GTP WTAC Week 20: Channeling our inner-'Wagon Queen Family Truckster'

• Thread starter Detroitbb
  • 35 comments
GTP WTAC Week 20 : Channeling our inner-'Wagon Queen Family Truckster'

*** The 'Wagon Queen Family Truckster' (click here for photo) wasn't a real vehicle, but was an early 80's caricature of the much maligned station wagon. It was featured prominently in the movie 'National Lampoon's Vacation' that saw a release in 1983. By this time, station wagons were already a dying breed in North America. It was the kind of car that kids would hope and pray that they wouldn't have to drive when they got their driver's license. While the title of 'Most Uncool Car' in North America was eventually taken from the station wagon by the 90's minivan, it still has a bit of a stigma with anyone born before 1985. To see one around here nowadays is the ultimate rare find - though I did see a Dodge Charger wagon at a gas station about a month ago. My son was perplexed by the shape and though it looked 'weird'. It goes without saying that he was born in 1995. For this challenge, I chose two slightly different contemporary models, a 2001 Audi RS 4 and a 2002 Toyota CALDINA GT-FOUR. Both are fairly high-performance 4WD vehicles that don't really share anything, other than the general shape, in common with the station wagon's sullied reputation. That means no fake wood-grain paneling anywhere sight (though a real 'woody' would be sweet!). ***

1. Track : Seattle (reverse)

picture.php

2. Cars : Audi RS 4 '01 & Toyota CALDINA GT-FOUR '02

img0000g.jpg
l
img0007jw.jpg

IMPORTANT ! This is a combined times challenge: you'll need to run both cars; rankings will be made based on your combined times.

----------------

3. Cars specifics:

- Transmission: either
- Tires: S2 / S2
- TCS : at your disposal
- ASM : off
- Active Steering : off
- Driving Physics : Professional

All in-game quick-tune options are at your disposal (Press Triangle when selecting your car to add the car to your favorites and tinker with any available settings).

Hybrid cars, the use of CFW tuning or any other way of cheating (such as the Action Replay for PSP) is forbidden...

--------------------

4. Duration of the challenges : this challenge will start Monday Sept. 27th 4:00 pm GMT+2 and will end Monday Oct. 4th 3:59 pm GMT+2 (one week !)

--------------------

5. Time submission :

You'll have to post your Ghost Replay Data + Photo before Monday Oct. 4th 3:59 pm GMT+2. If you miss the deadline, your laptimes won't be in the website.

--------------------

6. Rules :

You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) ! Just to remind you :
Clean or Dirty lap :
- Colliding with or using walls, fences, cones or other obstacle is forbidden. All times submitted must be 100% wall free.
- Two wheels (except when airborne, where the vertical projection of the car onto the track counts) must be in contact with the tarmac which does not include all green/grassed/sanded/graveled areas.
Rumble/ripple strips :
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's inside rumble strips and two off track is considered unclean
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's outside rumble strips and two off track is considered clean.
- NO SPARKS!

--------------------

7. LeaderBoards

The leaderboards will be on the website

-------------------

8. Current session points leaders:

Place - Competitor - Points

1st #l-llLion-Face###.l8
2nd #-l Sylar ######l7
3rd #l- lDan360 ####ll6
4th #l- lDetroitbb ###l5
5th #l-l sausages###.l4
6th #l-l Fuchur#####l3

Last edited:
:D !!! I was wondering if we should or not have a challenge with the Audi RS and here it is !!! I was starting to think about it when you already have it all planned !!! Yay !!!

I had the chance to run a few laps last night, and one of the first problems I had was the Toyota's lack of speed. It took me many agressive, but clean, laps just to compete with the RS4's first run. Seattle is a speed track, and that's what the Audi is for. The only noticeable advantage for the Caldina is it's braking power.

I'll start the bidding then:

Audi: 1'48.5xx
Toyota: 1'51.6xx

Brilliant combo - the Audi is great fun to throw around this track, whilst the Toyota needs a bit more care to keep momentum through the slower corners but still very enjoyable. Combos like this remind me why I love GT 👍

I didn't do any laps last night - I spun records for about six hours straight instead (it helps keep me sane!).

The Toyota Caldina GT-Four won't be able to keep up with the Audi RS 4, but both have their own unique fun qualities to enjoy out on the course.

Last night's times: The Audi ran 1'48.3xx and the Toyota gave me 1'52.0xx. I need more practice on the GT FOUR.

Finally got a chance to do do some laps last night. Really enjoyed running the Audi as handling is surprisingly well balanced for a large estate car and you can really push it to the limits there is so much grip and power. Having real problems hooking up a good lap with the Toyota though.

Audi - 1.48.045
Toyota - 1.52.757

Aww I really had my hopes up for a Stagea when I saw the title. Either way, I like wagons. This might be the first organized TAC I participate in given I can get the cars in time, seattle has always been one of my favorite tracks.

I've made some improvements:

Audi - 1'47.2xx
Toyota - 1'51.0xx

There's a lot of time to be gained by using all of the track!

I ran my first laps last night - 1'48.6xx with the Audi RS 4 and 1'53.7xx with the Toyota Caldina GT-Four.

--------------------------

While cruising around Seattle, I realized that I should have clarified the rules for this track. Sometimes on city courses, we allow the competitors to go anywhere as long as there aren't any sparks from the walls/barriers. Some versions have rumble strips/curbing that sticks way out (like at New York) and we employed normal rules (no cutting inside curbs; running wide onto outside curb is ok). Since I didn't amend the rules at the start of the competition, I think we'll stick the 'normal' rule set - as written in the first post of this thread. No cutting the inside rumble strips - keep two tires on (or over) the actual tarmac surface. You can run wide coming out of a turn (outside rumble strips), but two tires at least need to be on the strips/curb.

Sorry for the late clarification everybody!

Aww I really had my hopes up for a Stagea when I saw the title. Either way, I like wagons. This might be the first organized TAC I participate in given I can get the cars in time, seattle has always been one of my favorite tracks.

We'd be glad to have you join us!

:)

Last edited:
This combination is a bit more challenging than I'd expected, Seattle really tightens up when you run it in reverse. I've been running the Caldina quite a bit, I think my best so far was 1'53.9

Still waiting for Audi to pop up in my dealer so I can grab that RS4.

1'47.4xx with the Audi, and 1'51.2xx with the Toyota. Sadly, I cut the start of 'C' complex with both cars, so I need to re-run both cars. I wonder where the others are?...

I'm waiting on both of the cars to come around in the cycle. I want to run the Toyota first also, so I won't be lapping until the weekend rolls around, more likely Sunday. In the meantime, I'm trying to get the fastest time possible on probably the hardest car/track combo in the game to keep myself entertained :D

In the meantime, I'm trying to get the fastest time possible on probably the hardest car/track combo in the game to keep myself entertained :D

That's a new game for us !!! Where is Lion-Face ??? :D

My first guess : Enzo + Città di Aria

Cold or hot Lion-Face ??? ;)

About the challenge I actually only played arcade, I need money -almost have all the cars- and then I had a pretty busy week so... But, for what I remember, my best laptime with the Audi was 1'49.xxx so still work to do !!!

Good luck guys !

:gtpflag:

Just set 1'47.2xx with the Audi! This was with full tuning, so it was up to my driving skill to set a good time. Street courses are amazing, the adrenaline of missing the walls, whilst using the whole track, is so fun. Now it's the Toyota's turn....

I ran one hour yesterday evening and got a 1'48.373 with the audi (L-F stock tuning), still haven't run the Toyota. I can see myself with a high 1'47 with the audi, I hope I will have time tonight to run both cars and submit times... I'm really too rusty and I'm not running I'm rushing so it is dirty laps after dirty laps, frustration, nervous then angry... this is hard !!!

Good luck everyone !

WTAC may live !!!

My final times:

Audi RS 4 -1'47.225
Toyota Caldina - 1'51.267

Combined time: 3'38.492

I could have broken into the 1'46 with the Audi, but this week was quite busy for me.

Seattle is a fun track to drive around, not only is it set on the streets, but almost every corner has the 'slingshot' effect. Oh yes, and the big air.

Good luck! 👍:)

Attachments

• Audi RS 4.zip
    53 KB · Views: 6
  • Toyota Caldina.zip
    53.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Afraid I didn't get a chance to do any more laps this week so only got one nights worth of running in the cars. I was going to submit my current best times. However when checking the replays noticed that had all four wheels on kerb through corner 12 in the Toyota so had to quickly do another lap before posting this. :dunce:

Audi - 1'48.041
Toyota - 1'53.212
Total - 3'41.253

Hopefully should have more free time next week to try and do some more competitive lap times as I have a feeling that I will be at the back of the field this week with those times. Really enjoyed the limited time I had driving the Audi though.

Attachments

• UCUS98632RPLY-B1127899303.zip
    58.3 KB · Views: 5
  • UCUS98632RPLY-B1127899305.zip
    58.3 KB · Views: 5
Audi RS 4: 1'47.173

47173.jpg

Toyota Caldina GT-Four: 1'51.933

51933.jpg

Combined time: 3'39.106

:)

See everyone at Midfield Raceway!

Attachments

• UCUS98632RPLY-B1127899301.zip
    54.4 KB · Views: 5
  • UCUS98632RPLY-B1127899300.zip
    54.3 KB · Views: 5
Didn't get much of a chance to run since earlier in the week and probably won't get another chance before the deadline, so:

Audi: 1'47.231
Toyota: 1'51.030
TOTAL: 3'38.261

Loved this challenge! Thanks Detroitbb :cheers:

Attachments

• UCES01245RPLY-B1127899302.rar
    52.9 KB · Views: 5
  • UCES01245RPLY-B1127899300.rar
    52.8 KB · Views: 5
Hi guys!!
My times this week:Seattle Circuit / Reverse

Audi RS 4 '01