GTP WRS-Online : Event 37 : Blue Streak - May 23

• Thread starter Gravitron
  • 104 comments
mohitraina91
Will be lounging around 11 15 EST to 00 30 EST if anyone's interested in joining.

I plan to be in the lounge at about 11:30 est.

Joining the main lounge now... looks like there is already a croud in there! 👍

Here is my tune. I run last night 50 laps to test tires and max laps count and lap times. (Secret: i'm going for 1 pit stop).
15 / -5
11.5 / 13.0
5 / 6
5 / 6
4 / 5
2.0 / 1.2
0.00 / 0.00
10 / 15 / 10
15 / 40
BB 5/5
ABS 1
TCS 1

After testing i'm going to change downforce to 15/35-37 to get better rear wheel duration. Also i'm going to use BB 6/5.
That's my secret plan. If something goes wrong i'll chance it to 2 pit stop :)

Last edited:
That's my secret plan. If something goes wrong i'll chance it to 2 pit stop :)

Most people I know of are running two stoppers, so if you get this strategy right, you could have a really good race. Especially considering how hard it is to pass on track here.

Here is my tune from last night - felt pretty good overall:

LSD: 10/40/20

Suspension:
Ride height: -15/-20
Spring rate: 12.9/10.2
Dampers (extension): 7/5
Dampers (compression): 6/5
Anti-roll bars: 5/4
Camber angle: 1.0/2.0
Toe angle: -0.08/-0.02

Brake balance: 5/7

I read up on Ramon's tuning thread the other day and tried some of it on this event - ended up with these gears which probably need tweaking a bit before the race tonight:

1st gear: 3.139
2nd gear: 2.302
3rd gear: 1.936
4th gear: 1.522
5th gear: 1.255
6th gear: 1.168
Final gear: 3.513
Max speed: 200 km/h

I didn't feel much drafting in the practice session - I'll probably just lower the final gear a bit to get some more top speed out of 6th just in case the draft does make a difference.

Can't decide if I should go easy and turn in basic laps and shoot for a 1 pit race or do all out and go with 2 pits. With this combo I feel like "all out" usually leads to mistakes and add another pit to that and it just gets worse.

Anyway, good luck to everyone today! :cheers: And don't forget the oil change before the race - after last night I'm down to 592 HP again!

The draft is huge and unrealistic in GT5 even with the 'weak' setting on. In practise mode draft is turned off automatically.

Considering taking part today.
Do i have to put in this Event settings or are they coming from the host ?
To confirm racing without voice is possible ?

Would be great to have you racing with us 👍
The event will be setup by the host / marshall so you don't need to worry about the settings.
The marshall will also go through quali procedures and start instructions to be sure everyone understands the necessary details.
Mics are not required, so you can certainly race without one.

I second what Hydro said, it would be great to have you join us.

Show up a little early in the lounge to be sure you have time to work out any questions you may have. The lounge is usually open about an hour before the race for warm-ups and a steward will post to this thread when it's set up and ready for people to join.

The only thing you have to do once you join the lounge is make sure you have your own driving settings set to your preferences and you don't have to worry about track settings or regulations.

Things you can set in the lounge that apply only to yourself include:
  1. Car Setup (be sure to not use an offline tune -- see OP for links to online tunes)
  2. Driving Aids (Driving Line, ABS, TCS, etc.) Some aids are allowed (TCS | Driving Line | ABS) and you can set them however you please and some are disabled by the steward and thus forced to off (SRF, Active Steering, ASM)
  3. Tires (you cannot choose a softer compound based on room regulations set by the steward, but make sure you don't have a harder compound by accident).

I highly recommend asking any questions here as it's so much easier to type here in the forum and others may benefit from the answers.

PS> You will not see the PSN account GTP_3D3Racing as online (you won't see a yellow dot next to the lounge and this account won't show as online by PSN), but you can still enter the lounge and people will be in there once it's announced. We use this account only for the lounge and do not log in for racing events. A couple people have recently been confused by this so thought I'd just point that out.

PPS> Use of mics during the actual race is actually discouraged and for emergency use only (in theory). The mics are used quite heavily by the stewards during pre-race to help organize everything and then most of us mute mics during the race to avoid distractions from background noise etc. We use them quite often in the lounges during practice and they definitely make practice a lot more fun. So although mics are not required you may want to consider one for the future as it can enhance the experience and interaction with other drivers. That being said there are still quite a percent of drivers who never have or will use a mic and that's totally fine.

Last edited:
Thanks so far, will be there in time.
Whats the difference between online and offline setup ? My plan was to take the setup i used in the TT.

Thanks so far, will be there in time.
Whats the difference between online and offline setup ? My plan was to take the setup i used in the TT.

Physics are different online. Less grip.

The biggest difference is in ride heights...You can't use the same trick you use offline (minimum rear and max front). That will just make you spin.

Also the strategy is completely different so you can't use as loose a setup to begin with. Online rewards consistency and also tire management. Both are not really factors in a time trial where you can live on a knifes edge and just reset the lap if you mess up. Do that in the online race and you will end up with damage every third lap... that won't be offset by the 4-5 tenths you go faster each lap.

So basically you want a more conservative setup online and you want to take an approach that will allow you to complete 33 race laps with consistency and minimal issues (spins, crashes). Also remember you'll be driving in traffic so you want more control at the price of a little less pace. Playing nice with the neighbors is more important to us than pace or lap time and you can't do that with an overly twitchy setup.

PS> I'm running this Praiano setup which works well online, but I modified the transmissions to match what I ran in the time trial and is from Joao:

Final Far Right
Top Speed Far Left

Set These

3139 (I could only get to 3140?)

Final = 3650

If you use the rest of Joao's setup it's a bit too nervous to be safe in an online race.

Last edited:
Main lounge is open for pre-race warm ups. Come and get it.

Is the EU open for spectating?

Yes, we are only at 11 confirmed and even with all reserves there are a couple open slots so feel free to come and watch. We'll allow two observers only and you must be in the lounge prior to qualifying which starts at the top of the hour.

If for some reason the lounge fills up to 16 we'll check the thread for guys who want to race that might be locked out... but I don't see that happening this week.

Good race everyone! Congrats to Wes for the win.
Was big fun racing with you guys for the first time.
I hope to be more competitive next race.
I don´t know how you guys can race with such a pace and don´t mess up :)
really impressed.

See you in the next race :)

230512.png

:

not in this decade:),I am at least 3 till 4 sec. Off pace.

But I enjoy the race bigtime.:)

Good racing with you Sjaak.

I didn't plan to be behind you in the first stint, but after my bobble "post jump" I saw you coming fast and figured I'd let you by... Twissy was right on your tail and there was no point holding him up so I went wide to let him though. Al got in there too right on Twissy's bumper (legally) for good measure and the next think I knew I'm in 6th place.

Got by Al in the roundabout with a rather risky inside pass, thank you Al, I know you could have stopped me there, very gentlemanly to let me through without a big fuss. Probably would have been a mess (and my fault) had you held the pedal to the metal.

I quickly caught Sjaak... but in 10 laps had no opportunity for a safe pass and Sjaak kept it on the track so left no opening. I tried everything from backing off to make a run, to diving into the last corner hoping to sniff the draft. Nothing worked... at the end of the straight I was right there with no room to make a safe pass... Finally I watched Sjaak after race lap 10 on the final corner and it looked like he approached the corner as if doing another lap (rather than going wide into pits) so I decided to change my strategy on the fly and short pit.... slowed and went wide to dive in and then he dove on pit lane in front of me... chagrined I made another quick change of plans and I dove back on the track and did another lap. Pushed the worn tires as hard as I could and pitted next lap and sure enough Sjaak was a bumper ahead of me on exit... but this time Sjaak bobbled just a bit in turn 2/3 and I wasn't waiting and went through.

From there to the end it got lonely. Looking at the splits from lap 13 to the end I was a bit off the pace of gooners anyway so probably very unlikely I ever had a chance at a podium... 4th was about as good as it was going to get today.

PS> That quali session was as chaotic as any I remember. There must have been 6 disconnects at least and discussion going on about what to do... I'm sure some of the blame for Twissy's quali goes to all the distractions. I'm just glad that when the race started everything seemed to work out fine connection-wise. It looks like once I was room host everything settled a bit (or it was coincidence). What's weird is Speedy usually has a rock solid connection, but was constantly disconnecting during quali...

Had to drop to reserve for NA as I'm not sure I'll make it home in time, but am trying like hell. I'll try to PM Tim and Marc to let them know. That takes the confirmed count down to 5:ouch:, but hopefully another reserve can make it, as well as ME!

Thanks for the race, was my first online race ever. Therefore mainpoint was handling the race and do not interfere the fast guys.
Was fun, even with my performance. Next time i should start on tires which hold a bit longer.
Was not my last race here, enjoy the community very much with you.
And it can´t be worser in regard to the result ^^

Thanks for the race, was my first online race ever. Therefore mainpoint was handling the race and do not interfere the fast guys.
Was fun, even with my performance. Next time i should start on tires which hold a bit longer.
Was not my last race here, enjoy the community very much with you.
And it can´t be worser in regard to the result ^^

Give yourself time to adjust to online vs. offline physics. Online is tougher.
Not to mention you were in some pretty fast company.
Great to see you made it 👍 Welcome to the series :cheers:

Enjoyed getting back to online racing tonight! :cheers:

Congrats to Tim for the overall win and the other 3D3 teammates for the podium spots. 👍

Enjoyed getting back to online racing tonight! :cheers:

Congrats to Tim for the overall win and the other 3D3 teammates for the podium spots. 👍

Thanks Lin... Yup, it's been since GT5 Online week #1 about 9 months ago that the 3D3 team last took a 1-2-3 in a race. I'm sure you would have rather break up the party though. :sly:

Anyway here are the results:

event37_res_na.png

My race was relatively uneventful... I pushed pretty much every lap as I had a pretty good idea that I could last 11 lap stints. I had one small off in the first stint going long and brushing a guard rail without damage. And then a pretty major crash in the final lap when I caught my left rear tire on the rumble approaching the roundabout and spun into the inside wall causing damage. Glad I had built a good gap otherwise that would have been an epic choke.

Looking forward to Al's pics and Monaco next week.

Had a great time racing today! I am going to miss Monaco next week due to work. Very disappointed, I have been waiting to race there. Oh well maybe 3D3 will go back there in another 6 months! :indiff:

Here are the E/U pictures, I am going to bed so N/A will have to wait till tomorrow.

Al

CapeRingPeriphery_22.jpg

CapeRingPeriphery_24.jpg

CapeRingPeriphery_25.jpg

CapeRingPeriphery_27.jpg

CapeRingPeriphery_30.jpg

CapeRingPeriphery_32.jpg

CapeRingPeriphery_39.jpg

CapeRingPeriphery_42.jpg

CapeRingPeriphery_43.jpg

CapeRingPeriphery_3.jpg

CapeRingPeriphery_9.jpg