maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

DSC_4965.jpg

carpixel.net-2014-bmw-420d-gran-coupe-10619-hd.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

dsc_4435.jpg

03p90141814_highres.jpg

BMW-420d-interior.jpg

I like the 4GC very much, might even get one at some point. However, it's been the catalyst for too many idiotic arguments on teh interwebz - and if you have one you'll end up having to listen to some rant from a turnip about the number 4, or the idea of 4 door coupes.

Also, since the vote includes the convertible, it's impossible to go any higher than Uncool.

The 420d is an oddly specific model to be nominated rather than having the whole 4-Series engine range.

Typical BMW: Vastly capable and usually driven by tossers.

Uncool. I'd rather have an xDrive 435d.

It's a nice enough looking thing in GC form: you notice them down the street as subtly different than the 3-series. But, it's still a 4-door version* of a 2-door version of a 4-door car.

It's the newest, laziest form of this whole contrived "4-door coupe" movement. The CLS started it, and while the whole segment is dumb from a naming convention standpoint, at least that car didn't have the word "Coupe" emblazoned on the body anywhere.

Proof the marketing team is leading the charge over in Munich. Uncool.

* - Yes, I realize it's 5, but good luck explaining that to most Canadians.

Typical BMW: Vastly capable and usually driven by tossers.
I notice a trend. You comment along the same lines for every BMW. So much for originality.

I would give it a 'Meh' as I prefer the look of the 3 series and even better if it has the M styling pack.

The 420d is an oddly specific model to be nominated rather than having the whole 4-Series engine range.

Indeed, I'll keep most of specification pedantry to myself, but it's odd that the engine and transmission are specified, but not the bodystyle or trim level. Also the new B series engines offer slightly better performance... and I could be wrong, but I think it weighs more than 1450kg

So many weed jokes possible, but I'll pass.

Cool. Stylish in all forms, one of the few non-M BMWs I'd like.

I don't really like the 4-series starting with the name. Why not keeping the 3-series coupe name, because with a new number comes countless possibilities of body styles and that brings me to other issue which is the pointless GC. Why would you do a 4-door version of a 2-door version of a 4-door version. But it's good to see the marketing team is working fine.

It's a good car no doubt, but I have too many grips with this car, and it's not cool, specially with the convertible version. Uncool.

Meh. It's a big, bland thing. Props on the lower than average weight and manual though, but still..

Last edited:
Can anyone actually explain why the whole 4 door version of a 2 door version of a 3 door version thing is even a point worth typing? It's one of the immensely narrow minded attitudes I don't quite understand.

Can anyone actually explain why the whole 4 door version of a 2 door version of a 3 door version thing is even a point worth typing? It's one of the immensely narrow minded attitudes I don't quite understand.
It's merely indicative of the niche-filling, box-ticking that's going on in Germany at the moment. People don't like cars for the sake of cars - like the GLE Coupe - that are made by the accountancy department more than by engineers.

Anyway. BMW = SU, diesel = SU. No prizes for guessing.

The 4-Series Gran Coupe is actually a rather nice looking car. Not a cool one though, obviously, as it's still a modern 3-Series sized BMW saloon.

Not to mention the fact 420d also means the bottom of the range convertible.

Last edited:

What's narrow-minded about commenting on the actual origin of the car? Is it somehow not the case?

Some people still refer to an Audi TT as a Golf in drag, and there's far more difference between those two than there is on display here.

It's merely indicative of the niche-filling, box-ticking that's going on in Germany at the moment. People don't like cars for the sake of cars - like the GLE Coupe - that are made by the accountancy department more than by engineers.

Assuming that such models are commercially sustainable, what is the problem with offering greater choice? People like choice.

What's narrow-minded about commenting on the actual origin of the car? Is it somehow not the case?

In thousands of posts that I've read this is usually offered up as some kind of justification for ranting about the fact the 4 series is called the 4 series. The 4 is the 4, if it was a 3, it would be called a 3. It's mental, I don't get why people smugly post this... yet totally overlook the fact that by that logic, the E92 was a 2 door version of a 4 door version of a 2 door version... and where is all the complaining about the 3 series originally being called a 2 door sedan?

Assuming that such models are commercially sustainable
They'd have to be - that's the definition of a car made by an accountancy department rather than engineers...

Still, 4GC makes for a total of about 4% of 3 & 4 sales. 3 saloon makes for a total of about 60%.
what is the problem with offering greater choice? People like choice.
Actually, you'd be surprised by how untrue that is - people (who largely aren't interested in cars anyway) generally already find car-buying complicated and dislike wider ranges of choice - but even so, they come across as being cars for the sake of cars and a lot of people are put off not only the car but the entire brand - after all, if they can be that cynical for profit in that car, how else are they cynical for profit in the one you were considering?

The fact is that the 4-door saloon 3 Series already exists. The 4-door coupe 4 Series Gran Coupe is the same car from rubber to roof and almost from front to back - there are tiny differences in the angle of the roof that make for a slightly different shape on the rear quarterlight and angle of the Kink. Even the boot space is identical, though rear headroom is marginally worse - as is the choice of engines...
The 4 is the 4, if it was a 3, it would be called a 3.
Well, let's be fair. The 4 is now a 4, having previously been called a 3. It's still a 3, just called a 4 to follow BMW's new delineation of saloons and estates (odd numbers) from coupes and convertibles (even numbers). And hatchbacks (odd) and MPVs (even).

And if it were still called a 3, the 4GC wouldn't exist, because no-one would see the point of the 3GC when the 3 Saloon already exists. It's only possible because someone decided that "4" was now a thing...

This is why people don't like it, bring up the "4 door version of a 2 door version of a 4 door car" and think that BMW is no longer about the engineering, instead being run by the accountants. Except people who've worked for BMW, who know that it is.

Last edited:
They'd have to be - that's the definition of a car made by an accountancy department rather than engineers...

[blah]

Except people who've worked for BMW, who know that it is.

This is the only thing interesting about this thread, and then only barely so, simply because it is the truth.

You can like the BMW 3, 4 or 4GC, or X9QT 2.56 M-Sport iDrivelikeadimwit Jazztronic AWD GranVansedan (or whatever) if you like, but if you do, but you're as boring as they are. Sorry.

I'm also sorry that there's not that much interesting at all going on in the European OEMs. But that's not really my fault. I tried, but they're all run by idiots, accountants, or people living in a different continent who either A) don't really get cars, or B) use very curious banking practices which "aren't allowed" to make a loss. Sometimes this was the fault of the money markets, so if you really want to blame someone, find a banker, stock investor or someone who used to sell mortgages, and go beat them to a bloody pulp.

This is of course my opinion. You can comment on it here if you desire, but I'm not going to argue with you, because I'm right and you're wrong and twas ever thus.

I've decided to make pipes. And maybe seriously attempt make my own gosh-darn cars, thanks. Slowly.

Signed,
An ex-Jaguar-Land Rover/ex-BMW/ex-Aston Martin Engineering employee.

and where is all the complaining about the 3 series originally being called a 2 door sedan?
The models people deliberately call two door sedans are generally a lot more different in shape from contemporary and competing coupe models than this car is from a regular 3 series.

Cars are not made by accountants, you know this.

Still, 4GC makes for a total of about 4% of 3 & 4 sales. 3 saloon makes for a total of about 60%.Actually, you'd be surprised by how untrue that is - people (who largely aren't interested in cars anyway) generally already find car-buying complicated and dislike wider ranges of choice - but even so, they come across as being cars for the sake of cars and a lot of people are put off not only the car but the entire brand - after all, if they can be that cynical for profit in that car, how else are they cynical for profit in the one you were considering?

If there's data to support this I'll accept it, but I'd be surprised. These days customisation and getting things "just-so" seems to be more popular than ever.

Also, can you provide a source for the sales breakdowns? I was monitoring this very closely until BMW decided to cease publishing sales by bodystyle, and I'd love to update my spreadsheets.

The fact is that the 4-door saloon 3 Series already exists. The 4-door coupe 4 Series Gran Coupe is the same car from rubber to roof and almost from front to back - there are tiny differences in the angle of the roof that make for a slightly different shape on the rear quarterlight and angle of the Kink. Even the boot space is identical, though rear headroom is marginally worse - as is the choice of engines...Well, let's be fair. The 4 is now a 4, having previously been called a 3. It's still a 3, just called a 4 to follow BMW's new delineation of saloons and estates (odd numbers) from coupes and convertibles (even numbers). And hatchbacks (odd) and MPVs (even).

4GC is a 5 door, a "fast back" in Rover speak, it's a different proposition to an F30, with a different demographic. The 5 series saloon is closer to the 3 series saloon than the 4GC. 6GC is also the most popular 6-er, despite being closer to the F10 than the 4GC is to the F30.. it works, people like it.. wheres the problem?

If you want to bring up the naming convention for the 2 series Active/Gran Tourer, then I'll totally agree that is an utterly crap boneheaded move, and can only really have been a product of the marketing department aiming for the B-class.

And if it were still called a 3, the 4GC wouldn't exist, because no-one would see the point of the 3GC when the 3 Saloon already exists. It's only possible because someone decided that "4" was now a thing...

And that's a bad thing? at some stage someone had to decide that a Ford GT was a different thing to a Ford Focus, and therefore needed a different name... The 3 series equivalent of the 4GC is the 3GT, it too is a 5 door hatchback... but it leans towards practicality over style.

This is why people don't like it, bring up the "4 door version of a 2 door version of a 4 door car" and think that BMW is no longer about the engineering, instead being run by the accountants. Except people who've worked for BMW, who know that it is.

Again, money plays a pivotal role at BMW just as it does in every single other major manufacturer, to be fair I wouldn't deny that, but the cars are made by engineers, because that's how the real world works, and they are bought by people who have a preference to one thing over another... I fail to see how this is a bad thing.

The models people deliberately call two door sedans are generally a lot more different in shape from contemporary and competing coupe models than this car is from a regular 3 series.

I don't know, the E30 2 door sedan looked more like the the E30 4 door sedan than the F30 4 door sedan did to the F36 5 door hatch back.

Back