• 27 comments

VBR

Meme Dissident in Exile...
Premium
England
Yorkshire
ScapeGoat4U
WhippingBoy
When I'm logged out & browsing the site, it's super fast. However, logging in takes several seconds (5 to 7), & so does navigating between all pages. Not noticed this problem on any other site except GT Planet.

I'm on Win 10 Pro (recently updated to the latest version), & use Firefox.

Last edited:
Viewing the site while logged out can be faster than when you are logged in, as the "public" copies of pages are cached in-memory and in local data centers around the world so they can be served quickly with minimal server load. That caching functionality is bypassed for users signed-in to their account, which trades accuracy and recency (to ensure you're always looking at the latest version of content posted on the site) for speed, not to mention the elements on the page which are custom-generated for each user.

Your edge datacenter may be serving the cached content quickly, but has some issues connecting to the primary server in Florida for a fresh copy of the data. However, I'm not aware of any such issues in the infrastructure at the moment. Are you using a VPN?

It used to load at the same speed regardless of whether I was logged in or out, & has only been happening for the last few days. I don't use a VPN.

I think the problem coincided with the last Win 10 Pro update. Also, had a Firefox update around the same time.

Will try it in a different browser now...

EDIT: Tried it in Edge & it's still slow, so probably not a browser issue.

Last edited:
Whatever the issue was it seems to be working fine now.

It started happening again yesterday. And, today it's really slow even when I'm logged out. Strange...

:confused:

Today it's back to being fast when logged out & logged in. Weird. Now thinking it might be a problem with my ISP...

This problem has been coming and going for a while now, although it's been happening pretty much all the time recently. Very frustrating not knowing why...

:confused: :banghead: :ouch:

Can't say I experience that pretty much ever. It's more likely that it's on your end, have you contacted your ISP yet?

Or maybe you should have taken the blue pill?

We've had a good uptick in traffic over the past few days, but there are no issues with the infrastructure or network that I'm aware of.

We've had a good uptick in traffic over the past few days, but there are no issues with the infrastructure or network that I'm aware of.

I've troubleshot everything I can think of, so I ended up making another account just to see if anything would change, and it did. On the test account, I have no problems whatsoever, I only have problems on this account, so I guess the problem is on your end somewhere...

Here's the test account I created, please delete it: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/members/account1.318468/

That's interesting. I can try flushing the user session caches to get some fresh data on the server, but I'm not sure if that will help.

Let me know if you see any change.

That's interesting. I can try flushing the user session caches to get some fresh data on the server, but I'm not sure if that will help.

It seems to be working fine today. I hope it was that that helped.

👍

VBR
It seems to be working fine today. I hope it was that that helped.

👍

This has started happening again the last few days...

Last edited:
I can try flushing the user session caches to get some fresh data on the server...
Would you please try this again? It seemed to fix the problem last time.

I just moved the site over to new server infrastructure (again) a few days ago; it should be faster in every way. I've restarted a few services and cleared some caches so hopefully that resolved any issues for you.

I just moved the site over to new server infrastructure (again) a few days ago; it should be faster in every way. I've restarted a few services and cleared some caches so hopefully that resolved any issues for you.
Thank you. However, I still continue to get several seconds loading times between pages, or clicking on anything.

@Jordan this has been happening to me for the last 4 the days now, I am the continuing to get several seconds loading times up to 11 seconds sometimes between pages. I have never encountered this ever on your website before, and what do you recommend to fix this issue because it is very frustrating.

Last edited:
Hi @Jordan what did you do to the loading times on pages, because the loading times for clicking on pages are now very quick. I mentioned to @Famine on another Thread about error messages with loading pages, and now they have gone as well when I reply to other members post.

Last edited:
It's hard to say. I have been doing a lot of maintenance on the site's infrastructure behind the scenes this week and we still have some ongoing issues, but it's good to know things are working well for you now.

It's hard to say. I have been doing a lot of maintenance on the site's infrastructure behind the scenes this week and we still have some ongoing issues, but it's good to know things are working well for you now.
Thank you, and keep up with your good work Jordon on this website :cheers:.

I've basically had this be the case since the current version of GTP was launched. Doesn't matter if I'm on my computer or my phone, which ISP I'm using, etc. Basically just browse the site logged out now and log in to post before logging back out.

Just an update on this issue; it completely disappeared yesterday, and has been fine today also. I can see no discernible reason for this, either getting the issue or it resolving...

VBR
When I'm logged out & browsing the site, it's super fast. However, logging in takes several seconds (5 to 7), & so does navigating between all pages. Not noticed this problem on any other site except GT Planet.

I'm on Win 10 Pro (recently updated to the latest version), & use Firefox.
I have the same problem, Win 10, Google Chrome.

Ever since the site was updated, a year or so ago, if I leave it idle for about 10 minutes, everything slows way down.
It takes forever to type a post because it stops me in the middle of typing. Also it changes from secure to unsecure.

@Jordan I use a PC with Windows 10. If I type a long post, usually after a few minutes, it stops accepting my keyboard inputs, and a Microsoft message pops up saying the page is unresponsive. All I can do to remedy it, is refresh the page.
I guess it could be something weird on my end, but I can't say I've seen the same issue with any other websites, and it never happened on the previous version of your website. :confused:

It's hard to say what is causing that, but my first guess would be a browser plugin which doesn't play nicely with the advanced post editor that was introduced with GTP16 last year.

My first troubleshooting suggestion would be to disable the advanced editor by clicking the "Toggle BB Code" button by clicking the [] button in the toolbar. Try using it with the advanced mode disabled for a while and see if it makes a difference.

Another suggestion would be to try a different browser or disable your browser plugins to see if anything changes. Any plugins or software which "read" or process what you type (like Grammarly) could potentially cause an issue like that.

Back