GTP WTAC Week 59 : Galant Explorations (1970-1989)

• Thread starter Detroitbb
  • 58 comments
GTP WTAC Week 59 : Galant Explorations (1970-1989)

*** For week 59, we explore two models of the Mitsubishi brand - the Galant. The first car was sold in Japan as the Mitsubishi Colt, but this particular car we'll be using is the first one to be given the name 'Galant'. It was purposely influenced by American muscle cars and expected to be Mitsubishi's entry for Grand Prix racing. When GP racing stopped for the OPEC oil embargo of 1973, the Galant GTO was put into action as a rally racer. It was actually quite successful on the dirt & snow in the 1970s. The GTO name only appeared on this model... until the Mitsubishi GTO (sold as the Mitsubishi 3000GT outside of Japan) was released in 1990. We'll do a proper examination of the 90's 3000GT/GTO's in the future. The second Galant (the VR-4) was based on the sixth-generation Galant and featured a new two-liter engine and 4WD transmission (both of these would be put into the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution a few years later and would stay in that iconic car for 15 years). The Galant VR-4 would be Mitsubishi's WRC car from 1988 until 1992 (when the Lancer Evo took over), so this was also a successful rally racer too. The Galant is still being made to this day - that's over 40 years of continuous production! ***

1. Track : Opera Paris (reverse)

picture.php

2. Cars : Mitsubishi Galant GTO MR '70 & Mitsubishi Galant 2.0 DOHC Turbo VR-4 '89

800pxmitsubishigalantgt.jpg
l
mitsubishigalant20dohct.jpg

IMPORTANT ! This is a combined times challenge: you'll need to run both cars; rankings will be made based on your combined times.

----------------

3. Cars specifics:

- Transmission: either
- Tires: S2 / S2
- TCS : at your disposal
- ASM : off
- Active Steering : off
- Driving Physics : Professional

All in-game quick-tune options are at your disposal (Press Triangle when selecting your car to add the car to your favorites and tinker with any available settings).

Hybrid cars, the use of CFW tuning or any other way of cheating (such as the Action Replay for PSP) is forbidden...

--------------------

4. Duration of the challenges : this challenge will start Monday July 4th 4:00 pm GMT+2 and will end Monday July 11th 3:59 pm GMT+2 (one week !)

--------------------

5. Time submission :

You'll have to post your Ghost Replay Data + Photo before Monday July 11th 3:59 pm GMT+2. If you miss the deadline, your laptimes won't be in the website.

--------------------

6. Rules :

You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) ! Just to remind you :
Clean or Dirty lap :
- Colliding with or using walls, fences, cones or other obstacle is forbidden. All times submitted must be 100% wall free.

- NO SPARKS! (this does not include 'bottoming' the car out on the tarmac or rumble strips; but does include walls/barriers)

- 'City course rules' apply... you can use the whole track; just don't hit the walls!

--------------------

7. LeaderBoards

The leaderboards will be on the website

--------------------

8. Current session points leaders:

Place - Competitor - Points

1st #l-l Dan360######.l23
2nd #-l pvr77########19
3rd #l-l Detroitbb#####)17
4th #l-l MVR08#######l14#
small_up_arrow.gif

5th #l-l vaughan#####$l11#
small_down_arrow.gif

6th #l-l red ice######l$$8

----------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------

:gtpflag:

Last edited:
I must admit, that after 5 laps, I liked the reverse layout of Opera Paris than the forward layout. Just feels more dynamic.

Initial times.
Galant '70 --1'51.xxx
Galant '89 --1'41.xxx

I dont race Paris alot, but I might focus myself this week on the galant '70 first. hope to chop off 1 second until tomorrow morning!

I almost feel bad about not including a rally track for this challenge (considering that both cars were noteworthy in rally racing)!

front bumper and with guider line on................sigh, I cannot drop it. Perhaps it's the cause that I still cannot find the braking point.

for me, when driving an unfamiliar car around unknown corners, its all about trial and alot of error the first couple laps

front bumper and with guider line on................sigh, I cannot drop it. Perhaps it's the cause that I still cannot find the braking point.

Honestly I think the guide is ok whenever racing in unfamiliar territory. I turn it off on tracks which I'm already familiar so that I can experiment on different racing lines.
As for the view, I find the front bumper view too hard especially on tracks with too many guard rails. When I first joined WTAC, I was using that view but changed to overhead cam, so that I can see the corners better.

for me, when driving an unfamiliar car around unknown corners, its all about trial and alot of error the first couple laps

Welcome! to WTAC ninjaskull. :) kinda reminds me of ninja scroll back in the 90s.

Sorry guys, I haven't touched the PSP since I have the GT5 in hands :embarrassed: ... I have to say red ice you were right : it is so nice cool comfy here that it feels weird to write a message on the GT5 forum !!!

About the website, I am shamefully late, have to update it !

Front bumper for me too, no guider line. How to drop it : 3x3laps arcade races (without guider line) to focus on being faster than the others and pushing the car, 10 laps time trial without to find my own marks -even if I go off road, no restart, keep on-, 5 laps with to see where I was right and where I wasn't, then without...

Welcome 👍👍👍 !

My theory is that guys who use the bumper cam react quicker as the view's perception pf speed is faster than any other view. But of course, sir L-F uses the overhead cam and still is fast so I think its just a way of getting used to.

For me its the bumper cam, just feels like its easier to tell what the car is doing and where exactly the nose is pointing.

Like red ice, I use the roof/overhead cam. It's a bit higher than I'd prefer, but it gives me a better view of the track. I used to use the front bumper camera, but was persuaded by Glubags to give the roof cam a shot. I've used it ever since...

New times -

Galant GTO: 1'47.9xx

Galant VR-4: 1'38.7xx

The VR-4 totally feels like driving a Lancer!

Front bumper for me too, no guider line. How to drop it : 3x3laps arcade races (without guider line) to focus on being faster than the others and pushing the car, 10 laps time trial without to find my own marks -even if I go off road, no restart, keep on-, 5 laps with to see where I was right and where I wasn't, then without...
Thanks for your guide, I will try it. And welcome back, easy:)

WTAC Competitors: I just realized that I failed to make a note of this track and our rules. Since this is a 'city course', we are allowed to use the whole track (you can ignore the rumble strips) - just don't hit the walls and create sparks! I am sorry for not making the change and announcing it when the thread was first created.

1'46.9xx with the Galant GTO

1'38.4xx with the Galant VR-4

As red ice mentioned earlier, I also like the reverse layout of Opera Paris better than the forward version.

👍

WTAC Competitors: I just realized that I failed to make a note of this track and our rules. Since this is a 'city course', we are allowed to use the whole track (you can ignore the rumble strips) - just don't hit the walls and create sparks! I am sorry for not making the change and announcing it when the thread was first created.

noted.
👍
current time with the Galant '70
1'48.xxx unclean

Hey all, I haven't been here in a while. Just saying that there was pretty bad stuff happening in the family and I had to go away for a while. But I'm back, it's all behind me now, and hopefully I'll stop dodging it one day and actually record a time.

Hey all, I haven't been here in a while. Just saying that there was pretty bad stuff happening in the family and I had to go away for a while. But I'm back, it's all behind me now, and hopefully I'll stop dodging it one day and actually record a time.

Welcome back!

Fantastic, the more the merrier!

I only have a time with the GTO VR-4 - 1'38.1xx... no time to play. :ouch:

Last edited:

👍👍👍

Fantastic, the more the merrier!

I only have a time with the GTO - 1'38.1xx... no time to play. :ouch:

Amazing! I'm behind by 10seconds! I'm never ever gonna beat you with that initial time.

Last edited:
👍👍👍

Amazing! I'm behind by 10seconds! I'm never ever gonna beat you with that initial time.

Sorry red ice, I made a typo. Its actually my time with the Gallant VR-4 - 1'37.8xx

My other time is 1'45.9xx with the GTO.

Back