GTP_WRS Week 10 : Official Results

• Thread starter Vaxen
  • 97 comments
Yeah I thought that aswell but rally has changed in gt5 and I really don't like that....not sure if this is more realistic now or not?

Many thanks for making this video,cheers!! :cheers:

No problem :)

That is an epic lap from GT4 👍 and yeah, it has changed alot in GT5. I don't have much off road experience outside of green-laning in a Landrover but the dynamic felt better in GT4 - the balance at the limit of traction seemed more "real". I would guess in GT5 they have changed the ratio between the dirt tyres longitudinal and latitudinal grip co-efficients. In simplest terms, the tyres now have less grip for traction relative to grip for cornering, resulting in earlier traction loss under power, removing the gains for staying on the power in a sliding turn. This is evidenced by the fact that Wes gained alot of exit speed over you in the hairpin by taking it smoothly rather than getting the back end out. Arguably this is less realistic since that is not how any rally driver I've seen takes a hairpin on a gravel circuit. 💡

Yeah I thought that aswell but rally has changed in gt5 and I really don't like that....not sure if this is more realistic now or not? Here's a video of how was I doing rally way back in 2005 with gt4, just to compare driving style:

Ahhh, memories. Board Challenge 5 was my first and man I dind't want to do that El Capitan Rally run so I did the other Rally instead :P

The biggest difference I can tell (given I was on a DS2 the last time I rally'd) is the cars in GT5 are more understeery and less able to make fast maneuvers. Take the first section of the lap with the chicane over the bridge, there's no way that could be done with so much speed without slamming into the wall given that track was in GT5. I feel like when you turn in GT5, the car just continues to slide straight and doesn't begin to turn in as easily.

Jerome

Yeah I thought that aswell but rally has changed in gt5 and I really don't like that....not sure if this is more realistic now or not?Here's a video of how was I doing rally way back in 2005 with gt4, just to compare driving style:

Many thanks for making this video,cheers!! :cheers:

I know a few people will probably disagree, but I think it's more realistic than it was in GT4 now. I've thrashed round a lot in the dirt in both trail bikes and cars (RWD only though) and that's how a car behaves. Stomp on the brakes in the dirt and you just keep going straight on (This is especially true in the hill of eiger, you just keep sliding down the hill). Bring out the back and you loose huge amounts of speed. Next time anyone watches WRC you'll see the car is straight most of the time, not sideways (it just looks more sideways than circuit). It's just physics really, you want the force going forwards, not to the side.

It's like having SRF on in the circuit events, makes it too "arcade like". I like it better now, just my 2c. Let the flaming begin 👍

Not sure we were using so much grass in previous GT versions whilst rallying :dopey: I do agree that PD messed up by allowing the track to be driven in such a way! They might as well not have marked out the track in gravel and just left it all as a straw and grass 15 foot wide path. I did attempt this btw! and when I saw what was needed to be competitive I binned it straight away as I don't agree with it :indiff:

I know most will frown on my comments but we all have our own opinions and to me this isn't GT rallying that needs any skill!... Zoky's vid from 2005 however! that is GT rallying and the way it should be, he always has his wheels on the marked track until the last tight turn, not everyone can drive that suby to the limit there! but if he had decided instead to wallride the whole course as a faster route back then? I'm sure his competition would have been plentiful :sly:

Well done to the winners for threading the needle anyway 👍 and the admins for taking a different and debatable approach to the track boundaries :cheers: hopefully in the future we can see a return to some rallying where the replays can have some wow factor again ;)

No offence is intended just a difference of opinion to make some debate for future events.

Cheers Ron. :cheers:

Last edited:
Agree completely with Ron's post above.

I tried this one too, but when I realised what lines were needed to hit competitive splits I lost interest. It's a shame as I think the rally physics in GT5 are really good... but not if you just straight line everything and spend less than half of the time on the track.

No offense meant to those who competed or to Kev, but IMO, it's not realistic to drive like that, whether it be on a road course or a rally.

I grew up racing on dirt and running the lines that I ran made sense, as in the real world the traction on prepared vs non prepared aka the weeds is different. The game truly represents the difference. Throttle control was critical as well, for the shifters they could short shift to get to the torque but since I ran auto I had to use a more reserved throttle application to try to get the finger nails to bite. Even on the Eiger the traction is dependable and predictable. I know that Mysteron, Zoky and Sid are Alien Crazy Fast in the computer but I would like to hear about any real world experience that they might have done.

I've been a massive WRC fan for all my life, mashalled extensively on the RAC in my younger years in South Wales and Kielder Forest, and I still follow this and the British and Irish National Championships. I also have some personal driving experience of single venue rallying here in the UK in an Astra GTE and a Manta 400.

In my experience, the lines taken in this WRS are in no way shape or form representative of real rallying. Yes the drivers cut corner apexs on gravel rallies, they hang an inside wheels off the edge of road, but they do not drive the entire car off the cut track for long periods of time like the video's I've seen posted here... unless it's the long discontinued Safari Rally.

Say what you like, but those video's are in no way representative of real life.

Of course it still takes a lot of skill to run the times you guys have, so props there 👍

Oh, and fast though he undoutably is, Ron does't have a license... hence although he comfortably qualified for the UK Academy Finals last year they wouldn't let him attend.

Last edited:
I have something Ron doesn't? That's a first.

Really impressive stuff this week guys, can't really see where I was losing time in first sector, but the second sector I was killed on the turn before the hairpin, I never maintained that kind of speed. I sort of enjoyed it this week, but I do agree with some of the above.

Here is my PAL replay.

Note: Because I was offline my driver name is L.Connelly. I've changed it for the new combo already.;)

Attachments

• GTP_akmuq_Round 10.zip
    320 KB · Views: 10
💡 I know grass cutting beats my replay [feel pretty good now since I did a lousy job at mowing]......but after all, this thread is important for checking replays....and I would appreciate some diligent NTSC GTP'er checking a replay at post #10. ;)

^Even from the YouTube I can tell it's clean. Can't properly check though cause I'm PAL.

^Even from the YouTube I can tell it's clean. Can't properly check though cause I'm PAL.

Thanks......I understand....I wish I could check PAL as well....to gain "knowledge." :)

Agree completely with Ron's comment about the grass cutting, which is why I suggested eiger might have been a better venue to limit that, with the cliff faces and barriers. No offense taken, perhaps PD should implement a 'proper' rally track with not much runoff area?

My comments were based more around the 'realistic' physics of the car/game, rather than the actual lines being taken when I say 'keep the car straight'. The larger the angle of the car, the more force is going to the side rather than forwards, need to keep it straight as possible. Good example of this is drifting on a circuit course, sure it looks good, but it's not going to win any races :) Of course the electronic wizardry these days can cater for some of that. I still stand by that, I think they got the physics quite close, at least better than GT4.

@Lefty. Haven't had any formal experience as yourself, have had the odd go on dirt speedway tracks when I was young (That was the advantage of my old man commentating at the events, he was a radio announcer). But I have done a lot of dirt bike riding in some undisclosed locations :sly:

Had a go at a hillclimb at bathurst in a Datto 1600/FJ20T , that was a fun event. And I try to get one of my beasts to eastern creek every couple of months if I can, and got down to Phillip Island once in '98. Fast in real life, ABSOLUTELY not. You learn that quickly when Marty Cragill flys buy in turns 4/5 on a track day and you can't see anything except the dark lines he lays down. Turn 6 and he's gone :lol:

💡 I know grass cutting beats my replay [feel pretty good now since I did a lousy job at mowing]......but after all, this thread is important for checking replays....and I would appreciate some diligent NTSC GTP'er checking a replay at post #10. ;)

I will do this for you DD. Can't get to it right now, but I should have the result posted before tomorrow morning.

EDIT:

Just watched your lap Diamond. It really had a great flow to it. I enjoyed watching it. It would have been a little faster if you weren't sliding around in the gravel. As was said above, this seemed to be a week of grass/gravel/grass lines.

I look forward to getting to see some of your future laps DD. You showed some excellent car control here.

Rees

GTP_DDiamond
picture.php

Last edited:
I'm so bad at Rally Driving, I'm not even requested to submit replay for the first time!
But I learned a few things about off road driving last week and the first of it that it's really hard.
So congratz to all rally drivers out there and of course to everyone participated!

I will do this for you DD. Can't get to it right now, but I should have the result posted before tomorrow morning.

EDIT:

Just watched your lap Diamond. It really had a great flow to it. I enjoyed watching it. It would have been a little faster if you weren't sliding around in the gravel. As was said above, this seemed to be a week of grass/gravel/grass lines.

I look forward to getting to see some of your future laps DD. You showed some excellent car control here.

Rees

GTP_DDiamond
picture.php

Thanks, Rees, for checking, and your comments were very much appreciated.

Yeah, I probably could have mowed the grass a lot more, but I thought running on the gravel the majority of the time was fun....for my first rally event. :nervous: I kinda look forward to snow, which I'm almost sure there will be in the future.....and will be fun trying to "find" the grass there! :crazy:

Dan

Visual specs correct and run clean!

GTP_RaceRyder -
picture.php

Another great lap, RR! Gonna be hard for me to keep up with you D4 guys! :scared:

Could someone please check my lap on the last page?

The lap is checked and it's okay,but:

The event MUST be run using your GTP_Tag Account

Here's what went wrong I guess...
Replay says: Driver L.Connelly

The lap is checked and it's okay,but:

The event MUST be run using your GTP_Tag Account

Here's what went wrong I guess...
Replay says: Driver L.Connelly

But I was offline so it said that. :(

Oh, and thanks for checking;).

I've already changed my offline name to GTP_akmuq.;) Week 11's replay will have that name on it.:)

With all the PSN hassle I think I forgot to submit my time ad It's not on the board..

Been a busy week...Here is my replay.

Attachments

• GTP ScepTer WRS Week 10.zip
    311 KB · Views: 7
Back