Body Style:
2-door coupé
Engine: 6.2L V8, equipped with 2.7L supercharger
Power: 808 - 840 hp
Torque: 770 lb-ft
Weight: 1930 kg
Transmission: 8-speed semi-automatic
Drivetrain: Front-engine, rear-wheel drive
Additional Info: World's most powerful and quickest production muscle car to date. Has a 0-60 time of 2.3 seconds. Has the fastest 0-60 time for any non-electric powered production vehicle. Price will be under $100,000, and only 3,300 will be produced, all of which will be sold in North America. The Demon is banned from participating in any NHRA event.​

2018-Dodge-Challenger-SRT-Demon-B5-Blue-MAMA_2.jpg
2018-dodge-demon-top-1.jpg
Dodge_Challenger_SRT_Demon.jpg
Dodge-Challenger-SRT-Demon-18.jpg
2018-Dodge-Challenger-SRT-Demon-interior-view-1.jpg
800x-1.jpg

FCA is lucky the Ram and Jeep divisions are strong because the rest of the divisions clearly have no bloody clue what they are doing (in the U.S. at least).

"Our sales are in the toilet, we need ideas people! Hey, I know! Let's build an $85,000 car that's so fast any idiot that actually buys one can't even use the damned car to do the only thing it's built to do!"

Perhaps if it was a track ready car like the COPO Camaro or Cobra Jet Mustang I would have a different opinion, but it's not, so Seriously Uncool.

Last edited:
As if FCA wasn't satisfied with the Hellcat. They, GM, and Ford should just bring an end to the horsepower wars. I'm flabbergasted that the EPA hasn't taken action yet, although they probably won't care under Trump and a Republican-majority Congress.

This is Devel levels of uncool. Quite fitting, given the name 'Demon.'

It has a much nicer hood than the Hellcat, and the fender flares and smaller wheels do wonders to take away the excessive tallness that the Challenger has always appeared to suffer from due to the slab sides. Still hopeless, of course, but I wouldn't mind that body utilized by an SRT 392 or whatever.

I'm flabbergasted that the EPA hasn't taken action yet, although they probably won't care under Trump and a Republican-majority Congress.
Why should they have at all?

Why should they have at all?
I thought that, in general, more horsepower means worse fuel economy. Although Joe Middle-Class might be more worried about cars marketed towards the general public, high-performance and limited-production cars are not immune to the regulations. I know that there's the gas guzzler tax and that cars that have not been tested cannot be sold legally in the U.S. for 25 years.

Furthermore, I believe that high-power cars in the early '70's was a leading factor into the oil crisis and the subsequent founding of the EPA and the passage of the Clean Air Act as well as similar emissions-related laws outside the United States. I acknowledge that Western relations with OPEC were turbulent at the time and that there were other environmentalist-driven rallies that led to the founding of the EPA.

The fastest accelerating production car in the world at any given point is Sub Zero to me. When it just so happens to be a Mopar, at the current point in time, I think it is one of the coolest cars ever.

I think Regular Car Review was (and still is) right about Dodge focusing too much on power and harsh rather than what people actually wants. I find it ironic how they stopped the Viper but continued on doing cars like this. :indiff:

Offtopic but i wonder on how the sales of the Dodge Dart was in North America? Considering they discontinued it over there and could be replaced by the new "Neon" in 2018.

The fastest accelerating production car in the world at any given point is Sub Zero to me. When it just so happens to be a Mopar, at the current point in time,
You missed the asterisk. It's the fastest accelerating production car in the world*.

*On drag radials
*With 100 octane fuel
*On a drag strip
*That a manufacturer has published figures for in that condition

When I first heard that the Demon was the fastest accelerating car in the world, I wanted to like like it. But as @Famine pointed out above, that's under a set of very specific circumstances shall we say, which takes the shine of it somewhat for me.

Besides that, it's a very obnoxious car, and what with the whole "let's add even more power, even though it's not needed" philosophy, oh and the drag slicks, it really doesn't help the car's image. Which was already uncool and somewhat pointless with the Hellcat in my opinion.

And to top it off, it's hilariously heavy, weighing somewhat closer to an actual barge as opposed to a performance vehicle. Plus the somewhat unnecessary addition of drag slicks, and the fact it's banned from NHRA events, are the final nail's in the coffin. Needless to say, I'm not a fan :lol:.

Really rather SU.

Last edited:
The fastest accelerating production car in the world at any given point is Sub Zero to me. When it just so happens to be a Mopar, at the current point in time, I think it is one of the coolest cars ever.

You missed the asterisk. It's the fastest accelerating production car in the world*.

*On drag radials
*With 100 octane fuel
*On a drag strip
*That a manufacturer has published figures for in that condition

*That isn't electric

I thought that, in general, more horsepower means worse fuel economy. Although Joe Middle-Class might be more worried about cars marketed towards the general public, high-performance and limited-production cars are not immune to the regulations.
And the EPA already has fuel economy and emissions regulations. So what additional action should the EPA have taken on this car that will pass emissions regulations and will likely at worst only get marginally different fuel economy than the Hellcat already does?

Hyper uncool.

8-speed AUTO?

A drag car banned by the NHRA?

So... basically a pointless car?

No, no, no, no.

The Demon is banned from participating in any NHRA event.

I don't think I'll ever understand why this is considered a positive selling point.

Like, "hey, here's a street-legal drag car! Except, it's so fast that it requires you to buy a roll cage, so you can't officially race it. Awesome, right?"

Like, I like this car a lot, but it's even more ostentatious than the Hellcat, which is impressive in its ow right.

If the Demon isn't proof that cars aren't just tools for going from point A to point B, I don't know what is. Cool.

...but they all are, even race cars.

I wonder if any example will survive past five years without becoming a totalled write-off.

SU

Last edited:
Like, "hey, here's a street-legal drag car! Except, it's so fast that it requires you to buy a roll cage, so you can't officially race it. Awesome, right?"

I didn't quite understand the reasoning in the article. Maybe I'm tired or something.

It is banned from racing because it needs a roll cage, because it's too fast?
If it is that fast, wouldn't you want a rollcage in your car?

I wonder if any example will survive past five years without becoming a totalled write-off.

It's limited production, so I'm guessing a good chunk of them will be purchased, than immediately put in a garage with a cover in the hope that it's worth something in 20 years.

Yes, in the states at least any track with an NHRA certification requires a roll cage if your car runs under a certain time (I think it's 9 seconds). My uncle has ran into this problem with his Nova.

Not sure what IHRA's rules are on the subject.

You would think that, but some idiots are too macho for such things (until their head becomes a pancake, at which point it's too late).

As much as I like Mopar cars, even I think this is a bit much. I'm sure this appeals to people who enjoy drag racing, but I'm not one of those people. I'd prefer some turns in between point A and point B. I'm sure this will be a car that gets rarer as time goes on. More and more of them sitting in a junkyard because the rich idiots who bought them didn't account for the fact that was probably too much car for them. (Or languishing in a garage, which I think is a shameful fate for a car.)

Now give me an SRT 392 or R/T and then I'll give the thumbs up.

Uncool.

I didn't quite understand the reasoning in the article. Maybe I'm tired or something.

From my understanding, if you car breaks 9.99 in the quarter mile then you need a roll cage, however the likelihood of the average person hitting that seems slim. As long as you don't break into the 9's you can continue to drag race it. I think you also need a competition license if you actually want to race it.

Jalopnik did a write up on it.

And the EPA already has fuel economy and emissions regulations. So what additional action should the EPA have taken on this car that will pass emissions regulations and will likely at worst only get marginally different fuel economy than the Hellcat already does?
The Hellcat's MPG was higher than I thought. I thought it would be even lower than an Aventador. I'll have to wait and see what the results for the Demon are.

If all you're doing is dumping fuel and air into an engine, then yes.
I knew that there were other factors into fuel economy than horsepower, but that's another ball game for me. Thank you for clarifying.

Latest Posts

Back