GTP WTAC Week 104: nascarlemanslmp's Choice

• Thread starter Detroitbb
  • 64 comments
I can't believe that I am the first one who wanted this...
This is soooo hard to make even one clean lap... :/

I'll make submission with my 3' times today after work...
I'd rather start to getting comfortable with shelbys than go back on dirt... :scared:

Yeah, it really is hard. At first glance the clean/unclean conditions looks a bit more loose than the track rules, but keeping a clean lap is a lot harder than tarmac.

Even my 2'51 times are unclean...

zipiol
I can't believe that I am the first one who wanted this...
This is soooo hard to make even one clean lap... :/

I'll make submission with my 3' times today after work...
I'd rather start to getting comfortable with shelbys than go back on dirt... :scared:

Haha, sounds like a good idea!

Yeah, it really is hard. At first glance the clean/unclean conditions looks a bit more loose than the track rules, but keeping a clean lap is a lot harder than tarmac.

Well what I don't like is that if you hit some grass, or even if there is absolutely nothing at the side of the track, you get sparks! I'm sorry, but how the heck do you get sparks when you hit grass or thin air?:dunce:

Grand Canyon isn't the only track to do this...

Can't beat these times, so this is my submission! :grumpy:

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution III GSR '95 ~ 2'54.801

Subaru IMPREZA Sedan WRX STi Version II '95 ~ 2'53.956

Combined Time ~ 5'48.757

Attachments

• UCES01245RPLY-BF645581D00.zip
    54 KB · Views: 35
  • UCES01245RPLY-BF645581D03.zip
    54 KB · Views: 35
Well what I don't like is that if you hit some grass, or even if there is absolutely nothing at the side of the track, you get sparks! I'm sorry, but how the heck do you get sparks when you hit grass or thin air?:dunce:

Grand Canyon isn't the only track to do this...

If you read the rules thoroughly, sparks caused by bottoming the car on uneven surfaces are still considered clean. It's obviously distinguishable from sparks caused by hitting the walls. The sparks at the side of the road are because you are already hitting the drivable boundary of the track, I think it's really challenging, having those invisible walls to have you think about the lines carefully.

danielmacgregor
Can't beat these times, so this is my submission!

The deadline is still days away, you can try to beat those times and update your submissions if you can. I know it always helps to make use of the time available to you 👍

Last edited:
Antares26
The deadline is still days away, you can try to beat those times and updated your submissions if you can. I know it always helps to make use of the time available to you 👍

I'll see how I go, I won't have much time this weekend so I thought its better to be safe getting the submission in now!

If you read the rules thoroughly, sparks caused by bottoming the car on uneven surfaces are still considered clean. It's obviously distinguishable from sparks caused by hitting the walls. The sparks at the side of the road are because you are already hitting the drivable boundary of the track, I think it's really challenging, having those invisible walls to have you think about the lines carefully.
Maybe so, but it just seems weird to get sparks off nothing. I really think that PD should remove those walls, so if you make a mistake, you go off the cliff. More challenging:sly:

Did more laps today and got both cars in the 50 second range.

Evo ~ 2'50.9xx
Impreza ~ 2'50.4xx

I can see a little more improvement with these, though now I'm sure my time with the Impreza will be faster than the Evo.

This is generating some problems to me. :-/

What exactly is considered a clean lap on a rally track? Just producing no sparks and wall contacts (?) or do we have to be on the cleaner tarmac-like (middle) part of the track? It is often hard to differ it from the "uncleaner" part of the track...

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution III GSR '95 - 3'06.750

scaled.php

Subaru IMPREZA Sedan WRX STi Version II '95 - 2'59.823

scaled.php

Combined Time ~ 6'06.573 :crazy:

Attachments

• Ghosts.rar
    61.7 KB · Views: 35
This is generating some problems to me. :-/

What exactly is considered a clean lap on a rally track? Just producing no sparks and wall contacts (?) or do we have to be on the cleaner tarmac-like (middle) part of the track? It is often hard to differ it from the "uncleaner" part of the track...
I think the city rules of the WTAC apply to full dirt/snow tracks, a clean lap is having no sparks, regardless of where you drive on the track.

I had a lot more fun driving this week's challenge, these two cars appeared to be initially equal but when their handling differences became much clearer, it became fairly obvious which car was gonna be faster.

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution III GSR '95 ~ 2'48.853
snap032.jpg

The car has power equal to the Impreza but somehow the power picks up lesser on this one. Though the car has much more stable handling than the Impreza, it's more on the understeer balance and the lack of power just made the difference.

Subaru IMPREZA Sedan WRX STi Version II '95 ~ 2'46.707
snap033.jpg

A wild animal, this car. At first I thought I couldn't brake hard into the corner because I thought the brakes itself were weak, but after a few hours of practice, I found that the brakes don't work very well unless the car's going full straight, especially on the first corner. The opposite of the Evo indeed, the car's balance goes towards oversteer, and it was really fun controlling the tail-happy 4WD.

Overall Combined Time: 5'35.560 👍

This challenge is probably the most enjoyable one I've had yet, I haven't had much experience in rally racing (the first being the Silvia 180RS on C.R. Trail II) and this experience was very nice. It's making me love rally more and more.

Attachments

• Ghost104_Antares.rar
    115.1 KB · Views: 35
good job guys! Too bad, no psp was available this week. I was excited to race again here in grand canyon and 2 of the best cars during the 90s.

Antares26
I had a lot more fun driving this week's challenge, these two cars appeared to be initially equal but when their handling differences became much clearer, it became fairly obvious which car was gonna be faster.

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution III GSR '95 ~ 2'48.853

The car has power equal to the Impreza but somehow the power picks up lesser on this one. Though the car has much more stable handling than the Impreza, it's more on the understeer balance and the lack of power just made the difference.

Subaru IMPREZA Sedan WRX STi Version II '95 ~ 2'46.707

A wild animal, this car. At first I thought I couldn't brake hard into the corner because I thought the brakes itself were weak, but after a few hours of practice, I found that the brakes don't work very well unless the car's going full straight, especially on the first corner. The opposite of the Evo indeed, the car's balance goes towards oversteer, and it was really fun controlling the tail-happy 4WD.

Overall Combined Time: 5'35.560 👍

This challenge is probably the most enjoyable one I've had yet, I haven't had much experience in rally racing (the first being the Silvia 180RS on C.R. Trail II) and this experience was very nice. It's making me love rally more and more.

Wow! Awesome times! 👍

Subaru IMPREZA Sedan WRX STi Version II ’95: 2'48.988

2nbf2nn.jpg

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution III GSR ’95: 2'51.629

2zgymj8.jpg

combined time: 5'40.617

Next week: Our first part of the two part series to honor Carroll Shelby's recent passing - classic 1960's racing!

:gtplanet:

Attachments

• UCUS98632RPLY-BF645581D01.zip
    56 KB · Views: 35
  • UCUS98632RPLY-BF645581D00.zip
    56 KB · Views: 35
Fine. So I don't have to redo my times. :) I hope these are correct ones:

Subaru IMPREZA Sedan WRX STi Version II '95: 2'55.142

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution III GSR '95: 2'55.621

Combined time: 5'50.763

Attachments

• UCES01245RPLY-BF645581D01.zip
    58.1 KB · Views: 35
  • UCES01245RPLY-BF645581D03.zip
    58.5 KB · Views: 35
I made this times in a hurry, not much time to play. Sunday was presidential election and was a crazy day here:crazy:

Better times could be made but I'm happy given the little time I have.

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution III GSR '95: 2'48.260
screen1iv.png

Subaru IMPREZA Sedan WRX STi Version II '95: 2'46.119
screen2zh.png

Total: 5'34.379

Beautiful track and so fun to drive with group B cars... I remember that still.:)

👍

Attachments

• Replays.rar
    107.6 KB · Views: 35
I didn't have a lot of time to practise, but here are my times:

DSCF2126.jpg

DSCF2129.jpg

Total time is 5'48.857

Attachments

• UCES01245RPLY-BF645581D00.zip
    56.7 KB · Views: 35
  • UCES01245RPLY-BF645581D01.zip
    56.9 KB · Views: 35
I'll be having school exams till 18 June, I don't think I'll be able to race anything.

Sorry to hear that, anastasis, it was always nice seeing you compete. But still, those are exams, one I can relate as much as a student myself.

Good luck with those anastasis14, and I hope to see you race again soon! 👍

----------------------------------------------------------

This week's results:

goldh.png
1st - MVR08####. (5'34.379)###[8 pts]

silverg.png
2nd - Antares26## (5'35.560)###[7 pts]

bronzeo.png
3rd - Detroitbb### (5'40.617)###[6 pts]

### 4th - danielmacgr#l (5'48.757)###[5 pts]

### 5th - Petrolhead1#l (5'48.857)###[4 pts]

### 6th - sidtiroler###ll (5'50.763)###[3 pts]

### 7th - zipiol#####7l (6'06.573)###[2 pts]

Current session points leaders:

Place - Competitor - Points

1st #l-l MVR08######l24
2nd #-l Antares26####21
3rd #l-l Detroitbb####)18
5th #l-l Awaren######.9#
small_down_arrow.gif
#(tied for 5th)
5th #l-l sidtiroler#####$9###(tied for 5th)
6th #l-l Petrolhead1###ll8#
small_up_arrow.gif

7th #l-l zipiol#######%6#
small_up_arrow.gif

9th #l-l anastasis14###.l5#
small_down_arrow.gif
#(tied for 9th)
9th #l-l danielmacgr###l.5###(tied for 9th)
10th .-l Valencianista###1

:gtpflag:

Back