GTP Music Cool Wall Nomination Thread! V3 [Nominations Spots Are Open]Music 

• Thread starter Tex
  • 32 comments

Tex

United States
Houston, Tx
BigTex097
SCSTexan
Welcome to the revival of the GTPlanet Music Cool Wall Nomination Thread, since there's Cool Wall in the Cars in General section, I thought it would be a good idea to bring back the Cool Wall to the Music Section. Since the music industry is getting increasingly popular every single year I think it's a good time to place artists on a wall of to show how good they really are compare to other artist.

Rules:
  • Only one nomination per person until your nominated artist has been polled. Once your nominated artist has a polling thread you're eligible to nominate again if queue spots are available.
  • Once you nominate a artist, you can't nominated the same artist ever again.
  • Once an artist has a polling thread, they can't be nominated again
  • A artist can be any singer, band, orchestra, or composer that has at least one single in their existence.
  • If a band had more than one different names in their existence still counts as the same band. (ex. Linkin Park/Hybrid Theory/Xero)
  • However if some members of a band took part in different projects under a different name, those music projects are separated nominations. (ex. Tom Morello, Tim Commerford, & Brad Wilk of Rage Against The Machine, Audioslave, & Prophets of Rage)
  • A single person that work on multiple projects is also eligible for nomination.
  • Post your nominations here! Posting nominations elsewhere will not count.
  • Make sure the information for your nomination is correct
  • If your nomination is not in queue tag me.
  • Since I'm going to use the same point system used the Cool Wall Thread in the 'Cars in General' sub-forum, any of the nominations from the original Music Cool Thread are eligible.
  • You may change your nomination whenever you want. However, any changed nominations will be pushed to the bottom of the queue.
  • Please leave all discussion about a particular nomination in the polling threads. This thread is for nomination, rules discussions.
How It Works:
  • Fill out 'Nomination Information' (one person needs to fill this out per nomination.)
  • 2 polls will be up every Saturday/Sunday approx. between 18:00 UTC Sat - 0:00 UTC Sun*
  • Each poll will be up for 2 weeks and will close exactly 2 weeks after being created.
  • The poll will have 5 types coolness to choose from.
  • Once the polls are closed, the nominations will be place in one of seven sections.
  • Placement will be determined by scoring formula.
  • Maximum of 25 nominations in queue at a time
Nomination Information
Groups:
Name: Name of the nomination.
Years Active: How long they been active musicians?
Current Members: Who's part of them?
Former Members: Who use to be part the them, or use to be part of a no longer active nomination?

Notable Single(s): Singles that made them noticeable.
Major Achievements: Awards, Hall of Fame?
Additional Information: (Optional)

Individuals:
Name: Name of the nomination.
Years Active: How long they been active musicians?
Associated Acts: Groups and/or other musicians he/she worked along with.
Major Achievements: Awards, Hall of Fame?

You can use Wikipedia.

Nominations Queue (2/25):
Deftones - Nominated By @Tex
Gojira - Nominated by @Formidable

Polls:
The Psychedelic Furs- Nominated by @TexRex
The Seatbelts - Nominated by @Sanji Himura

Credits:
Thanks to @Wiegert, @TheBook, @Tornado, @Joey D, @boiltheocean, @BKGlover, @White & Nerdy, @Jahgee(Or should I say Bangee), and @GranTurismo916 for their contributions in the Cars Cool Wall Thread.
Thanks to @Crooooooow, @astrosdude91, and @All Your Base for their previous contributions to the previous Music Cool Wall.
Thanks to @Roger the Horse for his work in the Random Stuff Cool Wall Thread.​

OP is currently a work in progress
*Time of polling threads are subjected to change.[/URL]

Last edited:
I guess I'll get it started:

Name: Bob Dylan
Years Active: 1959-present
Current Members: Solo Act
Former Members: Solo Act
Notable Single(s): "Blowin' in the Wind", "The Times They are a-Changin", "Rainy Day Women No 12 and 35", "Like A Rolling Stone", "Knockin on Heaven's Door", "Lay Lady Lay" among others.
Major Achievements: 2016 Nobel Prize winner (for Literature) (List of other awards)
Additional Information: Inspired acts such as Donovan among others.

OK i'll do one of my favourites.

Name: Nirvana
Years Active: 1987-1994
Former Members: Kurt Cobain, Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic
Notable Single(s): "Smells like Teen Spirit", "Come as you Are", "Heart-shaped Box"
Major Achievements: Inducted to the Rock Hall of Fame in 2014
Additional Information: Brought the Seattle Grunge Sound to the Mainstream.

Name: DOROTHY
Years Active: 2014-Present
Current Members: Dorothy Martin (Vocals), Dylan Howard (Drums), DJ Black (Guitar) & Gregg Cash (Bass)
Former Members: None
Notable Single(s): After Midnight, Wicked Ones & Raise Hell
Major Achievements: #14 on Rolling Stone 50 New Best Artists of 2014. Raise Hell got to 31st on the US Mainstream Rock Charts.
Additional Information: Their debut single 'After Midnight' gained instant popularity while Wicked Ones is currently their most successful single. They signed a record deal with Roc Nation in 2015 and since then have had Wicked Ones used in several TV Advertisements as well as being the theme song for WWE's TLC PPV. Their debut album 'ROCKISDEAD' was released in June 2016

Last edited:
Name: Aerosmith

Years Active:
1971-Present

Current Members:
Steven Tyler, Joe Perry, Brad Whitford, Tom Hamilton, Joey Kramer

Former Members:
Ray Tabano, Jimmy Crespo, Rick Dufay

Notable Single(s):
Sweet Emotion, Dream On, Walk This Way, Train Kept A Rollin, Back In The Saddle, Love In An Elevator, Crazy, I Don't Want To Miss A Thing, Dude Looks Like A Lady, Jaded

Major Achievements:
Grammys, 2001 Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Inductees, American Music Awards, Billboard Awards, MTV Europe Awards, MTV Video Music Awards, Teen Choice Awards, People's Choice Awards, Soul Train Awards

Additional Information:
Has a roller coaster at Disney featuring them, also have a few video games featuring them​

Name: Pet Shop Boys
Years active: 1981-present
Current members: Neil Tennant, Chris Lowe
Former members: None
Notable single(s): "West End Girls", "It's a Sin", "Go West" (Village People cover), "Always on My Mind" (Brenda Lee cover), "Opportunities (Let's Make Lots of Money)", "Paninaro", "Love is a Bourgeois Construct", "Can You Forgive Her?", "What Have I Done to Deserve This?", "The Pop Kids", "Suburbia"
Major achievements: Over 50 million records sold worldwide, listed as the most successful UK music duo by the Guinness World Records, three-time Brit Award winners, six-time Grammy nominees.
Additional information: The two members met in an electronics shop in Chelsea, London. Tennant also came out as gay in 1994.

Last edited:
Name: Muse
Years Active: 1994-present
Current Members: Matthew Bellamy (Lead Vocals, Guitar, Piano, Keyboards), Christopher Wolstenholme (Bass Guitar, Backing Vocals, Keyboards), Dominic Howard (Drums, Percussion)
Former Members: None
Notable Single(s): Muscle Museum, Sunburn, Plug In Baby, Feeling Good, Hysteria, Time is Running Out, Starlight, Supermassive Black Hole, Knights Of Cydonia, Uprising, Resistance, Panic Station, Madness, Psycho, Mercy, Dead Inside, Reapers
Major Achievements: Two-time Brit Award winners, two-time Grammy winners, seventeen-time NME Award winners, six-time Q Award winners. 46 total awards, with 134 nominations.
Additional Information: Muse has created 7 studio albums in their time as a band (Showbiz, Origin Of Symmetry, Absolution, Black Holes And Revelations, The Resistance, The 2nd Law, Drones). Before Muse, Bellamy, Howard, and Wolstenholme all attended Teignmouth Community College in the U.K. Bellamy auditioned for Howard's band and became their singer/songwriter. They then asked Wolstenholme (who was a drummer for another band at the school) to join them. He joined, and took up bass lessons. They then took up the name Rocket Baby Dolls. In 1994, the band won a local battle of the bands, and smashed their equipment in the process (Bellamy said it was suppose to be a protest/statement). After this, they took the band more seriously, leading them to quit their jobs, move away from Teignmouth, and take up the name Muse. The band is widely known for their amazing live performances, which draw incredible crowds. They have sold over 20 million albums worldwide.

Last edited:
Name: Tyler, The Creator
210px-Tyler_the_creator.jpg

Years Active: 2007+
Current Members: Tyler, The Creator (rapper/producer)
Former Members: N/A
Notable Single(s): "Yonkers" (2011), "Sandwitches (feat. Hodgy Beats)" (2011), "She (feat. Frank Ocean)" (2011), "Domo23" (2013), "DEATHCAMP" (2015), "****ING YOUNG/PERFECT" (2015)
Major Achievements: MTV VMAs Best New Artist (2011), MTV2 SFAs Rookie of the Year (2011), MTV2 SFAs Must Follow Artist (2011), nominated for MTV Video of the Year, Best Art Direction (2014), and Best Visual Effects (2015)
Additional Information: Tyler Okonma is the leader and co-founder of the hip hop group Odd Future. He is known for his vulgar, purposely offensive lyrics and themes, and unique, self-produced instrumentals. His breakout single was "Yonkers," and since the release of "Yonkers" in 2011 he has released three albums, Goblin (2011), Wolf (2013), and Cherry Bomb (2015). He released his first mixtape, Bastard, in 2009, to critical acclaim.

ttc.png

650x366

Name:
Animals As Leaders
Years Active: 2007 - present
Current Members: Tosin Abasi (lead guitarist), Javier Reyes (guitarist), Matt Garska (drums)
Former Members: Chebon Littlefield (keyboard, bass), Matt Halpern (drums), Navene Koperweis (drums, programming)
Notable Single(s): Wave of Babies (2010), CAFO (2010), Isolated Incidents (2011), Physical Education (2015)
Major Achievements: Collaborated with rock/metal artists such as Steve Vai, Misha Mansoor and Periphery, and CHON.
Additional Information: Animals As Leader is a instrumental progressive djent metal group formed by the lead guitarist, Tosin Abasi and Prosthetic Records. The artist group started out as only Tosin himself doing most of the guitar and bass in his songs, along with Misha Mansoor who helped with drum synths, and a few guitar solos. With this, AAL released their first album in 2008: Animals As Leaders. Later in 2010, their first notable single "Wave of Babies" was released on iTunes. As they were touring with artists such as Doyle and Between the Buried and Me in Europe, Animals As Leaders would drop their second album "Weightless" in 2011. Just after, their former drummer and programmer, Navene Koperwies, had left the group, Matt Garska filled in, and is still the current drummer for the group. In 2012, producer Misha Mansoor was working with the group on their 3rd album "The Joy of Motion" which would be released spring 2014. Their 4th and latest album "The Madness of Many" was hinted at being produced by their Instagram page, and later revealed the album title, along with the release date of 11/11/2016.

AAL albums.png

Name: OK Go
Years active: 1998-present
Current members: Damian Kulash (vocals, guitar), Tim Nordwind (vocals, bass), Dan Konopka (drums, percussion), Andy Ross (guitar, keyboards, vocals)
Former members: Andy Duncan
Notable singles: Get Over It, Here It Goes Again, This Too Shall Pass, Upside Down & Inside Out
Major Achievements: Grammy Award for Best Music Video (2007, Here It Goes Again)
Additional info: Known for their complex and elaborate, and often one shot music videos.

van_halen.jpg

Name:
Van Halen
Years Active: 1972-Present
Current Members: David Lee Roth, Eddie Van Halen, Alex Van Halen and Wolfgang Van Halen
Former Members: Mark Stone, Michael Anthony, Sammy Hagar, Gary Cherone
Notable Single(s): Jump (1984), Panama (1984), I'll Wait (1984)
Major Achievements: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame (2007)

Last edited:
2c85eb2bde44430b405dcbe3799e40c8.jpg

Name:Queen
Years Active:1970-present
Current Members: Brian May, Roger Taylor, and Adam Lambert (Vocals)
Former Members: Freddie Mercury, John Deacon, and Paul Rodgers
Notable Single/s: Bohemian Rhapsody(1975), We Will Rock You(1977), We Are The Champions(1977), Don't Stop Me Now(1978), I Want To Break Free(1984), Radio Ga Ga(1984), Crazy Little Thing Called Love(1980)
Major Achievements: Rock & Roll Hall of Fame(2001), Hollywood Walk of Fame(2002), UK Music Hall Of Fame(2004), Songwriters Hall of Fame(2003), Grammy Hall of Fame(Bohemian Rhapsody, 2004), RockWalk of Fame (2004), VH1 Rock Honors(2006), and another Grammy Hall of Fame(We Will Rock You and We Are The Champions, 2009), and more. Please refer to this link for more awards that Queen won.
Additional Info: Queen are a British rock band that formed in London in 1970. Their classic line-up was Freddie Mercury (lead vocals, piano), Brian May (lead guitar, vocals), Roger Taylor (drums, vocals), and John Deacon (bass guitar). Queen's earliest works were influenced by progressive rock, hard rock and heavy metal, but the band gradually ventured into more conventional and radio-friendly works by incorporating further styles, such as arena rock and pop rock, into their music.

Name: Nirvana
Years Active: 1965-71, 1985-
Current Members: Patrick Campbell-Lyons, Alex Spyropoulos
Former Members:
Notable Single(s): Tiny Goddess, Rainbow Chaser, Girl In The Park
Major Achievements:
Additional Information: Sued Seattle band over use of the name, settlement undisclosed.

:sly:

wolfmother_wallpaper_by_adninja-d4ubdzg.jpg

Name:
Wolfmother
Years Active: 2000-Present
Current Members: Andrew Stockdale (Vocals/Guitars), Ian Peres (Bass/Backing) & Alex Carapetis (Drums)
Former Members: Chris Ross (Bass), Myles Heskett (Drums) & Dave Atkins (Drums)
Notable Singles: Woman, Joker & The Thief and Dimension
Major Achievements: Since the release of their debut album they have been compared to rock bands of the 60's & 70's including Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath and AC/DC. They have also been compared to modern rock bands such as The White Strypes, The Darkness and Queens of the Stone Age. Both their singles and albums have been extremely popular, with their debut album "Wolfmother" (and their second album "Cosmic Egg") getting to 3rd in the Australian ARIA Charts, while Dimension made it to #1 in the UK rock charts with Woman & Lovetrain making it to #2.
Additional Information: Wolfmother are an Australian hard rock band from Sydney, formed in 2000. They launched their first album in 2006 to international acclaim, selling over 1.5 Million copies and winning many industry awards. The lineup has changed a few times over the year and Wolfmother have takes some breaks (usually 2 or 3 years long), but they are still going strong, releasing "Victorious" earlier this year. Their work has seen good use as part of soundtracks for games and films, with Saints Row 2 and Need For Speed Carbon both having Wolfmother in their soundtracks, while "Pleased To Meet You" was part of Spider-Man 3's soundtrack. Despite comparisons to other artists, they have still been widely praised with "generally favourable reviews" on Metacritic although some critics claim the band has brought no originality to the genre.

Last edited:
Polls for the Pet Shop Boys and Muse are now open, and the Bob Dylan and Nirvana polls are now close.
Also, before I get lazy and forget like last weekend here are some changes to the rules:
  • The new information format for individual musicians
Name: Name of the nomination
Years Active: How long they been active musicians
Associated Acts: Groups and/or other musicians he/she worked along with.
Major Achievements: Awards, Hall of Fame.

• Removing the rule:
  • More than one person can nominate the same artist, if a artist has more than one nomination their position in queue will move up. If nominated a already nominated artist that counts as a nomination, and your ineligible to nominate again until the artist has been polled. Note: One person is only required to fill out the artist information sheet (see below.)

Some time tonight, or tomorrow I'll be opening up the Cool Wall Results thread and place both Bob Dylan & Nirvana in their spots on the cool wall.

The Results thread is now up, please help me out with making changes and adjustments to the Cool Wall board.

Also, another change to the Cool Wall format:
  • Instead of the give or take format that I'm been using for the past two weekends that results in nomination polls that don't end precisely at 0:00 GMT Sunday, each poll starting yesterday, onwards will now be open for exactly 336 hours (or 2 weeks) after it was created.

Best band around at the moment.
Pharmacy_by_Galantis.jpg

Name: Galantis
Years Active: 2012-present
Current Members: Christian Karlsson Linus Eklöw
Notable Single(s): Runaway (U & I), Peanut Butter Jelly, No Money, Love on Me
Major Achievements: Runaway was nominated for a Grammy in 2016 as Best Dance Recording.
Additional Information: Runaway (U & I) was the first song I found myself downloading as soon as I heard it for the first time. I usually wait for the Now That's What I Call Music compilations and just get all the biggest hits in one go, but this was the first song I just had to own. They've not failed to make a non-banger yet.

psychedelic+furs.JPG

Name:
The Psychedelic Furs
Years Active: 1977-91, 2001-
Current Members: Richard Butler, Tim Butler, Paul Garisto, Mars Williams, Amanda Kramer, Rich Good
Former Members: Paul Wilson, Duncan Kilburn, Roger Morris, Vince Ely, John Ashton
Notable Single(s): Sister Europe, Pretty In Pink, Love My Way, Heaven, The Ghost In You
Major Achievements: Four of seven studio albums reached Top 20 on UK charts
Additional Information: During '90s hiatus, Butler brothers form the band Love Spit Love, whose cover of The Smiths' 'How Soon Is Now?' is used as the theme for Warner Brothers' television show Charmed.

Name: The Seatbelts
Years Active: 1998-2001; 2004; 2009 (As Yoko Kanno's Seat Belts)
Current Members: None
Former Members: Yoko Kanno (conductor), Steve Conte (vocalist), Mai Yamane (Vocalist) with full jazz band
Notable Single(s): The Real Folk Blues (Japanese), Ask DNA (English), Got to Knock a Little Harder (English), Tank! (Instrumental)
Major Achievements: None (that I am aware of)
Additional Information: (see list)

1. Known as the backing band of the anime Cowboy Bebop.
2. According to said anime, the band got its name due to the fact that they had to wear seat belts during long jam sessions.
3. Members of the band itself are from Tokyo, New York and Paris.
4. International musicians of some renown have been credited as members of the band.
5. Some members are still active today. Just not as a group.

@Tex You have another nod.

Sorry about the delay. I been wanting to open up the polls the last couple of weekends, but I been dealing with a busy schedule with work and school; preventing me to open up the threads. Now since it's finals week, I can relieve the stress, focus on this thread. I hoping to start setting up the polls sometime Thursday, and they'll be up on Friday.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Back