GTP_Hun's Endurance Career.**COMPLETED**

• Thread starter Hun200kmh
  • 150 comments
Portugal
Lisboa
FLAT_TWELVE
Being a Endurance Racing fan (in real life and in gaming) but also a married guy with kids that cannot aford the luxury of keeping the PS3 all to himself, and blocked away from everyone else in the house, I have been longing for the save feature that Spec II finally gave us.

During Spec I was able to do the litle races + the Tsukuba 4 hours (writeup of this one here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=199272 )

After I got Spec II I decided to go for the other Endurance Events and I have already made both 4 Hour races, the Indy 500, the Suzuka 1000, and am doing now the Tsukuba 9 Hours.

I don't pretend to be doing here full writeups, nor do I have the talent and attention to detail I see elsewhere. My aim is simpler, I want to share what I think is essential for a good racing experience in these long races.

So, if your plan is to overpower the AI and field the X2010 or X2011 whenever possible, this thread is of no use to you.

I care about: AI pace. AI strategy. My pace. My strategy. And I want to feel the sweet taste of victory (make no mistake, I'm not masochistic), but i want to feel the need to drive skillfully to get it.

So, here's my experience shared for all that may want to read. I'll start by a quick recap of what I've done so far, and then will write about the ongoing Tsukuba 9 hours. My plan is to keep this thread updated up to the finish of both 24 hour races.

Again, these are not Race Reports. Just a few random notes of what I think might be useful/worthy of mention.

1. Endurance Career so far

a) Tsukuba 4 Hours - Did it in Spec I (came 2nd, see thread linked above) and again in Spec II (won it).

Noticeable differences were these:
1. My tires (SH) lasted longer;
2. Lead AIs are more competent at overtaking/lapping the field.

No problems whatsoever with the supposed "Tsukuba Save" glitch. Then again, I follow the rules :D

My advices for an interesting race:

1. pick a Miata that allows YOU to lap no better than 1'09 in the best conditions. If possible, use the clutch and H-Shifter, no ABS too.

2. You should save your tires and aim for a four-stint race (one per hour), but that's pushing it, you can literally lose the time gained in many laps of skilled driving/racing with just ONE off. My advice is ... 5 stints (45 to 50 minutes each)!

b) Nurburgring 4 Hours - This is the race that probably has the most detailed information available here in gtplanet, thanks mainly to the methodic and in-depth analysis and race reports made by the Administrator Famine and other gtplanet members. I did the race myself before I was aware of that thread and so, without knowing what I was going to face, I used Kaz's GT-R (car that was given to us with Spec II).

Therefore,

I don't have much to say about this race, the car I picked was an easy drive, maybe too easy and with fresh tires I had clearly the fastest car of the race (my best lap around the 8 minute 40+) . In my race the lead AIs were lapping around the 9 minute-mark, and this should be the most important info for you when you pick the car suited for this race.

One important thing to know is what Famine discovered about the AI field. You can either get a Field spoiled by a "rabbit car" (Audi R8 LMS or S2000 Turbo) or you can get a field that is very even between all AIs. Of course you should aim for the latter, it's better to battle a few cars than have them as road blocks while you do battle with one single car. If anyone reading this is interested in doing this race I strongly recommend a read of the mentioned thread. If you guys think I like hard enduros you'll be amazed at the reports you see there LOL

(I may consider going back to this race just to get my name in those leaderboards, but for now I'm doing a clean sweep of the enduros, and my aim is to reach the 24 hours races with enough knowledge to make them fun, not a chore)

Best Nurb 4H thread : https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=207993

Again, and back to my "amateur" approach, just one advice valid to all enduros, but especially valid in this very long track. Don't think of pitting only when your tires are almost going off. The time you lose by pitting one lap sooner will be nothing compared to a slow-limping lap around the Nordschleife, with a few spins and visits to the grass or sand along the way.

c) Indy 500 Miles - I don't know what made PD go for a LMP lineup for this race, when they have the Formula GT car and could very well create a "spec" race with it, like the true Indy is (spec Dallara/Hondas are the cars in IRL racing). It's totally unrealistic.

Anyway, no matter what you do, this race is boring. Won't ever touch it again. Went in with the 1999 Le Mans winner BMW, just changed the oil and put downforce to the max. Easy win. Bye bye.

PS - If you really want to do it (Jag XJ13 is the prize, and it's a sweet ride ) go for a car that allows no better than 0'44 per lap. Should be interesting, and do try to save the tyres, it does make a difference. Like this:

Button-style driving - 40 lap stints (you lose one second per lap, just slightly ease off the throttle in corner entry)

Hamilton-style driving - 32 lap stints (full throttle all the way, one second per lap faster)

d) Suzuka 1000 Kms - What a great race I had with this one. Went in with an outdated (and supposedly outpaced) JGTC car, the GT-R Pennzoil from 1999. No tweaking whatsoever, just an oil change and downforce maxxed (of course, driving with no ABS I also changed the odd 5/5 default brake balance to my usual 3/1.)

This is a race with 172 laps and at first I thought about doing 15 lap-stints, but soon found out that after the 13th lap I was out on the track just looking for trouble, be it Turn 1, Degner 1, Degner 2, Spoon or even 130R, before outbraking myself to Casio. It's just not worth the risk :lol:

What made my race memorable is that I never had an exact notion of what was going on. I knew who I was battling but even then, and to my amazement, it wasn't one AI, or two twin AIs close together doing the same thing. I was battling two formidable adversaries with two different strenghts:

1. The "flyer" - NSX TAKATA (the green one) - fastest car on track, he flew from the field at the beggining of the race (I remember thinking "... awww, sucks, another rabbit-car race ... ". Turns out he made his stints last too long, and used to lose a lot of time in the last few laps of each stint. That cost him.

2. The "pace-setter" - NSX RAYBRIG (the blue one). Not as quick as the TAKATA, he was however better strategy-wise. Meaning, he did shorter stints, and kept his pace more constant.

So, battling two cars that never pitted at the same time, and, as the race progressed, were not even close racing each other (or me, for that matter), was a race against the clock, against tire wear, against mistakes, against the gap shown on screen, always trying to figure out "WHO" was "WHERE" in the track map. One of us would win, it would depend solely on where/how we were doing in the last lap.

Turns out, I won (from lap 112 to lap 172 I followed a strict diet of 12-lap stints, didn't want any more scares), and the Raybrig NSX came second, after the Takata NSX pitted two laps before the end.

Generally speaking, anyone that wants to try this race should go for a car that allows a 2'04 lap in optimal conditions, maybe flirting with 2'03 with the help of draft. Taking a car to this race than allows you to lap faster than this is asking for boredom.

e) Tsukuba 9 Hours - Done and won, it was a great race, and a fantastic gaming experience. You have my full and detailed report of this race below in this page (post #14), please check it. If you don't fancy a long read, here my "closing words" from that writeup, a few suggestions directed to all that intend to do this race:

Hun200kmh
1. I don't suggest cars or setups or parts, whatever. Because each of us is different. What I suggest is the lap time you must achieve with whatever car you pick. And you must be able to achieve 0'59 at a minimum (time with fresh tires, half tank BUT no draft).

2. Before entering the race, buy ALL kinds of tires, so you have all options open during the full duration. You messed up badly? Next stint put better tires to get back in contention.

3. Use traffic to your advantage. But don't act stupid, or else the race will not feel real. I suggest you pick a lightweight car, don't care about power down the straight, cornering speed and the ability to outbrake those (yuck) heavy clumsy show off tuners will be your friends.

4. Plan your stints ahead, and do watch what are your main contenders doing, how long are their stints, etc. You MUST know, come the closing stages, if and when they still have to pit.

5.Don't abuse the tires. You lose about 50 seconds maximum with a visit to the pits. And even in this short track the difference between good and overused tires is well over 3 seconds. So, 10 laps more may cost you between 30 and 40 seconds. But they'll cost you more, believe me. Because worn out tires mean trouble. And by "trouble" I mean ... spinning out, understeering into the gravel, getting stuck in the armco .... You can wreck an entire stint of hard work with ONE of these. And they are sure to happen if you push your luck.

f) Nurburgring 24 Hours 1st attempt -Called "*Taking David Brabham's Panoz to a LMP fight*, I consider it one of my finest races.

Sadly, by the 13th our, while in the lead but under a lot of pressure due to a fundamental change in the race (atmospherically triggered), my home suffered a power failure and for whatever unexplainable reason the game on restart had lost the last save of the race.

The full write up of that race (and the preparation leading to it) is now placed in post #60

direct link to it: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6179816#post6179816

But I'd say the most important info you need is:

a) The grids are fixed. Hit start and quit, start and quit, start and quit a few times to check the grids the game offers you. Take notes of them and then compare. Some are better than others and they're ALWAYS the same. Apparently not the same to everyone (emmetbrown1955 got himself a grid that doesn't match any of my first TEN so I have to assume each game follows a different pattern). So ... find your own dream grid! ;)

b) There's no such thing as a good car to make the race exciting /challenging. Because I know people that lap faster than me, and people that lap slower than me. What you must go for is:
- A car that allows you to race close to the 8'00 in the dry.
- A car that is not a beast to drive, because consistency is key here and this is a very tiring race. If your car is fast, but you have to fight it to keep it on the black stuff for an entire lap ... pick another.
- A car that allows 3 easy laps (dry) and a 4th if needed Some cars "eat" their tires, and that's not good.

c) If your tires are already below half-bar at the start of a lap, it is likely that two things will happen:
1. They'll be completely worn out before that lap ends;
2. You will visit the grass, spin. hit the barriers, etc, at least once in that lap. If not more times.
Don't push your luck. My advice? PIT.

That's it, good luck!

g) Nurburgring 24 Hours 2nd attempt -Called "*Back with a Vengeance!*, because I lost my first attempt while leading, under unfortunate circumstances explained above.

This race was very different from the first one for a good number of reasons:

a) Mostly dry (only 4 hours of wet track)

b) I was more experienced, therefore faster and more consistent;

c) I had a good notion of where I was, where my foe was and most of all of where I needed to be to keep a chance of winning.

The full writeup of this race is now stored in post #84 of this thread, here a direct link to it:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6224171#post6224171

g) Le Mans 24 Hours -Called "*Settling Old Scores or The Return of the Long Tail*, because I used the beautiful and excellent LM racer developed by McLaren (and powered by BMW) as a Spec II of the Le Mans winner McLaren F1 (short tail). This car, developed to counter the likes of all the pure race cars disguised as GT (especially from Mercedes, Nissan, Toyota) was very successful, but never managed to win Le Mans.

This race was very different from the Nurburgring races. If you pick a slower car to face the LMPs you're in for a bit of trouble at the very high speed track. But if you pick an LMP yourself you will probably die of boredom litle after the first couple of hours.

There's a full report of my race in this thread (check the link below) but I will just give out what I think is most important to consider:

a) Your car must be able to reach at least 330 kmh without the help of draft (the Panoz would be helpless in this race)

b) Go with Race Softs, you'll need the grip to compensate speed;

c) Avoid cheating through corner cutting. Sadly it can be done in several sections of this track (notably the final chicanes) but it takes all enjoyment away.

d) Aim for a solid run of 3'35,000 laps (lead AIs do 3'30,000 or slightly better) and be smooth, you'll need to do longer stints then them. Try 11 laps, and never les than 10;

e) Check the grids the game offers you. They're ALWAYS the same. In my case, I raced the 11th grid, it's a handful.

f) Night racing isn't as difficult as in the Nurb, generally the track is very visible and didn't feel any problem finding the apexes in the dark;

Disclaimer: I had a 100% dry race, so can't give any advice for wet racing.

The full writeup of this race is now stored in post #121 of this thread, here a direct link to it:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6341303#post6341303

2. Endurance Career in progress

No race in progress currently.

3. Pictorial Tribute to my Endurance Champions

I
TSUKUBA 4 HOURS ROADSTER RACE WINNER

mazda_miata_yellow_1992.jpg

YELLOW MAZDA MIATA, NA VERSION

II
NURBURGRING 4 HOURS RACE WINNER

kaz-gtr-nuburgring.jpg

KAZUNORI'S NISSAN GT-R

III
INDY 500 RACE WINNER

800px-1999BMWV12LMR.jpg

BMW V12 LMR RACE CAR

IV
SUZUKA 1000 KMS RACE WINNER

NRR_GT9901.JPG

NISSAN SKYLINE GTR PENNZOIL RACE CAR

V
TSUKUBA 9 HOURS RACE WINNER

2004-Caterham-Superlight-R500-Evolution-FA-Track-1024x768.jpg

CATERHAM SUPER SEVEN

VI
NURBURGRING 24 HOURS RACE WINNER

30.jpg

PANOZ ESPERANTE GTR-1 RACE CAR

45-1.jpg

VII
LE MANS 24 HOURS RACE WINNER

McLaren-F1-GTR-Longtail_4.jpg

MCLAREN F1 GTR LONG TAIL RACE CAR

:gtplanet: :gtpflag:👍 !Thank you all! 👍 :gtpflag: :gtplanet:

Last edited:
Thank you Filipe! :)

Just added the Report on the FOURTH (3:30 to 5:10) and FIFTH (5:10 to 6:30) Stints of the Tsukuba 9 hours still in progress.

Some experiments made, I hope they'll be useful to others.

Nice report. I am having a similar race right now with the alfa romeo gulia TZ2 at the tsukuba 9 hours. Tried Sport softs first and lost a lap on the first stint. Recovered quickly using racing soft and will try racing hard on third stint.

"emmettbrown" as in ... the Doc? Great Scot, I didn't know you came back to the future to play GT5! ;)

The Alfa TZ is a nice pick also, light car, supposedly underpowered, I bet you also own the guys under braking and cornering. If you don't mind me asking, here a few questions:
a) who's the lead car in your race? What's his pace?
b) What is your pace and how long are your own stints?

Thanks!

Last edited:
"emmettbrown" as in ... the Doc?

The very same!

a) who's the lead car in your race? What's his pace?
b) What is your pace and how long are your own stints?

Thanks!

First of all: I am not that good of a driver. But I still wanted a challenge so don't frown upon my poor lap times.
I installed a stage 3 turbo.
SS: ~1:01-1:03 +mistakes
RS: 0:58-0:59.
I stayed out for an hour. with the RS. I could have done a few laps more but I had to take a break.
You can adjust the car to your driving skills by not installing the stage 3 turbo or using harder tire compounds.

I am a bit confused about who is in second place tbh since everyone just pitted and I passed the first place car in the pits. And now I suspended the race and am not at home right now. I will check when I resume the race.

In my book a good driver is the one that seeks challenges, not easy wins. :) And the 60's Alfa TZ is nowhere near a Caterham 500 so I'd say you picked a greater challenge than me.

The laps you're getting with the SS, if my own example is worth anything, are probably 1,5 to 2 seconds slower than what you might get with the RH. If you're going to use RH in your 3rd stint you'll check. Then, maybe, the most interesting race could be doen with a mix of RH and RM* or RH and RS, like in Formula 1 ;)

(*if you also have those available in the car. I did buy all types of tires before the race started to keep my options open during the race)

Great report!! So refreshing to read about someone having fun with GT5. Endurance races seem so boring, you have pointed out how exciting and enjoyable they can be!! Thanks!!

Hope you keep that 🤬 behind you! :)

I added my Sixth Stint report to the OP. It didn't go that well and only the combination of ... RH tires + the fact the S2000 still has to pit once ... will now allow me to keep fighting for the win.

Very interesting read! For me at least since I am doing the same race right now and I am experiencing similar situations. I posted the first part of my race report on my 9 hours in another thread.

Tsukuba 9 Hours Finished with a victory! :D

Last stint's report added to the OP!

I'll now rest for a bit, do some online racing with buddies and next week I'll mount my "attack" to the Nurburgring 24 hours ! To be reported in this thread, of course. 👍 :)

EDIT - I have moved the entire writeup of the Tsukuba 9 HOURS to this post, to make way for the current "race in progress" report on the OP.

Here you have it, hope some useful info can be found in it for anyone that decides to "have a go" at this race.

Hun200kmh's Tsukuba 9 Hours FULL REPORT
I was amazed to find that the lineup of AI cars is about the same as in the Nurburgring 4 Hours. Tuned cars (Amuse S2000, Mine's, NISMOs, HKS, that kind of mostly japanese cars, plus that orange tuned Audi TT and grey tuned VW Golf ) ... gotta say I would never ever drive such cars, nothing against, but I don't like'em :D

So ... I decided to attack all those ricers :D with a Caterham (no Morgans in the game, a Cat will do it nicely :sly: ).

I tuned it with everything I could, except those things that cannot be undone. Bought all kinds of tires between Sports Hard and Race Medium so I could adjust my pace with the AIs and decided to try a first stint with Racing Hard tires, to get the feel of things.

(of course, no aids, ABS off, clutch and H-Shifting to make it all fun, so I changed the brake bias to 3/1. All else was kept with default values)

And this is what I can tell you guys I experienced ... so far:

FIRST STINT . From 0:00 to 1:10

First, the Caterham is a HANDFUL :lol: , by the end of lap one I was dead last, after a few spins and scary moments.

I slowly got the hang of it and 5 laps in I was already getting to a steady pace with mistake-free laps. Anyone that wants to try this with a Cat should understand that 3rd gear is only needed when ... something went wrong :lol: because downshifting to 3rd gear will most likely make the rear wheels lock, unless some throttle input is kept on always.

Sooo ... (and this is good news for clutch + H-Shifters in an endurance race) ... a full lap around Tsukuba, including the hairpins, is made using only 4th and 5th gear. Even then, it gets tiring I assure you !

About pace, I got laps between 0'58 and 0'59. And, amazingly, my pace didn't drop much towards the end of the tires' life, as the subtitle above states, I did 70 minutes with them and by the very end I was still doing 1'01. I'd say I kept the sub-minute laps up to 50 minutes into the stint without much problems.

About AI's ... the lead cars were quicker than me at the beggining of the stint, but not by much.

They are much faster (because powerful) under acceleration and in the straights but the Cat definitely owns them under braking and in cornering speed and there resides my main advantage. Because ... Without the need to punt my way over them (don't like to do that, feels cheap) the fact is that I slice through slower traffic as a hot knife through butter. Annnnd ... The lead AIs don't. So, traffic is my friend in this race :D

One other important thing to keep in mind. Big, heavy, powerful cars in a Lego track like Tsukuba are, supposedly, a tire-nightmare. And I must say that, regarding this, the game doesn't tell lies. This is the first enduro so far where the AIs, all of them, pit before me.

Sooo ... come the 70th minute I have a very healthy lead (almost one full lap to 2nd placed car) and I head for the pits thinking "... this isn't good, I'm not going to walk 9 hours of this ..."

And I decided to switch from Racing Hard tires to ... Sports Hard tires :D

oh, btw, when the first hour arrived and I realized I had still tires to do a bit more I did my calculations and decided to go for 70 minute-stints up to the seventh hour, therefore scheduling my visits to the pits like this:

1:10
2:20
3:30
4:40
5:50
7:00
8:00

SECOND STINT - From 1:10 to 2:10

And off I went, with SH tires this time (like in F1, now I was using the harder compound :D ).

And it was a total disaster. My laps fell immediately to 1'05 (with no mistakes) and, having lost cornering speed, I only had the upper hand under braking. Not much use to it though because to outbrake someone you need to be close to him come the end of the straight ... something I wasn't able to do. Nevertheless, I gave them a hard time trying to overtake me and quickly a queue of cars formed (Gilles Villeneuve, Jarama 1981 anyone? :lol: ) I never side-swiped anyone, but I didn't follow the ONE MOVE rule. And sometimes I could get back the place under braking.

In any case, one hour later I had my tires completely worn out and I was TWO LAPS DOWN.

I limped back to the pits 10 minutes before the pre-scheduled time, thinking "... I just hope I didn't irreparably ruin this race ..."

So I switched to Racing Hard tires again.

And I'm not going to repeat the Sports Hard tires experiment :lol:

THIRD STINT - From 2:10 to 3:30

Well, after that dreadful experience, I was back at being the "star" of the race. Won't say much about this very long stint (1:20), but as was to be expected I didn't manage to recover all I had lost before. And although I consider myself proud of a very consistent & fast stint, almost error free, I went back to the pits ...

- in the lead lap, but ...
- in second place, and ...
- 45 seconds after the race-leader.

So, I'll go for these tires again for the 4th stint.

FOURTH STINT - From 3:30 to 5:10

Isn't it amazing ???? I just did a 1:40 long stint !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With a bloody Caterham !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I already knew I had the upper hand with RH tires and was pretty confident that I would recover the lead, so I decided to make an experiment in this stint. As I wrote before, it really makes a difference to take care of the tires (see the Indy 500 notes above) so, seeing that my previous stint lasted 1h20 I went for very conservative, careful kind of driving, trying to stretch the stint and find its absolute limit.

Therefore, this time I was lapping at a constant pace in the mid 0'59 (previous stint was in the '58 up to the point the tires started degrading).

And, seeing that I managed 1h40 with these tires (could go a litle more, but fuel was critically close to zero already) I had the time and opportunity to notice two things:

1. The lead AI (Amuse S2000) pits every 50 minutes and his pace varies a lot more than mine during his entire stint. I suppose he laps well in the 0'56 in the first 15 minutes, then it goes down up to the last laps where he surely laps above 1'00.

2. What I did is not worth it, and there's no need to be called Ross Brawn to find that out. I stayed out 20 minutes more than in the previous stint, but I lapped at about 1 second slower per lap. So, I lost more than 100 seconds out on the track, to save myself a visit to the pits that would cost me between 40 and 60 seconds (depending on the amount of fuel I put in).

About the race, I ended this stint one lap and a few seconds ahead of 2nd place, but I was in for a long pit visit, because I was rolling on fumes and I needed a lot of fuel. That's time costly.

Time to try ... something different again. This time it will be Sports Soft tires ;)

FIFTH STINT - From 5:10 to 6:30

Ok, so what do we know thus far regarding tires/pace:

RH tires - allowed the GTP_Hun/Caterham combo to lap consistently at 0'58. And can last, even being pushed, 1h20.

SH tires - allow the same driver/car combo to lap consistently at 1'05. Since less grip also meant more overall sliding and more mistakes (a few spins and offroad excursions, also bad for tires), these tires are only good for 1 hour stints.

Keeping in mind that the lead AIs are, pace-wise, almost even with my RH pace (have better starts but worse ends of their stints), but lose more time with traffic, what will happen if I use SS tires??

Well ... all things considered, I lost time to them in this stint, but not much. I'd say this is probably the best choice for a thrilling challenge with an unpredictable end.

Pace - 0'59 in the best conditions, slowly degrading to 1'01 before thetires give up completely.

Stint duration - They are good tires and apparently, GT5 is bugged in the sense that tire wear depends more on how much sliding we do than on how soft is the rubber. So, these Soft Sports last longer than Hard Sports. I managed a 1h20 stint with no particular problems.

What happened to the race -

I left the pits after losing almost 1 minute because I had to put in a lot of fuel. That meant that I had 2nd placed car about 10 seconds behind me but, after recovering one full lap, he was in my lap.

Remember, he pits every 50 minutes so he had pitted not long before (0:50 - 1:40 - 2:30 - 3:20 - 4:10 - 5:00) and would only pit again at circa 5:50.

So he got me after 10 laps.

Then I managed to keep him behind me for about 20 more, in a very exciting battle (I was fair all the time, he only had a chance at the back straight and usually got in front but I would outbrake him and recover again).

Then he overtook me and staretd to distance himself at a 1 seconds per lap rate.

Then he caught traffic, I closed in again and regained the lead.

Then we got free air and he closed in on me for a second time.

Repeat the battle

Then I DO A MISTAKE and off he went building a lead that reached about 14 seconds.

But then he pitted (5:50, as expected), and rejoined the track some 50 seconds behind me.

Between that and my own pit window (40 minutes) he recovered about 30 seconds (traffic helped me a lot)

And so I pitted at 6:30 with him 20 seconds behind.

I'm going to use SS tires again :D If all goes wrong in the next stint (that should end close to the 8:00 mark and be the penultimate), I'll attack the last stint with RH tires, hoping it'll be enough :D

SIXTH STINT - From 6:30 to 7:45

SS tires fitted, some fuel added, I hit the track again in 2nd place, about 30+ seconds behind the leader.

6:30 - I resume at a pace between 0'59,5xx and 1'00 flat. And I'm not losing time (or gaining) to the leader, but I know he is close to his own pitting so his tires are way past their prime.

6:45 - And indeed, after about 15 minutes the race leader pits (he was about 20 seconds in front of me, no traffic to help me but his last laps were clearly slower than mine so I did recover about 10 seconds).

I get the lead back, and by about 50 seconds, almost a full lap (don't understand what happened, but his pitstop was more time-costly than usual).

Then he starts to catch me, again I didn't have traffic to help me and I was already doing steady 1'00,5xx laps while he was clearly lapping at 0'58 lows (or even below 0'58, not sure).

7:15 - The fact is ... My lead got eaten surprisingly fast, I'd say that 30 minutes after his pitting I was already seeing him in my rear view mirror, a few, maybe 3 or 4, seconds behind.

Then - at last - we hit traffic! What a relief, I didn't gain much but at least his recovery rate didn't continue, in fact it was stalled because I managed to overtake the Mine's Skyline (fresh out of the pits) and although I couldn't distance myself from him, the truth was that also my S2000 "rival" wasn't able to overtake him.

7:30 - This standoff lasted up to 7:30 (these 15 minutes were great fun, the three of us "pack-racing" lap, after lap, after lap ... ) when I noticed that the S2000 was already struggling to keep up and in fact was slowly losing touch with my Mine's follower.

7:35 - S2000 finally pits, and resumes the race some 50 seconds behind me (again, almost a full lap). Again, he resumed is devilishly quick speed and 10 mintes later my lead was down to 25 seconds !!!!! Must be said that I was lapping over 1'01 by now ... still the Mine's chasing me and trying to overtake me ... almost 30 minutes of this made me suffer, and made my tires wear out faster than expected.

7:44 - I had planned to do a 1:20 stint again, but it wasn't to be. 1:15 into the stint, and trying to outbrake and regain position to the MIne's at the end of the back straight (where he had overtaken me, like he had done for so many laps) my poor tired Caterham understeered heavily and I paid a visit to the outside area of the track, all the way through the grass, I hit the barriers, the car spins ... clutch + H shifter don't seem to want to cooperate while I try to re-engage a gear .... all in all a 🤬 DISASTER!!!!

I regained the track right in front of the S2000, but by then I was a sitting duck against him in fresh tires. So he got the lead back from me between the first corner and the hairpin, and off he went, nothing I could do.

So ...

7:45 - I cut the stint short, and entered the pits, already about 4 seconds behind the leader. This is BAD news, I'll probably enter this last stint almost one lap down to the leader.

But don't matter. This time I'll fit RH tires and I don't plan to stop again until the chequered flag, while my S2000 foe will still have to pit once.

If I don't do anything stupid, it is my duty, and it is within my reach, to win this race.

And winning it is the plan. :D

SEVENTH STINT - From 7:45 to 9:00

Beforehand, let me state that last night I was faced with a prompt to update my game to version 2.01. And I had no idea about what would happen to my 2.00 Save if I tried o load it into a 2.01 game. Especially knowing that the pit glitch was one of the issues adressed and that my game was saved ... in pit lane entry.

So, I decided agaisnt updating the game, and remained offline.

Only to experience, for the first time, the (in)famous glitch. Can't understand why it happened, I had pitted exactly the same way as many times before, but this time no prompt popped up for fuel or tires, AI took the car for a drive though and handed it back to me. "Ok" I thought, the challenge just got tougher, I must have made something wrong and got a penalty for it.

So I did another lap, and pitted again. This time it became obvious that my game was indeed "glitched", this was no penalty. Because ... I kept control of the car in the pit lane. And of course, no prompt about fuel/tires showed up.

This second time I became really worried, I had almost 8 hours of driving behind me ...

So I paused the game, pressed the central button of the DS3, and in the XMB I quit the game.

Note: I'm not entirely crazy, I knew, from previous testing, that this procedure would allow me to resume the race in the previous saved point.

I loaded the game again, refused to upgrade it to V 2.01 again, and the race loaded one more time. And VOILÁ , this time everything went according to plan and I was prompted to choose the tires and how much fuel to add. Fewwwwwwwwww .... :dopey:

So, I went for RH tires and added 40 liters, just to be safe.

7:35 - Left the pits a few seconds ahead of the S2000, but still in his lap.

And I made a run for it. I guess by now I'm very familiar with the car, the track, how to overtake the AIs, etc, so I really did an excellent first 30 minutes, with a handful (maybe 5) of fastest laps that made me, in the best of them, visit the 0'57,8xx mark, a time achieved with the help of draft I got from an AI backmarker in the back straight!

During this period I recovered about 30 seconds to the leader and therefore was still second, but now only about 20 seconds behind him (Gotta say my "effort" had a price, a greater than usual wear of my tires ...)

8:20 - S2000 pits, for what was to be his last time! I regain the lead, by very nearly 40 seconds.

Now the roles are reversed. I can't afford to pit, I have still 40 minutes of racing to do, my tires have taken a beating and my rival is giving it all, with fresh tires.

Curiously, I don't think traffic was a relevant factor for what happened during these 40 minutes. I would lie if I said I was too nervous (I wasn't) but I would also lie if I said I was totally comfortable (I wasn't). The S2000 kept recovering, but very slowly and at a rate I could consider admissable.

Anyway, I kept a good pace between the 0'59 and the 1'00 mark up to the last 10 minutes

8:50 - From this moment on, my tires really were struggling, and my laptimes became slower, within 1'01 and 1'02. The S2000 didn't show signs of slowing his own pace and his charge started to become menacing.

8:59 - S2000 is now less than 8 seconds behind. This meant two things. First, I couldn't afford a mistake. Second, we did together one almost full lap after the 9:00 mark because I crossed the line at 8:59,50 and he crossed it just before the chequered flag (8:59,57'xxx).

9:00 (plus a few more seconds) - I WON !!!!!!! By 6,5 seconds !!!!!!!! After 9 HOURS and 528 LAPS !!!!!!!!

:gtpflag: :gtplanet: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :gtplanet: :gtpflag:

CLOSING WORDS

For anyone interested in doing this race:

1. I don't suggest cars or setups or parts, whatever. Because each of us is different. What I suggest is the lap time you must achieve with whatever car you pick. And you must be able to achieve 0'59 at a minimum (time with fresh tires, half tank BUT no draft).

2. Before entering the race, buy ALL kinds of tires, so you have all options open during the full duration. You messed up badly? Next stint put better tires to get back in contention.

3. Use traffic to your advantage. But don't act stupid, or else the race will not feel real. I suggest you pick a lightweight car, don't care about power down the straight, cornering speed and the ability to outbrake those (yuck) heavy clumsy show off tuners will be your friends.

4. Plan your stints ahead, and do watch what are your main contenders doing, how long are their stints, etc. You MUST know, come the closing stages, if and when they still have to pit.

5.Don't abuse the tires. You lose about 50 seconds maximum with a visit to the pits. And even in this short track the difference between good and overused tires is well over 3 seconds. So, 10 laps more may cost you between 30 and 40 seconds. But they'll cost you more, believe me. Because worn out tires mean trouble. And by "trouble" I mean ... spinning out, understeering into the gravel, getting stuck in the armco .... You can wreck an entire stint of hard work with ONE of these. And they are sure to happen if you push your luck.

I hope this writeup will be useful to anyone who reads it and wants to try this race.

As for me, I'll move on to the Nurb 24 Hours soon (will leave Le Mans for last. Unlike what the game design makes us believe, I think the 24 hours of Le Mans are the PINNACLE of Endurance Racing, and therefore I'll save it for last.)

Until I figure out how to "attack the 24 H at the Nurb (I need some rest, and my family some attention :) ), I'll leave this post as it is now. Still savouring a 9 hour-race win :D

Last edited:
Wow. Sounds like an intense last stint! A victory by six seconds, don't know if I would have kept calm enough to win the race.
Also very interesting that you can quit the race and resume from the last save point! It pretty much means you can try again when you mess up (kind of like the Forza rewind feature). I was asking myself since endurance saving was introduced whether this works (didn't try it myself. d'oh).

Thanks! I must say that I don't think we should quit the race when faced with a mess up that is our own fault.

(disclaimer: This is what I think to myself, I'm not a "hollier than though" kind of guy, this is only a game and people should enjoy it the way they see fit, it's not an issue for me).

In this case, however, I have no problems with what I did to my own race. At first I even thought it was my fault (not knowing what I could've done wrong) and didn't think of quitting the game/reloading the save. But when I did another lap and returned to the pits I was faced with the oddity that not only I wasn't prompted to change tires and add fuel, but I also kept control of the car inside the pitlane. So, if the game was glitched I had no other chance than to try "reload". Thankfully it worked.

Ironically, this probably wouldn't have happened if I had accepted to update the game, but I didn't want to take the risk of loading a 2.00 save into the 2.01 game.

Beware, it's not quitting "the race" and I don't know if quitting "the race" will allow a reload. I quit the game entirely, with race paused, using the XMB.

No one in their sane mind would argue that you won illegitemately when you were experiencing this frustrating glitch. BTW I updated to 2.01 while my endurance race had been suspended without issues.

next week I'll mount my "attack" to the Nurburgring 24 hours ! :)

Good luck for that! Since I just turned Lvl 40 (thanks to winning Tsukuba 9h) I am planning to do the 24h at the Nürburgring as well. I just drove one lap with the GT-R R35 TC (DLC), equipped with a stage 3 turbo, and annihilated the competition, although not driving well at all. So an LMP car does not seem to be obligatory to win the race. I doubt that a Caterham will do this time, though :sly:
Maybe I will try a DTM or GT500 car or one of the classic race cars 330 P4, Mark IV, XJ13.

Avoid the'69 GT40 (Gulf livery) it's a tire eater. Still have to pick a car too, I'll do some testing tomorrow .

OK, I'm already working on my next race: the Nurburgring 24 Hours.

First thing I need is to pick a car. And, for my own "go" at this race, I want a car that fits in with the ones the AI fields.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It is a pity that GT5 re-created a race that exists in real life and didn't do it properly. Same as in Indy, it would be very easy to do so, based on the cars the game has. Anyway, this is the game we have to play and we'll pklay it by the rules set out by PD. Le Mans cars at the Nurb 24? That's just wrong (but at least it has happened in history, I guess the real blasphemy happens at the GT5 iteration of the Indy 500).

But so be it, I'll pick a Le Mans racer.

And that's where the problems begin. I am not a guy to brag about how skilled I am (or am not :lol: ) but I have no doubt of my superiority against AIs. Be it in raw speed, be it in strategy calls, be it in racecraft (AIs have overtaking issues :D ). So to have a real challenging race, and not a 24-Hour long time trial with occasional traffic I need to pick a car that is not as strong as the best AIs. Like it happened in the Tsukuba 9 hours, I need a car that is never as fast as they are when fresh out of the pits. Still, I need a car that'll keep me in contention.

Therefore, and according to my self-imposed rules, I need a:

a) Le Mans Racer (historically true if possible, but any "LM-Spec" car, even a concept one, is eligible);
b) Not as fast as the best LMPs
c) But not helplessly slower too

Last night, I tried this car I do love very much ever since the GT3 days, maybe because of its uglyness :D

45-1.jpg

Oil Change and RM Tires because I know I'll be seriuosly handicapped on speed, I entered it for a test run.

And ... did a 8:45 in the first lap, 8:22 in the second. By then I was 50 seconds off the leader :indiff: that's too much and to top it I noticed my tire wear after two laps was indicative that this car needs 3 lap stints.

(side note: I felt the urge to throw a few punches at a PD billboard when I noticed that this race had a rabbit car and that this rabbit car was a ... TOYOTA 7 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! REALLYYYYYYY PD? A car without headlights is on the grid for a 24 HOUR RACE !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I can't believe Kaz himself, with his supposed attention to detail, is aware of this! Because if he is ... his attention to detail is indeed only in "supposed" mode ... )

Oh and btw, I fell inlove with the engine sound of the Panoz, I'm really pushing to go with it. Maybe a better Turbo helps?

Further testing needed ...

Stay tuned :)

PS - Any help will be appreciated and welcome. I need to know AI pace and the length (and duration) of AI stints. Oh and I noticed already that the AI fields are always the same, like Famine (think it was him) discovered in the 4 Hour race. Don't have my notes at hand but when I do I'll post my findings. The way I see it the second grid is (not perfect but) the best, with 7 LMPs, and NO TOYOTA 7 ! :yuck:

Last edited:
Ok, I'm sorry for the double post but I think this is significant enough to deserve a new post. If I'm wrong, any mod feel free to merge this with the post before.

I have my notes about the Nurb 24 Hours AI fields. I checked TWICE and, indeed, they are always the same, at least in my system and up to the 6th grid. So, here they are (car names aren't probably complete and may show some inaccuracies, I only wrote down what allowed me to be sure what cars they were):

1st field

1. GT by Citroen Race Car
2. R8 LMS Race Car
3. Zonda LM Race Car
4. Ford GT LM Race Car
5. Lister Storm V12 Race Car
6. McLaren F1 GTR Race Car
7. THAT'LL BE YOU
8. R8 LMS Race Car (Playstation)
9. DUNLOP Blitz ER34
10. Corvette C5R Race Car
11. Audi R10 TDI Race Car
12. Peugeot 905 Race Car

Comment: Meh ... Only true Le Mans "big guns" the Audi, the BMW and the Peugeot in the top category ... 3 cars, no fun.

2nd field

1. DUNLOP Blitz ER34
2. Mercedes CLK LM Race Car
3. Courage C60 Peugeot Race Car
4. McLaren F1 GTR Race Car
5. Mazda 787B Race Car
6. Toyota GT-ONE Race Car
7. THAT'LL BE YOU
8. Corvette C5R Race Car
9. Audi R8 Race Car (Playstation)
10. Audi R8 Race Car
11. Jaguar XJ13 Race Car
12. Lister Storm V12 Race Car

Comment: Much, much better! ... Merc, Pesky, McLaren, 787B, GT One, and 2 x Audi R8 ... that's 7 TRUE BIG LE MANS RACERS. 7 cars ... looks like fun, although we can't be sure one of them isn't a "rabbit".

3rd field

1. Audi R8 LMS Race Car
2. DUNLOP Blitz ER34
3. Ford GT LM Race Car
4. Toyota GT-ONE Race Car
5. Dodge Viper Oreca Race Car
6. Corvette C5R Race Car
7. THAT'LL BE YOU
8. BMW V12 LMR Race Car
9. Zonda LM Race Car
10. Nissan R390 GT1 Race Car
11. Lister Storm V12 Race Car
12. Audi R8 Race Car

Comment: Better than first, worse than 2nd! Pity we can't put them all together, the BMW and the Nissan showed up for the first time here ... anyway, those two, the GT One and the R8 are too few to make me interested in this field.

4th field

1. McLaren F1 GTR Race Car
2. Nissan R390 GT1 Race Car
3. Audi R8 LMS Race Car
4. Audi R10 TDI Race Car
5. Jaguar XJ 220 LM Race Car
6. Bentley Speed 8 Race Car
7. THAT'LL BE YOU
8. Mazda 787B Race Car
9. Audi R8 LMS Race Car (Playstation)
10. Lister Storm V12 Race Car
11. Audi R8 Race Car
12. GT by Citroen Race Car

Comment: Seeing this one I understood that I would NEVER have my dream grid. They're just too many awesome cars to pick from, and although the field is ridiculously small PD still wants several classes racing. I can understand that, but it comes with a price. Anyway ... cars I want to race, in this field, are just 6 (McLaren, Nissan, Audis R8 and R10, Bentley, Mazda), so 2nd field keeps being the best so far.

5th field

1. TOYOTA 7 Race Car
2. Jaguar XJ13 Race Car
3. Mazda 787B Race Car
4. Ford Falcon V8 RAce Car
5. Chaparral 2J Race Car
6. Audi R8 LMS Race Car
7. THAT'LL BE YOU
8. Mercedes CLK LM Race Car
9. Zonda LM Race Car
10. Audi R10 TDI Race Car
11. GT by Citroen Race Car
12. Lister Storm V12 Race Car

Comment: This is ridiculous. No further comment needed.

6th field

1. TOYOTA GT One Race Car
2. Bentley Speed 8 Race Car
3. Audi R10 TDI Race Car
4. BMW V12 LMR Race Car
5. Dodge Viper Oreca Race Car
6. Audi R8 Race Car
7. THAT'LL BE YOU
8. Jaguar XJ13 Race Car
9. Audi R8 LMS Race Car
10. Chaparral 2J Race Car
11. TOYOTA 7 Race Car
12. Ford GT LM Race Car

Comment: Hey, a field WITHOUT the good old LISTER (a car I love btw, but I need to keep it real ... maybe others can, but I can't win with that car). Anyway, it started good, but ended terribly.

SO ... considering that these are the first 6 griuds I get, that they're ALWAYS the same and that I don't think I'm willing to look any further ... I'll go with the second grid.

I'd really, REALLY like to know if these grids are the same for all GT5 players in the world, or if there are any differences. Thank you! :)

Last edited:
Good luck with the race Mario, i'm about to start my 7th hour.

After i complete this race, i'll post my endurance career resume.

The GTR TC is a great car for this. I went with a grade 2 turbo (kept racing hards) and is only a minute ahead of the Audi' 01 (fastest lmp) after 7 hours, running 7'55's to 8'00 on RH. Best is 1:52. Lapped GT-ONE though.

The race started last night with the second grid, after a short last practise session using the first grid. To keep this thread in some kind of order, I removed from the OP the detailed report of the Tsukuba 9 HOUR race and placed it in the post where I reported having finished the race.

So, the OP is only for a quick reference of races completed, and the detailed report of the event (in each moment) being raced.

Therefore, the Nurburgring 24 Hours stint-by-stint report will, until completion of that race, be posted in the OP.

Later today I'll post about the first stint.

Good start, but when the rain eases off, the R8's, especially the '01, will start to eat into your lead.;)

Yeah .... that car almost erased all my lead in the wet in this second stint !! I think I'm doomed ... :ill: :ill: :ill:

Btw, second stint reported in the OP :)

@Hun200kmh
I must say that it's extremely interesting to read your thread. It makes me want to start an endurance of my own.👍
I salute your approach on the Tsukuba 9 Hours. Good stuff!
I'll be checking up on your progress at the Ring. Good luck with that.

I understand you are still on intermediates and it's still raining? If the Audis really prove to be too fast you can always change to RS tires. They are faster than the intermediates even in wet conditions, if i'm not mistaken. Or is grip reduction set to "real" in the N24h race?

Latest Posts

Back