GTP WRS-Online : Event 81 : Everybody's Golf - March 27

• Thread starter Gravitron
  • 104 comments
Lap 31/32 coming out of the last chicane, when suddenly, the phone rings. I think nothing of it. My brother knows I'm racing so he goes to answer. Upon answering, I hear two beeps; the first is him pressing the talk button, the other comes from GT5 telling me I've been disconnected.
The phone cut out my internet for a short time, but long enough for me to retire from the race. 👎

In other news, looking forward to tonight, hope I can actually finish this one :)

Edit: Can someone send me their replay please? I would love to get some nice shots. Thanks in advance

I can post my NTSC replay of the EU race tonight.

We are starting qualification for NA in about 3 minutes... if you join late, but before we start the race you can still race and start from the back... won't be too bad to start in back as we'll only be 8 if you show up.

That was by far the most fun I've ever had racing. My 2 stop strat was working great till strobe passed me near the end. Great time though. Congrats again JTV and Al for your first podium.

Also, I hope there's a pic of me taking out the barrier....unavoidable but hilarious :-)

I never got my car where I wanted it while tuning, made a couple last second changes hoping for the best, didn't set my transmission high enough to take advantage of drafting and was hitting the rev limiter before the braking point on the main straight without drafting. Started in sixth, dropped to eighth (last place,) got up as far as fourth during leader pit stops, and finished in fifth due only to using a single pit stop strategy (21 or 22 laps before pitting.) Hopefully I'll learn from my mistakes and try to make the most of it on Saturday. And I forgot to save my replay so I can't even enter the pic contest. :(

This was definitely not my best showing and I even considered just quitting to get out of everyone's way. But I started to make headway and have a little bit of fun once I stopped kicking myself for screwing up my tune. Grats to WRP, JTV, and Ali for their podium finishes.

Sark

Last edited:
I'll be posting an NTSC replay shortly if you want to download/import it... and enter the pic contest.

That was by far the most fun I've ever had racing. My 2 stop strat was working great till strobe passed me near the end. Great time though. Congrats again JTV and Al for your first podium.

Also, I hope there's a pic of me taking out the barrier....unavoidable but hilarious :-)

Sorry about that, I was going for the no stop strategy until I figured out where the pit lane was :-) Thanks for the chance to do a bit of close up racing, I'm normally so far behind I drive solo most of the race.

And it's Strop mate, not strobe ... (an in joke for Aussie's born before 1970).

Here are those NTSC replays. I'll leave them online for 48 hours.

EU_Replay_NTSC.zip

NA_Replay_NTSC.zip

Those of you who don't have the replay can use these to generate pics for the "Picture of the Week Contest" which starts now and you have 48 hours to submit your pics before the voting window opens.

Sorry about that, I was going for the no stop strategy until I figured out where the pit lane was :-) Thanks for the chance to do a bit of close up racing, I'm normally so far behind I drive solo most of the race.

And it's Strop mate, not strobe ... (an in joke for Aussie's born before 1970).

oops. sorry about that. :crazy:

I never got my car where I wanted it while tuning, made a couple last second changes hoping for the best, didn't set my transmission high enough to take advantage of drafting and was hitting the rev limiter before the braking point on the main straight without drafting. Started in sixth, dropped to eighth (last place,) got up as far as fourth during leader pit stops, and finished in fifth due only to using a single pit stop strategy (21 or 22 laps before pitting.) Hopefully I'll learn from my mistakes and try to make the most of it on Saturday. And I forgot to save my replay so I can't even enter the pic contest. :(

This was definitely not my best showing and I even considered just quitting to get out of everyone's way. But I started to make headway and have a little bit of fun once I stopped kicking myself for screwing up my tune. Grats to WRP, JTV, and Ali for their podium finishes.

Sark

Don't get down on yourself Sark. I may have made it more than a little difficult to pass me taking your chances at podium away but your an awesome racer. Even with a "so so" tune as you may of had. You'll be more than a handful on Saturday. Looking forward to a rematch :dopey:

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an awesome day of racing. I participated in both events and had some great battles! Thanks to everyone again for being so clean and respectful! It keeps me coming back for more!!!!

Here are my submission for this weeks photo contest.

Al

They just kept getting harder to see lap after lap!!! Allibubba-01
NuumlrburgringGP_Dcopy_zps0a0a9175.jpg

Twissy and WRP battle in the E/U race. Allibubba-02
NuumlrburgringGP_D_5copy_zps34aa1a11.jpg

OINK drifting the corner!!!! Allibubba99-03
NuumlrburgringGP_D_9copy_zpse545a2c0.jpg

Nice Pics Al. I'll get them copied over to the post on page 1 shortly.

Here's a replay of the battle between JTV and I over the last 9 laps of the race.

*Before you watch it note that there is a severe punt on the last lap which put me in the sand. This video was produced using my replay. However, JTV has captured the same point in the race and his replay shows no contact and in fact 5-6 feet between cars at that point. So unfortunately this was a case of a lag punt... We have have proof in JTV's replay that he didn't make contact so unfortunately I'm the victim of a connection issue... similar to a DC in a way, but instead of losing everything at least I got a podium finish. Really, both of us were cheated because it was going to be a photo finish and come down to that last chicane... Personally, I had the inside line and I think the odds were in my favor :sly:... but we'll never know... anything could have happened.

Great race JTV and well deserved win! 👍

Basically, we played cat and mouse for almost the entire race. For the first couple laps I pushed to see if I could drop JTV and realized it was a pointless strategy and would only lead to excessive tire wear. So I just settled down to see what he would do and react to that. It was obvious right away he had adopted my EU race strategy where I just stuck behind Tidgney and saved tires without any thought of passing... I wasn't going to push in that scenario and tug JTV around at top speed so I picked a target lap time of 1'41.9 and just shot for that every lap without going under. Parity racing on Wednesday. :lol:

Basically that continued for the entire first stint. When it came time to pit I thought about short pitting, but on lap 16 I was in front and knew JTV would probably just follow me... and he's usually a bit better on tires so I decided to just split the race even and see what happened. I then realized his pit box was in front of mine (and so did he obviously)... so we had quite a battle on the last chicane before pitting to see who would go first... if he was behind, he'd likely get held up in the pits and it might be my break away opportunity... well he was more desperate in the chicane and I had to give way and he went into the pits first... I made up my mind there that in the final lap I wasn't going to give in inch. :sly:

So the 2nd stint was a repeat of the first... for the most part. But we started thinking about the end game more. A few times I feigned like I was going to push really hard to see how he'd react. He didn't take the hook and basically just saved tires and caught up on the straights. A couple times I fell back just a little to see if he'd push from the front with the same outcome... I was confident in my pace to be honest and that I could close a minor gap even without draft. He wasn't moving. I noticed him doing the same thing to me. Cat and mouse.

Then came the final 5 laps. I said to myself forget this... I'm not going to leave it all to that final chicane where anything can happen and I just started to push as hard as I could. So did JTV... We turned up the aggression and took a pass anytime there was room to do it cleanly... It was all going to come down to the final chicane and there was nothing we could do about it... or it would have had it not been for that pesky lag. 👎

It was definitely the most "unique" race I've been a part of in this series. :lol:

Great day/night of racing. :gtpflag:

Official NA results:
event81_res_na.png

Combined results for comparison:
event81_res_combined.png

Last edited:
Sorry for leaving out of the EU lobby at the end. Had just a completely awful race :(

Qualified where I wanted to be, but a couple of incidents (which I don't think were my fault :scared:) had me sent to the back and battling to get anywhere further up.

Pretty disappointing to get a race like that after putting in a couple days practice (which work doesn't normally allow me) and getting a pace I was happy with. No worries though, there's always next week, hopefully have some better luck. 👍

Sorry for leaving out of the EU lobby at the end. Had just a completely awful race :(

Qualified where I wanted to be, but a couple of incidents (which I don't think were my fault :scared:) had me sent to the back and battling to get anywhere further up.

Pretty disappointing to get a race like that after putting in a couple days practice (which work doesn't normally allow me) and getting a pace I was happy with. No worries though, there's always next week, hopefully have some better luck. 👍

Figured you were not happy when you left the lounge so fast. Sorry about your troubles. You can hang your hat on that super awesome fun practice race we had on Tuesday though. :dopey: You were impossible to shake.

All that practice is never a waste... you can always transfer the knowledge/skill to a future week. Plus practice is fun, or it should be, when practice is a chore it's time to take a break. Seriously though, in about 1/3 of events the highlight for me are the practice and moving along the learning curve. Sometimes the race trumps it all and sometimes it leaves a bad taste in your mouth... I would imagine just like real racing.

See the lag punt situation above. Two days of practice and 55 minutes of battling to have it decided by lag... Oh well, the journey was darn fun even if the final destination was not what I was hoping. :lol:

All that practice is never a waste... you can always transfer the knowledge/skill to a future week. Plus practice is fun, or it should be, when practice is a chore it's time to take a break. Seriously though, in about 1/3 of events the highlight for me are the practice and moving along the learning curve. Sometimes the race trumps it all and sometimes it leaves a bad taste in your mouth... I would imagine just like real racing.

Yeh, I fully agree. Had great fun prepping for the race. That 4 way practice race was a real blast, and had fun driving the car. Like you said, all practice goes towards furthering skills and experience, so nothing is lost really.

Kinda wish NA races were doable for me, because that offers that "second chance" if the first race doesn't go as planned. I'm moving "life" in september, lol, so we will see how that affects my timetable. I'm hoping I will then be able to do both races!

Yeh, I fully agree. Had great fun prepping for the race. That 4 way practice race was a real blast, and had fun driving the car. Like you said, all practice goes towards furthering skills and experience, so nothing is lost really.

Kinda wish NA races were doable for me, because that offers that "second chance" if the first race doesn't go as planned. I'm moving "life" in september, lol, so we will see how that affects my timetable. I'm hoping I will then be able to do both races!

The time changes for you next week right? wonder how that will impact things for you making NA races? Probably doesn't matter much given either way it's in the middle of the night for you. :lol: But yes, having two chances is really nice. Even if the first race goes well, you can put what you learned to the test or try something a little different in the 2nd.

There's been a trend the last couple weeks... I manage to beat JTV for a podium in the EU race, but get beat by the really fast guys (e.g. Twissy) so no win. Then in NA, in the true speedsters absence, JTV beats me for the win. Arrrgh! I would take one win over two podiums. :lol:

Back to the time change...

Take special note next week of the event times with Europe going into "Summer Time" this weekend.

Event #82 - Wednesday April 3rd (click for your local time):
  • EU Start Time: 12:00 PM Pacific | 3:00 PM Eastern | 19:00 GMT
  • NA Start Time: 7:00 PM Pacific | 10:00 PM Eastern | 02:00 GMT (Thu)

Here are my submission for this weeks photo contest.:)

33z71bq.jpg

29vld1t.jpg

4nn6h.jpg

Some more but just for fun,because it was so a top race.

11mgqp3.jpg

25khq8x.jpg

jidcsx.jpg

mvksx0.jpg

o56yaf.jpg

sdz6ki.jpg

syl3wj.jpg

24uywly.jpg

14944k7.jpg

Awesome pics. 👍

My pit crew was told if they scratch the gold chrome rims they'd be docked some pay. :lol:

That last pic of me entering the pits and Tidgney going for one more lap brings back some good memories. :dopey:

Any restrictions on the pictures we submit Tim? ie editing and whatsnot

I'm going to put together a short little video of the EU race... stay tuned. I don't have too much time so it'll be quick and dirty, but it's definitely one for the archives.

You guys still have about 28 hours to submit your pictures for the contest this week. After you post them here I'll collect them on the first page of this thread. Voting will start as soon as the submission period is complete.

Video highlights of the EU race as promised:

It will be about 15-20 minutes from the time of this post before the HD version is processed by youtube.

PS> Hey Revoy... noticed just now in the video you were weaving to warm tires on the formation lap... not allowed. Just remember, I am the all seeing eye. :lol:

eyeofsauron.jpg

Last edited:
PS> Hey Revoy... noticed just now in the video you were weaving to warm tires on the formation lap... not allowed. Just remember, I am the all seeing eye. :lol:

I actually noticed that in the race, was gunna mention it at the end but totally forgot ;)

Great video Tim! 👍

Just to let you know the title of the race on youtube says NA :)!

Great video Tim! 👍

Just to let you know the title of the race on youtube says NA :)!

Thanks... Fixed.

I wish there was an easy way to change drivers without moving the mouse and bring up the enter HUD during a replay... I know you can post process it and rewind, etc... Its nice to see the names of the drivers and even map and tires, but that pesky toolbar at the bottom and the "clicking" is a pain.

I'll get better at these of course, but it's a matter of time available too.

Any tips from you video pros would be welcome.

PS> Also have to remember to turn off notifications when I capture... always someone coming and going. :dunce:

10 hours to submit your photos before we start the voting... Here are my entries this week:

WRP-001 : The Final Turn
event80_golf_wrp1_finalturn.jpg

WRP-002 : Snaking through Turn 3/4
event80_golf_wrp2_snaking.jpg

WRP-003 : Jumping the Curb
event80_golf_wrp3_jumpingthecurb.jpg

Try refreshing the page again... I forgot to add the 3D3 logo to my shots and re-uploaded them so might have been a cache issue. They look fine to me at the moment.

Do you know how badly I want to pull that red ring? If the front tires pop right off when I do so then I could actually beat Twissy in a race. :lol:

Back