GTP Cool Wall: 2020- Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (C8)

2020- Chevrolet Corvette Stingray (C8)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
Elizabeth, New Jersey, USA
2020- Chevrolet Corvette (C8) Stingray nominated by @Naveek Darkroom

Body Style: 2-door coupe, 2-door convertible
Engine: 6.2L LT2 V8
Power: 490-495hp
Torque: 465-470 lb-ft
Weight: 1527kg
Transmission: 8-speed dual clutch
Drivetrain: mid-engine, rear-wheel drive

Proportionally, it's without a doubt the worst Corvette ever made. From all angles, it's a mess. Very little cohesion or gracefulness in it's styling. And the fact that Chevrolet added a boot to the rear end just so boomer men can fit in their golf clubs speaks volumes.

Ny personal least favorite mid engined rear wheel drive car I can think of right now. Uncool.

Yes that is an incredibly arbitrary unit of judgment.

A technical marvel. Completely changes the sports and supercar game, while also being ridiculously good value for money.

Too bad it's ugly as sin. Uncool.

Seen a few in Detroit including a convertible prototype they’re cool but the Z06 and hopefully ZR1 will be cooler when they come out.
E999BAA2-C61D-4536-8A62-06F1CD564891.jpeg
3FA0001B-F655-4538-A3E0-90D3FEA91DF2.jpeg
F8FDE4F3-0A0E-4027-AEBF-923A60D6D83C.jpeg
CDE32CF6-FBA5-4FA0-9D7A-14C383093ED2.jpeg

Would love to see a bronze color one in person.

I've never seen one in person, I've no idea who the average owners will be, nor do I have an indication of how good a car it is. Meh, until I can learn more.

Now baby boomers can live out their 60s and 70s driving a plastic car thats handling characteristics will be unfamiliar to them due to its engine being in an unusual place making it even more likely they'll crash it into you

Cool. Say what you want about the styling but the performance claims for the price are mighty impressive.

Sub-zero purely to be spiteful and bang for the buck.

Now, where do we stand on the merits of OHV engines in sportscars in 2019?
Well, the main advantage of a pushrod engine compared to an overhead cam one is that they're more compact because of the cam in block layout, which is how people cram these engines into Miatas. However, among other limitations, they can't rev as high. Though it's rumored that the higher level C8s will get an overhead cam engine. The engine is not that different from the C7; maybe they're saving an overhead cam engine for later.

A well-engineered car that shows GM is looking to take its sports car to the next level that's let down by the fact that Baby Boomers and YouTube d-bags will fawn over it. Also, any car that's marketed as being able to carry two golf bags isn't cool either. I love golf, but it's not exactly the coolest thing to do with your time. But since it's engineering is sound, it apparently drives really good, and offers a great bang for the buck, it's not seriously uncool.

I saw one of these on 96 while headed out to the in-laws place Saturday. What I dont like is that when I saw it in the rear view, I had no idea what car it was. I didnt realize it was a GM until I saw the taillights. It's the second generation of vette that made me say "is that a new Ferrari?" The 14-19 Vette did the same. I feel like GM takes someone elses good design and then Chinas the crap out of it. Same with the new equinox, looks like a near copy of the Explorer.

Props to Chevy for a mid-engine Corvette, it's a brave move and I support it, but the design, oh man...
i like the front, and it's not bad from the side, but the rear is... not too great.
Not sure how to feel about this, but it isn't that cool, so meh.

Compared to other new Chevrolets, it looks pretty decent. Gonna have to wait until reviews come out before I can express my view on it.

Meh

Proportionally, it's without a doubt the worst Corvette ever made. From all angles, it's a mess. Very little cohesion or gracefulness in it's styling.

Everything forward of the door mirrors is great, but it's like a cut-and-shut after that. And the back. Oh god the back is awful.

Seriously uncool.

Honestly, I think they would have been better off keeping the Corvette Corvette looking and made this its own thing. Do a little more quality control. A little bit better materials in the cabin. Boost the engine and make a car to compete against the Ford GT.

Since we don't know how it drives or stacks up against the competition, as yet, all we have is how it looks. And it looks awful. Uncool.

So, just to add an update. I have it from a very good source that GM intends on releasing a full, plugin electric version of the Corvette as well. I am interested to see what sort of numbers it puts down. An EV, I feel, does match the looks better, and might move my vote up one spot.

Mid-engined, super-modern chassis. Still has a push-rod V8 replacing everything its competitors engines use to produce power with displacement.

I am not 100% convinced by the styling of the car, but that alone warrants a rating of Cool.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back