GTP WTAC Week 19: Big Performance From Little Packages

• Thread starter Detroitbb
  • 48 comments
GTP WTAC Week 19 : Big Performance From Little Packages

*** In 2004, Canadian tuner HPA Motorsports, won the SEMA best in show award for it's twin-turbo 500+ HP/600 ft.lbs. R32. Not only was this a high point for the company, but they had the dual privilege of having their creation immortalized in Gran Turismo 4. The ying to the HPA's yang is the Polyphony Digital creation, the Toyota Altezza Touring Car. This 300 HP/1000 kilogram racer is as fun in the turns as it is in the straights. It redlines at 9500 rpms to extract every last bit of performance out of the '3S-GE' 4th-generation engine. Both cars are based on compact production cars that can be found on most any street, but their unassuming parentage belies the real performance that lies within. ***

1. Track : Autumn Ring (forward)

picture.php

2. Cars : HPA Motorsports Stage II R32 ‘04 & Toyota ALTEZZA Touring Car

##############
hpag.jpg
altezza.jpg

IMPORTANT ! This is a combined times challenge: you'll need to run both cars; rankings will be made based on your combined times.

----------------

3. Cars specifics:

- Transmission: either
- Tires: R1 / R1
- TCS : at your disposal
- ASM : off
- Active Steering : off
- Driving Physics : Professional

All in-game quick-tune options are at your disposal (Press Triangle when selecting your car to add the car to your favorites and tinker with any available settings).

Hybrid cars, the use of CFW tuning or any other way of cheating (such as the Action Replay for PSP) is forbidden...

--------------------

4. Duration of the challenges : this challenge will start Monday Sept. 20th 4:00 pm GMT+2 and will end Monday Sept. 27th 3:59 pm GMT+2 (one week !)

--------------------

5. Time submission :

You'll have to post your Ghost Replay Data + Photo before Monday Sept. 27th 3:59 pm GMT+2. If you miss the deadline, your laptimes won't be in the website.

--------------------

6. Rules :

You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) ! Just to remind you :
Clean or Dirty lap :
- Colliding with or using walls, fences, cones or other obstacle is forbidden. All times submitted must be 100% wall free.
- Two wheels (except when airborne, where the vertical projection of the car onto the track counts) must be in contact with the tarmac which does not include all green/grassed/sanded/graveled areas.
Rumble/ripple strips :
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's inside rumble strips and two off track is considered unclean
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's outside rumble strips and two off track is considered clean.
- NO SPARKS!

--------------------

7. LeaderBoards

The leaderboards will be on the website

-------------------

Last edited:
Oh, snap! In an early bid to get used to the cars, i ran 1'25 in both cars, with S2 tires! It's ok that you made the mistake, I had a fun time drifting with the 500bhp Golf! :D

I got a 1'27.xxx for the modern hachi-rokku(ALtezza) and 1'26.xxx for the Golf.
On this type of track, I truly miss tweaking the Transmission Setup to Sports mode( higher acceleration.

I'm into the 1'20 range with both cars. I'm hoping to get a 1'19 or even a 1'18 by the end of the week. The HPA will accelerate faster, whereas the Toyota will be more stable around the corners.

I'm into the 1'20 range with both cars. I'm hoping to get a 1'19 or even a 1'18 by the end of the week. The HPA will accelerate faster, whereas the Toyota will be more stable around the corners.

Wow! You're fast!!!

Thank you! I hope that you also gain good times! 👍 Remember, practice makes perfect, so learn the track, as well as the car! :)

Dan 360, you should aim 1'18.xxx with the HPA Motorsports Stage II R32 '04, I'm already at 1'19.058, and still one week to run so... !!!

I ran in arcade too : 2x Alfa Romeo 155 2.5 V6 TI '93 against 2x HPA Motorsports Stage II R32 '04 !!! Very fun !!! However, be carefull, AI doesn't know what is a clean lap and watch your back...

I'll try to run the Toyota just to see how good she is before squeezing the most I can out of the HPA !

Good luck all !

Did some laps in the Toyota last night which is really nice to drive. The car has good grip and really lets you attack the track and get on the power early. Best time was a 1.18.415. Not yet done any laps in the Golf might get a chance tonight or tomorrow.

Yeah I've done a few laps in the HPA, down to a 1:18.4xx so far. Haven't got the Toyota so will have to pick that up and hopefully get some laps down in time for the deadline.

Yeah pretty close.

Ride Height 0/0
Spring Rate 2/2
Damper 3/3
Toe 0/0
Camber 0/0

Normally I would half the spring rate also, but seeing as it started at such a low setting I left it.

I only set a 0 rear toe, I haven't touched any other settings, ran 5x 3laps arcade S rank race then 10 laps TT.

About L-F Tuning, I only uses it for Race Cars, those with these default settings :

6 6 8 8
0.00 +0.20 2.0 1.0 ...

Stock cars usually have these default settings :

2 2 1 1
0.00 +0.20 0 0

You will easily agree that L-F tuning here seems to be hard to do -except for the rear toe- !!! (I usually do the "Reverse L-F tuning" : spring&damper x2, but I might be wrong, I'm very bad at tuning !!!)

The HPA is a tuned car and has its own default settings, so I just set a 0 to rear toe because this setting seems to be THE default setting for -almost- All cars ! Once I know the car better , I'll try to set both camber to 0 to "feel" the difference... and then try L-F tuning.

The Toyota is a Race Car, you can be sure I'll set the L-F tuning for my very first lap !!! ;)

-------------------

IMPORTANT :

I finally updated the website (Leaderboards and Garage), you can check it and see what happened at
Grand Canyon
Trial Mountain - Reverse Interesting !
Circuit de la Sarthe 2005 Interesting !
Beginner course - Forward Lion-Face 4th ;)
Cathedral Rocks Trail III - Reverse
Twin Ring Motegi west short course

And PLEASE, VERY IMPORTANT, when you submit your times, can you do it like this : 0'00.000 and NOT 0:00.000 or 0.00.000 ??? Because I have to correct them each time I copy and paste them...

Thank you and have fun !

:gtpflag:

EDIT : If you see any mistake in the leaderboards, please PM me !!!

Last edited:
With normal road cars I do exactly as you say Easyasashii for a start.

I will

Max Aero
Ride Height 0/0
Spring Rate x3 default values
Damper x4 default values
Toe 0/0
Camber 0/0

Put the laps in, usually about 50 for a standard ~4km course before I look at altering the settings any further. There are always cars that are the exception to the rule, but those are the basic guidelines I start with each new WTAC.

Thanks for the help! easyasashii & sir Lion Face.
I'm currently struggling on the Golf.It drifts/oversteers quite crazy. I've done 60laps L-F tune and yet I got a 1'21.xxx best lap. I don't know if you guys got 1'18.xxx without this oversteering problem or is it just me overdoing the gas on exit corners. My setting is almost same to sir Lion Face. Loose springs and dampers.
Gotta gain more track knowledge of Autumn Ring's braking points.

I have both cars in the high 1'20 range. The HPA is almost overpowered - I have to really fight to wait until laying on the gas pedal (err... X button). The Altezza seems, to me, to be hard to turn. It's almost has too much downforce (is that even possible?).

1'18s are fast laps... I'm going to have a difficult time trying to catch you speed-demons!

Did some laps in the Golf and its harder to get a good lap time with the golf as car spins quite a bit until you get out of second and find that staying in third to reduce wheelspin kills the accerlation. The suspension also seems too soft for me.

The setup I was using on the Golf which is a bit unorthodox as actually prefer it with a -0.40 rear toe setting to increase the overstee.

ride height -10,-10 (front, rear)
spring rate 1,10
damper 1,10
toe -0.01,-0.40
camber 1.0,0.5

For the toyota I was using the default setup only change I made was to set the rear toe to -0.30 as I found It helped the car turn in easier,

The Altezza seems, to me, to be hard to turn. It's a!

I also had this problem initially Detroitbb and found that setting rear toe to -0.030 solved it.

Best times so far are
Golf - 1'18.511 1'18.357
Toyota - 1'18.415

Last edited:
I'm into the 1'18.9xx range with the Golf, although it took around 70 laps to get it. I think i've mastered the 1st section, but I need practice on the 3 corners after it.

1:17.992 so far on my default tune with the HPA. I've done about 80 laps so far, the tune will go faster, I think counting my fastest splits a 1:17.8xx should be possible. But I'm going to start tuning now, car can be very slidey if your not careful.

My splits are roughly
0:25.5xx
0:58.5xx

just to give an idea for sector times.

I love this track, been a favourite of mine since the first GT. Very technical. You don't just tackle one corner at a time, it can be as many as 5 you have to setup for, being smooth is key and often slower into a complex of corners is faster out

EDIT: 2nd lap out on new tune 1:17.691, pretty much made up in first sector alone...

Last edited:
I can't seem to keep the car straight going into or coming out of a turn. I know I'm not feathering the gas/brake enough - the last challenge's lack of need for that technique is coming back to haunt me!

I did get both cars into the 1'19.9xx range though.. But I'm nowhere near the 1'18s or Lion-Face's 1'17.xxx.

sorry for the crappy vid, I just would like comments on how i could at least shave off 1 second on my times. Any criticism would be helpful for me.
thanks!!!:grumpy:

Last edited:
Well, I'm not the best person to be giving driving tips... but I'll try to offer a couple of comments:

Feathering the gas (tap-tap-tap... start slow and increase the speed/frequency of the tapping as your car straightens out - then lay on the throttle). Especially useful for the big, tight turns like turn 1, 5, and 8.

Break a bit earlier before turn 4 so you can get on the gas earlier and have a better angle to attack the turn.

wow that was a fast tip! thanks!I didn't actually brake at turn 4 I thought it was uneceassary but... now brake early on turn 4 and somehow I managed to hug the inside and get a 25.976 at the first sector! cool!!!
You're right about the taptap method but i need more practice on that. I was always tempted to make short bursts of gas rather than the gradual tapping.

Try finding a different line on 4, 6, 7 and 12, red ice. I found out that following the driving line didn't help me, but with different braking and accelerating zones, you could go as much as a car length coming out of the corner, compared to the driving line.

sorry for the crappy vid, I just would like comments on how i could at least shave off 1 second on my times. Any criticism would be helpful for me.
thanks!!!:grumpy:

I was gunna try and help explain where to work on, but it was just easier for me to upload my own replay. Here I've posted my lap on the left, and yours on the right, if you run them at the same time, you should be able to see the different braking points, corner speeds and racing lines taken between our laps.

Overall your braking a bit too early into corners and could hold a faster speed through corners, hence your problem with oversteering too much in the corners, the hairpins highlight this the most in your video. The key is to be smooth and use all the track, keep the lines tight and tidy, you really need to maximize the whole width of the track where you can, this will afford you a faster apex speed and subsequently a faster speed at the end of the straight.

Thanks!!!! Your video explained it all. I'm gonna give it some dedicated times to tackle the hairpins with more guts! thank you guys.

Back