GTP Cool Wall: Ford Capri 2.8

• Thread starter BKGlover
  • 63 comments

Ford Capri 2.8i

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I honestly want Ford to come out with a new Capri, and slot it right underneath the Mustang, have it compete with the Breezefreeze and Miata, but that's of course just my opinion.

That's been debated for years amongst Euro Ford fans, I doubt they'll ever make another one. If they did it'd probably be a redesigned Focus coupe with a C shaped rear window, it'd have a diesel engine too. :yuck:

The Professionals drove 3.0s (actually a slightly slower car) but they look pretty much the same.

That's been debated for years amongst Euro Ford fans, I doubt they'll ever make another one. If they did it'd probably be a redesigned Focus coupe with a C shaped rear window, it'd have a diesel engine too. :yuck:

I think the Probe and the Cougar were intended as a replacement of sorts, but never caught on. Some Capri owners clubs cater for them also.

I think the Probe and the Cougar were intended as a replacement of sorts, but never caught on. Some Capri owners clubs cater for them also.

They were. The Ford/Mercury Cougar of the '90s was more of a serious replacement than the Probe. You're right most Capri clubs do cater for them, mine included.

I honestly want Ford to come out with a new Capri, and slot it right underneath the Mustang, have it compete with the Breezefreeze and Miata, but that's of course just my opinion.

That would be sweet!

The 4.0 eventually found its way into the Mustang as the base V6 engine, I believe between 2006 and 2010. The 2.8 V6 was also in the Mustang briefly, according to Wikipedia they went away from it because of supply problems.

You know I completely forgot about that but your right from '05 to 10 it was the base engine.

You know I completely forgot about that but your right from '05 to 10 it was the base engine.

And one other point where I was sloppy/mistaken... the Cologne V6 was in the Mustang II for its entire lifetime (assuming I'm reading the Wikipedia article correctly), it was only the Fox Mustang that had it for half a year and then dropped it.

I thought these looked cool when I first saw it in the 3rd Ford Racing game. I still think they look nice today and I think I'll deem it cool.

As for the comments above, I also had some design plans for if Ford were to revive the Capri.

And one other point where I was sloppy/mistaken... the Cologne V6 was in the Mustang II for its entire lifetime (assuming I'm reading the Wikipedia article correctly), it was only the Fox Mustang that had it for half a year and then dropped it.

This is true. Still would rather have the 2.3 over the V6 though. Those V6s were poop.

The Ford Carpi is cool looking, but the engine is a V6, and most of the time those get mileage near that of a V8.

The Mercury Capri on the other hand is awesome and fairly uncommon around here. Especially the "Black Magic" Package, I've seen one, once.

1982_mercury_capri_black_magic_stripe.jpg

I'll give it a 'Cool' because of that ^.

The Ford Carpi is cool looking, but the engine is a V6, and most of the time those get mileage near that of a V8.

The Mercury Capri on the other hand is awesome and fairly uncommon around here. Especially the "Black Magic" Package, I've seen one, once.

I'll give it a 'Cool' because of that ^.

That looks like a side strip for a '78 Cobra II without the cobra text. Still looks pretty sweet though. Always liked the Fox Capri's.

Cool, it's way more interesting than a Mustang and, at least in the states, it would draw a small crowd if you pulled in somewhere with it.

Let's also make things clear, because the two models do splinter off after the 70s.

European Capri: Sub-Zero

United States Capri: The one which was actually based on the European Capri is definitely cool, as is the subsequent mini Mustang-ish one. Both are cool right up until the disgusting little MR2 abortion.

Let's also make things clear, because the two models do splinter off after the 70s.

European Capri: Sub-Zero

United States Capri: The one which was actually based on the European Capri is definitely cool, as is the subsequent mini Mustang-ish one. Both are cool right up until the disgusting little MR2 abortion.

If you're talking about the early 90s capri. That one was actually made by Ford of Australia, it was just rebadged in the US as a mercury.
Mercury-Capri.jpg

I'm pretty certain the Australian one was based on a Mazda 323...

I never liked the European Capri all that much. They're just not all that eye pleasing to me.

Are the European ones importable in the states?

Yup, here's one that was at a Cars & Coffee meet that I went to a couple years back. It was RHD and had been imported through Canada, then into Michigan.

mll6SvN.jpg

I figured they would be ok but New York is stupid abut certain things. I really don't know what the while process is here. Finding a left hand drive car would be tough.

Doesn't have to be LHD. You'd just need to have the headlights adjusted.

I know it doesn't have to be. I'm cool with it being RHD but I would prefer it to be the opposite. I'm just picky about that.

Why does that have the Cougar head on the fender?

That's just what the Option included. Mercury always used the slogan "Sign of the Cat" back in the late '60s and '70s, maybe going back to the earlier days?

That looks like a side strip for a '78 Cobra II without the cobra text. Still looks pretty sweet though. Always liked the Fox Capri's.

Yup, I see where you're coming from lol said that myself, but it's '80s sibling has been slightly "toned down". :D

Little background info on the Mercury Capri and it's rare option packages;

1981 - '83 "Black Magic" - Black cars with gold striping, gold metric TRX wheels and a gold cat's head on each side of the front valance. The interior received special black seats with gold inserts. The 1983 model is extremely rare and the only Black Magic to receive the compound rear window.

82_capri_black_magic.jpg

1981 - '82 "White Lightning" a.k.a. "White Magic" - This was actually the "Black Magic" version but it was allowed to be ordered in white. Dealers coined the "White Lightning" phrase from a magazine ad that Mercury ran. Mercury never used the term directly. In 1981 there were 575 "White Magic" models produced, but the rarer year was 1982 of which only 348 "White Magic" models were manufactured.

whitemagic22.jpg

1983 Crimson Cat - Red with gold striping and Cougar XR-7 TRX wheels set this car apart. Much like the Black Magic, the Crimson Cat received custom black seats with red inserts. Only 805 Crimson Cats were made.

mercury_capri_crimson_cat_red_1983.jpg

Basically the one time I saw a Capri I flipped out :lol: Importing a Euro one would be pretty cool! But in need of a 5.0 swap. Power and parts availability would be better that way.

Last edited:
Basically the one time I saw a Capri I flipped out :lol: Importing a Euro one would be pretty cool! But in need of a 5.0 swap. Power and parts availability would be better that way.

That wouldn't be very hard to do.

I spoke to a friend of mine at a car meet once, he told me his friend had a Fox Mustang, Capri and a '60s Mustang in his warehouse. He was using the Fox parts on the '60s Mustang. Whilst he took the Fox parts out, he tried to put the 5.0 in the Capri to see if it would fit. It slotted right in. Apparently the only modification that needs doing is the rear axle as it is measured in metric units whereas the Mustang isn't.

There are a few Capris here that have a V8 slotted in, either a Chevy engine or Windsor engine.

Back