GTP WRS-Online : Event 62 : Super (GT) Suzuka - November 14

• Thread starter Speedy6543
  • 53 comments
I'm abit tired but don't want to mis this one. After finishing my peukie i'm on my way. See you in a bit

Congratz Mohit on the win and Dennis for the final podium spot. Wes had us all covered easily until his DC.

event62_res_eu.png

Nice drive through the field for R3CKET to come from last to fourth. He was in position to battle for the final couple podium spots before a few late incidents.

I had a fairly steady race with no offs or major bobbles (unusual for me at Suzuka). I had more pace the first half, but had a hard time getting by gooners. Then he short pitted and came out with a little gap and Dennis and I battled a few laps letting Mohit get a 3 second lead. That's pretty much where it stayed for the final 10 laps. I'd shave of a couple tenths one lap and give them back the next.

PS> Really sweet array of flags there. 👍

Thanks for directing the race, Tim, and nice race you had there. 👍

Congrats Wes (on your presumed win), Mohit, Tim, and Dennis! :cheers:

To everyone who had to avoid my antics on track...I'm sorry. :ouch:
I punted Jon early, although he said he braked too early, I should have avoided him.
I came back on track after making a sweet sandcastle at Spoon, right in front of Jammy. :guilty:
And in the heat of the battle at the rear with Daniel, I made a pretty questionable pass before the hairpin and lost it. Had a great time with that battle though, nice driving, Daniel. 👍

I really like this track, but both this race and the F1 race here have seen some horrible driving from me. Just rusty, I guess.

Nice driving everybody 👍
Had an awful first stint, fortunatly I ran then into Lucas and had a great battle, well done! Congrats to the podium.

Hope we get enough drivers for the NA event. :scared: I think Wes said he might make it so hopefully we'll have at least 6-7. If you are on the fence... go for it!

I'm finished with a video for the EU race... again, not much editing so not much work put into it, but waiting for the encoding (50 minutes) and youtube upload (??).

I'm going to be AFK until about 45 minutes before the race so I got the lounge open early for pre-race practice. Looks like robiker already hopped in. 👍

Here's a highlight video of the EU race (first half):

Last edited:
I woke up 1 hour and 15 minutes late.

What a race !!!
Qualified first, lost it at the first corner (got to work on my race starts:ouch:) and on the same lap, spun at 130R, (totally hate that outside rumble strip:grumpy:) and did the same at lap 7.

From there, I've played catch up which is really fun and challenging.
First stint was forgettable but the second one was awesome. Slowly reducing my 15 seconds separating me and Mohit & tim battling together until I caught Tim's draft on the last lap to spin out (again:ouch:) at turn one.

But still I had a lot of fun tonight. Well deserved win Tim :cheers:

Here are the results:

event62_res_na.png

Thanks Yannik. Frankly, I was lucky with others' mistakes and minimized my own. My only mess up was entering the pits I tapped the wall and nearly crashed... slowed me way down before AI took over and cost me maybe 2-3 seconds. Then Mohit collected me when he spun in 1/2 and I came to a complete stop on track. Nothing he could do as he spun in front and then was sideways in the road. That allowed the whole lot of you to get a lot closer.

Late in the race after Mohit crashed in 2nd and you took over that position you were gaining at between 0.5 and 1.0 seconds per lap with about 4 to go and I had a 3 second lead. My tires were failing and I kept out breaking myself in the final chicane. Finally you got within 0.997 at the line on the last lap and reached my draft and were probably under 0.5 behind heading into turn 1 when you went wide. Dirty air got you. Not sure I could have held you off for that one lap, but I certainly would have tried hard. After you went off my blood pressure dropped to a safe level and I backed off completely for the rest of the lap and just brought it home safe.

Finally got my first win for Year 2.

PS> Yannik nipped me for fast lap by 0.040.

Weird thing, I wasn't see the lead you had on me on the last three laps or so. But seeing your name getting clearer and clearer over your car was motivating me. :P
I noticed that you two had something happening in front when I saw the gap dropping from 15 to 9 seconds. My smile got bigger, I was like a predator getting closer to its pray. :sly:

Hahaha your blood pressure. :lol:

Weird thing, I wasn't see the lead you had on me on the last three laps or so. But seeing your name getting clearer and clearer over your car was motivating me. :P
I noticed that you two had something happening in front when I saw the gap dropping from 15 to 9 seconds. My smile got bigger, I was like a predator getting closer to its pray. :sly:

Hahaha your blood pressure. :lol:

Yah, the system not showing you a gap sometimes is new as of the 2.08 update. It appears when the gap drops below a certain level they stop showing it. I guess because you can see the guy and don't need it? Not sure, but I wish they would have left it. The leader always sees it, but the guy trailing doesn't. I assume it's a bug really.

For Dennis, here are the combined results:

event62_res_combined.png

Here's a highlight video of the EU race (first half):

Thank you for making that vid, Tim. 👍

Great battle between you and Mohit toward the end. And a bit of you in 1st place after Wes' DC.

Just ignore the part around 7min where you're focused on me. 👎 Ugh.

Had an overall rather disappointing start in the EU race. First I blew my qualifying, had a huge slide into second part of Degner and yet that was the lap I ended up with after going off in Spoon in my second lap. Might have cost me 2 positions or so for the start.

So, started in 7th, had a decent run through the esses only to go off in the long uphill left-hander probably because of the unexpected understeer following the other cars. When I rejoined in last spot (11th), my race was basically done. I was something like 17 seconds behind, so I thought I'd just try to go steady and see what happens over the course of the race.

After a couple of laps some other people ran into trouble so I managed to pick up a couple of spots. That swept me up to 7th. I saw that the distance to the leaders didn't really grow much (at least not after Wes dc'd), so I thought I was on a decent pace. Towards the end of the first stint I was then approaching Speedy (was about 2-3 seconds behind), and because overtaking is not all that easy at Suzuka, I pitted a little earlier than planned after lap 12 to try to gain the time to leapfrog past him on new tyres.

That worked perfectly, and I ended up with about the same 17 seconds behind the leaders like in the very beginning. I knew I wouldn't catch anyone else, if it wasn't for their mistakes (the 4 of them were tightly packed in front), so I drove a steady race. I think 4 laps from the end Rocket had made some error and we fought from then on basically to the checkered flag. Both our tyres were not in the best of conditions anymore, because we both had pitted early (him even earlier than me), but it was a nice fight nonetheless, with only 0.072 separating us at the line.

Coming in 5th was an ok-result in the end, although I regret having made that lap 1-mistake. I feel I could have joined the fight in the lead. Well, next time then.

Sorry for not being there in the NA Race guys. Had a bit of a hectic night after the race.

I can see from this that it would have been fun also to have Dennis (Roomboter) and Yannik (Worst_Driver) in the same race. They were both quite a bit faster than their results show because of a couple mistakes. Not to mention Bernie (SnowCrash) who was almost exactly at the pace of Mohit and I.

At first this car's "push" really turned me off, but after really getting a handle on the lines and when to "gas it" the car was enjoyable to race. Real tough to make a pass though:
  • I made a pass or two after 130R after the driver in front went wide (off track) and had to lift which ended up in a drag race to the braking zone for the chicane and the the guy returning from off track had to yield (and they did).
  • Made only a single passes leading up to 130R as it was nearly impossible to pull that off safely. Quite a few times I had a run, but backed off as it was too dangerous. The only pass I made there Mohit got a bad exit from Spoon and I cleared his car well early... and still there was some contact as I tried to stay inside (braked) on the apex and Mohit was thinking I was going to go wide and tried the over under. We bumped, but there was no damage or incident. That is a really dangerous place to pass.
  • Made one crazy pass on the outside of the hairpin on Pekka. He was on a no stop strategy (I think the table is wrong above in that regard). He had worn tires and Mohit and I were *much* faster, but you know how hard Pekka is to pass for position. He defended all the way for a lap and well into the 2nd lap before I decided to get aggressive. I got side by side with him on the kink after Degner 2 and went deep into the braking zone on the outside of the hairpiin hoping I could get back to the gas quicker than him even going the long way around and it worked. A bit risky, but Mohit was breathing down my neck at the time having made up a 2 second gap while I was behind Pekka and I couldn't wait any longer. The hairpin pass was OK, but going side by side into the "kink" was a bit too much aggression for my taste. I would have been at fault had there been contact and an incident.
  • The best passing zone was leading into turn 1 and that required a slight bobble or bad exit from the chicane by the lead driver... still I probably made 4-5 passes in that area between the two races and all were pretty safe and clean.

I'm notorious for *always* screwing up races at Suzuka. These might be the first two races here I manage to stay out of the sand and clean the entire race. I've always loved this track, but it seemed to hate me until yesterday 👍

I'd love to run the Saturday races this week, but Soccer is going to dominate my day... although rain is in the forecast so if they are going to be held I'll be on reserve. Speedy -- you are away right? If so, can someone else direct the Saturday races?

If there's no interest in rerunning this Saturday we can turn it over to the next enduro and maybe do some organized practice / races /etc.

PS> Look at all the D2 drivers in the table above! I thought that odd until I realized that most of us started somewhere else and all this online racing seems to bunch us all up in D2. Getting to D1 is a real leap though. I would imagine in a few months a few of those D3 slots are going to be D2 as well. We'll need some new D3 and D4 and D5 blood to fill in the ranks. Hopefully that's where the academy comes in. 👍

Cool idea with combined results, Tim.

I'm curious, did you adjust for the possible difference in formation lap time? I've sometimes tried to look at the results this way, but always wonder howmuch that's affecting it.

EDK
Cool idea with combined results, Tim.

I'm curious, did you adjust for the possible difference in formation lap time? I've sometimes tried to look at the results this way, but always wonder howmuch that's affecting it.

It was Dennis' idea for the combined results and it's neat, but obviously has it's limitations as discussed in that thread so they are just posted for fun/information purposes. At the moment I wasn't planning to copy to the historical thread and just append them to the event threads after both results are official.

And yes, we *always* adjust our official race times for formation laps. We take the total time of the race and subtract the pole sitters lap 1 (formation lap) time and that's what always is reported in our results. 👍 It's a good thing too, because in the NA race we sat parked for a while to diagnose the invisible driver issue with robiker and the formation lap was almost 5 minutes. :lol:

Last edited:
I'd love to run the Saturday races this week, but Soccer is going to dominate my day... although rain is in the forecast so if they are going to be held I'll be on reserve. Speedy -- you are away right? If so, can someone else direct the Saturday races?

This Saturday I'm still at home. It's Monday early morning I leave, at 04:30 :ill:.
I'll set up the Saturday Thread and open the sign ups ASAP.

I was really struggling to keep the car under control while i was in dirty air, the car became unstable in dirty air. I was battling myself more then the competition. The mistakes also didn't help my lap times :lol: A complete 360 in turn 1 cost me second place and i never was able to fight back cos i was fighting the car. Another mistake in Spoon after the pitstops dropped me back behind Rock3t who was on roll. He pitted much earlier and was on fresh rubber, overtoke him on the outside in turn 1 the lap after. Fortunately i could create a gape and was in clean air. Next mission was to catch up with Tim, who was about 12 second in front of me but with about 9 laps to go and gaining only a couple of tenths a lap, i knew it was a mission impossible. So i decided to settle for P3 and tried to do a consistence pace without the guys behind me would catch. Luckily i succeed.

Very well drive from Mohit and Tim 👍

Shame Wes DC'd. Wanted to know how he would have humiliated the rest of us :lol:

Nice video Time. Enjoyed watching it. Except the reminder of my 360 spin in turn 1. That was visual in a distance with alot of dust. Mohit and you must have used your wipers to clear your windows :lol:

Nice to see the combined results Tim 👍

Thanks for racing again guys :cheers:

Back