GTP WRS Comprehensive Guide

• Thread starter Sureboss
  • 42 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I have been confused from the start on the scoring system used on the time trials. I have looked all over for a description/explanation but can not find any.

Taking the results listed for week 55 for example, can anyone answer these few questions for me.

Division
11--1'02.173---GTP_ConRollins (Verified)

Overall
29--1'02.173---GTP_ConRollins r=4.286 (d4/1.875)

What is r=4.286 (d4/1.875)?

Handicapped Results
41--1'01.516---(1.87533)---GTP_ConRollins

How is 1’01.516 arrived at?
And what the heck does (Settings: Weight = 1.000 Squeeze = 1.102 Scoot = 0.132) mean?

I have no doubt all this means valid things and are applied equally across the board, but I just like to understand the process.

Thank you

Overall
29--1'02.173---GTP_ConRollins r=4.286 (d4/1.875)

What is r=4.286 (d4/1.875)?

4.286 is your handicap result for that week.
The d4 in brackets means that you ran a time above the division 4 par time (but faster than division 5).
1.875 is the handicap delta between that weeks result and your current divisional handicap (roughly updated every 4 events).

Your divisional handicap = 4.286 - (1.875) = 2.411

In other word's, you're a d2 Silver driver that achieved a d4 lap time that week.

You might also see something like this next week...

GTP_ConRollins r=2.286 (d2/-0.125)

Your divisional handicap = 2.286 - (-0.125) = 2.411

Which would mean that you'd achieved a d2 lap time that week and went faster than your handicap (denoted by the -ve value).

Handicapped Results
41--1'01.516---(1.87533)---GTP_ConRollins

How is 1’01.516 arrived at?
And what the heck does (Settings: Weight = 1.000 Squeeze = 1.102 Scoot = 0.132) mean?

1'01.516 was your lap time after the handicap was applied, but I have no idea on the formula, or the explanation for squeeze and scoot - they can be found somewhere around here.

I believe that all events have a weight of 1.00 apart from the qualifier, which has a weight of 2.00 i.e. how much relative importance the result has on your divisional handicap

Some more info can be found here

Last edited:
In my opinion Having it both ways makes it too confusing for the person verifying the (replay) submital. Maybe we should submit the best lap time that corrisponds with splits to dispell any confusion. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Some more info can be found here

Excellent, thanks for posting that link. I had been wondering how the handicaps were calculated.

Another thing I've been wondering: are there ever demotions? I qualified as Div 4, but have been solidly Div 5 in my first few time trials. Hopefully I'll do well enough to turn the average around before promotion time, and make the point moot. But I'm curious whether it's a possibility.

Excellent, thanks for posting that link. I had been wondering how the handicaps were calculated.

Another thing I've been wondering: are there ever demotions? I qualified as Div 4, but have been solidly Div 5 in my first few time trials. Hopefully I'll do well enough to turn the average around before promotion time, and make the point moot. But I'm curious whether it's a possibility.

No demotions over here.

We only demote when the member requests it, AND their performance trend warrants it.

The only ones we've done have been in the higher divisions, moving people out of 1 or 2 at their request.

I would suggest that you continue to work at it, and you'll be performing with your division in no time.

You seemed to have decent pace in the online race yesterday, plus you handled the car well even with over aggressive lead lap cars taking a few liberties (myself included and thanks for that). I would say that with a combination of the time trials and weekly online races you'll probably be asking in a hand full of weeks how the calculations work for promotions. :sly:

I have one "method" that put me over the hump (one hump at least and there are more to go). I started running the time trials for a few early sessions until I hit diminishing returns working with my ghost. Basically you want to get the basic lines down and major increments in speed achieved with your ghost and understanding where you lose/gain time. But at that point I switched to running online for a few daily sessions (e.g. Thurs-Sat) to do longer runs with tires degrading.

Running online, even alone, made me understand tire loads/grip better and point out subtle mistakes or corners I was entering too fast, but didn't pay enough of a price with no tire wear offline. If possible team up with another driver near your pace and chase and discuss and experiment. More social and a nice break from the offline solo runs which can become a grind if you aren't seeing returns. Hydro and Gravitron were my primary learning mates (which eventually led to 3D3, but that's another story). Mix in online/offline sessions.

When you return offline you can gain valuable tenths applying these "learnings", plus the extra grip (and lack of fuel weight) going from online to offline will make you feel like a super hero (for a few laps at least before your ghost gets faster).

Also, after the weekly WRS-OE/3D3 races save the replay and go back and study the best laps of the fastest drivers.

Finally, enjoy the journey and all the great racing offline and online!

Thanks for the feedback, WRP. I have definitely noticed that I hit a plateau quickly in the offline TTs. And also that racing online teaches me to pay attention to the ever-changing feel of the tires, rather than just trying to consistently hit the same line. But I hadn't thought of putting the two together, and using online conditions to improve the offline runs on the same track. Great tip.

How long does it take for my results to appear on the leaders board. First time submitting and don't know what to expect.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks Mick.

I had to check the PM's to Fetchy and I bet you got a message saying that your time was rejected.

To get your splits on the board, you only need to post those first 3 splits like here. The last sector is always kept secret untill the deadline has passed.

If you want to submit your time, you only need to send this "Time: xx'xx.xxx" to Fetchy. No splits are needed in that PM.

Ok great thanks for that. Next question do I just post my splits in that weeks thread or pm them as well?

Thanks heaps. Mick.

You dont PM the splits, just post in the thread of the related WRS event, it will automaticaly show-up on the leaderboard, then once you are ready for submitting the final laptime before the end of the event, you send a PM to fetchbot with the final laptime only, like Speedy described ^^. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back