GTP ToTW Modder's Category?

Should Modded Tracks Be Allowed in The ToTW Voting?

• Total voters
United States
Divided States of America
MikuHime80
There are a lot of fun tracks that can be made with the limits of the TPE, but taking those limits and restrictions off, and it is a whole new ballgame. I dont know how others feel about this, but I think that modded courses should be allowed in the ToTW voting, or at least have its own sub so that some of the creators that use mods can have the spotlight shine on them too.

Whats your take on it?

Yes, definitely.
But with it's own sub category, not joined as it wouldn't be fair on those who spent alot of time & effort creating a very good track with the official TPE. Also I wouldn't allow the really stupid tracks with extreme elevation either. So to qualify, a normal everyday car has to be able to complete a lap.
The unofficial GTPlanet track of the week :)

How about we just post here, and have the same format as the regular TOTW. We'll vote on which is best through a link to a google survey or something.

Another awesome idea of yours, Nas! I voted for "Own category", though, because most modded tracks tend to be better than non-modded tracks. Still, it's a great idea which should be immediately practiced. Take notes, @SlipZtrEm! 👍

Another awesome idea of yours, Nas! I voted for "Own category", though, because most modded tracks tend to be better than non-modded tracks. Still, it's a great idea which should be immediately practiced. Take notes, @SlipZtrEm! 👍

Oh, there's no need for note-taking: I've known about the demand for the modded Editor since we opened up TOTW to user submissions!

The issues have always been availability and running afoul of PD/Sony. In the case of the former, as evidenced by the number of people that ask how to even get the tracks in the spotlight (seriously, check the GTP Facebook!), not everybody is as in-tune with what's out there. The modded editor would need a very, very clear path of accessibility if we're opening it up to that.

In the case of the second issue: I've gone through the necessary channels, and that's now sorted. We're all good there.

That means as soon as the Week 31 Submission thread, modded tracks could be eligible. It does bring up another issue though: as many in here have argued, the modded entries enjoy a significant advantage over those working with the official editor. Putting them in the same polls could put those working with what PD gave them at a disadvantage, so perhaps we'll have to alternate weeks. Odd weeks focus on modded, even weeks for official? How does that sound? :)

Lastly, I will need the community's help making more sense of the modded editor. Availability, what's possible, etc. You guys are the experts here!

:cheers:

Maybe no crossing intersections or excessively long tracks (like keep it around 15 miles, I don't know what the longest track is so...)

Oh, there's no need for note-taking: I've known about the demand for the modded Editor since we opened up TOTW to user submissions!

The issues have always been availability and running afoul of PD/Sony. In the case of the former, as evidenced by the number of people that ask how to even get the tracks in the spotlight (seriously, check the GTP Facebook!), not everybody is as in-tune with what's out there. The modded editor would need a very, very clear path of accessibility if we're opening it up to that.

In the case of the second issue: I've gone through the necessary channels, and that's now sorted. We're all good there.

That means as soon as the Week 31 Submission thread, modded tracks could be eligible. It does bring up another issue though: as many in here have argued, the modded entries enjoy a significant advantage over those working with the official editor. Putting them in the same polls could put those working with what PD gave them at a disadvantage, so perhaps we'll have to alternate weeks. Odd weeks focus on modded, even weeks for official? How does that sound? :)

Lastly, I will need the community's help making more sense of the modded editor. Availability, what's possible, etc. You guys are the experts here!

Awesome to hear! It's amazing what kind of stuff the likes of @Razerman and @PR1VATEJ0KER can spit out with mods, and how much more fun TPE is even with the simple "no checks" apk. :)

PrivateJoker's no-checks APK is available here - https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...racks-discussion.337816/page-14#post-11336486

This is really beneficial for creating good tracks. NOT because you can make crossovers, but all the other less obvious freedoms make for better tracks in less time:

In descending order of importance, IMO:

1) You can import an image file for any theme, not only Eifel Flat. The main use is to import a contour map of the theme you are using, so you can understand the elevation as you create the track. This means, finally, you can create tracks that relate to the terrain in a realistic way, eg a series of hairpins that actually ascend a steep hillside, with a lot less time-consuming trial and error than with the official version.

2) You can put the start/finish straight anywhere, giving freedom to use the terrain you can now see. This also opens up crests/dips in the start/finish straight.

3) When creating the track, you can put the markers anywhere. With the official version, you end up shuffling one marker a little bit, then the next, then the next, then moving the first one again in an endless round of adjusting to get the track where you want it. With the no-checks version, you drag each point directly to the desired location - it doesn't matter that the intermediate states are 'invalid', once you finish moving all the points you will be back in a valid state anyway. Makes trackmaking much quicker and easier, especially when revising an existing section of track.

4) You can bring two sections of track closer than the official version allows. This isn't that significant, but it allows more perfect replicas of some real world tracks. It also creates some nice graphical effects, e.g. feeling the next section of road towering over you as you approach a hairpin, or running the back straight over the roof of the pit garages, which can help give TPE tracks some much-needed character.

5) You can make corners tighter than the official version allows. GT6 copes fine with turns quite a bit tighter than the offical TPE permits, and throwing in a few tighter curves can again make courses feel more interesting. Some caution is needed if you want to run the AI - it's possible to create actual 'hard' 90 degree corners, like a street corner or a 'bus stop' chicane, but the AI can't cope with them. They render and drive fine though (as long as camber is minimal).

And two things which aren't especially helpful:
6) You can make courses longer than 10km. Generally I don't think this is helpful, as super-long courses are usually fairly boring, and the PS3 will crash if you try and make it too long.

7) You can make courses with crossovers. Sadly, you still see the banking for the track you are crossing, so (at best) you end up driving 'through' a green wall rather than having a proper bridge or tunnel. Therefore I don't think this is particularly useful for actual fun tracks.

As a result of 1-5, using the PrivateJoker APK enables creating better tracks with less time and hassle. If Sony are ok, I think we should be trying to encourage as many GTPlanet track creators as possible to install the PJ version, because I think it will lead to more cool tracks for us all to enjoy.

The modded editor would need a very, very clear path of accessibility if we're opening it up to that.

Here's my best shot at a straightforward three-step guide:

1) On your Android device, go to this link and download the file 'Disabled Checks/HomeStraight Anywhere' - https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...racks-discussion.337816/page-14#post-11336486

2) On your Android device, go to Settings, scroll down to Security, and check the 'Unknown sources' option.

3) Now in your app tray, find the 'Downloads' option (it may be hiding inside a folder like Tools). Find the APK you downloaded in step (1) above, (try sorting by date if you have many downloads) and select it. This will install the modded APK.

There's a guide with screenshots here - http://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/how-to-install-apps-outside-of-google-play/

You can then launch it as usual and start using the new freedoms to create better tracks more easily!

Last edited:

Question, related to this: I've been working on a PC tool that makes it easier to modify the elevation of course maker tracks. Are we allowed to share this and other modding tools here on GTPlanet? It involves:

1. A tool that extracts the track file from a GT6 replay file.
2. A tool that extracts the height data from the track file and lets you edit it (this is the tool I've been working on).
3. A tool that uploads the track file to the GT6 servers as a new track.

Major titles such as GTA have always allowed modding, with certain conditions. Most are obvious.

You must own a legit copy of the game and must not share the code of the game in any form.

The mod must not enable easy progress through the single player mode. (Hence GT6 hotfix for championship resume glitching to custom tracks.)

The mod must not give a competitive advantage in public events. Such as hybrids in Seasonals.

You must not sell it nor use anything copied from a commercial product whose license forbids this. (Such as a car from another game.)

Last edited:
Back