WRP001

GTP Race Admin
Staff Emeritus
United States
California
GTP_WRP001

wrstitlesoe3d3.png

Presents...

GT5 Week 30 Online: Why has it Denso Long?
or When Is Major Tom Coming Home?

An Online Race based on GT5 Week 25 Time Trial

GrandValleySpeedwayVagabondeyes-800.jpg

:: Only Open to Qualified GTP_Registered Members ::

:: Members are not obligated to take part ::

April 4, 2012

European Time Slot

3:00 PM Eastern | 12:00 PM Pacific | 19:00 PM GMT

img.php

North American Time Slot

10:00 PM Eastern | 7:00 PM Pacific | 2:00 AM GMT

img.php

Choice of Lexus SC430 (Super GT) '08 @ Grand Valley Speedway

190611_sgtspg_big-1.jpg
track_grand_valley_speedway.jpg

Steward's Comments:
To spice things up a little bit and add variety we are allowing drivers to pick from the two very similar Lexus SC430 models: Denso Dunlop OR Petronas TOM's. If you sign up for both time slots you can even choose a different car for each race.

Last edited by a moderator:
wrstitleseventdetails.png

Lounge Settings (@ GTP_3D3Racing)

• Race Quality: Standard
  • Voice Chat Quality: Low (Disabled if grid is over 12 drivers)

Official Practice Times

• EU: Tuesday @ 3:00 PM Eastern | 12:00 PM Pacific | 19:00 GMT
  • NA: Tuesday @ 8:00 PM Eastern | 05:00 PM Pacific | 00:00 GMT
  • Pre-Race: The lounge is open for pre-race practice appx 1 hour prior to the official start of each event

Course & Car Settings

Qualification Procedures

• Type: Live Online Single Stint - No pits
  • Notes: If grid<=10 we will run a ten minute general quali session. If grid>10 we will run two groups and allow only 2 hot laps per driver.

Event Settings

• Game Mode: Normal Race
  • Laps: 30
  • Start Type: Grid Start w/False Start Check
  • Grid Order: Fastest First
  • Boost: No
  • Slipstream strength: Weak
  • Penalty: Off
  • Automatic Race Start Cycle: Disabled
  • Race Finish Delay: 110 seconds (first increment above estimated lap time to give drivers a chance to finish one lap)
  • Grip Reduction: Real
  • Mechanical Damage: Light
  • Visible Damage: Off
  • Tire Wear / Fuel Consumption: On
  • Pits: Optional

Regulation Settings

• Car Restriction: See above (from Online Car Dealer)
  • Performance Points: NA
  • Power: 572 HP (Engine Stage 3 Allowed)
  • Weight: 1100 kg
  • Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifcations: N/A
  • Turbo or Supercharger: Not Allowed (Turbo is verifiable by checking for the turbo meter on the HUD).
  • Tire Restrictions: See above
  • Skid Recovery Force | Active Steering | ASM: Disabled
  • TCS | Driving Line | ABS: Optional

Standard Clean OLR Rules Apply:

• Unless otherwise specified, all rules from the original WRS event apply.
  • You are expected to drive clean at all times as if you are racing in the WRS. All participants are required to follow the GTPlanet Online Racing Rules & Guidelines.
  • 3D3 Race Stewards (who are taking part in race, but will review the replay) reserve the right to boot or invalidate the result of any driver from the Race Room for driving offensively. If you ignore any warnings from the stewards and are booted from the race room, you will not be allowed to participate in future 3D3 events.
  • 2 wheels on (or vertically in line with) the track at all times
  • Tarmac and Red and White Rumbles are part of the track.
  • Concrete, Cobbles and other surfaces found outside of rumble strips are not part of the track.
  • Runoff areas are not part of the track.
  • Limit your contact with walls or objects, visible or invisible
  • No hybrids
  • No cheating of any kind
  • Nothing that goes against the spirit of the rules
  • Passing and Blocking: Aggressive blocking is not permitted, but the driver in front has the right to choose his/her line and braking point and drivers behind should respect that line. Be especially careful when you are on older tires than the competition as the speed difference may be significant. These events are "for fun" so just play nice and take a conservative rather than an aggressive approach when possible.

Good Luck, OLR Team:gtplanet:

GrandValleySpeedway_6-800.jpg

Last edited:
wrstitlesdriverregistra.png

In the event of a field of 14-16 drivers we will disable mics and race with one grid. With 17+ we will split the grid.

event30_reg.png

(table will auto update approximately every 30 minutes)

Registration Instructions

The following must be performed by every driver for every event:
  • Click the registration button above, fill-in and submit the online registration form (use your GTP_ tag ID)
  • Leave a quick note in this thread to let us know you've registered and any other comments.
The following must be performed only one time per driver (not per event):
  • Send a PSN friend request to GTP_3D3Racing, GTP_3D3_A and GTP_3D3_B from your GTP_tag account.
  • Submit the 3D3 Racing Online Driver Database Entry Form. Your information will need to be verified before you are added to the db and before your ID will appear in the registered driver table above. You can view the official driver database here.

There is a 32 car/driver limit for this event (per region) and slots are awarded on the grid using a first come first serve basis. Reference the registered drivers table above for availability. This is a stand alone race and points are not tallied for a series. Future WRS-Online races hosted by 3D3 racing may have different driver limits and will require re-registration using the same first come first serve basis and participation in future events is optional.

Registration Changes

If you want to change your time slot, add a time slot or update your color choices just click on the registration link and fill out the form again and submit with new values. Your last entry will override any previous entries.

Cancellations

If for some reason, after you register for the event, you are unable to attend please click the registration button above and complete the form again selecting "cancel" as your status. Please also post a note in this thread as the table above can take some time to update.

Eligibility

This WRS-Online event hosted by 3D3 Racing is open to GTP_Registered members only. If you are not currently on the registry run the GTP_Registry qualifier and join now!

GrandValleySpeedway_1-800.jpg

Last edited:
I like this better anyway.:dopey:

I've been eyeing this one for a long time. Never got to run the time trial because I was travelling and I love driving Super GT cars. It will be interesting to get everyone's feedback on the car choices and see what people decide to do with the car choice. Personally I'm going to try and run one for each time slot.

PS> Curious what you guys think of the "Grid Start w/False Start Check". We've never used that option in our events so figured no time better than the present to give it a shot.

Last edited:
I've been eyeing this one for a long time. Never got to run the time trial because I was travelling and I love driving Super GT cars. It will be interesting to get everyone's feedback on the car choices and see what people decide to do with the car choice. Personally I'm going to try and run one for each time slot.

PS> Curious what you guys think of the "Grid Start w/False Start Check". We've never used that option in our events so figured no time better than the present to give it a shot.
It's not bad, I quite like that option. It's just that sometimes the message comes so late on my screen that I immediately get a penalty for not pressing the brake. An easy solution is to hold the brake during the black screen of course. It does add a little more dimension; I wouldn't vote against it.👍

I like the false start check, adds a whole new dimension to starts. I will be signing up for both races and try both cars out. Any performance differences between them?

Last edited:
One other setting of note this week is the race finish delay.

We're going to set it to the first value allowed by the system which is higher than the estimated lap time. The time trial laps ranged from 1'43.9 to 1'50.8 so we'll set it to 110 seconds.

The goal is to allow any driver on the lead lap to finish that lap, but minimize the amount of racing that takes place in/around the AI controlled cars that have already finished.

Using that same range of lap times the estimated duration of the race at 30 laps should be 55 minutes give or take a couple depending on the number of stops required.

I like the false start check, adds a whole another dimension to starts. I will be signing up for both races and try both cars out. Any performance differences between them?

From what I understand maybe just minor handling differences. Almost every Super GT series I researched had both these cars at exactly the same specs so the assumption is they are equal in overall pace, but different drivers may have different preferences for handling based on their styles. In fact, I understand some people apply the same tunes to both so they've got to be close. If for some reason we discover one has a big advantage we'll certainly make everyone aware, but I don't expect that to be the case. Also you are not locked into your car choice so if you try them both out and want to switch you can do so right up until race time.

Certainly was a great TT event and will make for a great race. Can post my TT offline car set-up later if anyone's interested.

Certainly was a great TT event and will make for a great race. Can post my TT offline car set-up later if anyone's interested.

Please post it and we'll give it a shot with the usual ride height tweaks to make it work online.

I'm in the lounge now running a Denso if anyone is interested in doing a few early laps.

PS> I just ran a solo race and confirmed that solo race do count for break in miles.

Last edited:
Awesome combo 👍. I love this track!, also reminds me of a GT3 WRS combo I ran way back when lol. Supras @ GV. Anyway, I have a few things planned work wise next week but since the race starts so early I might be safe. Will double check.

Any setups posted will be appreciated, I'll also share mine once I give it a crack.

Thanks Carlos... of course the question is do I have the skills to drive your tune?

I included a link to your tune in the details post.

Gunna go with the Lexus Petronas. After some laps in each, times were the same pretty much but felt more consistent in the Petronas.

I edited your tune, Carlos, to make it a tad more DS3 friendly, mainly ride hide and toe settings. Cheers for posting 👍

I'll be in the 3D3 main lounge practicing for a short while, maybe 30 mins.

I'm in there now Scott. See you soon. I may step away, but I've got the room all set up and I'll be back.

Haven't really tried anything but the Praiano tune just to get a baseline time because I'm very "comfortable" with his tunes for races (not always best for single laps) and I'm doing best laps about 1'48.3.

Sorry about that Jon, I don't know what I was doing but I turned my PS3 off mid sentence on you. When I got back into the lobby you were gone.

WRP001
Haven't really tried anything but the Praiano tune just to get a baseline time because I'm very "comfortable" with his tunes for races (not always best for single laps) and I'm doing best laps about 1'48.3.

Put on a CSL online tune and ran 1'47.9. Will try a modified Carlos tune tomorrow. Not sure we will get close to the offline times as the curbs are slick with real grip reduction. Fronts burn down quick too so only a couple laps per stint to run fastest laps. Great track though and car is a good match

Also have yet to try the Petronas Tom's.

In the lounge looking for Major Tom. Anybody know where he is or when I should expect him to arrive?

Well Tom with CSL's loose setup rewarded me with a 1'47.777, but it rotates almost too well. In the hairpin just before the end of sector 1 the car doesn't want to stop rotating. Any tips on keeping the rear in line on that corner will help greatly. I must be losing 0.4 right there just making sure I don't lose the car and I still do a good percent of the time.

Jon, I tried your tune and I can't drive it. Without the max downforce in the rear that hairpin is not controllable for me. Probably would work fine offline, but needs tweaks to work online I think.

CSL's stable setup got me a 1'47.489. It didn't feel as fast, but I got a better exit from the hairpin since it tended to stay grounded and allowed for earlier application of throttle. I think I could go faster in the loose setup, but for a long race the stable setup is my pick so far.

I'm out of the lounge, but will be back later tonight. A few tweaks to the transmission and I'm at 1'47.277 and I was up a tenth a couple times after T1. I'm thinking high 1'46s will be possible with a bit more work.

Last edited:
Nice progress mate 👍, you have dropped a good second already :D.

Ive given it 30mins this morning to pretty much tune the car and get a good feel for it.

Here is what I have so far

-15/-18
16/12.8
7/5
7/5
6/4

2/1
0/0

5/11/8

Full Downforce

Gearing
Top Speed: 330
Final: 3.553

1st: 3.222
2nd: 2.120
3rd: 1.649
4th: 1.314
5th: 1.103
6th: 0.948

Managed a 1'46.6 with the Denso. If the car is rotating too much in the hairpins the easiest way to fix it is to make the front ride height lower, or raise the rear. This makes quite a drastic change in GT5 so only go one click at a time. To fine tune this effect ether soften the front spring or harden the rear, doesnt make as much difference as ride height but its good to trim the car slightly. Personally, the dampers and stabs dont do a whole lot haha, but I generally keep them in line with the springs. Softer rear / harder front = oversteer, soft front / hard rear = understeer.

But GT5 tuning is all ass-backwards and makes no sense at the best of times, I just do my best :lol:

Registered my Major Tom Special 👍
Going to be in the lobby for a while to give it a good test run.

I should be online again at about 8:40-8:45 Pacific.

Was great fun practicing with you fellas earlier 👍.

Quite a tough combo on tyres and also quite difficult to be consistent as it is still a bit of a Hit n Miss affair for those 3 - 4 tenths that can be gained in that fast S bend in sector 1.

I managed a 1'46.1 with the exact same setup as above and can see another .2 in a perfect world. Can't really see myself going much faster though, unless I magically figure out a shortcut or a drastic line change :lol:

Biggest concern at this stage is tyre wear.

Back