GTP Hitting Online Rankings?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Zetec-ss
  • 44 comments
  • 2,962 views
I have one 7th & two 9th place spots on time trials ( using slower cars! )and 26th at suzuka with the tuned Z-06. I think it would be great to see 20%-25% of the top times being GTP_*****. We could set up a time trial event, just pick a car and track and alternate every couple of days.
 
Hello, my name's Chris, and I am a ex-gold junkie....

It started fairly simply with the quest for all gold licenses on each incarnation of Gran Turismo. Then someone set up a site so you could compare your gold times against everyone elses (goldjunkies.com, IIRC), with sub totals for each level and then it became a compulsion. Towards the end I spent months and months just shaving the odd 1/10th of a second off my gold time at the 'Ring in the 190E or the Bentley at Le Mans... until I gave myself RSI and my PS2 expired.

I occassionaly get drawn back to hot lapping - yesterday, I ran the on-line time trial in the RX7 and tuned Corvette for an hour or so. But age seems to be withering my skills as I'm struggling to get in the top 30 now-a-days.

GT5P just isn't the same without license tests.
 
Doing it in standard or Professional mode is irrelevant for an addicted hotlapper, because hotlappers enjoy it any way they can. ;)

This addiction is about continually shaving time off your personal best, and physics don’t even come into it. For me it all started with Mario Kart many many moons ago and it has progressed from there. With the release of GT1 and the increased popularity of the Internet, it became possible and essential to hunt down better lap times to chase and to post your PB’s for all to see and chase.

There was another addiction that was equal to hotlapping back then, it was called ‘Gold Junkies’.

Gold Junkies weren’t only content in just getting gold license times, they were obsessed with shaving as much time off a gold time a possible to satisfy their addiction.

Here is a famous but now rarely used Gold Junkies quote that also highlights the symptoms of an addicted hotlapper.

I am honoured to quote this after so long (1999 / 2000?):



You've been warned. :sly:

:lol:

This should be posted in the WRS registration thread. :sly:
 
I think that most of the TT players play strictly TT and not much else. This is the nature of TT as you have to constantly be racing to improve your rank or sustain it. This all takes up alot of time... time that can be better spent racing online:sly: I ranked 69th at Suzuka in a GT Test car, but it took me an hour of perfecting my driving style to get there, and not as much players notice TT rankings as opposed to when you beat them in a heated online race..:)
 
I've been posting times in the online Eiger TT's and was in the top 50 on all of them. The only arcade TT's I'll post are with the F1 and Ford GT at Suzuka. I was ranked in the top 20 but haven't checked recently. It's been hard finding good racing online so the TT's have been a good replacement.

My goal has been to try and set the top time for all Canadians (there's a challenge to you fellow Canucks here at GTP). However, I don't have a GTP tag because I have the downloaded version.
 
You certainly do mate.

We have now moved onto Pro settings and managed to run some decent times using the Honda Intergra type R (occupy the top 4) On daytona Road.

Do you use the wheel or pad?

Pad, what about you? I think before you guys appeared there I was in second, and the top driver was definitely using a wheel because you could hear the gearchanges were much quicker.
 
Just curious, is there anywhere online you can check rankings on your computer or can you only do it in the game?
 
Haha - classic quote from an addict there Sphinx. :lol: And yeah I suppose if you're a serial hot lapper then which physics you use is irrelevant.

I just managed to post up 20th on Suzuka with the Viper SRT10 in Pro mode. Man, that thing's a handful with no tuning.

There are about 5 or 6 other GTP_ racers in the top 100 including Vaxen who is about 12th I think. The top time is by a Brit and boy is it smooth... and a good bit quicker than 2nd
 
Pad, what about you? I think before you guys appeared there I was in second, and the top driver was definitely using a wheel because you could hear the gearchanges were much quicker.

Unfortunately the pad which im still getting used to after spending along time with the far superior 360 pad.

I have been looking for a third party controller for the PS3 that is similiar to the 360 but to no avail. I have my controller set up as follows left analog stick for steering, triggers accelerate/brake, square shift down, circle shift up. The problem is you cannot be as precise with the triggers as you can with the 360 pad and find myself being less smooth than I would like.
 
Unfortunately the pad which im still getting used to after spending along time with the far superior 360 pad.

I have been looking for a third party controller for the PS3 that is similiar to the 360 but to no avail. I have my controller set up as follows left analog stick for steering, triggers accelerate/brake, square shift down, circle shift up. The problem is you cannot be as precise with the triggers as you can with the 360 pad and find myself being less smooth than I would like.

I agree that the 360 pad is far superior than the PS3's horribly outdated design, but even the worst wheel will blow away any pad. When I want to play GT5:P, I actually go through the trouble of unhooking my PS3 from my TV, setting up the wheel, hooking the ps3 up to my computer monitor and configuring the audio and video settings. In all, it only takes about 10 minutes, and its well worth the trouble. Once you use a wheel, you'll never go back to a pad.
 
I just managed to post up 20th on Suzuka with the Viper SRT10 in Pro mode. Man, that thing's a handful with no tuning.

There are about 5 or 6 other GTP_ racers in the top 100 including Vaxen who is about 12th I think. The top time is by a Brit and boy is it smooth... and a good bit quicker than 2nd

This was featured in Spotrace 3, which encouraged a few GTP'ers to give it a go. It looks like I've fallen out of the top 10, so maybe I'll go back to this at some point.

Lately I've been racing online (usually 600pp Suzuka), which is great when some good competition shows up (you know who you are!) or spending time with the Evo X Eiger TT (currently 7th -- must... break... into... 1:11s!)
 
This was featured in Spotrace 3, which encouraged a few GTP'ers to give it a go. It looks like I've fallen out of the top 10, so maybe I'll go back to this at some point.

Lately I've been racing online (usually 600pp Suzuka), which is great when some good competition shows up (you know who you are!) or spending time with the Evo X Eiger TT (currently 7th -- must... break... into... 1:11s!)

indeed...spotrace 3 is a good challenge dudes:sly:

have top ten places in all cars in that challenge,so also on the online stats....would be nice to see some more GTP_names up there....:)

hope to see more of you fast dudes here....:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=105739

spyrrari.
 
why don't people do time trials? whenever i look at rankings i hardly ever see any GTP guys in there...we should all try and do atleast one decent attempt a day on time trials. we need get our name on the Map and represent GTP. QUOTE]

Well, there is now. I made the top 20 in the Time Trials in EVERY event, both Standard and Professional physics, in an Acura NSX. Highest ranking is 3rd place, lowest is 18. I am sure that some of them won't last long, but check it out. I plan to try to break into the top 20 of every event with every untuned car available in the game. So, 1 down and 74 to go.

All the times were posted under the name GTP_SeniorL8R.

Thanks for the challenge.
 
As soon as the full game comes out i will start hotlapping but they need leaderboards like the ones on forza 2
 
Back