Wiegert

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
2015+ Renault Sandero RS nominated by @Niku Driver HC

renault-sandero-rs frente-lateral.jpg

Body Style: 4-door hatchback
Engine: 2.0L 16V F4R Hi-Flex, naturally-aspirated engine
Power: 148 hp (with Ethanol fuel), 143 hp (with petrol)
Torque: 151 ft-lbs (Ethanol), 146 ft-lbs (petrol)
Weight: 1161 kg
Transmission: 6-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front-engine, front wheel drive
The high-performance version of the Renault/Dacia Sandero, sold in South America markets (eg. Brazil) under the Renault badge. It is also the very first car developed by Renault Sport that has received feedback from the South American branches of Renault itself, having been thoroughly tested with over 120.000 kms covered during testing. The engine is taken from the Flex version of the Dacia Duster, although it has been reworked with a new ECU, software remapping and a pressure injection raise to 4.2 bar. Alongside these modifications, the car also comes with 17-inch wheels, stiffer suspension and the R.S. button; a button which allows the driver to choose between three different driving modes, including the Sport+ mode that turns the ESP off entirely. Thanks to all these modifications, the Sandero R.S. can hit a top speed of 126 mph and reaches 60 in 8 seconds flat.
In the hands of racing driver Rubens Barrichello, for the Acelerados Youtube channel, the Sandero R.S. set a lap of 1:11:801 around the Velo Cittá circuit in São Paulo, Brazil. In the process, the R.S. beat the wet lap set by Rubens in an Honda NSX that belonged to Ayrton Senna, a 1:12:414...

renault-sandero-rs traseira-lateral.jpg
Renault-Sandero-RS-2.jpg
renault-sandero-rs-painel.jpg

Last edited:
I think Renault's Sandero is better than Dacia's. It's quite handsome and performance is nothing to complain about.

High Meh.

More interesting mechanically than the current Clio RenaultSport, low cool for me.

"Yeeeah boiiiii, I work in Footlocker and go for cheeky Nando's with the ladz and we play Jamie Vardy's poker party for the bantz. Check out this funny Vine I found whilst I buy some more Jack Wills apparel. Isn't it great that I got that estate agent job straight out of high school and didn't have to go to college or university?"

It looks like an interesting track day car and it's probably a fun rollerskate to drive but it reeks of everything that is wrong with the youths of the 2010s.

Seriously Uncool

A utilitarian box with go-faster stripes straight from the factory. Uncool.

Don't really know what to make of this. Can't say my finger's really on the pulse of the Brazilian car scene. French Renault Sport hot hatches are usually some of the best. Whether this has anything to do with their chassis-tuning skills is unknown. Maybe the 'RS' element is just a badge job in this case? Looking at the figures, it's not exactly a hot-hatch either. 140hp doesn't really cut it these days. Meh.

Don't really know what to make of this. Can't say my finger's really on the pulse of the Brazilian car scene. French Renault Sport hot hatches are usually some of the best. Whether this has anything to do with their chassis-tuning skills is unknown. Maybe the 'RS' element is just a badge job in this case? Looking at the figures, it's not exactly a hot-hatch either. 140hp doesn't really cut it these days. Meh.

Well, you have to think within the South American automotive market mindset; most of the cars Europeans and Asians deem as "hot-hatches" are usually imported models, and carry hefty price tags that keep most low-social-class buyers away from them. For the most part, Brazil's own hot-hatches were based off European cars but didn't have the same technical accument (eg. the VW Gol GTI 16V, with an engine based off an Audi A3 2.0-litre block).

Power-wise, it may not be up there with a Fiesta ST, but that is not the goal for Renault's South American branch. If they tried to reach those levels of performance with the Sandero, the costs would render the project unprofitable. It's no simple badge job, it's just the best that can be achieved within the budget and parts given by South American Renault. Mind you, Renault Sport did provide feedback regarding the car's handling and performance, so it's not like the Sandero had zero input from European branches.

For "hot-hatch" cars sold in South American markets that are true badge-jobs, a better example would be the VW Speed Up! (no, I'm not kidding); it does not have a bigger engine that its weaker counterparts, and it still uses the very same 1.0TSI engine which they use, with some go-faster decals and meaner-looking rims.
speed-up-4.jpg

I'd like to see it without the decals.

That can be arranged, actually;
rennault-sandero-rs-bue-01_620_413.jpg

Oddly enough, it seems that the production version does not allow the decals to be removed on Renault Brazil's car configurator, so I suppose that their addition was intended as a design cue which is exclusive to the R.S...

Last edited:
Definitely the better looking Sandero. The novelty associated with Dacia branding having been replaced with the originality that comes with being a Brazilian Renault Sport model with a surprisingly large (if dated) engine for its size. So I suppose I do find it vaguely interesting even when it looks like a budget alternative to, say... An Abarth Punto Evo. Though with a hint of tastelessness you'd get with a Limited Edition Corsa, with or without decals.

Uncool.

Speed Up!

If only the Skoda Citigo Sport had the same TSi unit. You could have a punchy I3 micro-machine plus stripes without the unfortunately whimsical name.

Last edited:
Regular Sandero (something I've only just become aware of because I was curious what it looks like without all the boyracer-y bits) would get a Meh from me, neither good nor bad, just something I'd easily miss. Uncool for this one, however.

Refraining from voting.

Because as daft as it is... I sorta actually like it.

This has the same line of power as a Swift Sport which is not that bad because I assume it's light, which makes it a warm hatch. If driving dynamics match Renault Sport's standards this might be a real cracker. But cool... I don't know. I like it, but cool, I can think of warm or hot hatches much cooler than this mainly because it's still a Dacia even if it has a Renault badge. Uncool

Latest Posts

Back