(Banned)
United States
New York
Jahgee1124
2013+ Volkswagen Golf GTI Mk7 nominated by @JAHHAJ
VW-Golf-GTI-MK7-Concept-front.jpg

Body Style: 3 Door Hatchback, 5 Door Hatchback, 5 Door Station Wagon
Engine: 2.0L Turbocharged I4
Power Output: 217 HP (227 w/ Performance Pack)
Transmission: 6 Speed Manual, 6 Speed DSG
Drivetrain: Front Engine, Front Wheel Drive

Uncool. They did a good job of bringing the Mk5 GTI up to snuff after the previous gen. But it ended becoming the last cool Golf GTI. Since 2008 they've simply gotten larger and duller.

Dry weight is 1282kg for the DSG and 1302kg for the 6 manual.

Serious. That's half a Golf 2 heavier than a Golf 2.

Edit.

:lol:

The 2.0 TDi weighs less than the GTi.

:lol:

Volkswagen is fascinating to me in the past decade or so. They made this:

VW_Golf_V_Dreit%C3%BCrer_Trendline.JPG

Which, I never really liked the styling of it (entirely because of the cribbed Audi grill on upper models), but was still a pretty good modern reimagining of the classic Golf shape after it started falling very close to anonymous with increasingly minor changes to the Mk II design (Mk III is a Mk II with composite headlights. Mk IV is a Mk III with rounded edges, etc.).

And then someone at VW said "WHOA THERE. LET'S NOT GET TOO CRAZY!" and decided to tone the styling down. Twice.

Solid cool, a hot hatch that isn't overly aggressively styled.

Also, any MK7 Golf makes other rivals such as the Focus feel as if they're entirely made out of plastic :lol:

@Jahgee1124 There is no estate version of the GTI.

I give it a "Meh". It's not completely uncool, but it's so far gone from what made the original Rabbit GTI so good, imo.

I think its uncool because it hasn't aged well. I mean you can now get about 270bhp from a Renault Megane RS and the last Ford Focus RS produced 300bhp. It's like it lived its glory days and has gone sober. It's starting to act its age amongst a lot of new comers.

The Golf GTI can no longer fit in with the new generation of hot hatchs. Sorry.

Fun, good looking (imo), nice quality interior, not overly obsessed with bhp, low Cool from me.

Faster and better looking than the predecessors. This gen will also get R and the 400bhp version with AWD, whick will naturally leave Evo and STi biting dust, as well as the BMW's smaller M-variants and M-B's A45 AMG..

It's probably a decent car but its not cool and never will be.

Not a huge fan of the more modern Golf GTIs. Give me a Mk. I, a 16V Mk. II or a Mk. III VR6 any day. They may all be slower, but they just have bags more charm.

They drive beautifully, I'm sure, and would be a load of fun, yet I can't help but feel that since the Mk. IV, most people just buy GTIs because they're the top-of-the-line Golf, not because its an excellent driver's car. Hell, the only reason they don't go for an R32/R is just because of the insane prices, although I do still think modern VWs in general are just way over priced anyway. Getting slowly bigger and heavier over time hasn't really helped its case either. Meh from me.

GTIs of late have been plagued with so many quality issues that, in my eye, all their allure has been lost.

My little sister adored the Golf.

Mk. 5 GTi that is in NFS: Most Wanted and GT5.

And she says she didn't have that same love for the Mark 6 and 7. That supposed love has been taken by the new Abarth 500.

It's uncool. Sorry little guy.

GTI's are just never cool. Modern ones even less so. From my experience, which has mostly come from driving my mates Mk 2 16v, with Audi and Passat bits in the engine, I'm not sure how they got their reputation for being good cars either.

Just my two cents.

The GTI has been continually falling behind as it's rivals have advanced in power and performance which is leaving the R with more work to do in order to keep up. Meh.

In just few years Volkswagen have become the second coolest brand in VAG. The new GTI is not the coolest Golf or even coolest Golf Mk7, but it's just cool enough to not to be uncool. I would still have any other GTI than this one.

I respect the history and legacy of the Golf GTi, but they have never been my type of car. They are too dull, and uninspiring to me.
Prefer an Alfa Romeo Giuletta QV or a Lancia Delta 1.9 JTD Twin Turbo Platino any day over this.

Back