GTP_WRS Week 129 : Duct Tape Deathmatch

• Thread starter MadMax
  • 75 comments
Hi,

:confused:

I'm miles away from acceptable split times, last place on the board. Do I just need to practise more? I'm with gt6 for roundabout six weeks now, finished the last stars yesterday (24 min. Le Mans).

Any hints? Or do I get out of patience?

little frustrated,
D.

I remember being at that same position when I started here. It's quite a shock to go from the game's standard to WRSs. People around here will squeeze every possible tenth out of track. Keep at it and you will see progress in no time. Took me 3 years to go from D3B to D1B, and I'm still usually about more than a second behind the leaders most times.
It's all about knowing how fast you can be, competing with others is just a bonus.

Hi,

:confused:

I'm miles away from acceptable split times, last place on the board. Do I just need to practise more? I'm with gt6 for roundabout six weeks now, finished the last stars yesterday (24 min. Le Mans).

Any hints? Or do I get out of patience?

little frustrated,
D.

I echo what the others have said but watching replays has been the most useful to me. This applies to previous events on the same track and particularly the winning lap after the event. The Data Logger can also provide details that you sometimes can't pickup on a replay.

Good Luck:tup:

@DeuxMilles

I also had a steep learning curve I wrote up what i did to become faster in a few posts. you can find them here
http://goo.gl/GhGbPd and the second one https://goo.gl/Jb1sLK here. Also perhaps you can learn a bit from watching some comparison video's so you can see what people do differently. The first I made is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AW08YdSo30 .

Another tip could be to ask for a sector 1 video in the thread most of the time one of the fast guys is more than happy to show you their sector 1.

you could also ask if someone could take a look at your driving in an online lobby. so they can give you some pointers. I can help you out with that aswell if you have time next week.

Sometimes it's usefull to ask when the track was used last time. So you can download the replays from the leaderboard and watch them to see what everyone was doing back then.
http://wrs.gtplanet.net/GT6/results/83/ (you can download the replay by clicking the little green icon next to the final times)

Join the online races on wednesday or saturday. I know in the begining it can be a bit overwhelming but it's great fun and you'll learn a lot really fast. Unless you haven't got the time for it there isn't really a good reason not to participate. Skill or pace is irrelevant as long as you can keep it clean.

These are all boosters to get fast on track in a quicker way. But like most things it takes practice, the more the better. You can't cheat on it. So most important is to keep having fun and drive a lot.

Hope these pointers will literaly get you up to speed! Good luck with improving!

P.s. some extra youtube channels:
https://www.youtube.com/user/GTPPASM
https://www.youtube.com/user/tidgney
https://www.youtube.com/user/oinkoink8383

Last edited:
Sometimes it's usefull to ask when the track was used last time. So you can download the replays from the leaderboard and watch them to see what everyone was doing back then.

@DeuxMilles

I do a search (more) with the track name as the keyword in the WRS Archive section. In addition to knowing what week there were events often you will find a video of the winning lap was posted in the official results thread just like it was in week 83.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gtp_wrs-week-83-official-results.333558/#post-10930367

Hi,

thanks to everyone for your hints. I'm sure they will help a lot.

You asked for aids: No aids, only abs=1. Manual shifting, I never used automatic in the game. But the driving-line is always on, I feel more comfortable with it. Even when I do not follow it :)

Very small improvement, but an improvement, I keep trying. Let's see how the result will be on monday.

Once again, thanks!

D.

Hi,

thanks to everyone for your hints. I'm sure they will help a lot.

You asked for aids: No aids, only abs=1. Manual shifting, I never used automatic in the game. But the driving-line is always on, I feel more comfortable with it. Even when I do not follow it :)

Very small improvement, but an improvement, I keep trying. Let's see how the result will be on monday.

Once again, thanks!

D.
If it makes you feel better, this was the results thread from my first event. :)

The driving line is quite conservative with braking points. There's a delicate balance between braking as late as possible and still getting to the apex. VERY tough with this combo.

And the shift point thing I mentioned is key. Both of these cars like to be wound a bit above the redline shown on the tach. The back straight is a good place to figure out the optimum shift point. Like I said, try different things and see how you compare to your ghost.

The other thing with both cars is throttle control If you find yourself spinning up the wheels on exit, you need to focus on getting pointed straight before you hammer down. I know the modulation is tougher on controller, and I'm not even sure modulation is totally necessary in the Toyota. I am doing more with the steering wheel, both making sure I am straight and doing a quick little counter steer if it feels like it's going to step out on exit. If you spin them up, you lose 1-2 tenths right there.

Last edited:
Hi,

with lot of mistakes. Slides, missed apex....

New in this try: TC 2 (ABS still 1, rest of the aids still off). Maybe not the fastest setup, but much easier for me to handle with.
'Till monday I'd like to see 15-5/35-0 low or better :gtpflag:

Have a nice weekend,
D.

How short is this track!?? I usually manage four to seven hundred kilometers by the end of the trial; this week I'm still under a hundred, not for lack of effort.

Splits are better than hoped for, but overall still almost a full eight tenths off where I wanted to be. I think there are some speed bumps on turn 8 (penultimate?) that are throwing me off.

How you guys got faster in the Spoon I don't know, off to try it again following @mcsqueegy and @MadMax advice. Thanks guys 👍 realised I started to mess with the BB a bit to early. Hope to back with a faster time

@deaconblues82 everyone gives you brilliant advice. I've found checking the replays are a good way of improving before the races on wed's and dutchy's Vid's are great. What I did in the past was look at some of the fastest replays over and over then use the replay of someone who was about .5 or more faster than me as a ghost and try to match it. Sometimes it's just a slightly a different line or braking point sometimes it is simply the skill of the other guy. I found the driving line a distraction, I spend more time looking at it rather than looking for my braking and turn in points and sometimes it isn't the fastest line. nice new time by the way 👍

Yep @deaconblues82 that was meant for @DeuxMilles :lol: didn't notice till now

Last edited:
2.045 km | Elevation Gap: 5.3m | Longest Straight: 445m | Corners: 8 :boggled: In Imperial: 1.278 miles
:lol:Ha, thanks. I was typing rhetorically. (I hope I'm using that right)

Not enough stopwatch for you?
I'm not sure. Is that better than too much stopwatch? :D

@monkeywall :confused: I believe you have dialed a wrong number. Mine is more a problem of driving time, or a lack thereof and having ham fists more accustomed to twisting spanners than the control stick.
nice new time by the way 👍
Thanks!

Last edited:
Gave this another go after work, might have time for one more run before deadline:

Lower feedback used for this one, but there's still plenty to find (in Tsukuba terms) :dopey:

Here's some T1 videos as well, recorded them days ago but I've been very busy! :guilty:

Sent in a lap with Spoon Civic Type R (EK) '00 but forgot to check splits. Moving home next week so it'll have to do!

This lap had ABS 0 and brake bias 1 8, if I recall correctly. My best first sector, reasonable 2nd and 3rd. Certain corners were not as good as I've done them in other runs. Steering with DS3 just seems so badly nerfed and random. Struggling with the very stiff LSD for an FF, too.

Done about 30 disappointing laps in total. Hopefully it will end up better than my current 2.319 ranking.

Back