2014+ Infiniti Q50

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
2014+ Infiniti Q50 nominated by GranTurismo916

Q50_Exterior_Front_3_4.jpg

Stats:
Production: 2013+ (not a typo, production started on May 14, 2013)
Style: 4-door sedan
Engine: M274 DE 20 AL 121 ci/1,991 cc turbocharged DOHC? inline 4 (rated 211 HP & 236 lb-ft), VQ35HR 213 ci/3,498 cc natrually aspirated DOHC V6 (rated 302 HP & 258 lb-ft) backed up by HM34 electric motor (rated 67 HP & 199 lb-ft) for a combined rating of 359 HP & 403 lb-ft), VQ37VHR 226 ci/3,696 cc natrually aspirated DOHC V6 (rated 328 HP & 269 lb-ft), OM651 22 LA 131 ci/2,143 cc turbocharged DOHC diesel inline 4 (rated 168 HP & 295 lb-ft)
Transmission: 6-speed manual, 7-speed automatic
Layout: Front-engine, Rear- or All-wheel-drive
AKA: Nissan Skyline​

The diesel appears to be for Europe and Australia, the 121 ci turbo is supposed to show up in Australia later this year, the hybrid appears to go everywhere but China, and the 226 ci is for North America and the Middle East.

Both four-cylinder engines are from Mercedes-Benz.

My take? Mixed. I don't like luxury sedans, especially of the electronics-laden variety such as this, but it is available with RWD and a manual. But it also has some kind of stupid electric power steering or something that, from what I've read, veers close to steer-by-wire - definitely not cool! The same verdict goes to the turbo four, as no car of this size should ever have less than six cylinders.

...yeah, that just adds to its existing uncoolness. It has RWD and a manual, but otherwise seems like the kind of car that's desinged to prevent, not cause, the release of adrenalin into the driver's body.

Meh, the Eau Rouge one NEEDS to be produced, like, now.

If Nissan wants their anti-BMW luxury arm to be taken seriously, they need performance models. The Eau Rouge is a good starting point.

And LOL, using cubic inches in 2014. :lol:

To me, Infinitis are to cars what Seikos are to watches. They've experienced a slow introduction to the AU market over the past few years, so they're rarely seen. Like Skodas, they're a bit left-field, despite making a strong value statement. Meh.

Another car that easily falls into the meh category.

Even the power that this thing has doesn't save it. It's bland, boring to look at and nothing really stands out. Another luxury sedan that everyone will forget about in 5 years.

I don't care how nice the car is. If it ain't going to be called an Infiniti M37, I'm not interested.

I've spent a lot of time looking into the Q50 and I don't get it.

I don't get what it offers that would make you buy one over a BMW 5 series, a Mercedes E-Class, an Audi A6 or even a Lexus GS. There's only two engine options - a 170hp 2.2 diesel four or a 364hp 3.5 petrol six hybrid - neither of which are as good as equivalent rival offerings (though the Hybrid also offer 4WD) and the trim levels are much of a muchness.

So about the only reason you'd pick one is that it's the most cool (or least uncool) of the bunch, because it doesn't make you look like a BMW/Audi/Mercedes/Lexus-driving throbber.

The rarity of Infinitis are a bonus in the UK, but they're just as forgettable as Lexus against their formidable German rivals, and that's uncool.

Standard uncool. Nobody is ever going to say, "wow, you have an Infiniti!"

Over here they'll most likely say "Wow, you have a Lex- wait, different badge... why do I have a sudden urge to crack open a Red Bull?" :P

While I don't think it's bad, there doesn't appear to be a great number of reasons to get one over any of the other medium-sized exec on the market, other than daring to be different. They seem destined to remain a somewhat anonymous brand in the UK given their low sales figures, and the Q50 doesn't make much of a statement that'll bring in many new buyers.

Add in the uninspired - but by no means awful - design, and you've got an uninteresting slab of uncool.

Uncool by itself.
Then you put Sebastian Vettel in it for PR purposes and it drops to the Earth's core, in coolness terms.
But Sebastian Vettel isn't in this car. So uncool.

And LOL, using cubic inches in 2014. :lol:

This.

Another luxury sedan that everyone will forget about in 5 years.

Incredibly unlikely, considering it's previous two generations have been amongst the closest thing to a competitor the Japanese have had for the 3-series. The G35/37 sold in droves in North America.

Of course, this has grown further still - it's gigantic now - and introduced Infiniti's silly new naming scheme. Until the Eau Rouge gets produced, this can never be truly cool.

Uncool. Infiniti in Australia is essentially an alternative to the alternative (Lexus) of the German luxury car marques. It's almost too far left-field. Add to that it's not particularly gorgeous and the Eau Rouge doesn't exist (yet).

Uncool. For the people that are looking for a mid-size executive saloon, but can't bring themselves to buy one of the more popular offerings from Audi, BMW, Mercedes or Jaguar, despite the fact that all 4 produce equivalent cars that are better in almost every conceivable way.

Skylines usually stray into the cool category, but they've been pretty meh lately. They seem nice, but they still look like a generic bloated luxury car. Skyline or not, there isn't too much about it that says "cool".

On the motorway (in the UK at least) or on any road you will see literally hundreds of 5 series, A6s and E-Classes a day, how many Infinitis will you see? It won't be that many, so it's got rarity. It may not be as good, but it's different. I quite like that in a car, plus that V6 looks tasty.

Standard uncool. Nobody is ever going to say, "wow, you have an Infiniti!"

I definitely would say that, as I said above I can count the number of Infinitis I have seen on one hand.

I definitely would say that, as I said above I can count the number of Infinitis I have seen on one hand.
Rarity alone isn't really justification for coolness. It's rare because it's a posh Nissan that nobody in the UK really gives half a sod about and doesn't do anything better than any of the brands that people do give a sod about.

The Infiniti bit just drops the thing to Uncool. It makes you look like the guys with BMW/Audi and so forth because they are meh cars the Infiniti tries too hard to be cool by trying to look good (and it kinda does) and be better than their rivals and fail miserably.

The Eau Rouge version bumps this to a mild meh.

Back