GTPlanet logo

• Thread starter nethereal
  • 16 comments
nethereal
Hey,

Wondering if anyone has the GTPlanet logo in vector format? I wanted to make myself a little animation for a race series in the Online Racing GT5 subforum and was hoping to save myself the time of manually doing a vector version by hand.

Cheers!

Jamie

Unless the series is officially associated with GTP in the same way as the WRS is you'll be asked to remove the GTP logo from the animation/banner anyways.

Save yourself a little effort and come up with a different idea. :)

Hi Jamie, as Boundary Layer said, the logo is really only to be used with "officially-sanctioned" race events. :)

I would think that the fact that the race series is excusively organised and managed through the GTPlanet forums, that giving a nod of respect to GTPlanet would be in order and "the right thing to do".

Also, there is 0 money being made from this. It is only costing individuals (yes, multiple people) time / money to bring it (a 2 second animation of the GTPlanet logo) to term.

I'd also like to point out that this is giving extra exposure to the site, and will draw more people to gtplanet and its forums (which WILL bring money to the site owners through advert clicks etc.). So all in all, it's a win win for everyone from a business and practical point of view.

Regardless of the logo, the GTPlanet forums would be mentioned due to the nature of the race series. So either: text at the beginning of the video (very unprofessional) , or an actual logo with a minor animation (2 seconds long as a prelude to the racing series logo animation).
Out of interest of delivering the best video for all to enjoy watching, I am going to do it to the best of my abilities with the available resources to me.

I'm all for protecting intellectual property, but not at the cost of common sense.

EDIT: Just saw "Site Founder" next to Jordans name.

Jordan, I'll send you a private link to the video before release so you can see for yourself and let me know what you think.

Last edited by a moderator:
the logo is really only to be used with "officially-sanctioned" race events. :)

How you define "officially-sanctioned" is what I'm curious about.

The Spec-Miata series uses the GTP logo and R1600Turbo put "Official" on the banner. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=139251

It is a great series and IMO one of the most organized ones in the online section, but I doubt it's as official as the WRS.

I'm about to start a series and special race in the near future and I'd love to put the Planet in my images. I don't see why you won't let people who are proud members of GTP use the logo for a series they start and run from this site. It can really rub your fans the wrong way and put them off of your site when they are just trying to bring more attention to what a great site this is.

I would think that the fact that the race series is excusively organised and managed through the GTPlanet forums, that giving a nod of respect to GTPlanet would be in order and "the right thing to do".

Also, there is 0 money being made from this. It is only costing individuals (yes, multiple people) time / money to bring it (a 2 second animation of the GTPlanet logo) to term.

I'd also like to point out that this is giving extra exposure to the site, and will draw more people to gtplanet and its forums (which WILL bring money to the site owners through advert clicks etc.). So all in all, it's a win win for everyone from a business and practical point of view.

Regardless of the logo, the GTPlanet forums would be mentioned due to the nature of the race series. So either: text at the beginning of the video (very unprofessional) , or an actual logo with a minor animation (2 seconds long as a prelude to the racing series logo animation).
Out of interest of delivering the best video for all to enjoy watching, I am going to do it to the best of my abilities with the available resources to me.

I'm all for protecting intellectual property, but not at the cost of common sense.

EDIT: Just saw "Site Founder" next to Jordans name.

Jordan, I'll send you a private link to the video before release so you can see for yourself and let me know what you think.
I'm sorry, I didn't really understood how you wanted to use the logo. I don't have a problem with it in this context. I can send a copy of it to your registration email address, if you want.

How you define "officially-sanctioned" is what I'm curious about.

The Spec-Miata series uses the GTP logo and R1600Turbo put "Official" on the banner. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=139251

It is a great series and IMO one of the most organized ones in the online section, but I doubt it's as official as the WRS.

I'm about to start a series and special race in the near future and I'd love to put the Planet in my images. I don't see why you won't let people who are proud members of GTP use the logo for a series they start and run from this site. It can really rub your fans the wrong way and put them off of your site when they are just trying to bring more attention to what a great site this is.
"Officially sanctioned" events are managed and organized by staff members or long-standing, trusted members of the OLR community. R1600Turbo never asked to use the logo for his competition, and he should not have used the word "official" in the title of his thread. However, I'm not going to chase him or anyone else down for using GTPlanet's "brand" in such a respectful way. To do otherwise would be draconian, unnecessary, and off-putting, as you said.

To understand why I generally say "no" to most specific inquiries of this type, you must appreciate the frequency in which I'm placed in such situations, and how nuanced and unpleasant they can be for me. For example, let's say an enthusiastic user sends me a message asking if he can start an "Official GTPlanet X1 International World Championship". He'll tell me how great it will be, and how many people will participate if I posted it on the blog, Facebook, Twitter, and set up a special forum dedicated to the competition. It's a flattering complement that he wants to make such a significant contribution to my community, but I can detect a lack of maturity in his posts and messages which makes it clear he will not have the work ethic or desire to take such a project past the first race. I have to turn him down as tactfully as I can.

A few days later, you come to me, asking if you can use the GTPlanet name or logo in your race series' name or banner image, just to make it look nice and help participants feel comfortable. Do I have a problem with that? No, but how is that other user going to feel when he knows I specifically granted you permission but turned him away? Like I said, it's not a pleasant situation for me, and I try to avoid it by simply denying all but the most exceptional requests.

By not taking a hard-line against use of the brand and by not granting everyone permission who asks for it, I'm awarded a greater deal of freedom and less awkwardness when dealing with these issues.

I can understand that you wouldn't want every goon out there to run amok with your logo and tarnish your brand. GTP is held in quite high regards. And I'll take that as a slight 👍 as long as there is serious intention to maintain a high level of quality when the brand is being used. Also; you're PMed. :)

Jordan, are you so busy that all you can do is read PMs and not even be bothered to type yes or no back to the person who sent it?

Even if you don't want to be nice and let someone donate some of their time to you, it's still rude to ignore people.

I'm sorry, I get hundreds of messages per day and often lose track of what does and does not need a response. You can definitely forget about getting any response to your message now, though.

Why is that... because I'm trying to get a response? It took you more time to type that message than it would have taken to send a yes/no PM. I understand you are a super busy guy, which is why anytime I PM you with any kind of question I make sure to stick with a yes or no question in hopes that I can get a response without taking too much of your time.

It is because of the way you are trying to get a response. Likewise, it would have taken you less time to compose a message asking, "Hey Jordan, did you get a chance to look over that last PM I sent you?" instead of those sarcastic remarks above.

Jordan, are you so busy that all you can do is read PMs and not even be bothered to type yes or no back to the person who sent it?

Even if you don't want to be nice and let someone donate some of their time to you, it's still rude to ignore people.

Wow, talk about something you never, never do. Good thing you wrote this to Jordan and not someone you're trying to do business with. That's so unprofessional. Who do you think he is, your congressman?

It is because of the way you are trying to get a response. Likewise, it would have taken you less time to compose a message asking, "Hey Jordan, did you get a chance to look over that last PM I sent you?" instead of those sarcastic remarks above.
I absolutely must apologize. I've had a pretty rough day dealing with people who keep giving me the runaround; they owe me a bit of money. I have tried contacting you privately twice about the same thing with no response and I felt I was getting the runaround here as well. I was blowing off steam in the wrong place. Again, I'm terribly sorry.

Good thing you wrote this to Jordan and not someone you're trying to do business with.
Actually, that's kind of the case. :ouch:

Unfortunately it seems the only way to garner a response is publicly and I just wanted to talk to Jordan about it since he's in charge of the site. But it's really not of a private matter, so I'll just put it here...

I'm unemployed. I went to school for graphic design and it's hard to get work because nobody wants to hire someone right out of school. Kinda hard to get experience when nobody will give you a job. I am trying to ask Jordan for the logo so I can design some new T-shirts for GTP. The ones available are looking dated and I feel like I could do some good for the site. I'm not even looking to get paid for it or even a guarantee that my designs would be used. I just wanted to show what I could do in hopes that Jordan might like my work and get some shirts made. Then I could at least have it on my résumé that I've made shirt designs for a well established brand.

Might at least make it easier to get my foot in the door, right?

If you're putting that on your resume, I'm putting my Joey DK-mode on mine.

Am I supposed to know what that means? I don't know what you do, but if that would look good when you apply for a job in the field you desire... I say go for it. Every little bit helps.

In the business of art/design it helps tremendously to have "published works" or something in your portfolio that has real world use and not just a bunch of school samples. Regardless what you think about me designing a shirt, it would definitely intrigue a potential employer if I could show them a physical shirt and say that a "world renowned website sells my design."

Hi,

As the opening post says, I would also like to ask if I could get the logo (HD resolution please)
I would like to make a little animation of it to introduct my WRS Podium videos

Jordan, I would naturally send a first copy of the intro your way for your approval.

Thanks in advance

PS: Yes or no... I will respect any answer given to my question

Back