GTP WRS-Online : Event 104 : Trial Time! - September 4

• Thread starter oink83
  • 49 comments
Results for EU race:

upiB1uP.png

Congratulations JTV for the win, and Lefty & Anastasis respectively for their podiums.

👍 Once again for the last minute rescue Left, and also Pekka for jumping in tonight and giving us an official race.

I really didn't enjoy driving this car, during practice, nor that much during the race, so I have decided to step out of the NA race later on. I will likely still be awake at that time (god knows why), so if by a rare chance you guys don't muster the full 6 for official, drop a note in the thread, and I'll be more than happy to jump in and make numbers. I'll put in as reserve on the signups.

Congrats Jon, and well-done Lefty on almost keeping up with Jon. 👍

Wow, Pekka, I thought a no-stopper was impossible. :eek:

@Oink, I was hoping that you had filmed the race since we were glued together for a good portion of it. I got a good chance to see how my torq gearing would just keep pulling as I heard you shifting. It was a great test of what works for me vs the conventional method. Here is my gearing if anyone was curious.

29y3go.jpg

I only use 2nd - 5th, use 1st if you need a little more air brakes at the 1st turn :lol: It's really like a 3 speed since I only use a splash of 5th between S/F and the braking point for the 1st turn. Giver a try if you got nothing to lose :)

Last edited:
I actually considered doing a gear setting like this earlier when I was running some laps, but just opted for a provided gearing.

I'm going to show up a little early to get a better grip on my fuel call, I took too much in the EU race and it showed up at the end.

Main lounge is open and ready to go. I am away from the PS3 for a bit.

Al

Congrats Andrew on your first win (overall as well!), best overall pole lap, and fastest overall race lap. :cheers: I'm curious if you were on DS3 tonight or on your wheel?

NA Results
event104NAresults_zps37f1b49d.png

Combined Results
event104CombinedResults_zpsd6ca50ff.png

Results updated

Again, congrats Andrew on a great race. Many of us were convinced you were on a 2-stop strategy given your early pit. But you pushed on till the end.

Bart and Jon must have given you a great fight in the first stint, given the 3-triangles-as-one that I saw ahead, with Pekka in close tow.

I deserved what I got, showing up last-minute and then doing my normal leave-and-come-back so I could see Lefty. :confused:
Had some good battles with Joe, Patrick, Al, and of course, the pit entrance! :dunce: Got a drive-through for that, with no option to changes tires. :ouch:

The preview of next week's anniversary race was also pretty fun. :D

Last edited:
Sorry for any ruffled feathers in the EU and the NA race but I was just playing a little tight and accuracy is so critical in those situations. I guess I'm the heavy in those two deals but I must have counted a couple more that were just racing, and a little give and take is what makes racing memorable when everyone makes it through in one piece.

With Oink in race one I kesterd him a touch and responded to his PM and in race two what was a nudge to me ended up being an evening killer for Al, to which I extend my most hart felt apology. "sorry Al"

Last edited:
Congrats Andrew on your first win (overall as well!), best overall pole lap, and fastest overall race lap. :cheers: I'm curious if you were on DS3 tonight or on your wheel?

Thanks! :) I used the DS3, only because I had zero practice with the wheel on this combo. Also it's easier to not put too much steering input and smoke the tires through the turn, especially with a FF car.

Many of us were convinced you were on a 2-stop strategy given your early pit. But you pushed on till the end.

Well, I came in the race with no strategy whatsoever. So I just decided to pit on lap 14. Mainly because I wanted to have some clean laps without being pressured by Bart and Jon! :scared:

Bart and Jon must have given you a great fight in the first stint, given the 3-triangles-as-one that I saw ahead, with Pekka in close tow.

Yeah! It was fun battling them. I think on one of the laps, I had pulled a several car length lead on them, but nearly ended up like that video you posted during the time trial of that last turn crash. Luckily I was able to save it! :crazy:

Last edited:
... but nearly ended up like that video you posted during the time trial of that last turn crash. Luckily I was able to save it! :crazy:

You mean like this? :grumpy:

It's what I get for running wide in the previous corner. Luckily Patrick just laughed and sailed on.

That looks painful. I watched Al do that in practice prior to the EU race, sorry to see you got that in the race.

That looks painful. I watched Al do that in practice prior to the EU race, sorry to see you got that in the race.

I think I saw Al do somethink like that just after the pit exit around lap 13

On another note, Lucas' video is probably the shortest and fastest way to the pits :lol:

Sorry for any ruffled feathers in the EU and the NA race but I was just playing a little tight and accuracy is so critical in those situations. I guess I'm the heavy in those two deals but I must have counted a couple more that were just racing, and a little give and take is what makes racing memorable when everyone makes it through in one piece.

With Oink in race one I kesterd him a touch and responded to his PM and in race two what was a nudge to me ended up being an evening killer for Al, to which I extend my most hart felt apology. "sorry Al"

Thank you Lefty, much appreciated.

At the time I was hoping we could have made it around the corner side by side. Watching the replay I was impressed with your reduced angle approach to that corner to get inside me in the first place. You did take all the track that I left you (impressed again) but that darn little nudge from the curb spoiled it. I think it would have been a great chance to follow you and try to stay in your draft. My tires only had 4 more laps left in them according to my strategy. I needed a pull!

See you again next week, and thanks again to you and Pekka for making the EU race official.

Al

Lefty and Lucas, I had a great time last night racing with you 2. That was some finish between Lefty and I, he bobbled just slightly on the last turn and I got him by tenths at the line. It may be the first time, that I really had no catastrophic incidents which allowed me to be somewhat competitive. Lefty that one tap was not a pay back, just got a little excited when I saw you go that wide and saw the opening, just did not quite execute it the way I should have (sorry) . That race was probably my first WRS race where I felt confident and relaxed. It helped that I ran the whole race in practice mode, so I had a pretty good idea at what lap it was time to go conservative.

When I hook on to a video game that I like it has to have reality as one of it's components, I found GTP because of SHIFT and then came GT5 w/ it's online side that filled the bill as the SHIFT league was nearing it's end, so I was so excited to have GT5 to pickup where SHIFT left off.

I was stoked when I got to race against my fellow TTerz, but my connection was too sad for the requirements of the game and I had to bow out. It took over a yr. for me to be able to upgrade my pathetic connection to something that seems to work (knock on wood) well enough to not drop off my connection or play games w/ ghost cars on the most part.

Now that I have started to pick back up where I was when I had to give up the online side of life, the online version of the TTz has given my TTing a purpose, and in spirit of this place I just want you all to know that I would never take anyone out on purpose or stuff and run.

My passes are calculated and daring for the most part when I'm able to stay up w/ a pack and I hope that my experience shows up in the replays as a little bit head shaking and memorable. I constantly struggle w/ trying to figure out how the fast guys are able to gap me like I'm standing still so as we all know there is plenty of room to grow.

@ Al I always look forward to you showing up because were close to the same speed and I might have someone to run most of the race w/ and w/ patrick and Oink and of course Max it was a true challenge to dice w/ youz guyz because your TT times always seem to be better then mine off line. Lookin forward to the next one, Peace .... out 👍

Lefty has been assessed a 30sec drive-through penalty for making contact during a risky pass, and not waiting for the affected driver.

The OLR sections which are relevant:
OLR
08: Corner Rights:

A:
When approaching the turn/apex of turn, the car which "holds" the inner side of turn has entrance-advantage and other driver(s) must refrain from endangering him by his actions.

B:
You must establish substantial overlap with the car ahead before they reach the corner’s turn-in point to have the right to drive up their inside, or to expect them to leave inside room for you. At least the front of your car should be up to the driver’s position in the ahead car. The ahead driver has the right to be fully committed to the racing line of their choice without any interference if there was no substantial overlap before he turned in.

C:
If sufficient overlap is established before the turn-in point, then the behind driver has the right to sufficient side room. The ahead driver must also leave sufficient side room for the behind driver. This means that each driver has a right to their respective "line", or side of the track, right up to the exit point. Neither driver should squeeze the other toward the inside or outside of the corner during the apex or exit.

D:
If an ahead driver has clearly made an error to warrant a passing move, a behind driver may attack their position, with due caution and care, regardless of whether there was any pre-existing overlap. However, the overtaking driver must still avoid contact. Small errors by the ahead driver may not justify a passing move. The ahead driver getting a bit out of shape at times doesn’t give you an automatic right to pass. You still have to judge if their error allows for a safe pass to take place.

Al did make a mistake that made getting alongside him easy. But Lefty made the mistake of hitting the inside rumble which shunted him to his right, into Al.
Therefore, Lefty should have waited for Al to retake his place ahead of Lefty.
Lefty could have avoided this penalty with that contact concession.

event104NAresults_zps37f1b49d.png

event104CombinedResults_zpsd6ca50ff.png

Yah I guess it was an unfortunate incident on my part but ya have to admit that was some perdy darn good stalking :lol: "Guilty as charged" "my bad" :(

Last edited:
The answer is there in the rules I posted:

B:
You must establish substantial overlap with the car ahead before they reach the corner’s turn-in point to have the right to drive up their inside, or to expect them to leave inside room for you. At least the front of your car should be up to the driver’s position in the ahead car. The ahead driver has the right to be fully committed to the racing line of their choice without any interference if there was no substantial overlap before he turned in.

No one is questioning the stalking, yes, it was good to watch. 👍

The point is that you often can't know 100% who is at fault right at the point of the incident, so better safe than sorry, and wait. You would have probably lost 15sec if you'd waited, but instead you got docked 30sec.

Back