Transmission: 6-speed manual
5-speed automatic (Alpina)
Wheelbase: 98.6 in (2,500 mm)
Length: 173.2 in (4,400 mm)
Width: 72 in (1,800 mm)
Height: 51.9 in (1,320 mm)
Curb weight: 3,494 lb (1,585 kg)
Designer: Henrik Fisker​

I have always liked the looks of this thing, its exclusivity, and that it’s completely pointless and has a V8. Awesome car.

Very rare, very sexy, very cool. They still command over $100k around here, so you have to be a dedicated fan to buy one.

Isn't this BMWs equivalent of the Miata?

Yes, Yes, it's a Miata with a 400hp, 5 Litre V8 under the bonnet. Riiiiiight.

(Hoping you at least caught the sarcasm, there...)

However, as a proper, V8 roadster, it was fantastic. The perfect melding of dramatic looks and road-ripping performance. Besides the DB5, it was one of the most appropriate cars for James Bond - a car with timeless style AND jaw-dropping capability.

Last edited:
Jim Prower
Yes, Yes, it's a Miata with a 400hp, 5 Litre V8 under the bonnet. Riiiiiight.

(Hoping you at least caught the sarcasm, there...)

However, as a proper, V8 roadster, it was fantastic. The perfect melding of dramatic looks and road-ripping performance. Besides the DB5, it was one of the most appropriate cars for James Bond - a car with timeless style AND capability.

I heard that BMW made an equivalent to it but I was corrected that it was the Z3 or wasn't it Z2?

As involved as I am in automotive design, I can safely say this is still one of my all time favourite designs. Ever. It is spectacular from everywhere; an absolute masterpiece that solidifies Henrik Fisker among the legends of automotive design.

Zub-sero.

I heard that BMW made an equivalent to it but I was corrected that it was the Z3 or wasn't it Z2?
How do you not know what a Z3 is? It's only one of the most famous cars BMW has made in the last 30 years.

BMW-Z3_Roadster_mp2_pic_32110.jpg

There is no such thing as a Z2.

Anyways, I'm torn on the Z8. I personally feel the car is very cool, but that doesn't mean the girls down at the mall think it's cool. Some parts of it are very good looking and some parts are terribly ugly (the whole front end). Holding onto my stereotypes tightly, I have to imagine that the type of people who drive the Z8 aren't the type of people anybody would have fun hanging out with.

It's half cool and half uncool. It's not meh because it definitely gets a reaction. Gah, I don't know!

Last edited:
In my opinion, this is one of the very, very, very few cars that managed to actually pull the retro look off and look good.
It's also a BMW with a V8 and some pooowaaah under the bonnet. Being featured in a Bond movie also helps with the coolness factor.

Not exactly what I'd consider sub-zero, but it's cool.

Seriously Uncool. Those doors are ridiculous, and it looks like Fiat Barchetta.

Given to bimbos by their rich husband. Often seen carrying a small dog and lots of pink shopping bags in the passenger seat. If you drive one, people will mistake you for that rich husband taking his wife's car out for a test drive.

Seriously Uncool.

2 seat drop top with a V8 in a classic FR config. And exterior styling that focuses on form and proportion over gimmicky garnish. Cool.

Awesome looking car. Great modern interpretation of the timeless 507. Big V8 and big comfortable GT cruiser. Rare and expensive. More subtle and classier than a Ferrari. And even James Bond drove this car!

Sub-Zero.

Meh. Average looking and average performing for the price. Didn't either reflect where BMW were heading too or particularly where it was coming from. The M5 that shared it's engine was better all round and is much better a statement of what BMW are about.

Looks fantastic... M5 engine, really simple formula: BMW took the best power plant they had at the time (from the awesome E39), asked the designers to come up with something simple and effortlessly good looking, made some of it from Aluminium, and mated the two together... perfection(ish)

Awesome looking car. Great modern interpretation of the timeless 507.

Ahh, the 507. The commercial failure that almost sunk BMW into oblivion. I never understood why BMW would want to celebrate that chapter of it's past :odd:

Ahh, the 507. The commercial failure that almost sunk BMW into oblivion. I never understood why BMW would want to celebrate that chapter of it's past :odd:

Because even if it was a failure, it was ****ing beautiful.

Utterly beautiful but it didn't quite had the numbers to match the looks. Meh.

Sub-zero just for looking like the 507.

Seriously uncool if it's the Alpina version, though.

Almost on the border of achingly beautiful nice looking, more nice looking. When I see one it's like oh sweet, there's a Z8. Don't see those everyday, but if I'm on my way to the store so I won't follow it to bask in it's coolness like say I would a Carrera GT. Cool.

Same reason why Mercedes resurrected the SLR I guess.. despite a less then envyable history, it is still much loved today.

This is at the exit where I used to work:
4666865191_1a383ff8af_m.jpg

in my street (its a big street):
4731879179_7813f20b04_m.jpg

I also find the lines a bit to tight on this car, but it is something BMW misses in the current line up, I believe the SLS AMG will provoke a good reaction.

Have to Sub-Zero, love it when I see it, even if it happens regularly here.

Same reason why Mercedes resurrected the SLR I guess.. despite a less then envyable history, it is still much loved today.

Despite the Le Mans tragedy, it still won the Mille Miglia and the World Sportscar Championship that year, and spawned the 300SL Gullwing. It was also very closely related to the Mercedes-Benz W196 which dominated Grand Prix racing at the time. The 507 enjoyed no such accolades.

TheCracker
Despite the Le Mans tragedy, it still won the Mille Miglia and the World Sportscar Championship that year, and spawned the 300SL Gullwing. It was also very closely related to the Mercedes-Benz W196 which dominated Grand Prix racing at the time. The 507 enjoyed no such accolades.

Well that's pretty much my point, despite a black spot in a models history, manufacturers know that people have a Passion for these older cars... And that's why they revive classic designs/nameplates.

To suggest that the Z8 is a bad idea simply because the 507 was priced out of the market is silly.

Back