Suzuki-Alto-2.png

Body Style: 5-door hatchback
Engine: 0.7L RO6A I3
Power: 48-63 hp
Torque: 43-72 lb-ft
Weight: 610-670 Kg
Transmission: 5-speed manual, CVT automatic
Drivetrain: Front engine, front wheel drive / four wheel drive
Additional Information: The 8th generation Alto launched in late 2014, with a sporty Turbo RS model following in March of 2015. Certain trim levels can achieve 87 MPG (U.S.) due to weight savings and new production methods. As with most recent Alto models, Mazda offer a rebadged version, sold as the Carol.​
Suzuki-Alto-3.png
Suzuki-Alto-5.png
2015-suzuki-alto-turbo-rs.jpg
2015-mazda-carol.jpg
2015-Mazda-Carol-front-quarter.jpg
Suzuki-Alto-7.jpg
Suzuki-Alto-8.jpg

The Turbo RS looks kinda OK... I think I could forgive someone driving this as long as they were at maximum attack ALL the time... then at least it would be amusing. I'd imagine this would be the perfect car for people who think the MINI is uncool because it's too big these days.

Not as quirky as the old Alto, neither being a looker but this one doesn't seem right. Also the sporty trim is very Abarth like. Uncool.

It's a lovely looking little thing, and I have, admittedly, enjoyed my share of small 'Zuks through the years:

905525_982049828522471_6806072676447037111_o.jpg

But as much as I like it, I have a hard time calling a tinny, tiny commuter car cool.

-

-

-

Sod it. It looks like a baby KPGC10. For a Nissan geek, that's as good as coming home to find your lady lounging in bed in a metal bikini.

Cool. (Just barely)

It looks kind of cheap and plastic-y. Starting from the fact the Turbo RS version's bonnet doesn't seem to fit properly, the miss coloured boot, which I guess was supposed to be a cool add on but ends up looking bit tacky, to the interior which may not look too bad from distance but still has most of the buttons, features, and materials taken from the 90s parts bin. The seats seem nice, though.

Probably a good car for what it was made to do, just not a cool one.

Not coming to Europe. Or at least the Netherlands. We get the Celery instead. 👎

For that.

Uncool.

Not as quirky as the old Alto
To which Alto are you referring? I'd say that given this one's distinctive face and the contrasting back end, it's probably the least-derivative Alto yet. For a car built to boxy kei regulations, I'm quite impressed they've managed to give it some personality.

For making a small, cheap car that doesn't look dull, this one gets a low cool from me. Would look neat scooting about the city. Not quite Honda N-One levels of quirkiness, but has similar utilitarian cool to an original Fiat Panda. Complete with offset grille.

Affordable transportation device. It's kinda hard to make a "cool" kei car with all the restrictions placed upon them.

Its ugliness spoils its neat, niche package. Not quite remarkable enough for me.

Uncool

The generations that spanned the 90's. Basically the models we all know from Gran Turismo. :lol:
Ah, okay. There are some cool little cars in that period, but not sure I'd call them quirky as such.

Kei cars are an interesting petri dish in the automotive industry because hugely decisive factors like physical size or power output have remained static for years, but design, engineering and technology has moved with the rest of the industry.

So whereas cars elsewhere are growing physically, getting faster etc, Japanese manufacturers making kei cars have to find other ways to improve them and differentiate them from competitors. I think that's partly what's brought back stuff like the Honda S660. And for me at least, I'd say design is improving all the time because it's one of few things makers can really do differently from their peers. This little Alto looks great to me (as do a few of Suzuki's other keis - Hustler, Lapin), Honda has got several crackers, and there's some neat stuff from Daihatsu too.

Latest Posts

Back