GTPlanet Topics in 1986

• Thread starter Pupik
  • 61 comments
Fax Machine Appreciation Thread

How different were Nineteen Eighty-Four and 1984 really?

Expansion Of The European Community - Pros & Cons

Space Shuttle Challenger Explodes On Take-Off

Diego Maradona Handball Scandal!

What are you listening to now?

Hey guys, I was just wondering what everyone was listening to. Trying to find new cassettes for my Walkman. I found out about this cool new song and it's really catchy!

Sorry! I couldn't play it.

images(39).jpg

April Fools:

"In keeping with the usual release schedule, George Lucas has announced a new Star Wars movie is coming this year. There's a twist though; it's a prequel, and will explore Darth Vader's early life."

:guilty:

- What a disaster, I was out on recess in the play ground when we all saw this huge fireball and smoke ball in the sky. Our teachers panicked and shooed us indoors real quickly. They never told us why. When I got home my mother told me about the Challenger and that is what I saw.

Spaceshuttle Challenger explodes

Banhammer squad needs to lock your thread too ;-)

- How the Dewey Decimal System may change by the Personal Computer

- Today in Typing Class I found out my teacher is a Communist

April Fools:

"In keeping with the usual release schedule, George Lucas has announced a new Star Wars movie is coming this year. There's a twist though; it's a prequel, and will explore Darth Vader's early life."

:guilty:
Well that sounds terrible.

I wish people would actually do the research on car stats for the Radical Wall. How hard can it be to subscribe to multiple car mags to get all the required info?

*Marks down latest results by hand*

Last edited:
"I'd say this Alex Ferguson guy could be decent for United if he's managed to break the Old Firm stranglehold with Aberdeen."

Michael Jackson's soul glow saturated hair catching on fire while filming a pepsi commercial. Probably old news by 86 though

WRS Week 12: Prepare to Qualify

Game: Pole Position II
Track: Seaside
Car: (the only one)
Site: Local Pizza Parlor

Important Notices:

Best times around the track count
Bring your own quarters
No refunds
Wait your turn
No explosions

Sharing Your Replay:

Must bring buddy (no relatives) to vouch for times
Bring receipt showing purchase of one large pizza or calzone.

Meanwhile in Australia:
Privateer Entry Stuns Rivals To Win Bathurst
What Will Peter Brock Do Next?

Also:
A New Terminator Movie?
Why Super Mario Will Be A Future Classic
Nintendo Entertainment System: General Discussion
Is Group B Rally Too Dangerous?
New Touring Car Format Coming
Your Record Collection
Nissan To Revive The GT-R Badge
Group 5 Discussion Thread
Porsche Dominates Le Mans... Again
What Would Video Games Look Like in 30 years?
WSC '86 General Discussion
Jaguar In Talks With Tom Walkinshaw For Le Mans Assault
Larry Perkins Linked To Jaguar?
New Corvette Coming To Replace Ageing C3

Last edited:
News: New studio Ubisoft announce incomplete games will be sold in instalments called “post outs”, but you pay extra for each new development before it goes in the mail.

"A Channel "Tunnel"?"

"Nicotine Patch. Will It Work?"

"New Macintosh Plus Revealed"

"Game & Watch Successor In The Works?"

- MTV is it the Devil's doing?

- Is it me or does this generation's music sound like sexual stalkers are writing the lyrics?

- T&C Surf Design Shirts.... Florida loves them, Connecticut thinks your white trash for wearing them

- Boston fans are in outrage over Bill Buckner

I have an incredible good idea. Why not start a Christmas contest. Two years ago, in 1984, Wham! released a song called "Last Christmas".
It's a contest to avoid listning to the Last Christmas song during December. Maybe this contest will still be around in 2017, that's 31 years from now.

The thread title could be:

GTPlant vs Wham!

💡

I have an incredible good idea. Why not start a Christmas contest. Two years ago, in 1984, Wham! released a song called "Last Christmas".
It's a contest to avoid listning to the Last Christmas song during December. Maybe this contest will still be around in 2017, that's 31 years from now.

The thread title could be:

GTPlant vs Wham!

💡
Why? We're already avoiding Bing Crosby, we don't want another to avoid.
GTPlanet vs Bing Crosby
R-687633-1317994612.jpeg.jpg

I'm dreaming of a White Christmas

Bing has been gone for over 9 years now, but his festive musical number is still played everywhere. The song is religiously played every year as soon as decorations come out. GTPlanet will run this annual 'contest' where the aim of the game is to avoid the song during November and December.

Happy Binging!

General Rules and Guidelines:
  • Survive 1986 (i.e. 23:59.59 in your time zone) without listening to White Christmas by Bing Crosby.
  • Post in this thread before December 1 to show your interest in being a 'participating member'.
  • Only the original song performed by Bing Crosby counts. Covers by artists like Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra or Johnny Mathis do not count.
  • Hearing any part of the song counts as a binging. If you are unsure of the song's origin, keep listening to find out if it's a Bing version or a cover/remix.
  • GIFs, still images or muted video do not count.
  • When you hear the music, consider yourself binged, out of the competition and on the Binged User Log.
  • The Binged User Log (BUL) is the younger, festive version of the Banned user log. It tells us when and how a member got Binged. If you get binged, post here and tag myself (@Daniel) so I get a notification and can promptly update it.
  • Do not post any links to the song in this thread without sufficient warning. This place is a safe haven.
  • While the rest of the site is free reign, keep in mind the site's rules regarding misleading (next bullet point)
  • You will not knowingly post any material that is false, misleading, or inaccurate.
  • If you play the link in the OP with any intention outside of refreshing your memory, you will be binged if you hear it.
Some tips to avoid the song:
  • Do not trust anyone.
  • Avoid shopping at department stores, clothing stores, supermarkets - anything that may have a radio playing.
  • If you must step outside, consider earplugs, or your own boombox to drown the sound out.
  • Do not trust anyone.
  • Have your computer defaulted to 'mute' and make sure that your volume is off while opening any links.
  • Do not talk to any other GTPers using the newfangled and scary internet. We are all evil and cannot be trusted, especially @Jordon.
If you haven't yet head the song, just click on the video below to watch it before avoiding it until next year.

Good luck everyone.

You'll need it.

'Bing Ping' Avatar Files

Why? We're already avoiding Bing Crosby, we don't want another to avoid.
Yes, we do need another contest.

I know but avoiding Bing Crosby is easy. Wham! is not. And this Wham! contest could become a yearly tradition and still be around in 2017, 31 years from now.
Bing Crosby's contest will end after a maximum of two years.

In 1986, GTP wouldn't be a website, but a good old fashion BBS!

We'd have topics like:

- How often are you disconnecting from GTP because your parents need to make a phone call?
- What's your average phone bill as a result of spending time on GTP?
- 9600 baud vs 14k4, worth the upgrade?

(Someone should really make an ASCII art of a GTP BBS mockup :P)

Latest Posts

Back