GTP Cool Wall : Porsche 911 (997) GT2 '08 VOTE!

911 (997) GT2 2008

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

boiltheocean

Premium
Samoa
Samoa
.: Porsche 911 (997) GT2 '08 suggested by -ultraflow- :.

ZYL53TQZ.jpg

Spec
Performance
Max speed - 204.6 miles/h (330 km/h)
0-100 km/h - 3.6 seconds
0-160 km/h - 7.3 seconds
0-200 km/h - 11.2 seconds
0-300 km/h - 33.0 seconds
Quarter mile - 11.4 seconds
0-100-0 mph - 12.15 seconds
Engine
Power - 390 kw (523hp / 530 ps)
Torque - 680 Nm (502 Lb-Ft)
Displacement - 3.6 liters
Engine type - Boxer 6, Twin Turbo, 24v
Engine location - rear
General data
Gearbox - 6
Drive - rear
Mass - 1440 kilograms (3168 lbs)
Weight distribution - 38.5 / 61.5
Year of introduction - 2007
Home country - Germany
Calculations
Power to Weight ratio - 363.19 hp/tonne
Power per liter - 108 kw/liter

Last edited:
Kinda the odd one out in Porsche's lineup, methinks. Faster and more traditional than the Turbo, but not as pure as the GT3 and arguably not as good of a car.

Prediction: The crowd will, again, confuse "good" with "cool." Thus, it will end up as 'cool.'

You may guess, I put it in Seriously Uncool. Not only is it uncivilized, it's not even that special. Did anyone here see Jeremy Clarkson's review of it? But I digress.

EDIT: Ah, results aren't as bad as I expected. Oh well.

Uncool. The GT2 is not £40,000 cooler than the base Carrera 2, and it's not £40,000 better either. The GT2 is what, 1.5 seconds quicker to 60 than the Carrera 2? And it looks stupid, frankly, with all those spoilers, scoops and airdams.

Let's put it this way. Normal 911s are good looking cars (subjective) that have been recovering from their 1980s "yuppie" and "wide boy" image for the last 20 years and doing a good job of it with refined, beautifully made sports cars that still apparently drive brilliantly, and then the GT2 comes in and spoils it all by being brash and loud like it's still wearing red braces and cords.

You'd have to have a microscopic todger to pick one over a normal 997.

For the record:
Carrera 2/4 - Cool
Targa - Cool, but only if you live on the Riviera
GT3 - Cool, but only if you take it on track
GT2 - Uncool. "Small winky" syndrome
Convertible - Seriously uncool, bought by people who solely bought a Porsche to pose in
GT2

Not one of the coolest 911's.

GT2's used to built for one purpose only... going incredibly quickly with no concession to comfort, refinement or driver safety. A 993 GT2 for example, is a proper sub-zero car. The 997 GT2, although faster, more comfortable and safer than previous incarnations is just too sanitised to be sub-zero.

A GT3RS (without the garish graphics) on the other hand is a sub zero car.

Clarkson is a great entertainer but no one should take what he says about any car as a serious statement of what it's actually like. If you want to know what a car's really like, go read Steve Sutcliff (Autocar), John Barker (Evo) or Chris Harris (Drivers Republic).

Uncool. The GT2 is not £40,000 cooler than the base Carrera 2, and it's not £40,000 better either. The GT2 is what, 1.5 seconds quicker to 60 than the Carrera 2? And it looks stupid, frankly, with all those spoilers, scoops and airdams.

Let's put it this way. Normal 911s are good looking cars (subjective) that have been recovering from their 1980s "yuppie" and "wide boy" image for the last 20 years and doing a good job of it with refined, beautifully made sports cars that still apparently drive brilliantly, and then the GT2 comes in and spoils it all by being brash and loud like it's still wearing red braces and cords.

You'd have to have a microscopic todger to pick one over a normal 997.

For the record:
Carrera 2/4 - Cool
Targa - Cool, but only if you live on the Riviera
GT3 - Cool, but only if you take it on track
GT2 - Uncool. "Small winky" syndrome
Convertible - Seriously uncool, bought by people who solely bought a Porsche to pose in
GT2

WTF?

I say it's cool, it's the fastest 911 and i love the power/weight ratio, also it's as close as a sleeper car that porsche makes b/c most people couldnt tell it from any other 911. This "small winky syndrome" is much more applicable to the base models that people buy just to be seen in a Porsche.

uncool. it's not refined as Turbo nor extreme as GT3.. maybe if there would be RS version of this, then it would be cool.

For those who have mentioned price, call me mad but i don't think price should have any baring on coolness factor. I went with cool, my opinion is pretty much the same as Stotty's. Older GT2's would find themselves in the subzero vote for me but while this new one is faster, its a bit too sanitised and mainstream. The GT2 should be an even more hardcore version of the GT3, less refined not just faster. The fast yet refined should be left exclusively for the 911 Turbo the faster less refined left to the GT3 (which it is) and taking things even further, the GT2 should be even more crazy than the GT3RS.

So no the GT2 is not as cool as it once was despite being better.

WTF?

I say it's cool, it's the fastest 911 and i love the power/weight ratio, also it's as close as a sleeper car that porsche makes b/c most people couldnt tell it from any other 911. This "small winky syndrome" is much more applicable to the base models that people buy just to be seen in a Porsche.

Disagree. How on earth you can say the GT2 is a "sleeper" car I do not know, it's about as subtle as a brick being dropped on your head. Huge wheels, huge spoilers, huge bumpers etc - wheras the basic 997 shape (indeed, the basic 911 shape) is fairly simple and understated.

I'd suggest that spending £40k more on a car that certainly doesn't offer £40k more of performance (£2,666 more for roughly every 0.1 second less on the 0-60, anyone?) is the ultimate expression of spending more for the sake of looking like you've spent more. It's the automotive equivalent of buying a tasteless gold Rolex and whoring it at every opportunity.

It's not subzero, because after all it's still a Porsche and the looks could be a bit better. But it is currently the fastest Porsche available. Cool it is

(£2,666 more for roughly every 0.1 second less on the 0-60, anyone?)

That doesn't sound bad considering that cost seems to rise exponentially as performance increases. And with that you also get some exclusivity.

Call me bias (my dad owns a 997 GT2), but the new GT2 is just plain badass. For everyone saying it's strayed too far from...oh say the 993 GT2... it really hasn't. At heart, it's still a lightweight, beefed up TT911- a no frills driving machine. The car feels so planted at 100mph, it feels like driving at 45mph. Get on the gas hard, and there's not many cars which could keep in touch. Feels like you've been in a slingshot with a rocket attached to your back.

This car will murder your face. With death. And fire.

Absolutely Sub-Zero.

(and no, ownership of a Porsche Martini Racing jacket has no bearing on my rating)

It's cool. The looks are pretty good, but the 911 no sub-zero. If Porsche hadn't stooped so low as to accuse Nissan for being faster at the ring, then I would consider it

Prediction: The crowd will, again, confuse "good" with "cool." Thus, it will end up as 'cool.'
Prediction: Members will, again, act as if they are the only ones with a valid opinion surrounding the subject; completely ignoring the fact that it is a poll designed to share opinions.
Just because you think something is cool because of whatever doesn't mean someone else can't vote for something based on different criteria. If someone thinks a car is cool because it seats 5 comfortably and can carry a golf bag or two, far be it from them to hide their opinion because you don't think it applies in a discussion that is not objective in the least.

Did anyone here see Jeremy Clarkson's review of it?
Who cares? Its called the "GTP Cool Wall." Not "GTP Cool Wall Regurgitated from the Staff of Top Gear." If that was the case, we could just go look at the actual Top Gear Cool Wall.

Last edited:
Prediction: Members will, again, act as if they are the only ones with a valid opinion surrounding the subject; completely ignoring the fact that it is a poll designed to share opinions.
Just because you think something is cool because of whatever doesn't mean someone else can't vote for something based on different criteria. If someone thinks a car is cool because it seats 5 comfortably and can carry a golf bag or two, far be it from them to hide their opinion because you don't think it applies in a discussion that is not objective in the least.

👍

I voted uncool. Not because I dislike the car, I actually rather like it, I just don't think it's a particularly cool car. Cool is about image, and I don't think this car conveys any image that can be mistaken for cool. It's the safe, well rounded, manageable, not-too-flashy choice for middle aged execs.

Caveat

If this car is owned and operated by a chick it is definitely cool.

If the Mini (as Giles said) screams "please give me an identity", the 911 screams "please make me a car enuthisast".

Y'know...It's just not the same.

Yes, it is the "hardcore" turbo, yes it is fast, among the fastest Porsches you can buy. But there's something missing.

A racing version.

Why call it a GT2 if there's no racing version? It's named after a racing classification from the '90s that still exists today...as GT1. It's no longer the super-cool homologation special it once was, and I find that a disappointment. Tepid for me.

If this were the 993, I'd say cool, or maybe even Sub-zero.

Last edited:
No, but they could at least run a GT2 race car somewhere. I'm wondering if rules favor normally aspirated cars rather than turbo cars in most GT1 series.

Who cares? Its called the "GTP Cool Wall." Not "GTP Cool Wall Regurgitated from the Staff of Top Gear." If that was the case, we could just go look at the actual Top Gear Cool Wall.

Such a dead on post, it deserves to be quoted twice.

I'll take criteria... any criteria, used in structured evaluation over arbitrary whim any day of the week.

GT2: I like it and I think it deserves a certain amount of admiration for being so mad. But somehow it fails to quite hit the spot for 'cool'. It might have something to do with the fact that it has been overshadowed in so many ways by it's rivals.

But I couldn't see choosing 'uncool', because it's not. I wish there was a choice between 'cool' and 'uncool', but given there isn't, I'll just abstain.

M

You know, you're right M, I wish there was, too, although I pulled the trigger anyway and went "Uncool." Really it's just Tepid, kind of bordering on cool and room temperature.

Back