GTP Cool Wall:Chevelle SS 454. Voting Closed

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 62 comments

Chevelle 454

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Mopar 426 Hemi,and Fords 429 were about the only vehicles that could run with this car,on a legitimate scale.( talking muscle car era )
Unless you bought your GM cars at the Oldsmobile dealer, that is.

I'm actually having some trouble with this one. I like Chevelles, but I'm having a hard time making a decision as to the actual coolness.

Voted sub zero because that's as high as it would let me go. When I think of a true iconic muscle car. This is the car I think of! :drool:

Just from its looks, the thing oozes badass. An aggressive style mixed with a loud 454 IRON block V8. I love muscle cars big time. I love the thought of humbling punks in their 20's and their itty bitty pathetic VTEC rice-burner wannabe sports cars. From the mouth of a Muscle Car fan who leans to the Blue Oval, this is hands-down the most badass Chevrolet in the history of the company.

SUB-ZERO

Cool.

I like the earlier years better for their style, but...

I love the 1970 for its' LS6.

450 horse? A bit conservative, reportedly.

[And I have to rebut one of Joey's points about performance.
Properly sized, modern rubber might tend to shine a better light on these cars when you consider that the numbers you see are run on skinny, hard, bias ply tires]

Just from its looks, the thing oozes badass. An aggressive style mixed with a loud 454 IRON block V8. I love muscle cars big time. I love the thought of humbling punks in their 20's and their itty bitty pathetic VTEC rice-burner wannabe sports cars. From the mouth of a Muscle Car fan who leans to the Blue Oval, this is hands-down the most badass Chevrolet in the history of the company.

SUB-ZERO

Never heard that before... :rolleyes:

ahem.

Torque. stock LS6 454, not some goof drag racer or wanna be pro touring car, I looked for the stockest 70 I could find a video of. And it does that. In 18 seconds.

Sub Zero.

The noise this thing makes along with every other musclecar is just pure automotive sex. The noise is such good theatre, I love it. Anybody who says otherwise is just lacking. *cough*

I love the thought of humbling punks in their 20's and their itty bitty pathetic VTEC rice-burner wannabe sports cars.

As in the opinion, or the wording?

That... Seeing as you your only 15... Why are you talking down to people older then you just because they use less cylinders? That phrase has been used by every internet tough guy ever. They get some car with a 10,000 liter V8 engine that produces 180 HP and makes a pretty noise and takes pictures of them leaning against the hood with there arms crossed.

I hate rice just as much as the next guy, but you say it as if every guy who has a V-Tec engine is a ricer. If you sincerely mean that; I pity you foo.

Can't turn? Doesn't stop? Goes through gas like there's no tomorrow? Destroys the environment like a fat kid destroys cake?

Couldn't care less.

I'd happily drive one forever if I could. Therefore, sub-zero.

[And I have to rebut one of Joey's points about performance.
Properly sized, modern rubber might tend to shine a better light on these cars when you consider that the numbers you see are run on skinny, hard, bias ply tires]

To be fair you can make any vehicle have better performance with additions. I don't want to get into the modification game.

To be fair you can make any vehicle have better performance with additions. I don't want to get into the modification game.

Tyres aren't a modification game, they're a necessity to be changed as they wear out. It just so happens that Chevelle owners will opt for new tyres now as opposed to originals.

I’m with Joey here. We all know what a really well upgraded big block can do, its not uncommon to see these things reaching 700 hp NA, and over 1,000 with blowers and turbos and whatnot, and you all know that I love all that, but getting into the modding game here, for my money, just destroys the spirit of the whole “coolvsuncool” thing. I could have put a 1,200 hp Chevelle video instead of the stock one and also go like “4cilindersLOL”, but that would get less appreciation for what these cars truly were back in their day, and more importantly, even today. Yeah, they may not be all-around performance cars, but I can’t think of a car that’s more fun to drive on the street than a bucket of torque with bad tires.

Would someone care to explain how this Chevy's better than a Hemi?

It's. Not. Even. Close. How ever, the Hemi is soooo cool that the difference still puts the Chevy in Sub Zero. But you are right, the Hemi is cooler in every possible way. :D

Would someone care to explain how a Hemi is so awesome? Is it because of the name, or the combustion chambers, or just the 425hp from 426ci? :P

I don't think a Hemi is any cooler really, mostly just because they are sought after so much makes them cool, not to say they wont perform. They most certainly will. As far as Mopar motors go I like the Six-Pak 340/440 myself but that's just me. The new "Hemi" not at all, it seems like the Mopar engineers studied an LSX motor pretty hard and came up with it. As a matter of fact, it's less than one cubic inch smaller than an LS1, the intake even looks strikingly similar to any LSX intake.
Could just be me though haha

Last edited:
Would someone care to explain how a Hemi is so awesome? Is it because of the name, or the combustion chambers, or just the 425hp from 426ci? :P

More than likely that the design whooped the Wedge-heads when it arrived, and the ensuing horsepower war drove GM out of stock car racing. (and thus, the 7-liter class)

Which is possibly why I dislike the Chevelle so much: in it's day, it's engine was too big for most 7-liter-centric racing classes. Primarily NASCAR. It's almost as if Chevy chickened out.

Because it revved. Granted, so did the ultra-premium versions of the FE series and Chevy big-blocks, but the Hemi did it first.

LSX
The new "Hemi" not at all, it seems like the Mopar engineers studied an LSX motor pretty hard and came up with it. As a matter of fact, it's less than one cubic inch smaller than an LS1, the intake even looks strikingly similar to any LSX intake.
Personally, I've felt that the base Neo-Hemi is a better engine than the LS series because Chrysler refrained from going over 345 with it to get good power and Chevrolet didn't even though they could have.

I'd have to disagree there. The "Neo-Hemi" has roughly the same displacement as an LS1, which in '04 as seen in the GTO had 350hp, Plenty good to compete with the Hemi. (LS1/LS6 345.7ci, Neo 5.7 Hemi 345ci. You can round the LS motors up to 346, but in reality it's not even a 1ci difference.)
Also the LS6 which was the same displacement put out 400 at the crank. The LSX motors are much more mod friendly as well. Even the 6.1 Hemi was matched closely by the 6.0LS2 and 6.1L LS3 which made 400Hp/400Lbft LS2 and 430hp/424Lbft LS3. Only the 6.4 505hp Hemi out classes the LS motors as far a size. Not by a bunch though, I doubt it's as advanced as an LS7 with all it's race goodies either, though I bet it sure is cheaper.

LSX
I'd have to disagree there. The "Neo-Hemi" has roughly the same displacement as an LS1, which in '04 as seen in the GTO had 350hp, Plenty good to compete with the Hemi.
I know. My point was that after GM was done with the LS1 series, I don't like how they just made the engines bigger.

Well then I see what you mean. I've heard the new Chevy V8's will be smaller displacement, but still rivaling the same power. Me personally, I don't care, since the engines started growing, I've stopped caring. Now I feel like under 6.5L is normal size for a V8 haha. That anything under 5.7L is just small. But I mean it's not like fuel economy has gone down because of it, so where is the drawback? The engine platforms haven't grown in size, only displacement. With the new LSX block you can go upwards of 510CI in an LS1 sized package.:nervous:

The only truly outstanding Hemi that made an impact for me was the Hemi 6cyl.:drool: 300hp in the E49 Valiant Charger R/T.👍

Well, 'yall didn't get the 426, now, did ya? ;3

But that didn't stand out up and above all the other V8s of the time. A ZL1, or 427 "Cammer" will run with it easy, if not beat it.........

Back