• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheBook

Literary Member
Premium
United States
Sturgis, MI
GTP_ty00123
Mark III Volkswagen GTI (North American spec)

2h535uf.jpg

Specs
1995-1998 (limited number in 1999)
Engines - 2.0l 8v I4 (1984cc); 2.8l 12v VR6 (2792cc)
Layout - FF
Transmission - 4-speed Automatic (2.0l only)/ 5-speed manual
Power - 113 BHP @ 5400 rpm / 172 bhp @ 5800 rpm
Torque 122 lb-ft @ 3200 rpm / 173 lb-ft @ 4200 rpm
Curb weight - 2557 lbs. /
Zero to 60 mph - 9.2 / 7.4
Standing 1/4-mile - ? / 15.5
Top speed - 123mph / 139mph
Price - ~ $20,000 new​

Along with the Mk IV Golf GTi, a bit soft and rubbish compared to the other GTi's.

Uncool.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but uncool. I've never really liked the MKIIIs apart from the Harlequin. It doesn't help that every MKIII I see is in the poor parts of town with various parts falling off...

Also, it's about the softest GTI out there.

Any GTi between the mk.1 and the latest pair of models is uncool.

Low on power
Not particularly pretty

Uncool

Fat disgrace to the GTi badge - epitomising manufacturers' willingness at the time to stick hallowed badges on sacks of crap as if the badge alone made up for every possible other shortcoming.

As cool as being caught in bed with your sister. Outside of Utah and Norfolk, that is.

The worst of the GTi's on so many levels. From my experience with them, quality is horrible and the styling almost seems like it was thrown together by a bunch of hung over college students who forgot their assignment was due today. I'd rather be seen in a VW Bug than one of these...wait, did I just say that?!

Seriously uncool.

Ugliest GTi of the lot, not as good as the car it replaced, and I don't like that much either lol!

That aside, these always seem to be the ropiest GTI's on the road, not old enough to be cherished, and not new enough so still be in one piece! I always get the impression that people that had the MkIII wanted to buy into the GTi badge, but didn't really bother finding out about it first.

I might be being overly harsh, but I'm surrounded by MkII owners and all they do is whinge about the MkIII, maybe it's rubbing off on me!

added bit:

Are those numbers on the OP right.. damn, I'd never realised it was that wheezy.. is that just the NA version?

^ Just the US version (it always is). :indiff:

-> I for one never like this generation of the GTI, too bloated, too plain, as if its comparable to the Matrix XRS in todays standards; tries to be sporty, but fails. 👎

This has to be the blandest VW Golf I have ever seen. I see this Golf not only the most often of the Golfs but it's also a pretty typical car I see on the road. The only reason I would buy one, would be for gas mileage.

And the fact that both my older brother AND his fiancee own this car (one for him, one for her,) doesn't help matters. Gas mileage is the only reason my brother owns one, and his fiancee owns one, because he owns one. His fiancee is also what you would call "high maintenance". (No pun intended)

UNCOOL

I drove one of these once. Horrible car. It felt slower than a dog turd and handled twice as bad. I was expecting a lot more from a VR6.

Even as a semi-militant Volkswagen fan, simply put, this car is uncool. Sure, it has the GTI badge, and it had a few other extra touches to make it better than your average Golf or Jetta, but there were far too many sacrifices made on this car to make it awesome. Simply put, the inclusion of the 2.0L I4 kills it in my opinion. Why on God's green Earth that they ever discontinued the 1.8L 16V is beyond my comprehension. It was such a solid engine, and the fact that it made more power AND had better fuel economy only makes it worse.

Plus, VW built this:

02.jpg

Sleeper looks, VR6 power, arguably a better suspension tune than the GTI. This was the car to pick back in the mid-'90s.

JCE
I find all GTI's cool. 2,500lbs and 170+ bhp with a manual isn't exactly slow.

And yet it's the same straight line performance as a 1.8 MX-5 of the same era which would spank it on a road course.

Also the VR6 never went in a GTi in Europe - though it did in the US. All our Mk3 GTis were 115hp. Just imagine how slow that was.

Edit: Oh, and a 95hp TDi. Go figure.

Last edited:
It's uncool.
All reasons have been stated before. It's bland and doesn't live up to the gti name.

Just imagine how slow that was.

I can imagine it. In fact, I dealt with it daily for two years. "Adequate" was a word I used frequently. VW only made things worse when they kept the same engine in the MKIV models.

There was a Mk III GTi?

I think that says enough, right there. From the looks of things, it was a trim level rather than a proper GTi.

And yet it's the same straight line performance as a 1.8 MX-5 of the same era which would spank it on a road course.

I googled and it shows...

1994 Mazda Miata 0-60 mph 9.6 Quarter mile 16.8

1994 Mazda MX-5 Miata 0-60 mph 8.7 Quarter mile 16.4

1996 Mazda Miata 0-60 mph 8.6 Quarter mile 16.4

1998 Mazda Miata MX-5 0-60 mph 7.9 Quarter mile 15.9

1999 Mazda Miata 0-60 mph 7.8 Quarter mile 15.7

I'm sure it wins on the circuit but in a straight line it doesn't. But this is a moot point really... :D

Even as a semi-militant Volkswagen fan, simply put, this car is uncool. Sure, it has the GTI badge, and it had a few other extra touches to make it better than your average Golf or Jetta, but there were far too many sacrifices made on this car to make it awesome. Simply put, the inclusion of the 2.0L I4 kills it in my opinion. Why on God's green Earth that they ever discontinued the 1.8L 16V is beyond my comprehension. It was such a solid engine, and the fact that it made more power AND had better fuel economy only makes it worse.

Plus, VW built this:

02.jpg

Sleeper looks, VR6 power, arguably a better suspension tune than the GTI. This was the car to pick back in the mid-'90s.

Off topic but I was just looking at the '94 GLX models and they are pretty sweet. They were actually made in Germany and had little tid bits that made them have personality. After my lease is up I would love to get one of these and keep it mainly stock and just use it till the wheels fall off:tup:.

Also the VR6 never went in a GTi in Europe - though it did in the US. All our Mk3 GTis were 115hp. Just imagine how slow that was.

Edit: Oh, and a 95hp TDi. Go figure.

I don't know were you live but I know for a fact the VR6 was in the gti in SOME parts of Europe. I know for a fact they have them in Germany at least. America got a 2.8 version and the Europeans got a better 2.9 (different intake manifold). I have seen a few videos and pictures of European GTi's with vr6 motors from various places. But I don't live in Europe so I guess I can only go by the internet.

No, the VR6 never went in the GTi in Europe. It went in the VR6.

Back