GTP MEMBERS Photo-Blog: Sunrises and sunsets.

Canada
Canada
photonrider
Never does it set, never does it rise . . . and yet we often catch a breath when we catch the Sun of a sudden at dawn saying 'G'mornin'!!' as we spin towards it . . . or the passionate farewell it scrawls across the skies as it says 'Goodnight! with its last gleamings . . . as we spin away from it.

For those who love the Sun, here is a space to show us those photos you took of a sunrise or sunset, the ones you hid away because you thought no one would like them as much as you do . . . :)

I'll start with two of mine from the past - The first: a sunrise caught over Lake Ontario on the shores of Bluffers Park, (and it was a very mischievous Sun that peeped a lot before it showed itself fully.) The second - a sunset I caught when I opened the fire-exit door at a warehouse late one evening for a breath of fresh air - from gloomy warehouse lights into this brilliant Planet Earth sky.

Sunrise.

Sunset

A sunset somewhere in the Swiss Alps:

usZJSdw.jpg

Super work, guys! :) I would give you 'likes' merely for promptness - but your photos speak for themselves; truly great shots. In fact I find them thoroughly intriguing; sunsets, sunrise, all over the world can look so different - it's all in the eyes of the beholder.
And the mind behind the lens, of course. ;)

The Great Canadian Sunset . . . or sunrise, Mikey? :D Looks more sunset, but could possibly be sunrise.

Sunset

I'm having a hard time choosing. So........ a few! :cool:

This one is I think my favorite one so far. I printed and framed it, and it's the only one of my sunsets I've done that with....
DSC_4410.jpg

This one is an HDR, three frames bracketed by 2 stops, through a fish-eye. The upper edge of the frame is slightly behind me as I stand there!
HDR_74-75-76.jpg

This one is also three frames bracketed by 2 stops, but a composite manually blended in layers. The sun is from one frame, the sky another, and the water and greenery yet another.
DSC_7229-30-31.jpg

This is a sunrise over a lake at our local state park. Heavy rains have filled the lake way over its normal level. The immediate foreground out to the line of shrubbery and grass is supposed to be dry.
DSC_0045sm.jpg

Another HDR, intentionally "overdone" just a bit to make the clouds more angry. This one also shows the seasonal movement of the sun, being shot from the same place as the first image. The structure left of center here is at the far right edge of the first picture. This was in June, the other in January.
DSC_2561-62-63%2520high%2520detail.jpg

How about not a sunset, but in sunset light? The same lake seen in the sunrise pic above, but months before the rain last summer. Where I'm standing in this one would be thigh deep in the sunrise pic.
DSC_2634.jpg

Finally, picture of stuff against the sunset. First one is from a twilight air show, the second one is from the local beach on the Gulf of Mexico.
DSC_5407-NR.jpg

DSC_5968.jpg

Great shots! Perfect for this thread. Keep 'em coming, never mind how many years ago you took them, or whether you think they might 'pass the test', or whether you take one every day wherever you live. Looking through someone else's eyes is always refreshing.

I fear that 'Sunrise' shots may be at a premium, though. :lol:

Yeah, who gets up when it's still dark?????

(Well, I did that one time for that park pic..... because a girl challenged me to it. She was impressed! :sly: )

More sunsets....taken about 4 or 5 years years ago. 4th pic is run through a HDR filter. @photonrider yes..sunset in Northern Ontario, about an hour or so north of Timmins as were the rest of these pics...except for the cruise ship and boats of course.

Somewhere in the Caribbean

After Sunset in Ft. Lauderdale

Last edited:
Here's how the sun looks like in Southeast Asia.
Excuse my phone camera quality pic in here.
When I glanced at the title I thought it said "Sunrise, sunrise...". Oh, and here's a song. :)

I'll adjust the title in a moment - titles are extremely important when it comes to providing tags for search engines.

Don't worry about the camera phone quality - always keep in mind that one of the most memorable shots in the the world - the kiss on V-J day in times Square - was shot hurriedly, candidly, almost randomly. Capturing the photon-dance raw is what matters, and you just have to trust that the equipment you have at the moment is going to do its best.

I have a very similar view to work sometimes - driving off into the sunset.

@Mikeybc - astounding shots. And precisely what this members photo-journal needed to keep it on track. You have an advantage, though . . .you're in Canada :lol: (Land of the 'setting sun'?)

I'd wager there are more moonrise photos in my portfolio than sunrise :lol:

I have hundreds of sunset shots, but very few sunrises. This means some jogging at dawn may be on the schedule.
Not many night-shots in my photo library, though I have tons of video.

This thread has some great moon shots:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/moon-general-night-thread.307039/unread
and I believe there is an 'astronomy photos' thread, too.

The HDR shots are a real treat. 👍

Here are some shots from today - sun setting later, and taking longer - days are getting longer:

Building to the NE of me at the time was on fire - metaphorically. Its a sheer glass wall and makes an effective mirror to he sunset:

Chopper pilot must have had a great view of the city lighting up, as it chased the Sun:

Last edited:
I like sunsets as they give me an excuse to throw technical rulebooks about lens flares and overblown whites out the window and produce something thats messy but somewhat charming..

Action1000.jpg

....although maybe the reason I shoot very few sunrises is because I'm never up in time :P

tumblr_mdw4aiafbv1qm0su7o1_1280.jpg

Oh! My!

Looks like this blog is building up with the most spectacular and spellbinding shots ever. What is it about the Sun and its fire that fascinates us so much?

I like sunsets as they give me an excuse to throw technical rulebooks about lens flares and overblown whites out the window and produce something that's messy but somewhat charming...

I agree; I just love it when one can grab the techno-moralists and just throw them out of the window and do what you want without harming anyone. After all - we're playing with the Sun here - and it's kind of hard to apply the rulebooks to the Sun. Sunrises/sunsets give great latitude when it comes to experimentation with photons.

....although maybe the reason I shoot very few sunrises is because I'm never up in time :P

Same here - I've been trying to catch the Sun early, but so far it has been playing games with me; does it have some form of consciousness that is tuned to us? I'm going to shoot it one of these days. And probably split my lens in half.

Sunset through a window, no weather visible at all, so I hope you allow :D

One of my favourite sunset photos (bad quality, I'll replace with the good quality version if I don't forget)
21654687.jpg

And I made this one just a few hours ago with my phone, while waiting on the subway to work..

Sunset through a window, no weather visible at all, so I hope you allow :D

Haha, what's there to 'allow', Carlos - it's just a bunch of photos in one of a hundred thousand Forums - go nuts. Personally, I'm no photo-nazi (or any other kind of nazi, either.) Obviously we want to try and keep to the theme - so what's the theme? Sunrise, sunset. Nothing specific enough to look into a dictionary for - it's when the sun is just above the horizon. Everything else goes - what you take, where you take it, as long as we see some sun in the appropriate place - appropriate place being somewhere close to the horizon. :lol:

Now that you popped the question, though, it's interesting to note that there is no specific time around the world that the Sun sets and rises. Around the equator, for instance, it would pretty much rise and set at the same time throughout the year - around 6.30-ish (a.m. and p.m.) But here in Canada it seems to be setting later and later - I would look through my office window and see the sun set at 7.00 p.m. a few weeks ago, and could catch a shot from my window; now I look out at 8.00 and it is still high in the sky.

These are very interesting shots you have posted - and provokes the thought that sunrises and sunsets evoke more than just an event - they are a mood; and you have captured some very intriguing moods. Nicely done. Now we are all suitably challenged.

What I'm wondering is - will anyone catch the fabled 'Emerald Ray'? Now that is a shot that would be a sight.

Lately, because I stopped smoking recently, and totally enjoying getting my breath back (and energy, too - it seems like I can't sit still, I have so much energy) I have taken to jogging in the morning - I have a variety of tracks and trails around where I live to explore. These shots were taken last morning - I'll post a few so that we can capture the mood.
Light in the morning just after sunrise is so different to light just before sunset.

When I first got to the track- zoom shot:

6ef30e22-a90f-4f31-a3ce-124ca68b38e6_zpscd56d176.jpg

Here I'm facing a Dog Run; people come here to let their dogs off the leash and give them a run in an enclosed compound.

IMG_1151_zps76fc1885.jpg

As I head further into the walkway - this is for people who would like to walk (or run) for exercise:

IMG_1150_zps7618dce5.jpg

Not a soul around - seems like the whole world likes to sleep late - so just Mr. Sun and me:

IMG_1156_zpscc4f7e89.jpg

The air is fresh, crisp, clean - no one has breathed it in yet :lol: I'm having a field day bounding around like a lab on steroids - and I take off towards the woods.

IMG_1157_zpsff00a0f5.jpg

Later - another shot from beside my car - I had to drive about 1/4 mile to get to this track:

IMG_1184_zps28cd0521.jpg

And finally the Sun is now high enough to be full morning - but the shadows are still long, and there is that slight fog in the air that says the pollution hasn't got into full gear as yet.

IMG_1186_zps8ce54f13.jpg

Australia - Uluru (rise)
SunSetsRises-001.jpg

Australia - Renmark (rise)
SunSetsRises-002.jpg

USA - Lake Erie (winter set)
SunSetsRises-003.jpg

Netherlands (set)
SunSetsRises-004.jpg

Zimbabwe (rise)
SunSetsRises-005.jpg

Zimbabwe (set)
SunSetsRises-006.jpg

Botswana (set)
SunSetsRises-007.jpg

Nigeria (rise)
SunSetsRises-008.jpg

USA - Canyonlands (rise)
SunSetsRises-009.jpg

Australia - St Kilda (set)
SunSetsRises-010.jpg

New Zealand - Franz Josef (set)
SunSetsRises-011.jpg

USA - Arches NP (set)
SunSetsRises-012.jpg

Tanzania (rise)
SunSetsRises-013.jpg

Kenya (set)
SunSetsRises-014.jpg

Netherlands (winter rise)
SunSetsRises-015.jpg

Netherlands (winter rise)
SunSetsRises-016.jpg

South Africa (set)
SunSetsRises-017.jpg

Ethiopia (set)
SunSetsRises-018.jpg

Ethiopia (set)
SunSetsRises-019.jpg

Ethiopia (set)
SunSetsRises-020.jpg

Antarctica (set)
SunSetsRises-021.jpg

Arctic (12:03 Midnight - no sunsets there)
SunSetsRises-022.jpg

Last edited:
AMG! :boggled:

You are so damn naughty, you infernal globetrotter, you! That last photo nigh killed me. Still chuckling when I mosey around my day thinking about it.
Yup . . . what do we do about the land of the midnight sun? :lol: Super, super shots and you nearly killed the thread. How on earth are we going to rise to the challenge you've thrown? Great to see so many shots from so many different places in the world.

More and more, as I watch the sunrise, my fascination with photons increases to the point of obsession. The air, and the scattering of light is very much different in the morning versus what happens in the evening.

To think that for hundreds of million years after the Big Bang there were no photons - that we actually went through what was called the 'Dark Ages' . . until the first stars burst into light.
Did someone out there really scream in the darkness?
Only 21-centimeter cosmology will eventually let us know, as we deal with the stretching of waves, time . . . maybe even perception.
Meanwhile, all we can do is watch and wait as we spin, and hope the scientists can rewrite a story of creation that matches what we knew since time began.

@Carlos - great and consistent shots. Good going - enjoying your work - and will be throwing more of mine in soon.

Edit: Today, 6th June - not really necessary needing to bump the thread so throwing this in with an edit:

The air is so fresh in the morning that I'm thinking either my lungs are filling in deeper or that there are more leaves on the trees - maybe both. :lol:

Caught Mr. Sun this morning again:

5091d8b2-1344-4f0a-ae05-afec665cc226_zps36c0b9f8.jpg

0158e5af-4ae3-4ba6-b4b7-8c5f2d77c56b_zps552176a6.jpg

55d08081-fe0b-46e0-bb3c-55d0463cecc4_zps930c13bf.jpg

6017b376-53c4-47d0-af51-9e75b3a7e212_zps1e763743.jpg

Caught some 'green-for-go' photons in this one:

6c7f8ec8-da38-4021-87c6-2ab2ba23eaf4_zps85d8ef36.jpg

Last edited:
Well photography is a big hobby of mine so yeah I'm raising the bar for you all :D
I've just been fortunate that my parents worked abroad (well my dad) and I was given the opportunity too when I started, That and my love for African wildlife (see avatar) helps. Of course for rises you have to get up early. The canyon lands one was wakeup at 03:00, dress, drive out for >1 hour and then find 15 other photogs at the same location :(

The 2 winter NL ones - again veeery early wake up, drive 2 hours, dress for arctic circumstances, get on an icebreaker with 5 other photos and stand outside for well over 3 hours. But it was WORTH it. :)

Those from Ethiopia are the best from your post I think, the people standing in front of the horizon, really cool!

Back