GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 79 : F1 Summer Break Blues

• Thread starter EDK
  • 282 comments
Pouhon is a right struggle, is anybody managing it flat ?
Nope, just runs wide going in flat. I'm lifting slightly, downshift to 6th, then full throttle, shifting back up to 7th at the rumbles on the right on exit. Nice start by the way mate. 👍

Struggling thru this one. Swore I wasn't going to run this week, but a racecar this fast gives me a lot of experience. Still slow as he!!.
T2 is my sore in the behind!!

Slightly better but pretty much on the limit, need to work on T1 and the last corner, I went 5/1 BB

Posting behind Twissy or Wes makes me feel pretty amateur at this :lol:

Nice sector 2. 👍 Not seen any .3s.... Keep throwing .4s away too.

Beat my previous by 0.1 with a much better chicane at the end. Man, that thing has killed some great laps so far. Looking for 0.2 on the lap (still).

Hi,

after some weeks of abstinence from WRS it's a kind of comeback for me :sly:

Very nice combo! 👍

Some setup info from my side:

- aero 150/200
- brake 5/3 with no ABS at all
- stock transmission set to 340km/h
- for LSD and damper etc. I took some advice out of this thread

S1 - 29,676
S2 - 45,104

and a lot of room for improvements :scared:

The stock tune is way too twitchy for me. For anybody slower than me and wanting to try a tune that is more sedate (until you need more twitchy), here is my tune. It basically just calms the car down and, to me, makes the front and back feel more connected. Pouhon is still an oversteer corner, but everywhere else felt better.

DF 150/200 (max)

Tranny Default, then set top speed to 211MPH (one click to the left). It red lights at the end of the straight, so it might need a slight nudge of final.

Diff 5/10/5 I know it might be a bit chicken, but the car gets calmed down.

Spring 17.2/17.5
Damp(ext) 8/10
Damp(comp) 8/8
ARB 4/7
Camber 2.7/1.0
Toe -0.50/0.50

BB 5/2 ABS 1

I want to try and lower the front Damp(ext) in my next session. If you try it, I'd like to hear your opinion.

pilmat
I want to try and lower the front Damp(ext) in my next session. If you try it, I'd like to hear your opinion.

I've been thinking one click off front compression might help under braking in the slow corners, but I've yet to test this.

I've been thinking one click off front compression might help under braking in the slow corners, but I've yet to test this.

I work under the assumption that that window in the tune menu (spring, ride height, damper and ARB) is BACKWARDS. In other words, when you lower the front on the menu, the effect is to lower the rear of the car.

Therefore, my thought on reducing the front Damp(ext) is to soften the rear roll. That is what we do in RL to help the kind of traction issue (going in or under heavy acceleration while still turning). In RL playing with the rebound (damp extension in GT5) is a dramatic way to change the "feel" of the car from a driver's perspective. Bump is more subtle, but can really affect the way the car dives on brakes or squats on power.

Of course, I could be off my rocker (about GT5) and this could all work completely different (again, in GT5):dopey:

The stock tune is way too twitchy for me. For anybody slower than me and wanting to try a tune that is more sedate (until you need more twitchy), here is my tune. It basically just calms the car down and, to me, makes the front and back feel more connected. Pouhon is still an oversteer corner, but everywhere else felt better.

DF 150/200 (max)

Tranny Default, then set top speed to 211MPH (one click to the left). It red lights at the end of the straight, so it might need a slight nudge of final.

Diff 5/10/5 I know it might be a bit chicken, but the car gets calmed down.

Spring 17.2/17.5
Damp(ext) 8/10
Damp(comp) 8/8
ARB 4/7
Camber 2.7/1.0
Toe -0.50/0.50

BB 5/2 ABS 1

I give you're setup a try. I need loads of help on this one!!

I give you're setup a try. I need loads of help on this one!!

:) I read that people such as yourself are struggling with the handling on this one, hence my tune.

Another thing about driving style here. Start by NOT trail braking. Try to get most of it done while still straight and let the car roll into the corners with little or no brake. That helped my into Fagnes (after Pouhon), just pick up the throttle earlier in the corner and ease onto it. Once you get a flow through the corners, you can start to try a little trail braking.

All I need now are some anti-suck pills in turn 1

Earlier on I went rather daft and said I upshift to 6th for Pouhon, when I clearly downshift to 6th. On this lap I maintained 173mph minimum which is about the best I've done, I do lift here, but before the start of Pouhon itself, I then hit full throttle throughout and if it works it'll run wide to the outside with a little slide and then shoot out the other side nicely - the whole of sector 2 was really solid, so much so I doubt I'll beat it. However, it's pretty clear that T1 was awful and the bus stop I panicked and it was ok but not great, so there is half a second in those areas - but perhaps I'll lose a couple of tenths in the middle. Another 1/4 second off the lap time and that'll be about my max.

4/1 BB ABS 5

Full aero
3.2/2.2 camber
0.0/0.7 toe
20/20 springs
8/8 7/7 7/7
15/25/10

Tranny trick, top speed 219 - slightly longer 6th gear so that ~ 186mph is on or near the limiter

Last edited:

That might be the magic lap for me. Not perfect by any means but a good two plus seconds faster at the checkered flag. If I go any lower it will not be by much I think.

A tip for those struggling: drive it with AT for a while. If you are like me and are used to 4-500PP street cars you are probably underestimating the cornering speeds you can get through with this beast. Trying to get around without the auto box downshifting too far will force you to drive faster. I found ten seconds learning it this way.

...and the bus stop I panicked...
:P Great for that aint it? I have 4 panic states there - 1. Miss braking point, sail off track. 2. Cut the right hander too much. 3. Make the right hander, go wide exiting the left hander. 4. Make right hander, make left hand apex, mash the throttle and spin, hitting the wall on the left. :dopey:

Great sector 2 time there though Matt - a good step up. 👍

Another 0.1 off at the line for me:

Still looking for another 2 tenths on best sectors - 0.1 in 1st sector, 0.1 in last sector. About my best sector 2 thus far but I had a tail-happy moment coming out of Malmedy which probably cost me a tenth so a .3 is possible if I can hold it together. Sewing it all together at this point is a tall order so I think I'm pretty happy with what I've got now if no improvement comes... Still using the same setup with BB 5/5 ABS 10

If you are like me and are used to 4-500PP street cars you are probably underestimating the cornering speeds you can get through with this beast.
Good observation - it may seem like a no brainer but a car with this much downforce is also much happier/better balanced on throttle than off. Lifting in the high speed stuff can be a disaster and too much trailing throttle on high speed entries scrubs off too much speed. Don't let the revs drop too much - use the high end power to push the car through the apexes in the high speed bends.

:) I read that people such as yourself are struggling with the handling on this one, hence my tune.

Another thing about driving style here. Start by NOT trail braking. Try to get most of it done while still straight and let the car roll into the corners with little or no brake. That helped my into Fagnes (after Pouhon), just pick up the throttle earlier in the corner and ease onto it. Once you get a flow through the corners, you can start to try a little trail braking.
I tried you're tune and got some improvement all around with a 1.5 sec faster OT, But, I forgot to save it. So it worked to some extent!! I just can't get the hang of throwing the dagblame car (steering hard) into the corners.

Just made a couple laps, withou any valid splits to post but just to say one thing:

What a combo 👍, my wife is used to see me but this time she just sit there watching and talking about the insane speed i was driving :lol:

So my fellow WRS'ers, please try this week, it´s great, and don´t mind the splits, just doing laps with this baby and take a good turn is a reward by itself :sly:

Just made a couple laps, withou any valid splits to post but just to say one thing:

What a combo 👍, my wife is used to see me but this time she just sit there watching and talking about the insane speed i was driving :lol:

So my fellow WRS'ers, please try this week, it´s great, and don´t mind the splits, just doing laps with this baby and take a good turn is a reward by itself :sly:

+10 👍 Well said my friend. :)

I work under the assumption that that window in the tune menu (spring, ride height, damper and ARB) is BACKWARDS. In other words, when you lower the front on the menu, the effect is to lower the rear of the car.

I make the same assumption so on the actual screen I'd be adjusting the rear. But the basic point is I think the front of the car needs to be a touch softer under braking but retain its present characteristics at cruise and under acceleration. I've got it to where it handles the high-speed corners well and the medium speed corners with competence. But its handling in the right-left combo between Pouhon and Stavelot needs work.

Great for that aint it? I have 4 panic states there - 1. Miss braking point, sail off track. 2. Cut the right hander too much. 3. Make the right hander, go wide exiting the left hander. 4. Make right hander, make left hand apex, mash the throttle and spin, hitting the wall on the left.

Lol, that about sums it up, with one exception. I've been three-tenths up on my current best time on two occasions now only to blow it at the Bus Stop, not by binning it but by being way too conservative in the knowledge that outcomes 1-4 await to punish any carelessness.

Last edited:
I am not getting under the 29.1** (apart from once breaking into the 28's only to be so excited at the top of the straight I threw her into the wall :banghead:) I am hitting 333kph (206/7mph) at the breaking point at the top of the hill, so i believe i am passing through Eau Rouge well, but just can’t get turn 1 correct. I def have at least 3 to 4 car lengths still to gain through T2 (so hoping to break into early mid 44's in T2)

May get some time today, but otherwise it looks like limited sessions on sat and sun.

Has anyone got the F10 past the 726bhp mark? Just making sure I am running at optimum

Usual Suspect

Vagabond
+10 👍 Well said my friend. :)

Agreed! Had a 25-30 lap run this afternoon with no improvement and still had a grin on my face when I stopped for a bathroom break. :D

Now using Millross Tune, thank You! Some what better overall.

Last edited:
You guys drive also a race with tyre wear??

Yes. On the Wednesday following the TT we are running an hour long race.
We do that every week unless we need to sub in a combo for whatever reason.

Still miles off the pace but wanted to post something. Dropped a bit in T1 but this is probably my best T2 so far

Still a lot of work to do :cheers:

Forgot how to do T1 :dunce:

P.S. Change the oil often! After an hour session it's down quite a few HP:crazy:

Back