GTP WTAC Week 100 : Awaren's Choice

• Thread starter Detroitbb
  • 58 comments
GTP WTAC Week 100 : Awaren's Choice

*** Awaren actually gave me a short list of cars that he'd love to see, so I made the final selection. Both of these cars have been used before, but both were used a long time ago. They are both very powerful and capable Le Mans racers. We should be sufficiently challenged with these two beasts of the tarmac! ***

1. Track : Sarthe Circuit 2005

picture.php

2. Cars : Viper GTS-R Team Oreca Race Car '00 & Chevrolet Corvette C5-R (C5) ’00

2lb03v4.jpg
l
23w86rq.jpg

IMPORTANT ! This is a combined times challenge: you'll need to run both cars; rankings will be made based on your combined times.

----------------

3. Cars specifics:

- Transmission: either
- Tires: R1 / R1
- TCS : at your disposal
- ASM : off
- Active Steering : off
- Driving Physics : Professional

All in-game quick-tune options are at your disposal (Press Triangle when selecting your car to add the car to your favorites and tinker with any available settings).

Hybrid cars, the use of CFW tuning or any other way of cheating (such as the Action Replay for PSP) is forbidden...

--------------------

4. Duration of the challenges : this challenge will start Monday April 16th 4:00 pm GMT+2 and will end Monday April 23rd 3:59 pm GMT+2 (one week !)

--------------------

5. Time submission :

You'll have to post your Ghost Replay Data + Photo before Monday April 23rd 3:59 pm GMT+2. If you miss the deadline, your laptimes won't be in the website.

--------------------

6. Rules :

You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) ! Just to remind you :
Clean or Dirty lap :
- Colliding with or using walls, fences, cones or other obstacle is forbidden. All times submitted must be 100% wall free.
- Two wheels (except when airborne, where the vertical projection of the car onto the track counts) must be in contact with the tarmac which does not include all green/grassed/sanded/graveled areas.
- NO SPARKS! (this does not include 'bottoming' the car out on the tarmac or rumble strips; but does include walls/barriers)
Rumble/ripple strips :
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's inside rumble strips and two off track is considered unclean
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's outside rumble strips and two off track is considered clean.

--------------------

7. LeaderBoards

The leaderboards will be on the website

--------------------

8. Current session points leaders:

Place - Competitor - Points

1st #l-l Antares26####32
2nd #-l Detroitbb####)24
3rd #l-l vaughan####$l16#
small_up_arrow.gif

5th #l-l zipiol#######.15#
small_down_arrow.gif
#(tied for 5th)
5th #l-l Awaren#####.l15###(tied for 5th)
6th #l-l easyasashii##&l13#
small_up_arrow.gif

7th #l-l MVR08######7l7#
small_down_arrow.gif

8th #l-l red ice#######3

----------------------------------------------------------

:gtpflag:

Upcoming challenges:

Week 101 (red ice's choice): Mazda RX-7 GT-X (J) '90 & Toyota Sprinter TRUENO (S.Shigeno Version)

Week 102 (Petrolhead1's choice): Nissan GT-R SpecV '09 & Nissan Skyline Sports Coupe (BLRA-3) '62

Week 103 (anastasis14's choice): Peugeot 206 S16 '99 (Yes, just one car... but used on two tracks!)

Last edited:
Umm...I'm not sure whether it's the car picture or the car name that's wrong. I know it's still 2 weeks away, but can someone clarify this selection? 👍

Umm...I'm not sure whether it's the car picture or the car name that's wrong. I know it's still 2 weeks away, but can someone clarify this selection? 👍

Thanks!

That's the second time I've done that in a month. I must be getting old and senile!

EDIT: Proper car name added. :)

OMG ! times will be big now ;p

90% of cars reaching cuickly their limits on this track and choke themselves on the straights ;p

It seems like every time we use Le Mans, we also use cars built for Le Mans.

Remember the Pescarolo C60 vs Bentley Speed 8? ;)

It seems like every time we use Le Mans, we also use cars built for Le Mans.

Remember the Pescarolo C60 vs Bentley Speed 8? ;)

You're right. And we've also used the Ford GT40 and Chaparral 2D at the old layout too.

Maybe we should go with a Japanese Kei car battle at la Sarte next! Ha ha ha! I'd enjoy that, but I suspect most people wouldn't!

Kei Car Battle - lol xD

one time i took VW Beetle on test track (2 laps) it was THE MOST boring 10 mins in my life ;p xD

Guys would you be kind enough to post your setups here, like you did in the previous week?

Last edited:
You're right. And we've also used the Ford GT40 and Chaparral 2D at the old layout too.

Maybe we should go with a Japanese Kei car battle at la Sarte next! Ha ha ha! I'd enjoy that, but I suspect most people wouldn't!

I know I won't! It's gonna be like running an old car on the 'ring...only more annoying because of Mulsanne. XD

Guys would you be kind enough to post your setups here, like you did in the previous week?

I haven't done any setups with both cars, except for the 0.00 rear toe. But I do know I'm gonna use a softer S-D setting on the Corvette, it felt like the Mazda6, except that the rear was really gonna break out.

I've done a few laps with the C5-R on 0 rear toe and only got

3'50.xxx

I think I'm gonna start the set up of the C5-R like this:
Springs: 5/5
Dampers: 6/6

Last edited:
Antares are you serious? 3:50,xxx and 3:47,xxx ? I think i could achieve such times only on R2 or R3 tyres. You're fast like lightning O_o I think i will be racing mainly against Detroitbb -> i have 3:55,xxx on both cars :gtpflag:

I was actually just racing La Sarthe a few days with the Audi R8 (the Prototype one) for a guide that shows driving around Le Mans with no TCS is possible even in an LMP, so I had no problems driving around the course. The braking points for prototypes and GT cars are actually the same here.

Good to see you're still hanging with us, red ice! 👍

I've managed to improve my time with the Vette...

3'48.xxx

I'm not sure how to go with it, though, I think I'll have to play around with more settings to get this one done right. Probably not gonna touch the Viper until then.

5 laps with the Viper, L-F tuning, 3'53.309, what a great car after all !!! I wasn't a viper fan since GT1 but I'm pretty amazed by the Viper @ La Sarthe ! good week ahead 👍

:cheers:

3'52.4xx with the Viper.

3'52.6xx with the Corvette.

I think the Corvette might potentially be faster than the Viper, but it is a bit harder to handle (back end spins out more easily). The Viper is more controllable for me, but the 'Vette seems a bit more powerful.

I haven't done any tuning. This is all stock settings. I'm satisfied with my laps and driving so far. I find that, having run this track (in both configurations) many times over the past two years, has given me the knowledge of what corners I can push the car aggressively on and what corners I need to back off and drive conservatively. I definitely feel more confident at la Sarthe than I ever have before.

I only tried race mode with Viper - 4'02.xxx was my best ;)
I'll try some time trial when I S-rank it ;) (one rank to go:tup:)

and btw - I hate super fast race cars... ;/ :yuck:

I tried the Viper and managed a 3'45.2xx stock.

As I said in the challenge at Infineon, I like this car alot, its very stable, predictabe, its one of the best race cars in the game for me, and I always love to drive on this track...

^
Impressive time bro 👍 ! And the WTAC Viper / Infineon was in GTP WTAC Week 50 : Viperidae (we have precious informations there... you guys should have a look ;))

I ran the 'Vette for half an hour with L-F tuning and I got a 3'51.350 !

I ran with Antares26 starting setup

JGTC Cars/FR Racing Cars
Aero: 32/56
Height: -5/-5
Springs: 6/6
Dampers: 8/8
Toe: -0.35/-0.25
Camber: 2.5/2.5

and got a 3'51.421, better at cornering but I like it better when there was more body roll -softer S+D- and less toe so I think I'll mix L-F / Anta' tuning ;)

I think I'll have a low 3'50.xxx / high 3'49 to submit but I really think that's the best I could do !!!

Good luck everyone :cheers:

I tried the Viper and managed a 3'45.2xx stock.

As I said in the challenge at Infineon, I like this car alot, its very stable, predictabe, its one of the best race cars in the game for me, and I always love to drive on this track...

Woah! Just woah! The best I could come up with a Viper on stock is a 46, you're dominating La Sarthe just like last time, MVR! 👍

Woah! Just woah! The best I could come up with a Viper on stock is a 46, you're dominating La Sarthe just like last time, MVR! 👍

Stock or tuned doesn't have as big difference as other tracks, at La Sarthe the most important thing is accelerate as fast an as early as possible out of the corners. It seems like every corner is succed by a long straight, so you need to take advantage of that and put the power on the floor as soon as you can.

So tuning for this track isn't about increasing mid-corner's grip, but making the car stable so you can floor the gas as early as possible out of the corners.

Stock or tuned doesn't have as big difference as other tracks, at La Sarthe the most important thing is accelerate as fast an as early as possible out of the corners. It seems like every corner is succed by a long straight, so you need to take advantage of that and put the power on the floor as soon as you can.

So tuning for this track isn't about increasing mid-corner's grip, but making the car stable so you can floor the gas as early as possible out of the corners.

Yeah, I'm thinking of tuning only a tiny bit on the Viper, because of how unbelievably stable it is on stock. The Corvette definitely needs some work though...

3'51.7xx with the Viper.

3'52.2xx with the Corvette.

I did this with my initial tuning setup:

Aero: max/max
Height: -5/-5
Springs: 8/8
Dampers: 8/8
Toe: 0.00/0.00
Camber: 2.5/1.2

Back