GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 26 : Save it for a Rainy Day

• Thread starter EDK
  • 214 comments
Gaaah! :crazy: I'm missing something.... over a second off the pace and can't improve my 1st sector at all. Without a ghost to chase I have no idea where I'm going wrong.

Up 0.3 at the line but all in sector 2 of course. Not enjoying this week as much as I thought I would.
Yeah, a ghost would be fantastic. I guess it's something new to learn, look at the bright side, at least you're not also used to the driving line. :crazy:

T1: 1'00.061

Not in the sub 1 minute club yet, but getting close. I've seen a couple, but blew the final turn. I left at least 0.3 from my best T2 so this lap was just barely an improvement. But a second quicker than yesterday so I'll take it:

T1: 59.866

OK, I'm in the club, but I still left that 0.3 in the final sector. I've now seen 59.6XX and getting more consistent. 0.2 seconds up at the line.

T1: 59.608

Finally getting into the rhythm of the "s" turns in sector 1. Also got 0.1 back in the final sector, but still 0.2 off my best. 0.37 seconds up at the line.

T1: 59.580 👍

Only gained a hundredth at the line, but 59.5XX just looks better on the LB. I'm wet and soggy after a few hours in the rain and calling it a night.

Last edited:
1'01.055

Probably all I can do on this one as I have a full weekend ahead. Did not get as much time on this as I would have liked but I dare say I am satisfied with the result. I wouldn't say it is on par with some of my more recent weeks but I blew my mind how much I've improved over the last time I attempted these events.

If love to have another run on this come Monday but I'm gonna submit this one in case I don't. And I promise it is clean this time! :embarrassed:

T1: 59.580 👍

Only gained a hundredth at the line, but 59.5XX just looks better on the LB. I'm wet and soggy after a few hours in the rain and calling it a night.

Nice. 👍 Way to make things interesting.

I gave it a couple more half-hearted hours tonight, THEN checked in here and realized ... um ... I need to go a bit faster.

Welcome back, Tim. 👍

Yeah, a ghost would be fantastic. I guess it's something new to learn, look at the bright side, at least you're not also used to the driving line. :crazy:

Chris and Dom, I make my own ghost in a way when I have nothing to chase. What I do is I get me very best time, and write down the time I reach certain places on a notepad (old fashion way). Then I just compare my replay to see where I am going wrong. Examples I use here are light poles, the yokahama sign, and there are many numbered signs like 68 , 69 , 70 ..etc that make it a lot easier here. What I found believe it or not, is that all my time is lost in between the right/left combo after marker 70. I am reaching the beginning of the rumbes/cobbles on the left hand side of the car at the correct time, but by the time I am at the end of the rumbles/cobbles on the right hand side of the car, I have lost the time already. I mean, it's only like 100-200m or so and it's where I'm loosing 0.2-0.3, :crazy:

Going to be close between me and Manuelos with 1 thousandth seperating us. Must have been the extra raindrop on the car I am carrying :sly:
I mean come on, let me have my day in the sun rain :dopey:

Futile session last night, could only manage to equal about 5 times in the 58.8xx split , and butchered that last turn on each one. Just waiting for Holland to bang in a mid 57 now :scared:

Nice run Tim 👍 just got back and already gunning for a podium I see.

Hmm, I'm going to go a bit against the grain here and say I don't like driving in the rain at all. I rushed through this event to get the rewards on my main account and I always restarted A-spec races if it rained. :)

A very frustrating saturday session with tons of spins, curses and even some yelling at the TV (like that's going to help!) gave this split on my best "lap":

yanaran
...A very frustrating saturday session with tons of spins, curses and even some yelling at the TV (like that's going to help!) gave this split on my best "lap": 58.768

Interesting... You yell at the tv and run 58.7xx and I yell at the wheel and run 59.5xx. I will have to try your approach. It makes sense as there's no force feedback for the TV to "yell" back. :lol:
Nice run Tim 👍 just got back and already gunning for a podium I see.
Nice. 👍 Way to make things interesting... Welcome back, Tim. 👍

Thanks guys. :cheers: If this combo follows the formula from some of the past weeks I expect one or both of you to obliterate this split over the next 24-36 hours (Kristoph with a ~1 second jump in your split). Come and get it.

Honestly, first week back I just wanted a good run, but if a podium is in reach it's that much better. Still got some work to do as there are five D3ers already under a minute so it should be a good fight to the "finish".

Last edited:
Ran a few sessions, at this one, took me about 4 hours to work out the basic idea of how to achieve the limit, was experimenting with BB, AS, ABS (concluded 1 is always the best but sometimes requires braking finesse) gears, drifting, downshifts, upshifts curb hopping, grass cutting, gliding (2nd last corner), and finally came up with a half decent T1 and a solid run home, acquiring my original target time I set.

No AS, ABS 1, BB 4/7 (BB is absolutely critical with this combo, absolutely essential, and this setting allows for a good 1st corner, and promotes slight tail fishy handling for the first chicane under brakes. Gears and speeds used:

1st corner- 2nd gear, moderate the throttle upon exit, around 64-65km/h, allowing the rear to tail out slightly upon braking (small brake pressure required, 30 percent max) 2nd is a bitch and a half to get, you can actually take the corner using the inside grass on the right at 141-142km/h, exiting in 3rd, but that's a 25 per-center for me, more safe is to avoid any major curb contact at the apex, and maintain 140km/h+ with a slight throttle moderation when exiting, stay in 3rd gear, use no more than 60 percent brakes as you do not make appreciable contact with the left curb when half way through the chicane, then reduce brake pressure slightly to gradually kill the speed to under 100 as you veer towards the right apex, avoiding curb contact, exiting with a sllight drift in full throttle in 3rd gear at 90-91km/h, you will loose traction but don't be tempted to reduce throttle.

Cut the following 3 corners using grass, initially with a slight lift at 114km/h, then a slight tap of the brakes at 110km/h for the right, and then for the left, again a slight brake tap, at 94/95km/h in full throttle, don't be afraid to use a bit of grass exiting. For the right, I brake at 70 percent pressure, down shift to 2nd then upshift to 3rd again preparing for the exit, in full throttle, avoiding any inside curb contact, at 82-83km/h, it's not necessary to use the grass for the left kink that brings you towards T1, as you may loose traction and exit speed, however use the grass on the right when exiting, upshift to 3rd gear at around 167km/h, you should see 176km/h as you veer onto the left grass in setting up for the double right, quick tap of the brakes, an immediate downshift to 3rd, and a couple of full throttle taps, at 154/155km/h, before flooring it in 3rd, squealing the tires slightly, avoiding grass contact when exiting, and If timed well, you should see a speed reading of 165.5km/h as you kiss the inside rumble strip, upshift to 4th at 172km/h, slight tap of the brakes, and then a glide initially at high 197/198km/h, maybe perform a slight tap of the gas as you veer over towards the right and commence the critical braking period for the last corner, use 90 percent brake, no more and maybe a little less at stages as you judge the corner apex, downshift to 2nd gear, then upshift to 3rd at low 80's, accelerating out in full throttle If you can, at 79km/h.

Tough to execute in the wet and with poor visibility, but a rewarding experience whatever the case, time submitted, cheers:tup:

Amazing write-up.:bowdown:
Well, this is interesting. I use about the same technique though slightly different sometimes, but I have no idea why you lost 2 tenths to me in T1. I honestly don't know what your target time was, so it will all come down to the last sector.

Happier with this first sector, but braked a tad early for last corner. Might be it for me.

Had a few hours at it again today but given up now.

T1: 59.432

I think this was done with BB 4/5, but not sure because I moved it rearwards afterwards. My problem was when the brake balance was right, the tail would step out into the first left/right chicane because of the camber there, and I wouldn't be able to recover, the only remedies being move the brake balance forwards or carry less speed into the corner (Which costs a lot of time, I was already braking a lot earlier than usual). But when I moved it too far forwards it wouldn't turn enough, and it wouldn't have enough braking power for the final turn :ouch: I'm just not good enough in the wet, the brake balance is only part of the story.

I set a time which i'm fairly happy with. There is well over a second to be found but those are beyond my limit on a wet track. Even if the registry is updated before the deadline I doubt i'm anywhere in D2 where I expect i'll be placed, but I guess it was worth a shot :)

I had a 30 minute session, blew a 59.2xx at the last corner, but managed a new best lap 3 tenths faster than previous.

New T1: 59.351

Interesting... You yell at the tv and run 58.7xx and I yell at the wheel and run 59.5xx. I will have to try your approach. It makes sense as there's no force feedback for the TV to "yell" back. :lol:
If it works out let me know! :sly:

MarkWebber: Thanks for that detailed write-up. Like CSL I've been trying almost the same but with less success than you. Your post inspired me to give it another go though and try a couple of things you mentioned. I'd like to say it helped a lot but sadly I just can't seem to go much faster, and that downshift/upshift just doesn't seem to work for me. The one thing that did help a bit was the downshift to 3rd in flugplatz (sp?) that seemed to help get the car around without drifting wide. I got a bit more consistent in T1 with 4/7 BB, but that might just be down to repetition...

Submitting with this split, probably done for me.

A quick go before bed turned into a 3 hour session :crazy: Anyways, found a good rhythm and found 4 tenths at the line.

I don't think i've found the sweet spot on the last corner yet. Also saw a .147 T1, so look out Dan :mischievous:

Had another go at it ad reduced my time by 2.5 tenths with a better T1, and a solid last sector, decided to use the grass exiting the double right after T1, which forces you to shift to 4th at 166km/h to avoid rev bouncing. But it's effective.

Did not see a 57.9xx, which was a shame, for some reason.

T1: 59.361

.04 up at the line.

Its really nice to see Mark Weber who can go real fast offering some real practical advice how he drove the track. Thanks.

T1: 59.361

.04 up at the line.

Its really nice to see Mark Weber who can go real fast offering some real practical advice how he drove the track. Thanks.

Yeah my write-up could probably do with a bit of refinement and conciseness, but I'm glad it's semi useful and also, that many people were doing the exact same thing anyway:tup:

I might have another go tomorrow or Tuesday, just to attempt to improve T1, and to improve the final corner

T1: 59.682

A tenth slower in T1, but the overall run improved by two tenths. I was within a hundredth of my personal best in T2. I'm hitting diminishing returns at this point and actually seem to be regressing in T1. Expected to see some .4 and maybe one .3 by this point, but not yet.

Depending on the next combo, this might be it for me. Or I might take it for a spin tomorrow and see what a fresh outlook brings.

@Kevin: Love the combo 👍 my 2nd favorite so far after the 3 lap mini event.

T1: 59.682

[...Tim generously puts me back in 2nd place in D3...]

Depending on the next combo, this might be it for me. Or I might take it for a spin tomorrow and see what a fresh outlook brings.

@Kevin: Love the combo 👍 my 2nd favorite so far after the 3 lap mini event.

It'll still be raining, bro. It's like Groundhog Day. :dopey: Over, and over, and over...

I had a DS3 session tonight, and I've kind of given up on being faster in T1 (sounds like you might be, too), but I know my current T2 can be faster.

Thanks to DanH for the writeup, I think it was Laguna in Kev's Dodge the last time you did that. 👍

Was in the zone this morning....beat my old time 4 times but thought I should have got a bit more.... :banghead:

Nice time Matt 👍 I've just about given up with this one I reckon. Very poor effort from me this week - spent about an hour total.... gnashing my teeth and making no progress at all. :crazy:

It'll still be raining, bro. It's like Groundhog Day. :dopey: Over, and over, and over...

I had a DS3 session tonight, and I've kind of given up on being faster in T1 (sounds like you might be, too), but I know my current T2 can be faster.

Thanks to DanH for the writeup, I think it was Laguna in Kev's Dodge the last time you did that. 👍

Pretty sure that was the last occasion I competed in the WRS, missed about a month an a bit:tup:

I saw my first 58.9 and a few 59.0's T1 yesterday, but T2 never went well. I think I might be done with this one unless I find a half hour before the deadline to do some more runs.

Current T1: 59.211

Finally...

Many thanks to Dan - BB 4/7 ABS 1 is perfect 👍, just need to work on being a bit smoother through the double right.... reckon I'm losing the most there.

Many thanks to Jonas too - shouting at the TV (or monitor in my case) really helps knock those tenths off this week. 👍

Edit:

:)

Bit smoother through the double right... using BB 5/7 ABS 2 - feels a bit better for the last bend in sector 2.

Last edited:
Back