GTP Hitting Online Rankings?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Zetec-ss
  • 44 comments
  • 2,962 views
Messages
776
Messages
GTP_Sarlech
why don't people do time trials? whenever i look at rankings i hardly ever see any GTP guys in there...we should all try and do atleast one decent attempt a day on time trials. we need get our name on the Map and represent GTP.

we could do suzuka tomorrow and people just do it in what cars they want to. we could have a little internal competition too to see how well we compare to each other if we pick the same cars and track.

i.e 28th - 31st May (Suzuka F430)
1st - 4th June (Suzuka NSX-R)

this process would take long but we would be likely to have quite a few GTP members in the top 25?

anybody up for that? is it a bad idea?
 
I try to stay in the top 100 for each TT.

b
 
I'm around number 50 on Daytona Super/Cappuccino Tuned/Pro Physics :dopey:. Other than this worthless achievement, time trials don't really interest me much. I find online play much more interesting.
 
I don't do time trials because racing online is much more fun!
 
I got 9th place at daytona 600, then when I saw they only last for 2 weeks, I lost interest.
 
I got 9th place at daytona 600, then when I saw they only last for 2 weeks, I lost interest.

Those are the trials under Online events. Hit up Arcade mode, then Time Trial for any track. The results for these Time Trials (all S2 tires) are saved on the leaderboards. These are thus far permanent, bar any major changes to the game that would invalidate the times.
 
yea, I saw that, I placed 33rd with the 111r at suzuka, but really I hate those time trials. I can't modify my car AND they require S2 tires. It's the same crap GT4 did...I didn't buy the game to drive cars on S tires; at LEAST put R3 tires on.
 
I've got plenty of top 100 times thus far on the time trials, though, you'll see my name more so on the drift trials.
 
yea, I saw that, I placed 33rd with the 111r at suzuka, but really I hate those time trials. I can't modify my car AND they require S2 tires. It's the same crap GT4 did...I didn't buy the game to drive cars on S tires; at LEAST put R3 tires on.

S tyres are the most realistic in the game. In the manual it gives you what tyres to equip each car with for realistic grip levels and most cars were listed between N3-S2. R tyres are purely for the race cars such as the Ford LM Test car, and even then R3's would be the equivalent of super softs in Formula 1.
 
S tyres are the most realistic in the game. In the manual it gives you what tyres to equip each car with for realistic grip levels and most cars were listed between N3-S2. R tyres are purely for the race cars such as the Ford LM Test car, and even then R3's would be the equivalent of super softs in Formula 1.

That being the case, the higher tune cars should have R1s at least but all time trials cars have S2 tyres, even the F2007. Ridiculous.

I did have a few top-100 rankings on time trial for a few cars but I was a good 3 or 4 seconds a lap off the lead times so I gave up struggling with the S2 grease-traps on non-tuned cars. The throttle pedal for my DrivingForce Ex is not the most responsive and any slight twitch sends you off into the sand. It gets old real quick.
 
That being the case, the higher tune cars should have R1s at least but all time trials cars have S2 tyres, even the F2007. Ridiculous.

It's not difficult to drive these cars on S2s, it just takes some adjusting to if you're used to R compounds. The F2007 is especially easy to drive on S2s compared to other fast cars.
 
Yeah I'm not saying I can't drive a car on S2s.. I race at Suzu 600PP all the time... I'm saying that making all cars use S2s for time trial is not realistic. You wouldn't send an F1 car out on a set of Pirelli P6000s would you? Any more than you'd send a Cappucino out on Bridgestone Potenzas
 
It is unrealistic in some cases. Still fun. Definitely more interesting than the all-R3-fest that was GTHD. At some point it would make sense to choose a tire well-suited for each car and/or track. Though it is sort of nice to have consistent grip between TTs.

When I first got Prologue, I was really disappointed to see TTs limited to S2 tires. I enjoy it now, after some time with it. My first thought was that you should be able to choose whichever tires you please, and have separate rankings for each setup; but I feel this would lead to significantly less competition per car/track, especially for Prologue.
 
My point (I think) is that each car should be fitted with the tyre that suits its performance. For instance:

F430 with S3s
Focus with S2s
F2007 with R2s
GT Concept with R1s
etc...

Driving say, the F40 round Suzu in TT on S2s... I think I managed to use about 2-5mm of my throttle travel... great fun that. Not. :)
 
Actually I find that clever use of the throttle is a measure of skill and that's part of the charm of Gran Turismo for me. Running Suzuka in a 512BB on N1s is in my opinion a much harder test than driving the same car around the same track on R3s.

I believe the 'one size' fits all is unrealistic, but I do believe PD may be trying to ascertain any indiscrepancies with their performance point estimates of certain cars. The only way a true estimate of a car's performance can be really measured is to throw it up against another car with the same tyres on. The performance points will probably be adjusted for the full release of GT5 and I do think that they'll use the time trial records as a benchmark for remeasurement.
 
I have broken into the top 20 in about 15 of the events, ranking as high as 3rd on a couple. That will become my quest - to break into the top 50, as high as possible in one of each car availble in the game at each of the venues available. I'd been planning to do something like this before.
 
Actually I find that clever use of the throttle is a measure of skill and that's part of the charm of Gran Turismo for me.

Me too and much as I hate to make excuses, the throttle pedal on the DF Ex is too light and flappy to be able to properly feel what you're doing. But you got me thinking there and I've fitted a small but fairly stiff spring to the back of my pedal... that should do the trick... :)

Hopefully I'll see some of you on Suzu 600 later on.
 
why don't people do time trials? whenever i look at rankings i hardly ever see any GTP guys in there...we should all try and do atleast one decent attempt a day on time trials. we need get our name on the Map and represent GTP.

we could do suzuka tomorrow and people just do it in what cars they want to. we could have a little internal competition too to see how well we compare to each other if we pick the same cars and track.

i.e 28th - 31st May (Suzuka F430)
1st - 4th June (Suzuka NSX-R)

this process would take long but we would be likely to have quite a few GTP members in the top 25?

anybody up for that? is it a bad idea?

Which settings are you going to do this on, pro or standard?
 
Have a look for me, I have plenty of top tens in both standard and pro physics.
 
Standard settings are for arcade players and are representative of nothing. IMO of course (see sig)
Certainly agree and much prefer Pro due to the challenge involved. I do at times wish I had a steering wheel rather than using the controller when running on Pro settings due to the greater control but have decided to wait until the full release of GT5 before purchasing one.
 
Have a look for me, I have plenty of top tens in both standard and pro physics.

You certainly do mate.

We have now moved onto Pro settings and managed to run some decent times using the Honda Intergra type R (occupy the top 4) On daytona Road.

Do you use the wheel or pad?
 
I spend time on the time trial challenges. I have finished in the top 6 on a couple, closest I have been to # 1 is finishing 3rd at Fuji in an F1 and 2nd at Eiger in the PP750.

Im sure if I put in more effort I can beat the likes of Trek_450...

To me the trials are better than the online races because they are much more challenging.
 
To me the trials are better than the online races because they are much more challenging.
I agree and time trials is where you usually find who is the fastest rather than online races. On Forza 2 there used to be many racing teams who quiet frankly would blow anyone away on GT5P and they hardly ever used to race online and spend most of their time going for laptimes.

I enjoy online racing but shall wait until the private room option becomes available because at the moment there are far too many luck elements that dictate whether you win or not. For me personally I would like to see the handicap removed and secondly would like to see a qualifying session before the race.
 
I try to stay in the top 100 for each TT.

b

I do that the same. A lot of the time the top guys laps are not clean. So if I am in the top 50 or something I am happy with it.


Sure I will hot lap for those cars.
 
I agree and time trials is where you usually find who is the fastest rather than online races. On Forza 2 there used to be many racing teams who quiet frankly would blow anyone away on GT5P and they hardly ever used to race online and spend most of their time going for laptimes.

Really? are you sure about that. I am pretty sure Forza 2 has its great racers but so does GT5P. If you haven't come across you probably will by the time GT5 comes out.

I would imagine both games have equally amazing drivers at their respective game.
 
TT's are fun and can be challenging, I was doing various cars on the HSR and Superspeedway, these two tracks are a joke now as it's not about who is fastest or the best at driving the track, it's about who can clip the wall or rail the best and control the bounce. Unfortunate...👎 It's pretty tough to break top 10 on them without doing that. I'm on both tracks in various cars and I can get just outside top ten with clean runs.

I think I'll try the tracks where there are no walls as I'm sure this is much more representative of who's driving best. 👍
 
Doing it in standard or Professional mode is irrelevant for an addicted hotlapper, because hotlappers enjoy it any way they can. ;)

This addiction is about continually shaving time off your personal best, and physics don’t even come into it. For me it all started with Mario Kart many many moons ago and it has progressed from there. With the release of GT1 and the increased popularity of the Internet, it became possible and essential to hunt down better lap times to chase and to post your PB’s for all to see and chase.

There was another addiction that was equal to hotlapping back then, it was called ‘Gold Junkies’.

Gold Junkies weren’t only content in just getting gold license times, they were obsessed with shaving as much time off a gold time a possible to satisfy their addiction.

Here is a famous but now rarely used Gold Junkies quote that also highlights the symptoms of an addicted hotlapper.

I am honoured to quote this after so long (1999 / 2000?):

easyed
"Don't do it, man. I'm warning ya - you'll regret it. Stop now before it's too late. Once you start there's no turning back, no letting go. R/L as you know it will cease. No time for girl friends, or pleasant Sunday walks in the park. Your hands will become misshapen clubs good only for holding the controller. Sleep will be your only refuge - and even there you will be haunted by your unquenched longing. Don't believe that you will be satisfied once you get those 48 gold trophies - don't believe it for a second. Your longing will only grow - there is no end to it. Only yet another thousandth of a second that just possibly might be shaved from one more gold time."

You've been warned. :sly:
 
Which settings are you going to do this on, pro or standard?
i use professional physics for everything and all aids off except abs set to 1. i hold 1 or 2 top 10 times, and few under 25. i just thought it might be a good idea of GTP drivers did about 1 every couple of days.

we have just over 275 users, just imagine 275 or even 150 GTP guys hitting the time trials lol we would take over.
 
Doing it in standard or Professional mode is irrelevant for an addicted hotlapper, because hotlappers enjoy it any way they can. ;)

This addiction is about continually shaving time off your personal best, and physics don’t even come into it. For me it all started with Mario Kart many many moons ago and it has progressed from there. With the release of GT1 and the increased popularity of the Internet, it became possible and essential to hunt down better lap times to chase and to post your PB’s for all to see and chase.

There was another addiction that was equal to hotlapping back then, it was called ‘Gold Junkies’.

Gold Junkies weren’t only content in just getting gold license times, they were obsessed with shaving as much time off a gold time a possible to satisfy their addiction.

Here is a famous but now rarely used Gold Junkies quote that also highlights the symptoms of an addicted hotlapper.

I am honoured to quote this after so long (1999 / 2000?):



You've been warned. :sly:

I came across the gold junkies website just before i joined GTP, Once I completed all golds in GT4 I went looking for others who had done it. I was amazed to find people who had set up a website just for fastest liscence times. Needless to say I had a go myself at beating the times but I didn't bother posting them, by the time I had come across the site it looked like it had been dormant for a year, it seemed I had missed the boat. Checking through it Holl01 had almost every fastest time.

I followed a link to GTP from Gold Junkies.
 
Back