GTP Cool Wall: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI GSR

• Thread starter TheBook
  • 97 comments

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI GSR

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I prefer the 7 or TME over the 6, but still....sub-zero. It is an aggressive looking car, rivalled only by the 22B in stance and attitude.

Don't finish the conversation there though....

You : "What do you drive, that makes my car so funny?"
Joe Average : "A BMW 328/ Mercedes C300/ Lexus IS 250/ Cadillac CTS/ Infiniti G37/ Audi A4/ Acura TL etc"
You :"Do the world a favour, stay off the canyon roads, and stick to the slow lane where you belong!!!!!!!!" :scared:

When Joe Average realises you have a performance car he will shut up.

If he claims he can score chics with his car I always respond that "I don't need external aids to get chics, just like I don't needs external aids when I am "with" the chic, if you know what I mean" :cool:

Let's try this again.

Potential father-in-law: So what do you drive?
You: A Mitsubishi Lancer Evo
Potential father-in-law: ...I see.
You: And you?
Potential father-in-law: A Lexus RX300
You: Excellent, always liked those.

*End of conversation*

Just gonna mention that not everyone is like that though. My girlfriends dad has been after me for a drive ever since I got the car. And it might be because they are far more common here, but pretty much everyone, enthusiast or otherwise, knows what an Evo is. Or at least that it is more than a Lancer with a kit. They might not like it, but they are aware of what it is...

Cool
Descent numbers for a 4cyl. fwd. vehicle.Looks department,nothing really super eye catching,but sort of appealing.

If you drive down the road in one, everyone's going to think you're a ricer/boy racer/yobbo/whatever regardless of whether your car's stock or not - uncool. Plus it's basically a four-door crapbox (the Lancer part) with 4WD and an overpowered engine (the Evo part).
Everyone? I guess it depends in your neighborhood, but I beg to differ.

Way I look at it, if you see a Evo, and you think it's just another ricer piece of crap, you are the idiot. Not the other way around.

On the car being based on a crapbox(don't get me started on that one! :lol: ), that is the appeal of a car like this. Everyday car made to go toe-to-toe with legit sports cars. Don't get me wrong, if that doesn't do it for you, you have every right to hate this car, and I can respect your view 100%, even if I don't agree with it. I just don't agree with your opinion on that "everyone" shares this view.

You should come visit New Zealand some time, you'd understand why I said "everyone" :lol:
I've never been there, so that very well could be the case. But in my view, that's like seeing a Challenger from the late-sixties go by, and comment on how the car is ancient. You may not like how old it is, or how crappy the handling is. But you are completely missing the point of the car.

I've never been there, so that very well could be the case. But in my view, that's like seeing a Challenger from the late-sixties go by, and comment on how the car is ancient. You may not like how old it is, or how crappy the handling is. But you are completely missing the point of the car.

If I may butt in, I'd agree with you that I'd probably be slightly impressed at the sight of a Lancer Evo driving past me. But that'd quickly be outweighed by utter disgust at having witnessed its driver take off at twice the speed limit, begging for attention like a small child high on Ribena.

To use another analogy, it's like asking me to compliment the colour of the carpet while someone's busy vomiting on it.

I don't see how in the world the type of person that owns a car in any way dictates how cool that car is. If Hitler owned a Ferrari its still a freaking Ferrari...

If I may butt in, I'd agree with you that I'd probably be slightly impressed at the sight of a Lancer Evo driving past me. But that'd quickly be outweighed by utter disgust at having witnessed its driver take off at twice the speed limit, begging for attention like a small child high on Ribena.

To use another analogy, it's like asking me to compliment the colour of the carpet while someone's busy vomiting on it.
Ding. I - like many others - would go "ooh, an Evo"* if one drove past as well; but then you'll see the driver floor it when pulling away from a stop/give way sign or traffic lights (inevitably making more noise than Maria Sharapova in the process due to the nine-inch exhaust the owners usually fit) and think to yourself "dude, that's not cool, just obnoxious".

TA: it's not so much who owns it, it's what they do with it. A cool car owned by a chav is still a cool car until they start adding 35-inch chromies that weigh a tonne each, 69 exhaust pipes that are the size of trashcan lids, neon lighting that's brighter than the sun, a bodykit that cuts babies in half etc...

*note that this doesn't imply the car is actually cool. I'd go "ooh, a Smart" if I saw one, but they're seriously seriously seriously uncool.

but you all keep saying its such a ricers car. I don't get it. We're talking about the car not who owns it or what they do with it. If you voted uncool just because you can imagine someone destroying it with stickers and fart cans you're looking at it the wrong way.

It depends on how you judge the cool wall. One of the core questions I ask myself is "what sort of reaction would the car get from the public if you took it for a spin"... the answer to that is quite clear (here in NZ at least); in my cool wall judging system if a car makes people think you're a ricer then it's not cool. Ergo, I voted the Evo uncool.

I don't think it matters what anyone else thinks. Girls might think a mini is cute but its still a seriously on cool car. On the flip side most people probably wouldn't like my car but its got pretty much everything I'd ever want in a car so I'd vote it cool all day long.

It depends on how you judge the cool wall. One of the core questions I ask myself is "what sort of reaction would the car get from the public if you took it for a spin"... the answer to that is quite clear (here in NZ at least); in my cool wall judging system if a car makes people think you're a ricer then it's not cool. Ergo, I voted the Evo uncool.

See, I keep hearing this, but other than a few STi owners telling me to buy a real car, I've not had anyone say anything negative about it, ever. And this includes random people on the street. All I've ever gotten is nice /cool car/what have you done to it/do you want to sell it/why do you have a purple evo...

Do all the people who think I'm a ricer just keep shut and shake their heads in disgust as I drive away? I'm curious about this actually, I can't remember gettting a negative comment about it literally ever...

Time Attack already touched on this, but you are describing the driver, not the car. And to be perfectly clear, I'm not asking you to compliment any color, any car, or anything. As I said in the original post, if you see a Evo, and you see just another wannabe ricer, you have completely missed the point. Cool, uncool, I can respect whatever your taste in cars. I'm just saying that this car actually have merit, substance, etc., even if you don't appreciate it.
See, I keep hearing this, but other than a few STi owners telling me to buy a real car, I've not had anyone say anything negative about it, ever. And this includes random people on the street. All I've ever gotten is nice /cool car/what have you done to it/do you want to sell it/why do you have a purple evo...

Do all the people who think I'm a ricer just keep shut and shake their heads in disgust as I drive away? I'm curious about this actually, I can't remember gettting a negative comment about it literally ever...
Not where I live. There will always be haters, don't get me wrong. And obviously, it doesn't just apply to one category of veheicles. Imports, domestics, Korean cars, hybrids, there will be haters, but usually, those views are not shared by the majority.

Not where I live. There will always be haters, don't get me wrong. And obviously, it doesn't just apply to one category of veheicles. Imports, domestics, Korean cars, hybrids, there will be haters, but usually, those views are not shared by the majority.

Absolutely. I'm sure there are people who think my car is useless and should be burnt, but that simply isn't the case with the average guy on the street. People "hate" my car because they love Subarus, or think cars should only have a V8 in them, but I haven't come across anyone who thinks it's a ricer all go-no show car. Again, that is their prejudices, not an issue with the car.

Jondot

What makes you think because someone "takes off at twice the speed limit" (whatever that exactly is supposed to mean) they're "begging for attention"?
What makes you think you can discern the difference between a guy having fun and "begging for attention"?
If I "take off at twice the speed limit" I'm usually hoping nobody's watching. Of course, when I take off, I'm usually stopped, but I'll quit poking fun at this silly statement now.

I personally am more sickened by the fast cars I see always going the speed limit. I can't find any reason to buying a high HP go-fast car just to trickle down the road like a 40mpg car could, can you?
Why buy a Corvette with only 2 seats when an Aveo seats 5 and gets almost 40mpg?

I personally am more sickened by the fast cars I see always going the speed limit. I can't find any reason to buying a high HP go-fast car just to trickle down the road like a 40mpg car could, can you?

Yes. It's the law.

Yes. It's the law.

That's a reason to go the speed limit, yes.
But not a reason to buy anything with a lot of power.
So the question stands: What's the point of buying a go-fast car to drive the same as everything else?
Answer: To be "cool"
Answer: Because it's "pretty"
Answer: You're one of the .01% of fast car owners that actually tracks it.

The first one isn't uncommon, the second is well, I can't prove it exists, and the third is strikingly uncommon also.
There really is no other reason to buy a fast car and always obey traffic laws.

I've actually yet to meet someone who claims they bought any kind of fast car just because it's pretty, except possibly a few aging women with Mustang's, but even they usually get the V-6, because it's more economical.

But not a reason to buy anything with a lot of power.
So the question stands: What's the point of buying a go-fast car to drive the same as everything else?

What's the point of buying any car that can exceed 70mph (UK)/75mph (US).

Is your car capable of exceeding the speed limit on the public roads? I know mine is. So why do we have them?

In my experience, some of the best roads I've driven on would kill you if you stuck to the speed limit the whole way. Driving like a madman from the lights, or like an idiot on the highway is, well, idiotic.

There's a time and a place for everything, and as far as driving fast goes, in traffic or on the highway are neither of them. Driving a fast car doesn't give you immunity from the road rules.

Edit: And also pretty much what Famine just said. If you buy a fast car for winning traffic light GPs, you're a bit of a tool. And unfortunately it seems it's the car that suffers from the stigma, not the driver.

Is your car capable of exceeding the speed limit on the public roads? I know mine is. So why do we have them?
That's a good question. A question I'm thankful we can still ask.
And the answer is: Because the greater public wants to speed and doesn't generally care about the law.
Everyone has their own "speed limit", whether it's posted by the government, slower than posted by the government, 5 over, 10 over, their cars speed governor, etc, etc.
I see people go 45 in 25 mph zones, only to continue at 45 when the speed limit raises to 55. Why? Because they are what I call, "one speed drivers".
So anyway, back to:

Since you can't answer a question with a question, what exactly is this? Are you implying that spending 70 Grand on a 500HP Z06 and driving 65mph down the highway is no different than spending 14 grand on an Aveo and getting better milage, carrying more, having passengers, etc?
Like I said, being "cool", spending lots of money for something "pretty" and the oh-so rare track day goers.

In my experience, some of the best roads I've driven on would kill you if you stuck to the speed limit the whole way. Driving like a madman from the lights, or like an idiot on the highway is, well, idiotic.

There's a time and a place for everything, and as far as driving fast goes, in traffic or on the highway are neither of them. Driving a fast car doesn't give you immunity from the road rules.

Edit: And also pretty much what Famine just said. If you buy a fast car for winning traffic light GPs, you're a bit of a tool. And unfortunately it seems it's the car that suffers from the stigma, not the driver.
To each his own.
Some people would say the opposite.
Some people believe one can actually discern the difference between a safe time to romp, and when it's not safe. As for the car "suffering" from the stigma, that would include any kind of car ever built that's capable of breaking the law. But I have seen an 84 rabbit diesel that redlined at 55mph, so I doubt that those in particular did any racing, other than trying to not hold up 80 thousand pound big rigs.

That's a good question. A question I'm thankful we can still ask.
And the answer is: Because the greater public wants to speed and doesn't generally care about the law.

Rubbish.

Since you can't answer a question with a question, what exactly is this? Are you implying that spending 70 Grand on a 500HP Z06 and driving 65mph down the highway is no different than spending 14 grand on an Aveo and getting better milage, carrying more, having passengers, etc?

I'm not implying anything. I'm asking why, if the speed limit is 70/75mph, there's any point getting any car that can exceed the speed limit. Even that Aveo can bust through the limit, so what's the point getting that when you can drop $1k on Yugo that'll just about reach the limit and not exceed it, while carrying just as much luggage and people?

You have a car that can easily break the speed limit. Did you buy it to be cool, or because you "want to speed"?

Saying fast cars are pointless because there's speed limits is a non-argument. Being "sickened" by seeing fast cars obeying the law like everyone else is just bizarre.

That's funny.

That's very funny.

Said Aveo has a top speed well in excess of 100 mph. And yet most Aveo owners tootle along at just 60-70... whether the legal limit is 50 or 80. Studies show that these are the speeds people are generally comfortable at... which is why many places have limits just below that, for income enforcement purposes.

I'm not implying anything. I'm asking why, if the speed limit is 70/75mph, there's any point getting any car that can exceed the speed limit. Even that Aveo can bust through the limit, so what's the point getting that when you can drop $1k on Yugo that'll just about reach the limit and not exceed it, while carrying just as much luggage and people?
Because they're crap. Since you used the Yugo, there's a long line of reasons.
And no matter if it wasn't, it'll be a lot harder to accidentally break the speed limit in something economical.
And since you're asking "why get anything that can speed" well, you're answer is quite simple.
because 99.999% of cars can.
Because you would actually have to put real effort into finding a car that can't speed, and aside from being able to say "my car can't speed" there's not a whole lot of reason is there?
However, buying a Corvette has two options, Speed and looks. You don't buy it for comfort, space, practicality, fuel economy, or any other reason. speed or looks.

You have a car that can easily break the speed limit. Did you buy it to be cool, or because you "want to speed"?
Do you want the real reason? 800$ for a 4,000$ car. Mostly the 800$ part.
However, as I've already pointed out, and you've known, just about any car can speed.
but there's a difference between 0-speeding in 3 seconds for (large sum of money) and 0-speeding in average car time.
So instead of weird examples:
1999 Buick Regal LS 200HP
1999 Buick Regal GS 240HP
Both can be equipped identically.
the only differences - supercharger, throttle body, longer final drive that's unnoticeable during law-abiding driving. that's it.
So, why spend extra money for the GS?
Saying fast cars are pointless because there's speed limits is a non-argument.
Well then I'm glad I didn't say that.
I said "what's the point in buying a fast car if you'll never break those speed limits?" That doesn't mean fast cars are pointless, it's means I have been told no reason other than the 3 I provided for buying a fast car and always driving the speed limit.

Being "sickened" by seeing fast cars obeying the law like everyone else is just bizarre.
Again, I said always. Big difference.
like I said, there's no point in having a 6 liter V12 that makes 650HP to mumble about at 25mph. Especially given it's usually less comfortable then other cars that are cheaper, and get better mileage, can carry stuff, including people, and also look good.
Unless: You have the money, and really want to spend it on something pretty.
You want to be cool. You are the rare track goer.
And while attempting to refute my statement, you have yet to give another reason.
Just vague discrepancies.

So rather than turn this into another long drawn out repeat-fest, make your argument and get on with it.
Name another reason - That's the only thing to argue here, because the rest is simply personal opinion.

Last edited:
And since you're asking "why get anything that can speed" well, you're answer is quite simple.
because 99.999% of cars can.
Because you would actually have to put real effort into finding a car that can't speed, and aside from being able to say "my car can't speed" there's not a whole lot of reason is there?

Wait... wait... you're saying people buy cars that can speed just because most cars people can buy can speed? And not because they want to speed?

When just a few posts ago, you were saying:

???

I said "what's the point in buying a fast car if you'll never break those speed limits?"

Because I want one? Almost all car purchases come down to that one point. You want the car. You buy it. Maybe there are exceptions for company cars... but then, if given a choice, you'll pick the car you want more than the other. People will cite reasons for these purchases... like "it's cool", "it's comfortable", "it's luxurious", "it's practical", "it's fast"... but these are just the reasons we give ourselves. In the end, you purchase the car because you want it. Emotionally. And you want it enough that you've convinced yourself to spend money to buy it.

I know people who've bought Corvettes not because they're fast or to look "cool", but because they've always wanted a Corvette. Always.

Again, I said always. Big difference.

So you're a supercar stalker?

like I said, there's no point in having a 6 liter V12 that makes 650HP to mumble about at 25mph. Especially given it's usually less comfortable then other cars that are cheaper, and get better mileage, can carry stuff, including people, and also look good.

A 6 liter supercar doesn't take 650 hp to mumble about at 25 mph. Not unless the driver is driving with the throttle pinned and the clutch half-up. Hell... a Corvette (which you've mentioned) only hits redline in first gear at 50 mph. Not all sportscars are geared so incredibly high, but the only you'd be using that much power at such speeds is to be stuck in first gear. All the time.

Saying that there's always something cheaper, more economical and more practical leads you down a winding road that eventually ends at a five to ten year old diesel van. It's not a pretty sight.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back