GTP WRS-Online : Event 45 : Tricky Little B*%#+ ! - July 18

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 87 comments
Congrats on the overall win Shawn, Mohit and Wes for the Podiumspots.
I missed it by a hair...

92022441.jpg
56205736.jpg

Keeping tradition on firsttime winners, here's the national anthem of America!

Ha ha, fighting anthems :D
Congrats on the win Shawn, tough event to pull off what you did today :cheers:
Reverse grids are never easy., especially in sprint races.

Shouldn't one be God Bless America then?

Why did I post that? :lol:

After doing these sprints with the reversed grids we were thinking of doing a full feature race of 50-60 (still TBD) laps with 1 or 2 required pits (TBD aswell) on Saturday.

Normally the Sat events start at 20:00 GMT but I could make 21:00 or even 21:30 GMT if that opens it up a bit more for US'ers and Aussies.

Please post if/when you're interested and the time which works best.

3 very enjoyable races for me in the EU slot. There's a nice feeling driving so close to somebody for the majority of the race. I hit a couple walls here and there, Christophe seemed to be behind me for all of them, sorry :sly: Though I think it only affected you on one occasion.

Well done to Wes for the overall win for EU, you're in a league of your own 👍

I'd probably be able to race on Saturday. 50/60 laps of close racing sounds intense :crazy:

3 very enjoyable races for me in the EU slot. There's a nice feeling driving so close to somebody for the majority of the race. I hit a couple walls here and there, Christophe seemed to be behind me for all of them, sorry :sly: Though I think it only affected you on one occasion.
No worries Mike, I did the same for some others too. :dopey:
I'd probably be able to race on Saturday. 50/60 laps of close racing sounds intense :crazy:
👍 Do all the proposed times work for you?

Thanks for the race last night. I had a lot of fun! Sorry to hold everyone up on the reversed grid. I hope I didn't cause too many problems. It was tough to see cars in the mirrors, so my d-pad got a workout looking around at who was getting ready to overtake.

I have a question for you all if you have a second. In the second race on lap 8 there was a faster car to the outside going into the chicane. I'm afraid I'm not sure who it was or I'd apologize for messing them up. I tried to leave room for the faster car, but the chicane was too narrow. I suppose I should have backed out instead of trying to hold my position. I think (I haven't seen the replay) I must have hit the inside wall on the left-hander, then bounced off of him and plowed into the wall on the exit of the right-hander. At that point I was basically stopped, so I just waited for those behind to pass before I got going, but I was on the racing line. Everyone passed within a couple of seconds, and I thought moving would have been worse, but I was on the racing line around a blind corner. Could someone who saw the replay give me a better idea of what I should have done? Sorry if that ruined anyone's race.

I'm looking forward to racing some more of these (if you'll have me). I need to find some more slower guys to join. I certainly have a lot to learn.

I have a question for you all if you have a second. In the second race on lap 8 there was a faster car to the outside going into the chicane. I'm afraid I'm not sure who it was or I'd apologize for messing them up. I tried to leave room for the faster car, but the chicane was too narrow. I suppose I should have backed out instead of trying to hold my position. I think (I haven't seen the replay) I must have hit the inside wall on the left-hander, then bounced off of him and plowed into the wall on the exit of the right-hander. At that point I was basically stopped, so I just waited for those behind to pass before I got going, but I was on the racing line. Everyone passed within a couple of seconds, and I thought moving would have been worse, but I was on the racing line around a blind corner. Could someone who saw the replay give me a better idea of what I should have done? Sorry if that ruined anyone's race.

I remember that. I was one of the last cars to get by.

Haven't seen the replay yet but going forward on your explanation I think you did nothing wrong trying to hold your position.

I must say this was a bit of a wrong combo to come in as a less fast driver for the first time.
Starting on pole for the second race with all those bloodthursty wolfs behind you must have been nerve wracking like hell. :scared::crazy:

Most important thing now is to not be discouraged to join again and learn from the others. :)

Sorry I was a no show last night. I thought I'd get home by 5pm but got stuck in Illinois and didn't walk through the door until 9:10.

Have to try some other time.

After doing these sprints with the reversed grids we were thinking of doing a full feature race of 50-60 (still TBD) laps with 1 or 2 required pits (TBD aswell) on Saturday.

Normally the Sat events start at 20:00 GMT but I could make 21:00 or even 21:30 GMT if that opens it up a bit more for US'ers and Aussies.

I'm tempted to take part, although the earlier the better for me.

One thing though ... I would like to suggest not making the pitstops mandatory. My reasoning is this: I think we all know that you can go 60 laps with 2 pitstops after yesterday. It is much less obvious though, if 1 pitstop might be possible (probably) or maybe even faster (maybe, maybe not). Maybe 3 pitstops is good, too (since you don't lose that much time due to lack of refuelling). But shouldn't that be up to the drivers to decide? I think the variety of strategies gives a longer race that little bit extra. Why take it away through 2 mandatory ones which will make everyone pit at lap 20 and 40 (because that's the fastest possible strategy) and won't add much to the progress of the race?

I'm tempted to take part, although the earlier the better for me.

One thing though ... I would like to suggest not making the pitstops mandatory. My reasoning is this: I think we all know that you can go 60 laps with 2 pitstops after yesterday. It is much less obvious though, if 1 pitstop might be possible (probably) or maybe even faster (maybe, maybe not). Maybe 3 pitstops is good, too (since you don't lose that much time due to lack of refuelling). But shouldn't that be up to the drivers to decide? I think the variety of strategies gives a longer race that little bit extra. Why take it away through 2 mandatory ones which will make everyone pit at lap 20 and 40 (because that's the fastest possible strategy) and won't add much to the progress of the race?

When we add mandatory pit stops it's to add a bit of race strategy to the event. On tracks like this where passing is very difficult between evenly paced drivers it makes for a much more entertaining race.
It really has nothing to do with tire wear at all. The pit stops also will have 'pit windows' to prevent drivers from pitting on the first, or last few laps to 'just get them out of the way'. So it's about race strategy, not tire wear.
We have used this setup in the past, and I think you'll find that the race really benefits from the setup.

When we add mandatory pit stops it's to add a bit of race strategy to the event. On tracks like this where passing is very difficult between evenly paced drivers it makes for a much more entertaining race.
It really has nothing to do with tire wear at all. The pit stops also will have 'pit windows' to prevent drivers from pitting on the first, or last few laps to 'just get them out of the way'. So it's about race strategy, not tire wear.
We have used this setup in the past, and I think you'll find that the race really benefits from the setup.

Ok, we have a different opinion on this one. I think strategy is intrinsically linked to tire wear (not that I'm particularly good or bad in that department). As I said, you will get the most out of the tires when you make all stints the same length. Now, if you are stuck behind someone and can't get past, you are not really THAT much faster (and I didn't have the feeling in our races last night that getting past was really the problem, even if 2 people had the same speed - it would sometimes go back and forth for laps). So, by coming in early and giving away some of the theoretically optimal tire performance, you will lose at least some of that again. And because your opponent has to come in roughly at the same time also, you might get past, you might not. But that's more down to luck than strategy.

Then again, if you could instead decide to save tires and just follow and maybe pit only once ... theeeen strategy comes into play. And you also get phases where the two-stoppers are on better tires trying to make up the additional time from the pitstop, but still have to get through traffic, etc.

On the other hand, if you want to take tire degradation out of the equation, you basically enable everyone to drive at more or less the same level for 60 laps, interrupted by 2 stops, which will do little in terms of enabling someone with a clever strategy to come out on top of the faster driver on one lap.

I just love strategy. :)

I think what Speedy meant here was just making pitting at least once mandatory. 1 or 2 or 3 or 4, that's entirely up to you.

Is it just me that would prefer 3 x 15 laps again?

I can potentially make all three time slots, though later would increase my chances.

Sometimes if you get stuck behind another driver, pitting early could be beneficial if you get back out on track in clean air. With no one hindering your progress you can gain time on other drivers.

Sometimes if you get stuck behind another driver, pitting early could be beneficial if you get back out on track in clean air. With no one hindering your progress you can gain time on other drivers.

Of course that's possible. I don't deny that. But by no means more freedom in terms of pit-strategy is taking away from that. Quite on the contrary. All I'm saying is, if the pitstops are a) mandatory in number, and b) the number of pitstops is so high that the tires will never really deteriorate during a stint, it takes away from the strategy of endurance races, which 60 laps in these cars can already be called. It becomes a sprint race with gratuitous passing opportunities.

If the guy in front of you is saving tires, but you just can't get past, sure, make a pitstop and you can drive the wheels off your car. Say the extra pitstop will cost you 20 seconds. You just need to make that up in 60 laps, so that's just .33 you have to make up every lap (with fresher tires). So, let there be choice!

I just love strategy. :)

I agree with you and 90% of our events include completely open pit strategy and one long race. Personally, I enjoy that format the most [by far], but we also like variety and realize that there are different strokes for different 'folks so we change it up. Saturday races, which are unofficial, are always a good chance to change it up. In fact we test some odd formats from time to time that turn out to be fun (see the attack format).

In any case, don't worry, if you stick around for a while you'll get your fill of long races with open pit strategy. An it's uncanny how often those strategies converge in the final lap or two which is really cool to watch and even better to be a part of when it's coming down to the wire. Actually, it's not really coincidence as we often pick lap counts that lend themselves to this situation within our time slot parameters.

I really enjoyed the 3X15 format this event had. It made things interesting and the only way to be safe with the position you were in was to get enough of a gap so no one could draft off of you, or hope the guys behind are battling it out. Of course, the other way to be safe in your position on track was if everyone was in a line and no mistakes were being made as it's impossible to pass the guy ahead if everyone is in the draft.

Ok, so I have

• 2 votes for the later (21:30GMT) timeslot.
  • 1 vote for the earlier (20:00GMT) timeslot.
  • 2 votes for 3x15 again.

As for time slot, I'll go in between to compromise the two votes. Say 21:00 GMT.

As for race type, we'll have another vote in the lounge with whoever's in the lounge at racetime.

I should be up for 2100, but my sleep has been woeful this week, so don't wait around :guilty:

Man! Those were some close races! 👍
Sorry you kept DC'ing and had to miss this Mike.

Congrats James on the dominating win!

21_07_12.png

Tricky Little B*%#+ ! EU Results Update:

After receiving an incident review request of Lap 4, Race 1 in the Tricky Little B*%#+ ! EU race the OLR Admins have made the following Ruling:

On the lap in question, Allibubba and Gooners entered the tunnel and proceeded throught the turn in a side-by-side fashion. Gooners turned in too sharply, cutting across Al's line striking Al's car. The contact caused Al's car to turn into the wall and caused a secondary collision between Al and Jtv. Gooners then failed to reconcile the situation as per the OLR when he didn't wait for the affected drivers to recover and rejoin the race in appropriate order as per Item 7 of the OLR:
OLR
07: Contact Concessions:

A:
If there’s contact between drivers that results in the guilty driver making up places on the innocent driver, the guilty driver should immediately allow the innocent driver to pass freely to re-establish their position. This rule should be observed, even if it means the guilty driver has to allow drivers not involved in the incident to pass while waiting for the driver they contacted.

B:
If the appropriate contact concession is carried out by the guilty driver then they may avoid or reduce the severity of any penalties that might otherwise apply.

C:
If the appropriate contact concession is not carried out by the guilty party then the usual penalties would apply.

D:
If you have to slow down to let the other player through, move out of the racing line first before you slow down. Coming to a full stop is not allowed, just continue at a lower pace until the other driver passes you again.

After reviewing the incident the decision has been made by the WRS Online Events Admins to add a 16 second penalty (8 seconds for the approximate time gap between the drivers following the completed lap, X 2) to Gooners finish time in the race.
This penalty drops Gooners from 5th to 10th in the race, and creates a 3 way tie for 3rd in the overall standings.

The Results have been updated to reflect these changes.

TLBre-do2x8penaltyforgooners.png

Back