to it
Alright, my personal experience is that, no, it probably doesn't have as much kick as you seem to think. For example, my parents' automatic Hyundai Elantra weighs 2700 lbs and makes 150 bhp. The Elantra has a similar power to weight ratio to your Sunbird, and likely has a better gearbox (yes, it's a slushbox, but it's a good one), and I do enjoy mashing the throttle and experiencing the acceleration. However, it's not a quick car. Full throttle acceleration in most cars is fun, but it doesn't mean they're at all fast. At low speeds, the Honda feels faster, because it's lighter, revs more eagerly, and has a manual gearbox. But it's still not fast. I'm sure you have a lot of fun with the Sunbird, but trying to tell us that a front wheel drive car with a 140 bhp iron block V6 is any kind of sporty car is ridiculous. Fun to thrash =/= sports car/muscle car.

They have a bit of light kick for a second then it goes away. That's how I feel anyways.

Now, he will make his life's mission to eradicate the menace that is the Fiat Panda 4x4 TwinAir Turbo.

(I still personally think its a meh car, but whatever.)

Wait, FWD?

I was going under the assumption W&N was driving a first gen sunbird which is at least RWD and somewhat good looking and as such I sort of sided with him (Though only slightly, 110hp in such a bulky frame isn't exactly sprightly)

Do you mean to say it's a third gen??

Oh dear.. I mean, I've been on the fence just watching all this unfold but now I really must side with everyone else in saying how on earth can you believe you're driving some muscle/sports car?

Last edited:
Wait, FWD?

I was going under the assumption W&N was driving a first gen sunbird which is at least RWD and somewhat good looking and as such I sort of sided with him (Though only slightly, 110hp in such a bulky frame isn't exactly sprightly)

Do you mean to say it's a third gen??

Oh dear.. I mean, I've been on the fence just watching all this unfold but now I really must side with everyone else in saying how on earth can you believe you're driving some muscle/sports car?

Obvious delusions of grandeur. That's like me saying that I believe my Sentra is a V8 supercar every time I get in it because it's a 2013 Nissan and looks similar to the Altima.
facepalm.gif

Back