United States
New York
Jahgee1124
2013+ Volkswagen XL1 nominated by @Doog
01-2014-volkswagen-xl1-fd.jpg

Engines:
0.8L Turbodiesel I2 + 5.5 kWh lithium-ion battery
Power: Engine: 47 hp, Battery: 27 hp = 68 hp
Torque: Engine: 89 lb-ft., Battery: 103 lb-ft., = 103 lb-ft.
Weight: 795 kg
Transmission: 7-speed semi-automatic
Drivetrain: Mid engine, rear wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door coupe​
2013-volkswagen-xl1-front-end-in-motion.jpg

volkswagen-xl1-003.jpg

2013-volkswagen-xl1-front-three-quarters-in-motion-6.jpg
2011-Volkswagen-XL1-Concept-Rear-And-Side-Open-Doors-1280x960.jpg

volkswagen-xl1-017-e1361550498193.jpg
VW-XL1-3.jpg
Also, head on over to either the Results or the Nominations thread to read about the Thanksgiving Special, which will be going on shortly.

Last edited:
We need more of these cars. Make them cheaper and free the world of weekly fill-ups.

So cool.

You don't need seven gears with that amount of power.

But it's VW telling us that the future isn't full of hatchbacks.

Accelerating from rest to 62 mph can be achieved in 11.9 seconds; the electronically limited top speed is 99 mph.

I don't think 313 mpg is worth driving like a granny even when it's floored.

I like it just for the low weight and aero. The auto industry should move in that direction for more than just fuel economy. I didn't realize it was RWD either.

This is cool in the same way the original Insight was cool. It's not even remotely sporty despite the looks, but the drive to achieve incredibly low weight and efficiency absolutely corresponds to what could still be fun if you take into account that it will never have the capabilities of a Lamborghini. The small handful of tests American journalists got of the car seem to agree with the sentiment.

£100,000 / €110,000

Seriously, when I first saw this thing I thought "Funny, I don't remember seeing that concept when it came out... " Looks instantly dated, does do a lot with not a lot which I do respect very much, but it's bonkers money for what it is and it just looks so m'eh...

Don't see why you'd pay the equivalent of $125,000 USD for an economy car, when you could have something way nicer.
It's a little more than just an economy car. It uses expensive materials and stuff to help it get insane gas milage. Why get a Civic for 35mpg driving when you can get this and achieve 300mpg?

It's a little more than just an economy car. It uses expensive materials and stuff to help it get insane gas milage. Why get a Civic for 35mpg driving when you can get this and achieve 300mpg?
It's the gas mileage equivalent of spending a $1,000,000 on a hyper car versus a sports car.

Because the Civic costs way less, probably costs much less to own as well, and the Civic is faster.

One of the few times I've ever said "The Civic is faster."

Edit:

I wouldn't buy one. I just find these engineering exercises to be very cool. Plus I like the looks.

A valid point, and insane mpg can be cool, but I'm afraid it sacrifices too much speed.

And how long do you have to drive it for that to make financial sense? It's nice and all but they need to cheapify so we can actually benefit from it.

I don't think 313 mpg is worth driving like a granny even when it's floored.

It's 2 seconds slower to 60 than a Ford Focus. That's not very much, and about the same as most small cars over in Europe. It would also beat the last C3 Corvette I saw at a drag strip.

My car doesn't even do 300mpg when it's idling in neutral at 70mph, averaging 313 is insane.

It also looks fantastic.

Cool. As others have mentioned it's basically the supercar equivalent for the economy car.

Back