Orange County, NY
GTP_GT916
Nii916
2014+ BMW i8 nominated by @AudiMan2011
2014-bmw-i8-front-left-view.jpg

Engines:
1.5L Turbo I3 + electric motor
Power: 228 hp (engine) + 129 hp (motor) = 357 hp
Torque: 236 lb-ft. (engine) + 184 lb-ft. (motor) = 420 lb-ft.
Weight: 1485 kg
Transmission: 6-speed automatic (engine), 2-speed automatic (motor)
Drivetrain: Mid engine, four wheel drive
Body Styles: 2-door coupe​
1024px-BMW_i8_IAA_2013_04.jpg

1024px-BMW_i8_IAA_2013_01.jpg

1024px-BMW_i8_IAA_2013_02_cropped.jpg

088_BMW_i8-new.jpg

2014-bmw-i8-automobile-car-revie.jpg

bmw-i8.jpg

bmw-i8-first-deliveries.jpg

2015-bmw-i8_100439323_l.jpg

Speaking of cars I saw in person... It was hard to not know what it was, especially after all the media coverage of the i8. This is a car revered by many, a modern BMW that (gasp) stands out from the crowd while showcasing the future of the automobile. And while I am not the number one fan of hybrid cars, even I admire the i8 for being such an unique car, that can be used to a certain degree on the streets without major issues.

While being a hybrid doesn't quite make me call it a Sub-zero car (no problems, I just haven't warmed up to them yet), it is very cool. A good example of proper ecology being used on a car, without making you look silly.

According to general consensus ideals..

Eco car is uncool.

Super is uncool.

So uncool times uncool is.. uuunucuououlnunnncnononlcucncccococloouoonoocoooooooooollulnlclololl.

These look so much nicer in person, especially in light blue.

For me this car will be one of those that will define this decade in years to come.
225hp from a 3 cylinder is also majorly impressive.

Screw it. SZ.

The i8 is an interesting car. It's expensive at £100k, but it isn't a mega-money hyper-hybrid yet it brings performance hybrid technology down to Porsche 911 levels of sports cars. The combined performance from the I3 and electric motor looks very impressive and it might be a serious alternative to the likes of the 911, F-Type and R8.

Also laser headlights.

Cool.

Last edited:
Cool, it's a Fisker Karma with a BMW badge and 350HP. And I like the Fisker Karma a lot!

I don't care what any one thinks but it's seriously uncool. Although I like BMW but it's the owners that do it for me. Some of owners brag about how much better their car is then other cars. So that is why I voted seriously uncool.

Cool. It's not as radical as the other mid engine hybrids, but I don't hate that it's somewhat down to earth. It's not an exceptional performer (Though it's by no means slow), but it looks cool. Also, laser headlights. That's neat. But didn't Audi beat them to the punch? Also, it has butterfly doors. Even if they're not the most practical type of door.

Some of owners brag about how much better their car is then other cars.

Doesn't this apply to nearly any car? Or, perhaps more pertinently, the Mustang currently up for polling?

My vote? Cool, possibly SZ. A watershed moment for the automobile IMO, and has more head-turning abilities than anything this side of a Huayra. That it's also fairly practical makes it vastly more interesting than the default 911 choice.

The only cool contemporary BMW. In fact, the only cool BMW built since the '80s.

Yes, the back looks a little odd (though I quite like it), but from every other angle (interior included) it looks spectacular. The fact that its powertrain is so clever just makes it even cooler for me.

I'm still not sure hybrids are the absolute way forward, but they've sure made for some absolutely revolutionary sports cars.
Definite cool.

Tough choice. I think everything that's gone into it makes it SZ, along with it's looks. On the flip side, BMW fans and the droning chrous of "BMW Y U NO TT V8", which makes me realise how small minded some of my fellow BMW enthusiasts are, makes it uncool... but it's not a Meh car either, by any stretch of the imagination.

Emperor's New Clothes.

Strip all the fluff away and it's a HUNDRED GRAND BMW, that not only isn't very fast (about as quick as an M3) but isn't very economical. They might claim 134mpg* on the NEDC test, but real world driving puts it at 40mpg* optimistically and if you exploit the performance a bit mid-20s* at best.

Porkie-pies are not cool and neither are status symbols. Tack on the aforementioned HUNDRED GRAND BMW and it's possibly the least cool thing around today.

*Imperial. About 100, 30 and 16 miles per US gallon respectively

Somebody made the mistake of putting a concept car into production. And looks too much like an R8 that's had an onion-flower job done on it and then painted to look interesting under blacklight.

It's an outstanding design and a promising preview of what an eco-minded future in sporting automobiles could look like, made not quite so promising by the reality that a hybrid powertrain probably negates the option of a proper manual transmission. Oh well, Cool it is.

I have to say, I positioned my mouse between cool and sub zero, and wiggled it by the tiniest of margins to semi-randomise my vote, and then went for what I hit.

The car, by itself, is absurdly sub zero, and there's a good chance that many years down the line it will be even more so. Why? It looks like a cross between an 8-series (hyper cool) and something out of Bladerunner. Oh and something about the engine being really powerful for its size or something. I don't really care.

But it's a modern BMW, and modern BMWs just aren't cool, even if this one is as sub zero as cars get.

Yeah.

I freaking love cars like this. Eco performance is just so damn cool for me. Hence why I'm doing my senior project on it. 👍

Sub Zero.

The coolest modern BMW.

Misses out on a SZ because it's rather expensive and as such errs frustratingly close to "rich person's toy" rather than "game-changer".

Edit:
The only cool contemporary BMW.
Hah, I didn't even read this thread before posting my own comment...
but real world driving puts it at 40mpg*
I've heard nearer 60mpg on a motorway run. In which case it's a car that offers M-car performance and economy barely lower than my 1-litre Honda hybrid. I find that kinda cool.

And while I suspect I'll never get to test the theory, on my commute the i8 would probably do more than the official 130-odd mpg since I'd be able to charge it at both home and work.

Last edited:
Futuristic without looking like it's the Jetsons. Incredible presence on the road, moving or stopped.

Sub zero.

Gonna have to err on the side of cool for this one. Easy way out.

In 2008, maybe.
No, they still carry enough negative baggage that the positive reception to the high performance ones of the past two years is the exception.

Last edited:
Went with cool. Eco cars are almost always cool, especially when they break the stereotype of what people think an eco car should be.

Back