GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 101 : Baby Monsta

• Thread starter EDK
  • 142 comments
I don't know if it makes much difference, but I changed my wheels. I couldn't see any reference to this in the OP, but the car did an update as I left the GT auto shop, so it must have changed something. Have I done something wrong? :guilty:

SirAlanClive
I don't know if it makes much difference, but I changed my wheels. I couldn't see any reference to this in the OP, but the car did an update as I left the GT auto shop, so it must have changed something. Have I done something wrong? :guilty:

It's allowed, in all events where tuning is allowed.

Welcome to WRS :cheers:.

iSidious
You shouldn't have met another car if you had a 1'30.2xx on your last lap, it is only your last lap time you should be posting. :confused:

Unless you meant that you had already ruined the run before the last lap.

Uh oh, I misread the op, thought we were posting best lap, not last lap.

Sorry Kev.

Edit: Actually, the lap I posted is my last lap.

Last edited:
It's allowed, in all events where tuning is allowed.

Welcome to WRS :cheers:.

Thanks mate. Got to say this is the most fun I've had out of GT5 in a long time. Big thanks to the guys who make this happen! 👍

A question to the powers that be...I see some of the times on the leaderboard are brown. These look like good times for the class of driver involved. Are they 'better than expected' leading to potential promotions? If so, is there any way to work out one's own 'better than expected' time? I want to make mine brown! :D

SirAlanClive
Thanks mate. Got to say this is the most fun I've had out of GT5 in a long time. Big thanks to the guys who make this happen! 👍

A question to the powers that be...I see some of the times on the leaderboard are brown. These look like good times for the class of driver involved. Are they 'better than expected' leading to potential promotions? If so, is there any way to work out one's own 'better than expected' time? I want to make mine brown! :D

The brown times show who has the fastest time in each division.

Its more useful when there are multiple splits on the board, as you can quickly tell where your main competitors are gaining time.

Another noob question coming in now (this is my first go at a TT), the times posted up on the leaderboards currently...are those just being put in manually from the last lap times people are posting about here...since we are only sending the bot our total time, presumably its not from that.

The leaderboard updates every 15 mins as wrsfetchbot visits the thread and crawls the pages looking for times. Anything posted in this thread for registered members is picked up. It's not, as you've correctly stated, anything to do with the actual submission which you keep secret and do via private message.

👍

The leaderboard updates every 15 mins as wrsfetchbot visits the thread and crawls the pages looking for times. Anything posted in this thread for registered members is picked up. It's not, as you've correctly stated, anything to do with the actual submission which you keep secret and do via private message.

👍

Bots these days eh...they think they're so clever.

Had a 1'30.2xx but met the next car at the chicane and ruined the run. I think I can work it out though.
Great going Baron, you've got your mojo this week. 👍
A gentle start for a newbie. How on earth do you guys manage 1'30.xxx?? I'll try some different grids and see if better drafting helps!
Nice improvements there mate. 👍 Drafting doesn't play a part on your last lap... or shouldn't in theory since you should be running in clear air at that point. AI line-up is crucial to overall time though due to timing your overtakes without having to lift off through the bends or brake earlier than you want to. My fastest mid-race lap so far was a 1'29.908 but consistency was bad on that run and I haven't managed to match it yet - that was done with a good slip-stream down the back straight after the infamous "kink". Best clear run last lap is a 1'30.119 but again set without the required consistency over the race.

Oh.. and welcome to the WRS. :cheers:

New fastest race time with a last lap of:

1'30.260

Much better first lap and not better consistency. Starting to feel the itch of impatience now if I time thing badly but still some tenths to find...

Eek...that Horrible moment when you get a decent lap and completely forget to save the replay :banghead: Will have to come back for some more tomorrow to shave off some more time.

Best run so far though.

1'31.750

Thanks Chris, really liking this format and the car. Still lots of issues with consistency though. Plus, having four complete mystery laps is a bit worrisome.

Still lots of issues with consistency though...
That's the ticket aint it..? Plus I swear the damned AI is out to get me, even suddenly swerving offline right into my path. :dopey:

Another slight improvement in overall time and a slightly better last lap too:

1'30.197

That'll do for today I think.

First time I could submit with a clean run.
1'32.205
Problem with joining WRS is the wife complaining even more than usual about the amount of time I, a grown man of 52 for god's sake, spend with that children's toy (and all those teenagers). But hey! look at him sweetheart, he's 74 so leave me alone alright? ;)

That's the ticket aint it..? Plus I swear the damned AI is out to get me, even suddenly swerving offline right into my path. :dopey:
Another slight improvement in overall time and a slightly better last lap too:
1'30.197
That'll do for today I think.
I'm trying to work out where you throw this little beast around what corner to be a whole second faster than me ;). I'm thinking it's the big long lefthander round the Colosseum - I got lots of room for improvement there - can't wait to see your replay.
Thanks for the nice welcome. GTPlanet's a nice place to start with, with even nicer nooks and crannies.

While I'm at it, thought I'd post this image from one of the links Ealirendur posted. Maybe it'll go faster if we imagine it could look like this:
picture.php

Last edited:
I had better runs than this one, but none that I was able to finish. This had a good last lap at least...

1'30.326

Problem with joining WRS is the wife complaining even more than usual about the amount of time I, a grown man of 52 for god's sake, spend with that children's toy (and all those teenagers). But hey! look at him sweetheart, he's 74 so leave me alone alright? ;)

I'm trying to work out where you throw this little beast around what corner to be a whole second faster than me ;). I'm thinking it's the big long lefthander round the Colosseum - I got lots of room for improvement there - can't wait to see your replay.
Thanks for the nice welcome. GTPlanet's a nice place to start with, with even nicer nooks and crannies.

While I'm at it, thought I'd post this image from one of the links Ealirendur posted. Maybe it'll go faster if we imagine it could look like this:
picture.php
I've been playing GT for about 10 yrs and after just 2 yrs my Sweetheart gave up complaining about the time I spent at the wheel! Give the "Little lady" a big hug and some attention, she'll be ok.

1'30.171

Not great last laps, AI lineup was very good as I could get in the draft of the Focus (which is faster in a straight line) but I did have to back off for a moment.

Kid's toy..? :boggled: Such things are wasted on the young! :sly: Don't make her a GT Widow but she must understand, most of us are grown men (and the odd woman even) and this is better than being out at the pub or bowling alley etc... My wonderful missus is the one who has, piece by piece, provided all my accessories for this obsession... and I'm not alone in that. ;)

Maybe the WRS wives should form their own club? :P

Oh and my 1 sec advantage comes from having a supportive wife. 💡

Running a bit low on patience today but managed better consistency.

1'30.134

Its bothersome how much more time you can find when you think you've reached a good plateau. I think I'm ok with my overall time but there's a frightening amount of (theoretical) time left out there.

Last edited:

Welcome to WRS. 👍

I think you'll find that the majority of us are NOT teenagers. To my knowledge, we have exactly one who runs with us right now, and he's a quick and considerate one at that!

Tell your wife she's lucky you are not spending thousands of dollars (Or Pounds, for that matter) and entire weekends of your time to go do this for real. ;)

I've was a new participant, just like you, 5 1/2 years ago. 4 years in, I got the crazy idea that the skills I'd attained here could be applied on a real track.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=230424

And they really can be. I would tell you the one thing you don't learn here and you have to figure out for yourself on the real track is courage (or stupidity, depending on your perspective).

I now have more than 30 hours of real life track experience and have raced wheel to wheel on 2 of the greatest road courses in the world, Laguna Seca and Sears Point/Sonoma/Infineon.

I've applied every bit of theory, track practice, focus/concentration, and endurance that I've learned here in a (debatably) real race car on real tracks. And I can tell you with near certainty that I never would have gone and done any of that without having had this experience.

Even if you never take what you learn here and go apply it on a track, the community and friendships you earn here are more valuable than any of that. I have friends on 3 continents. I've flown 3,000 miles to go LAN racing for the weekend. I've raced on the real track against people I first met and raced against here.

This is most definitely more than playing video games with a bunch of teenagers.

Welcome to WRS Alan. Well put Chris and Kevin, which I'd said that!! I'm just a kid at heart. :sly:

Thanks guys. I'll show this to her when she gets home. Truth be told she did buy me my DFGT for my birthday last year, but I think she regrets it sometimes :lol:

Nice article Kevin. Thanks for sharing the experience 👍.

Last edited:
Does anyone have the URL to the time calculator page? My other computer is down and I don't have it on this one. Thanks in advance!!

Got another good run, some very close calls though! Damned AI likes to break in front of you and cut you off whenever. :grumpy:
1'31.335
My first entry was with Chris's tune. This one was with Kevin's tune. Both excellent tunes!!

I think that this would be a very useful post to re-post to calculate lap times and average them. Here is the post:
VBR ← Me At PalmerSport, 2009
When working out how many laps for each race I need (to fit into certain time frames), I usually do the math very roughly in my head. However, I've just found this rather useful Time Calculator, so I can now multiply lap times by any number I want thus getting a more accurate result.

http://www.scottseverance.us/html/time_calculator.htm

I hope other race event organizers find this as useful as I just did.

Here's the time calculator site I always use. It's the one from the Registry Qualifier thread, Gayle.

Is the PS Network down again?
Just need to know if it my connection or the network again.
Cheers!

Back