GTP_WRS Week 102 : Boxing Ring

• Thread starter EDK
  • 104 comments
Can't wait to drive it. :drool:

full

Reactions: EDK
Saw an xx.4xx in sector 1 but spoiled the lap. Also a tenth slower (at the line) than a lap where I forgot to save the replay, DOH!

1:00.578

Only get t2 right on about one out of twenty laps, and never with a good t1.:boggled:
I'd take your T1. ;)

I find T1 to be a lot like the Suzuka esses. Overdo it in one turn, and it just compromises the next. And maintaining speed through the final turn is VERY important.

I was doing a bunch of crazy extra shifting through there, but found that just leaving it in 3rd after the upshift between 1 and 2 is more consistent, if not outright faster.

Only get t2 right on about one out of twenty laps, and never with a good t1.:boggled:
The other thing I find is that when I get a really good run out of the last turn and get a great T1, I miss my braking point and run deep for the first hairpin in T2.

Need to work on braking for that sooner, knowing I will give some away when I have a slow T1, but knowing I will have the habit built. AND knowing that I won't be looking at my T1 time when I should be braking!

EDK
I'd take your T1. ;)

I find T1 to be a lot like the Suzuka esses. Overdo it in one turn, and it just compromises the next. And maintaining speed through the final turn is VERY important.

I was doing a bunch of crazy extra shifting through there, but found that just leaving it in 3rd after the upshift between 1 and 2 is more consistent, if not outright faster.

Do you mean you leave it in third for the tight right in t2?

Do you mean you leave it in third for the tight right in t2?
Nah, I sort of mis-interpreted your post at first. I was referring to T1 when I said I was doing a bunch of extra shifting. It does help "set" the car to blip down and back up, but I think it slows momentum and also takes your focus away from turning the car. So throttle steering in 3rd is faster.

First right of T2 is definitely 2nd gear, the real key to T2 is momentum through that first left, and it's really tough in this car. I am leaving the car in 2nd between the first right and that left, making sure I get to the entry rumble. And then sort of trail braking to apex, although sometimes I actually release the brake completely and then dab it to get to apex and settle the car. Not consistent.

But the car wants to do its damnedest to drift that turn and ruin your lap, and counter steering is pretty much useless with all the banking. So I am going more on the feel of what the car is doing. If I feel like I can release the brake sooner and let the momentum carry, then I will just use the dab. But if the car feels like it wants to let go, or if it feels like I will never get to the apex without staying on brake, I trail brake all the way to apex.

The other thing in T2 is the loop and getting a good exit, which mainly involves picking a visual marker for a throttle on point. This one is also tricky, as you need to have enough lock unwound to floor it without the car stepping out. Learning the wheel angle that you can get away with full throttle is key.

EDK
First right of T2 is definitely 2nd gear, the real key to T2 is momentum through that first left, and it's really tough in this car. I am leaving the car in 2nd between the first right and that left, making sure I get to the entry rumble. And then sort of trail braking to apex, although sometimes I actually release the brake completely and then dab it to get to apex and settle the car. Not consistent.

But the car wants to do its damnedest to drift that turn and ruin your lap, and counter steering is pretty much useless with all the banking. So I am going more on the feel of what the car is doing. If I feel like I can release the brake sooner and let the momentum carry, then I will just use the dab. But if the car feels like it wants to let go, or if it feels like I will never get to the apex without staying on brake, I trail brake all the way to apex.

The other thing in T2 is the loop and getting a good exit, which mainly involves picking a visual marker for a throttle on point. This one is also tricky, as you need to have enough lock unwound to floor it without the car stepping out. Learning the wheel angle that you can get away with full throttle is key.
Getting a good launch out of the first left in t2 is definitely the hardest to get right. I shift to third before the left then leave it to prevent unintended drifting, only downshifting right before I get back on the throttle.I do most of my braking before the corner and coast in.

Getting a good launch out of the first left in t2 is definitely the hardest to get right. I shift to third before the left then leave it to prevent unintended drifting, only downshifting right before I get back on the throttle.I do most of my braking before the corner and coast in.
That doesn't sound like very much fun. :P

I was trying an upshift to 3rd with a downshift back to 2nd, that's a bad idea. Unless you really do want to drift.

But I have found keeping it in 2nd to be relatively stable, and it assures a fast exit. It's just a lot of work. :)

Phew! This is really a tough combo. I have big problems to keep this italian beast on the track. The entry to the long lefthander in T2 is my nemesis. For me it works best to take it (and stay) in 2nd gear and pumping the throttle to stabilize the car (learned this pumping thing from Ed_Night's video at TT 79).
Best splits so far. BB 2/5 and TC 1:

1'00.567

Back