GTP WRS-Online : Post Race Interview Series

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 42 comments
Well done Mohit 👍

I'm glad you got by me without trouble, you were one of the few who didn't show up on track for me, so I didn't know this over take happened :sly:

Thanks guys! And nice job with the interview Tim :sly:.

Well done Mohit 👍

I'm glad you got by me without trouble, you were one of the few who didn't show up on track for me, so I didn't know this over take happened :sly:

:scared:. I guess it's better I didn't know that

You came out of the pits at the start of lap 19 with a 31 second lead. Thoughts at this point?

I got this.

:lol:
I wish I had that confidence 👍
My last laps always have the same thought in my head: "Keep it together.... I'm :censored:ing it up .... again...."

We've decided to change it up this week as running the full formal interview is a real time strain and none of us had the spare time this week. Instead, we've invited a guest racer to write up a first person race report. Hopefully it relays a lot of the same information as the interview with a little less work. This week we've selected the mighty chukabilly. Both because he earned his first WRS-OE race win this week and because of his outstanding performance in the WRS-TT competition.

Look for Chuk's race report to be posted in the next few hours.

In future weeks we may run a race report or a full interview based on available resources. If you think you've got what it takes to be the interviewer for a future week let us know via PM either before the race or shortly after and we will give you the floor for that week. Obviously you'll also have to get cooperation from the "interviewee". We do ask that you run the output by an OLR Admin before "publishing" and you stick to a few ground rules, but otherwise the show would be yours.

Also for either a race report or an interview I'd be willing to assist in capturing a few short video clips, e.g. fastest lap, coolest pass, etc., that may supplement the story.

Last edited:
:: Episode V ::

An M3 on S3's at GVE | January 4, 2012

Race Report by GTP_Chuk

BMW M3 Coupe '07 in Red @ Grand Valley East Reverse

car_bmw_m3_07.jpg
800pxgt5circuitgrandval.jpg

Jake helped me immensely this week. His guidance helped me get fast with the combo, but it still took all week for me to catch him. I knew he would be tough to beat in the race! I drove the WRS event for about 30 hours this week, and wanted to put in a good showing at the 3D3 races. I did a few practice sessions and found one big weakness: my starts were SUPER slow. It would come back to haunt me all day on Wednesday. The other issue was setting my brake balance before the race started. Another weak point that cost me dearly! But I was starting from the pole, so I still had hope! :crazy:

YgUsiagxbydWv8J26ba_0.jpg

It was a misguided hope, at best! :ill: I tried to set my brake balance as the Sprint race was counting down, and didn't make it. I mashed the gas and started with stock settings. It was pure carnage! By the end of lap 1, I was last, but found time to make the adjustments to my brakes.

rppB3bzd0utWvBUsNnY_0.jpg

I raced as hard as I could, pushed too much, and biffed the tunnel entry! :ouch: I finished sixth, which ironically gave me pole for the B feature. The feature race started like the sprint, but I had my brake balance set. My start was another disaster, though, and I was seventh by the end of the first lap. :yuck:

Believe it or not, I felt pretty good about my chances. I knew I had speed, I just needed to work through traffic cleanly and have a good pit-stop. The traffic was intense.

x16Nd9yQozpqky8rKz_0.jpg

The first ten laps I waited and waited for a chance to get through, finally getting third place at about 7.5 seconds behind the leaders. I slowly climbed to about six seconds back, when Marc unexpectedly pitted on lap 16, leaving me chasing Lucas. I was going to pit with the leader, regardless of the lap. It turned out to be lap 19, and now we know Lucas got the penalty. When I came out in front of him, I figured he'd be back, for now I had to find Marc. Or rather, Marc found me, and I had to let him go as my tires warmed up. I chased him for 15 laps or so, and then decided it was time.

Lucas and Hasslemoff were catching up, and time was running out. I got a run on Marc going down the front straight, and made my move! :nervous: We both made it through, barely, and hadn't lost much time to those chasing us! Marc's tires were a little less than mine, so I just concentrated on hitting my marks, and I had my very first win! :)

R3dwqMEEJMkqedXxwu_0.jpg

The NA Sprint started of pretty good. My start was better, but there was no way I could pass Kevin or Marc, and finishing third in the Sprint meant I started sixth in the Main. With such a competitive field, I had my work cut out for me. I held my own on the start, but never gained any time, and Jake was GONE! Everybody was driving good.👍 I was thinking about pit strategy when I clipped some grass and hit the wall. My lapse in concentration cost me any chance at finishing with the leaders, and I limped home a couple of laps down. :indiff:

hW22gb8orQkbvj3iNAg_0.jpg

I was satisfied with my day. I got my first 3D3 win and gained some valuable experience. I've got to work on my starts and keep the "pit-stop penalty" in mind for future events. Next week is Autumn Ring, a track I'm normally good at. I expect the racing to be tight. There are a lot of places here to wreck, and the Lotus is a tricky platform to drive!

Thanks Chuk! Here's Chuks fast lap from his EU Feature B Race winning performance:

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it me or this interview has no questions???

Good job though Chuk, very interesting read 👍. You're becoming a real force in WRS and 3D3 races now.

EDIT: Nevermind, saw the post about it being a race report haha.

So I not only 'Let' you pass me :sly:, but I also provided the draft for your fastest lap?
I'm getting too nice in my old age :D

Great Driving Chuck :cheers:

So I not only 'Let' you pass me :sly:, but I also provided the draft for your fastest lap?
I'm getting too nice in my old age :D

Great Driving Chuck :cheers:

Tim, you do some amazing work!
NotWorthy.gif

And to you, Marc! :cheers:
All I kept thinking that whole race was "This is just a Sunday morning!" Having faith in you as a driver enabled me to run clean and somewhat fast, the "zone", some would say. The feature race and then the sprint with you and Kevin has been the most enjoyable racing yet for me! Racing with a driver of your caliber can only make me better, so I look forward to more of the same in the future!! :cool:

And a special shout out to Kevin for a fantastic sprint! Beautiful win, Kevin!
a2.gif

If only Marc had let me pass him again! :sly:

Jake!!! What a set of races you ran, man!!! You came in with a mission, and did it!!
podium.gif

Now to get you and Wes on the track together!!

All three Team SMART members who ran on Wednesday had at least one win!!
teamwin.gif

Last, and least, the only change I'd like is the header to say GTP_Chuk, instead of Chuck.
See, I'm Chuk the ----, well, it rhymes! Around here, Chuck is Chuck Pickert, who has arms the size of my legs! I'm the stilt-walker, he's the landscaper! (A little redneck information for you that you didn't know you needed!!) :lol:

:gtpflag: :cheers:

edit: I'm still laughing over that start video!!

Last edited:
edit: I'm still laughing over that start video!!

I did the same thing in my 2nd iRace. I forgot that you have to put the car in first gear on the grid, it doesn't do it for you in that sim. Well, really... GT has conditioned us all. :sly:

Great write-up Chuk, to go along with a fun day of racing! That tunnel-crash pic is awesome. 👍

Nice write-up Chuk! 👍
Good pics and vids to go with it too.
I also had a good luagh with that race start video. :lol:

Back