GTP WTAC Week 41 : Mazdaspeed Power

• Thread starter Detroitbb
  • 47 comments
GTP WTAC Week 41 : Mazdaspeed Power

*** Nothing really detailed this week. Mazdaspeed is Mazda's tuning/racing arm and I just wanted to use two examples. Obviously we aren't using the most famous creation from Mazdaspeed, the 1991 Mazda 787B. But we do get two modern versions produced for the performance enthusiasts and race teams. First is the 2005 Mazdaspeed Atenza. The Atenza, sold as Mazda 6 outside of Japan, is a 4-door sedan built since 2002. It was meant to compete with the Subaru Legacy, Honda Accord, and Toyota Camry in the crowed worldwide sedan market. Mazda decided to differentiate itself for the others with a more robust setup designed to appeal to performance driving lovers. This version is AWD (All Wheel Drive), features a 6-speed manual transmission, and has 275 HP and 280 ft. lbs. of torque. The other car is a Mazdaspeed touring car version. Be careful to choose the Mazda6 Touring Car as the Mazda Atenza Touring Car actually has less HP. ***

1. Track : Apricot Hill Raceway (forward)

picture.php

2. Cars : Mazda Mazdaspeed Atenza '05 & Mazda6 Touring Car

41439831.jpg
l
75007499.jpg

IMPORTANT ! This is a combined times challenge: you'll need to run both cars; rankings will be made based on your combined times.

----------------

3. Cars specifics:

- Transmission: either
- Tires: S3 / S3 (Mazdaspeed Atenza) & R1 / R1 (Mazda 6 Touring Car)
- TCS : at your disposal
- ASM : off
- Active Steering : off
- Driving Physics : Professional

All in-game quick-tune options are at your disposal (Press Triangle when selecting your car to add the car to your favorites and tinker with any available settings).

Hybrid cars, the use of CFW tuning or any other way of cheating (such as the Action Replay for PSP) is forbidden...

--------------------

4. Duration of the challenges : this challenge will start Monday Feb. 28th 4:00 pm GMT+2 and will end Monday March 7th 3:59 pm GMT+2 (one week !)

--------------------

5. Time submission :

You'll have to post your Ghost Replay Data + Photo before Monday March 7th 3:59 pm GMT+2. If you miss the deadline, your laptimes won't be in the website.

--------------------

6. Rules :

You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) ! Just to remind you :
Clean or Dirty lap :
- Colliding with or using walls, fences, cones or other obstacle is forbidden. All times submitted must be 100% wall free.
- Two wheels (except when airborne, where the vertical projection of the car onto the track counts) must be in contact with the tarmac which does not include all green/grassed/sanded/graveled areas.
- NO SPARKS! (this does not include 'bottoming' the car out on the tarmac or rumble strips; but does include walls/barriers)
Rumble/ripple strips :
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's inside rumble strips and two off track is considered unclean
- having two wheels/tires on a corner's outside rumble strips and two off track is considered clean.

--------------------

7. LeaderBoards

The leaderboards will be on the website

----------------------

8. Current session points leaders:

Place - Competitor - Points

1st #l-l red ice######lll.8
2nd #-l Dan360#######7
3rd #l-l pvr77#######.ll6
4th #l-l Detroitbb####.#l5
5th #l-l easyasashii###.lll4
6th #l-l MVR08#######.2

----------------------

:gtpflag:

Last edited:
Got the Mazda6 Touring Car. I'm having trouble with the Mazdaspeed Atenza. can't seem to find it in the dealerships. :( is the Mazda6 Touring Car and Mazda Atenza Touring Car, the same?? Isn't Mazda6 same as Atenza?. IM confused.

EDIT: forgot to read Detroitbb's intro. :ouch:

Last edited:
^ I just ran 5 laps with Touring car and got a 1'28.364 and 10 laps with the stock version gave me a 1'37.483.

Good luck and have fun !

Please make note that each car will be using different tires (S2 S3 for the Mazdaspeed Atenza and R1 for the Mazda6 touring car).

Last edited:
Please make note that each car will be using different tires (S2 for the Mazdaspeed Atenza and R1 for the Mazda6 touring car).

The OP says the stock version will be running on S3's. I was confused at first, because the only time we ran S3's were on the 'Ring Challenge.

The OP says the stock version will be running on S3's. I was confused at first, because the only time we ran S3's were on the 'Ring Challenge.

It's S3 tires for the Mazdaspeed Atenza. I did some checking into the tires that come on that car and S3 seemed like the better fit.

:)

I just ran my first pretty serious session :

Mazda Mazdaspeed Atenza '05 : 1'36.126

I aim a mid 1'35 but I can see some of you in the low 1'35 / high 1'34 .

But well, you know that stock cars aren't the ones I'm confident and fast with and I might be still too rusty to have a clear opinion on what is really going on !

Still early in the week, good luck WTACers !!!

My best so far with the Mazda Mazdaspeed Atenza '05 is just over 1:39

I just bought the touring car from the dealership, haven't run any laps with it yet.

I just bought the touring car from the dealership, haven't run any laps with it yet.

Alright seems I got the correct stock car. I have similar time with 1'39.xxx.
haven't run the touring car yet.

Alright seems I got the correct stock car. I have similar time with 1'39.xxx.
haven't run the touring car yet.

You should probably be a couple seconds faster than me, I'm a total noob and garbage at this game...

Just tried the tourinc car, my best time right now is aroune 1'33.5xx

New times,
MazdaSpeed - 1'37.5xx
Touring Car - 1'28.1xx (turn 3 wasn't clean but I had a not so good hairpin)

For me with the Touring Car I think a high 1'27 will be my best.

You should probably be a couple seconds faster than me, I'm a total noob and garbage at this game...

Just tried the tourinc car, my best time right now is aroune 1'33.5xx

You may be surprised, but I'm generally no good at tarmacs. Doesn't matter if you're slow, the important thing is to have fun here.
Try checking out the TAC Leaderboard list http://tac.gtplanet.net/
(example: Circuit de La Sarthe. You will see that my times in tarmac are way, way slower than everyone. But I still do race here. Keep on learning how to be a better driver and be proud of whatever your times are gonna be.
We should be proud racing against GTPlanet's GTPSP Legends
Detroitbb, Easyasashii
and the fastest guys week after week
Dan360. MVR08

well, I for one am proud being a WTAC regular. hahaha!

Mazda Mazdaspeed Atenza '05 : 1'35.510 :D !

Good luck !

Mighty Fast! early on. Hoping to get at least 2 seconds behind you. :)

Last edited:
For me with the Touring Car I think a high 1'27 will be my best.

New time for the Touring Car... 1'27.0xx

:D !

(I haven't run a serious session yet...)

Welcome 👍 ! :gtpflag:

well, I for one am proud being a WTAC regular. hahaha!

We're proud to run with and against you (on Rally track :bowdown:) !

:cheers: !

Mighty Fast! early on. Hoping to get at least 2 seconds behind you. :)

;) !

Thanks, I guess I had a fast time pretty early but I won't be the fastest with it and unfortunately I'm having trouble doing better !!! Moreover, I should start running with the Touring Car if I want to catch up with pvr77 and the others who keep secret their times :mischievous:... so this might be my submission time... unless I got lucky this weekend ! ;)

Have fun guys !

My first times:

Atenza - 1'38.xxx
Mazda6 Touring Car - 1'27.1xx

I don't know why but I'm struggling with te Atenza. I can easily set a clean lap, but for some reason I can't get its maximum potential. :confused: I've only done light tuning (change ride height, set toe and camber to 0) so that could be the problem.

I did my 1'37.483 on default setting with toe/camber set to 0 then I did the Stock L-F tuning : Ride Height 0, Spring 6 Damper 4, toe+camber 0 and I hit 1'36 for the first time after some practice -usually have a 1'37.1/2xx- but I'm not sure if I got faster because I got more experience or because the tuning helped ! That's my problem with tuning !-.

If I have one advice to give it would be to clip the angle of the key corners (I said "clip" and not "cut" ;)) ! But do not clip too much : too much sand and you'll slow down too much ! And not too much brake, let the car slow down by herself (+ tuning for making her slide a little, an excitable tail is better ;)...).

That's what I'm doing and I'm trying new tunings each time ! I usually run for 10 to 15 laps with default settings and zeroed toe then I experiment my own tunings !

Good luck !

^thanks for the tips!!!

Current times:
Atenza stock car: 1'38.045
Atenza Touring Car: none yet

Last edited:
Mazdaspeed Atenza '05 : 1'38.9xx

took me a while to get under 1'39, my previous best of 1'39.034 was a flukey good lap.

EDIT: 1'38.xxx :)

Last edited:
^thanks for the tips!!!

Unfortunately they don't work with the Touring Car !

Mazda6 Touring Car : 1'27.593

-I plan on working on it tonight, need to catch up with you guys :scared:-

MVR08, where are you at ? Still keeping it secret ?

Hey guys, I'm posting early this week 'cause I'm traveling. It's carnival time here in Brazil so nothing is happening here work-wise. I'll be flying to South-Africa tomorrow to visit my relatives for a week. I might find a gap to try to better my times but just in case I don't...

Mazda6 Touring Car - 1'27.069
frmbuf006.png

Mazdaspeed Atenza '05 - 1'36.525
frmbuf005.png

Combined time - 3:03.594

I expect to see some much faster times than these so good luck everyone!
👍👍👍

Attachments

• Mazda6 Touring Car.zip
    53.7 KB · Views: 5
  • MazdaSpeed Atenza.zip
    108 KB · Views: 5
I'm currently on a 1'36.6 for the Atenza and a 1'27.7 for the Mazda6.

I'm hoping to get a bit more time to run at the weekend but can't see more than .5 improvement on either one. It's getting the right rhythm on the second and last sectors that I need to work on I think...

Back