GTP Cool Wall: Dodge Challenger R/T. Voting Open!

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 77 comments

Challenger R/T

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's not just Sweden mate... everyone I know in the UK loves muscle cars! (well the blokes anyway). They are pretty rare in the UK though - not the cheapest thing to run with our petrol prices the way they are these days!

Uncool. It's a Mopar and a muscle cars, two things I do not associate with cool. Also I knew a guy (unfortunately) who claimed to owned one and he was the biggest tool box I had ever met, funny enough he drove a Jeep too. That pretty much sealed the deal for me on not liking this car or even remotely thinking it's cool.

You could have left it at the first sentence. I don't think one person who claims to have owned one should bear any influence on the coolness of the car.

It does though.

Knowing someone who owns a certain car affects its coolness to you. Know someone cool who owns a mediocre car? It becomes slightly cooler. Know a complete dick who owns a nice car? It becomes slightly uncooler.

Cool is, after all, all about perception.

I like the performance but unfortunately, not a fan of Muscle cars... Uncool :( Cool engine and fantastic sound though!!!

I said he claimed because I never saw it and I suspected it was his dad's car anyway.

Even if he didn't own it and just claimed he did, it becomes a dick's aspirational car and they're just as uncool.

Even if he didn't own it and just claimed he did, it becomes a dick's aspirational car and they're just as uncool.

So all those cars people claim to own on GTP but can't backup are uncool? Or does real-life have more weight?

How many internet claims does it take to equal one real life claim? :D

It's a person-by-person thing.

To me it doesn't matter how many dicks want to own a GT-R. I still like them and think they're cool (the white one I saw yesterday was fappin' lovely). But Imprezas are uncool, in part due to how many dicks want to own one.

It's a person-by-person thing.

To me it doesn't matter how many dicks want to own a GT-R. I still like them and think they're cool (the white one I saw yesterday was fappin' lovely). But Imprezas are uncool, in part due to how many dicks want to own one.

I would like to own a 2006 Impreza STI (new one is too ugly). Does that make me a dick?

And back on subject, 1970 Challenger R/T, Sub-Zero. I see a Mustang every now then, but you don't ever see Chalengers

I would like to own a 2006 Impreza STI (new one is too ugly). Does that make me a dick?

Being a dick makes someone a dick, not wanting a certain car.

Just because dicks want a car doesn't make everyone who wants it a dick. See how, earlier, I said I still like the GT-R even though it's a dick aspirational car?

I don't get you guys who think it doesn't matter what kind of engine it carries. Would you seriously don't care if it carried a 318 instead of the 426 Hemi? It may just be me, but it was the engine that made me nominate the car in the first place. :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter for the purposes of coolness, I don't get why you people don't understand this, its a fairly simple concept.
The only time it matters is if its such a massive difference like the XJ220 not having the V12 it was meant to, but even then it gets away with it.

But in this case its such a minor difference its irrelevant. Does it matter if I was buying one? Yes, but I'm not, I'm rating its coolness, and from the outside I wouldn't be able to tell the difference and so it doesn't come into it.

Last edited:
There is a problem, though, and that's that the engine can completely change the nature of the car.

The Challenger is small enough that putting the big block Mopar engines in the nose, the B/RB series and Hemi, drastically changes the handling over, say, the 360-6. In the Challenger, (Rather than the larger Charger, which doesn't care what mill it has) The car becomes much more nose-heavy, more of a dragstrip monster than a handler, which, with the 360 smallblock, it can become.

Now, with different tires and suspension components, you can turn a big-block Challenger into a vehicle which will run circles around an SRT-8 without adding power. But you could do the same with a smallblock Challenger. Modification changes the character of a car further, so we'll leave it out.

On the subject of people influencing coolness I find that a lot of people who own or like the E body Barracudas are dicks. They have no respect for the older Barracudas and think they're better because they own one. Even the later A body owners can be like that, but they're not as bad. That alone has drastically changed my opinion of them, I'd take my car in it's current condition over a perfect 1970 hemi Barracuda any day.

It does make the early A body group a lot closer though, which is nice.

There is a problem, though, and that's that the engine can completely change the nature of the car.

The Challenger is small enough that putting the big block Mopar engines in the nose, the B/RB series and Hemi, drastically changes the handling over, say, the 360-6. In the Challenger, (Rather than the larger Charger, which doesn't care what mill it has) The car becomes much more nose-heavy, more of a dragstrip monster than a handler, which, with the 360 smallblock, it can become.

Now, with different tires and suspension components, you can turn a big-block Challenger into a vehicle which will run circles around an SRT-8 without adding power. But you could do the same with a smallblock Challenger. Modification changes the character of a car further, so we'll leave it out.

The point is that the classic 70s Challenger is being rated. Not any specific model or engine combination.

The engine only comes into it if it somehow enchances or disgraces the car, but seeing as we are rating the Challenger in general, it doesn't matter in this case, they are both good engines anyway from I've read.

The point is that the classic 70s Challenger is being rated. Not any specific model or engine combination.

It's the 426 hemi that's being rated. For me it's an uncool car but with another(weaker) engine it'd be even "more uncool".

Is the 318 though, or is it not, a V8 muscle car? If it is, then it's cool. If it's not, then it might not be. We're not debating whether the HEMI is cooler than the 318, which to most it probably is - we're debating that essentially the numbers don't make a blind bit of difference to most people. Do I find the Challenger with the HEMI cool? Yes, I do. Do I find the Challenger with the 318 cool? Yes, I do. Do I give even half a damn about the difference between them for the purpose of deciding whether it's a cool car or not? Not really :P

Back